pixeltracker

Netflix sues Barlow & Bear Over “Bridgerton”

Netflix sues Barlow & Bear Over “Bridgerton”

CATSNYrevival Profile Photo
CATSNYrevival
#2Netflix sues Barlow & Bear Over “Bridgerton”
Posted: 7/29/22 at 7:49pm

I'm honestly surprised this didn't happen sooner, but what is the difference between this and the unofficial Stranger Things musical and all the other parody musicals that seem to play just fine without facing lawsuits? Why isn't Netflix also going after the Stranger Sings! musical parody?

pmensky
#3Netflix sues Barlow & Bear Over “Bridgerton”
Posted: 7/29/22 at 7:51pm

CATSNYrevival said: "I'm honestly surprised this didn't happen sooner, but what is the difference between this and the unofficial Stranger Things musical and all the other parody musicals that seem to play just fine without facing lawsuits? Why isn't Netflix also going after the Stranger Sings! musical parody?"

Because parodies are protected. I think the difference here seems to be that Netflix declined approval, but Bear and Barlow put that they had approval in their various notices.

ahhrealmonsters
#4Netflix sues Barlow & Bear Over “Bridgerton”
Posted: 7/29/22 at 10:22pm

CATSNYrevival said: "I'm honestly surprised this didn't happen sooner, but what is the difference between this and the unofficial Stranger Things musical and all the other parody musicals that seem to play just fine without facing lawsuits? Why isn't Netflix also going after the Stranger Sings! musical parody?"

Bridgerton isn’t a parody. It’s a straight up adaptation. Per definition, parody is “a literary or artistic work that imitates the characteristic style of an author or a work for comic effect or ridicule.” Bridgerton is not that.

themick2
#5Netflix sues Barlow & Bear Over “Bridgerton”
Posted: 7/29/22 at 10:29pm

Oh NO!

What will this mean for the TV-to-stage show pipeline??

CATSNYrevival Profile Photo
CATSNYrevival
#6Netflix sues Barlow & Bear Over “Bridgerton”
Posted: 7/29/22 at 11:15pm

Forgive me. I’ve always assumed this project was a joke.

jimmycurry01
#7Netflix sues Barlow & Bear Over “Bridgerton”
Posted: 7/30/22 at 12:40am

CATSNYrevival said: "Forgive me. I’ve always assumed this project was a joke."

Likewise. At no point did I believe this was anything other than a joke that managed to pick up steam.

sng
#8Netflix sues Barlow & Bear Over “Bridgerton”
Posted: 7/30/22 at 12:48am

I'm on Netflix's side here as they did in fact offer the rights for Barlow and Bear but they refused as per stated in the article. What did they expect to happen?

Call_me_jorge Profile Photo
Call_me_jorge
#9Netflix sues Barlow & Bear Over “Bridgerton”
Posted: 7/30/22 at 12:50am

This won the freaking grammy award for best musical theatre album, how can that be classified as a 'joke?'

In our millions, in our billions, we are most powerful when we stand together. TW4C unwaveringly joins the worldwide masses, for we know our liberation is inseparably bound. Signed, Theater Workers for a Ceasefire https://theaterworkersforaceasefire.com/statement

CoffeeBreak Profile Photo
CoffeeBreak
#10Netflix sues Barlow & Bear Over “Bridgerton”
Posted: 7/30/22 at 12:59am

That Grammy should be taken back.

pmensky
#11Netflix sues Barlow & Bear Over “Bridgerton”
Posted: 7/30/22 at 1:00am

Call_me_jorge said: "This won the freaking grammy award for best musical theatre album, how can that be classified as a 'joke?'"

Kind of makes you wonder if there are any rules for the Grammy Awards about the unauthorized use of copy-write materials. 

SouthernCakes
#12Netflix sues Barlow & Bear Over “Bridgerton”
Posted: 7/30/22 at 3:01am

To sell merch… come on now. 

DaveyG
#13Netflix sues Barlow & Bear Over “Bridgerton”
Posted: 7/30/22 at 9:55am

Call_me_jorge said: "This won the freaking grammy award for best musical theatre album, how can that be classified as a 'joke?'"

I would argue that they won the Grammy partly due to name recognition of the title. It’s one of the most popular IP’s in the world. Netflix’s mistake was not shutting it down sooner. Copyright laws have to be respected. 

bk
#14Netflix sues Barlow & Bear Over “Bridgerton”
Posted: 7/30/22 at 12:04pm

DaveyG said: "Call_me_jorge said: "This won the freaking grammy award for best musical theatre album, how can that be classified as a 'joke?'"

I would argue that they won the Grammy partly due to name recognition of the title. It’s one of the most popular IP’s in the world. Netflix’s mistake was not shutting it down sooner. Copyright laws have to be respected.
"

Finally, someone who understands. Name recognition and a very well thought out campaign to get it.

BroadwayRox3588 Profile Photo
BroadwayRox3588
#15Netflix sues Barlow & Bear Over “Bridgerton”
Posted: 7/30/22 at 7:16pm

It's honestly so exhausting to see so many people (mainly teens) on Twitter, automatically siding with Barlow & Bear, without even listening to Netflix's case.

Sure, some of them are probably just B&B stans. But for the vast majority, it seems to be merely an assumption that the TikTokers are wounded puppy dog victims, and the big corporation is a big, nasty Scrooge. And some of them admit that they haven't read the lawsuit, or even listened to the album in the first place!

Why do critical thinking skills seem to be a dying art?

TaffyDavenport Profile Photo
TaffyDavenport
pmensky
#17Netflix sues Barlow & Bear Over “Bridgerton”
Posted: 9/23/22 at 10:20pm

I hope this means we’ll soon hear news that a licensing agreement has been reached and that everyone will get the proper credit and payment they deserve.

akhoya87
#18Netflix sues Barlow & Bear Over “Bridgerton”
Posted: 9/24/22 at 1:45am

Generally, you don't dismiss a suit with prejudice unless you've settled...

BoringBoredBoard40
#19Netflix sues Barlow & Bear Over “Bridgerton”
Posted: 9/27/22 at 2:31pm

Variety confirms they settled meaning this probably is never going to see the light of day as a concert again

Videos