pixeltracker

Oklahoma! and "I'm Thinking of Ending Things"

Oklahoma! and "I'm Thinking of Ending Things"

Ravenclaw
#1Oklahoma! and "I'm Thinking of Ending Things"
Posted: 9/6/20 at 6:13pm

The new Charlie Kaufman on Netflix, I'm Thinking of Ending Things has a references to Oklahoma! scattered throughout, including in the final sequence, which would be criminal to spoil.

Anyone else catch this film? It surely won't be everyone's cup of tea here, especially if you're not already on board with what Kaufman likes to do. I really enjoyed it, though I know I'm far from understanding how everything in the film fits together.

And there's a great Toni Collette performance to boot!

I'm curious to hear others' takes on this film, specifically in regards to the Oklahoma! material.

ahhrealmonsters
#2Oklahoma! and "I'm Thinking of Ending Things"
Posted: 9/6/20 at 10:43pm

Well, I went in blind, foolishly assuming it would be a romantic drama, a la A Marriage Story. I had no idea what I was getting myself into. That was quite a mindf*ck. I've read a bunch of articles about it, and now I have a better grasp on what I just spend 2 hours watching. As I'm not as familiar with the other book/movie/etc. references, I really latched onto the Oklahoma! parts. I'm curious as to how people who are not familiar with the musical interpret it. Probably the way I interpret the film and book references... I kind of wish I knew at least what genre I was expecting, but I love going into films (and plays and books) blind. I'm going to look up Kaufman's work - I'm sure I've seen some of his other films, but I'm not familiar with him as a director.

CT2NYC Profile Photo
CT2NYC
#3Oklahoma! and
Posted: 9/7/20 at 12:46am

I thought the film was brilliant and unsettling, and this article does a great job of explaining it. I hadn’t read the original novel, so it definitely helped put the pieces together, and now I’m interested in revisiting it. Spoilers abound, so read only after you’ve watched:

https://www.vanityfair.com/hollywood/2020/09/im-thinking-of-ending-things-ending-explained-book-oklahoma

Updated On: 9/7/20 at 12:46 AM

TheQuibbler Profile Photo
TheQuibbler
#4Oklahoma! and
Posted: 9/7/20 at 11:48am

CT2NYC said: "I thought thefilmwas brilliant and unsettling, andthis articledoes a great job of explaining it. I hadn’t read the original novel, so it definitely helped put the pieces together, and now I’m interested in revisiting it.Spoilers abound, so read only after you’ve watched:

https://www.vanityfair.com/hollywood/2020/09/im-thinking-of-ending-things-ending-explained-book-oklahoma
"

Thanks so much for that article. I watched the film yesterday and enjoyed it very much (the performances, the mystery of it), but I definitely didn't understand it. This reading makes a lot of sense. 

BrodyFosse123 Profile Photo
BrodyFosse123
#5Oklahoma! and
Posted: 9/7/20 at 11:54am

Ledaero Profile Photo
Ledaero
#6Oklahoma! and
Posted: 9/8/20 at 2:02am

Watched this the other night and have been thinking about the Oklahoma! references a lot. It seems to me that the majority of this film was a retelling of the dream ballet, with Jessie Buckley's character being Laurey and using her indecisiveness about the relationship to be mirrored in Laurey's indecisiveness about Jud and Curly. I love how they slowly change Jake from a standard protagonist (Curly) into a pseudo-antagonist (Jud) by the end, clearly done in its final moments. Hard to talk without giving away spoilers, but I found it all fascinating.

Videos