News on your favorite shows, specials & more!

Profile for factorykid2

factorykid2 Profile Photo
Member Name: factorykid2
Contact User: You must be logged in to contact BWW members.

Most Recent Message Board Posts:

View Off Topic Posts

Tony Kushner and Patti LuPone at ANGELS IN AMERICA on 5/7/18
 May 7 2018, 04:17:57 PM

I was fortunate enough to be at the performance, as well. I was a few rows behind Ms. Lupone and across the aisle from Griffin Dunne, who was also at the performance. The audience treated both as private citizens, pretending not to acknowledge that they (specifically Patti Lupone) was in the audience.

It was only when Mr. Kushner, just prior to the curtain of Part Two, walked down the aisle to greet Ms. Lupone that we stopped pretending. It would be impossible not to acknowle

'Favorite' or 'Definitive' rendition of "Being Alive'
 Jun 23 2011, 12:19:55 PM
Earlier this week I went to a screening of "Company" with a friend (both loved it). He asked me if there is a definitive recording of the song. I wasn't sure how to answer. Is the OCR considered definitive? - not sure it is for this song...

The first version I heard was Streisand's 'Broadway Album'. Favorite recording is Patti LuPone from "Sondheim: A Celebration", with Bernadette Peters rendition on "Sondheim, Etc." a distant, but notable second.

Wondering what other folks

RIP - Bill LaVorgna
 Jul 31 2007, 10:02:43 PM
Bill LaVorgna, who was Liza Minnelli's Musical Director for decades (and played drums for her mother) died today after suffering a heart attack on Saturday. He was a terrific musician and widely regarded as one of the best concert drummers around.
Ruth Brown's Funeral Arrangements Announced
 Nov 22 2006, 03:16:10 PM
As reported on dailypress.com
--------------
The funeral for R&B star Ruth Brown will be held 11 a.m. Tuesday at Willett Hall in Portsmouth [VA], the late singer's hometown. A memorial service and viewing will take place 2-7 p.m. on Monday, also at Willett Hall. Both are open to the public.

Corprew Funeral Home is in charge of arrangements.

re: Tony winner Ruth Brown Dead at 78
 Nov 18 2006, 11:40:46 AM
Miss Brown died while at the top of her game. When I saw her (less than three months ago) she was fantastic. Her voice was strong and she was "getting paid", which meant alot to her. She had also recently recorded some new songs....

My interview with Miss Brown for BroadwayWorld.com is here:

https://www.broadwayworld.com/viewcolumn.cfm?colid=11811

re: Is It Ever OK to Cancel a Show If the Audience is Too Small?
 Oct 2 2006, 09:31:43 PM
I think that if an audience (of even one) has shown up for your show, the show goes on. I think that it can be modified, in some way acknowledging low attendence, which is probably easier to do in smaller, fringier (is that a word?) productions.

I have been to at least a handful of performances at which the cast outnumbered the audience....I have seen it happen at Improv theater stuff a couple of times. Also a really terrific local production of Oklahoma....

re: Hilarious Comments Overheard By Tourists and Audience Members
 Sep 11 2006, 01:41:29 PM
O.k. I can't remember who (exactly) this was about...but I am pretty sure I was at a Wednesday matinee....

Person in front of me making pleasant, patient, theater conversation to the nice ladies to his left:

Bernadette Peters is in the role of "Mama Rose", she did "Annie Get Your Gun" a couple of years ago.

Nice ladies: Oh, we saw Cheryl Ladd do that, she was great! I am sure that Bernadette Peters was good too, though

RIP Willi Ninja
 Sep 8 2006, 04:15:33 PM
Willi Ninja, who was one of the stars of the documentary film, "Paris is Burning" died on September 2, 2006. Ninja died of AIDS-related heart failure at New York Hospital Medical Center of Queens. He was 45.

He was widely credited as being the "Godfather of Voguing" and was the "Mother" of the house of Ninja.

In reaction to his death, "Paris is Burning" director, Jennie Livingston said "Whenever you talk about vogue or voguing, Willi's name is there."

I think that he

re: Best Prostitution Songs
 Aug 31 2006, 01:25:44 PM
I like all of the songs listed...especially, "Don't Tell Mama" from Cabaret for its clever word-play.

"Use What You Got" from The Life (I like the concept album version sung by Liza Minnelli, kinda world weary...)

re: Did Julie Andrews reject a tony nomination for Victor/Victoria
 May 15 2006, 10:47:44 AM
RE: Nathan Lane's great bit at the Tony Awards. The curtain rises, the performer's back is to the audience, wearing a Faboulous cape and a near-replica of the headress that Julie wore in the "Le Jazz Hot" number of V/V.

Pause, Pause, performer turns around to face the audience and it is Nathan Lane. Audience Explodes with laughter and applause. Pause, Pause, Nathan says something like "Oh come On...you didn't really think she would be here tonight!!!"

Jan Maxwell Leaving "Presenting Mr. Sloane"
 Apr 27 2006, 07:04:00 PM
NYT Headline:

"Actress Leaves 'Mr. Sloane'; Baldwin's Behavior Is Blamed"

http://www.nytimes.com/2006/04/27/theater/27sloa.html?ex=1146801600&en=0c0d55aa26ac7f33&ei=5070&emc=eta1

I saw the play, and I think that their not getting along did wonders for their chemistry on stage.

re: Forbidden Broadway
 Apr 12 2006, 12:49:43 PM
I haven't seen FB SVU, but the ones I have seen I loved. It is always worth seeing.

Understanding that they are probably a litte dated, My favorite skits are:

Chita / Rita (america)
Liza one-note (johnny one-note)

Both of them slay me.

Bernadette Peters on "This Week" with George Stephenopoulos
 Apr 9 2006, 09:17:40 AM
Bernie will be on talking about the anniversary of the ASPCA and "Broadway Barks"
re: calling all FLOP COLLECTORS! i really need you!
 Apr 8 2006, 01:58:49 PM
www.ibdb.com

internet broadway database

I am not sure who runs it, but it is pretty good.

I think you are missing the biggest broadway flop of my lifetime which was a revival of "Little Johnny Jones. It played for one night, March 21, 1982.

http://www.ibdb.com/production.asp?ID=4164

What show (that you haven't yet seen) would you turn down a free ticket to?
 Apr 5 2006, 12:45:43 PM
I assume that most of the folks on the site are theatre freaks and geeks who would see almost any show if they were given a free ticket.

For me, it is almost universally true that I would see ANYTHING. But... there are a couple of shows that I haven't seen and don't want to see. I have actually lied and told people I have seen a couple of shows. It is a way to, politely, turn down a friend/relative who is excited to see a show and would pay for me to see, for instance Mamma Mia or Bl

Dont Like It... Can't Make Me....
 Apr 5 2006, 12:19:45 PM
Worst is hard. I wonder how some of the shows listed here could be the "worst".

I have seen so much god-awful, horrible, theatre, but it is usually touring or local productions of really good shows.

I have seen a local production of MAME that would make Jerry Herman kill himself before he sat through the second act.

And there was that production of Victor/Victoria done "in the round" where the best thing that I can say is that the "actors" remembered the words.

re: Showstoppers - Witnessed Accounts of Show-Stopping Moments
 Jan 6 2005, 01:27:09 PM

On July 3, 1996 Harborlights Pavillion Boston MA

Liza Minnelli sings "The Man that Got Away".

It was the first time that I had heard her sing any of the songs that are associated with her mother.

A sax man plays the first ten wailing, defiant notes. I remember saying to my companion..."oh my god...THIS...is a moment to remember"

And then she sang the hell out of the song. To borrow a quote "Her voice was as big as a '71 Cadillac and she drove it

You must log in to view off-topic posts.

Videos

TICKET CENTRAL

Recommended For You