News on your favorite shows, specials & more!

Profile for Menken Fan

Menken Fan Profile Photo
Member Name: Menken Fan
Contact User: You must be logged in to contact BWW members.
Profile:

Most Recent Message Board Posts:

View Off Topic Posts

THE QUEEN OF VERSAILLES musical will have pre-Bway tryout this summer in Boston
 Jul 20 2024, 03:09:26 PM

DiscoCrows said: "Is there a song list?"

One wasn’t provided. 

Jul 20 2024, 02:00:45 PM

Oh yeah…I forgot about the dead lizard song. And the daughter’s song about her diary, which she calls her Book of Random, for some reason. ✂️✂️

I hope they find better ways to use the daughter and the niece. They, along with the maid, could have some really moving scenes/songs about how Jackie affects their lives. 

Jul 20 2024, 09:39:25 AM

Yes, the second act is serious and depressing, and loses all the fun of the first act. I think the biggest problem is that the show focuses almost exclusively on Jackie, and Kristen is doing massive work in that portrayal. But Jackie is so vacuous. It doesn’t seem like she has any real emotions or care much about anything other than material possessions. You even doubt she has any love for her husband or children. She jokes about not even remembering how many she has. Even when you thin

Jul 18 2024, 11:10:48 PM

DiscoCrows said: "That was such great info! Thank you for the breakdown.

Click Here To Toggle Spoiler Content
So, does the musical actually reference/exist in the world and context of the actual documentary? Like it’s referred to and part of the story? I had assumed this would play out as a dramatizationofthe documenta
 Jul 18 2024, 06:45:41 PM

I caught the second preview last night. It's definitely a work in progress. I rewatched the documentary recently, and the first 3/4 of the musical pretty closely follows the documentary. The last 1/4 takes place after the documentary and covers its premiere at Sundance, as well as a financial recovery and some family developments.

Overall, I was pretty middle-of-the-road on what I saw. The book doesn't really go anywhere interesting, and Jackie (Kristen Chenoweth) is r

Jul 16 2024, 10:34:12 AM

Headed there now to see it tomorrow…

Muhammad ALI musical to premiere in Chicago spring 2025
 Jul 10 2024, 09:48:58 AM

Always exciting to get these premieres here in Chicago, even if the quality and stage of development are all over the place. 

Looking at their bios, the composer and book writer doesn’t seem to have composed or written any musicals before, so I’m curious. 

THE DEVIL WEARS PRADA musical headed to the UK and West End in 2024
 Jul 7 2024, 03:26:48 PM

RW3 said: "Song list from Theatreboard

Act one

I mean business
House of Miranda
I mean business - reprise
I only love you for your body
How to survive at Runway
How to survive at Runway - reprise
Girl for the job
In or out - part one
How to survive at Runway - reprise two
Dress your way up
In or out - part two
How to survive at Runway - reprise three
The devil wears prada
Mira

Jason Robert Brown, Taylor Mac, Rob Ashford collaborating on MIDNIGHT IN THE GARDEN OF GOOD AND EVIL musical adaptation
 Jul 4 2024, 06:50:24 PM

I very much like hearing about the tweaks they are making in this process.  However, I haven't really heard one change that would strengthen the story or focus, or address any of the primary criticisms people have had, even a little bit. I mean, no one was complaining about the method that Jim uses to smack Danny's ass.

I was hoping they be working on more substantial changes in advance of opening night in a few nights.

Jason Robert Brown, Taylor Mac, Rob Ashford collaborating on MIDNIGHT IN THE GARDEN OF GOOD AND EVIL musical adaptation
 Jul 4 2024, 10:14:12 AM

Broadway Flash said: "The set looks big and impressive. Is Sierra boggess funny in this show?"

She does get to do some light comedy as the cartoonish foil to Jim. In a recurring bit, she keeps aggressively singing about how she has been invited to the White House, in an effort to impress everyone.

And her wig is pretty funny too.

Jun 28 2024, 01:12:57 PM

In that Chris Jones piece, it says "In the book, Lady Chablis...is one of many colorful Savannah characters whose personas inhabit Berendt’s vividly drawn chapters, almost all centered on compelling people. In the musical, though, she will be the narrator of the entire story; a replacement, really, for Berendt’s own authorial voice."

But, I didn't get the impression that she was the narrator of the entire story, and as I mentioned, I think the structure would

Jun 27 2024, 03:32:19 PM

RippedMan said: "There are just two different stories being told. Lady C has zero to do with the murder trail storyline. I normally hate a narrator character but these seems like a natural choice. Maybe have Lady C narrate and comment on the different characters to the “writer.”"

This is exactly what I've been thinking since seeing it a couple days ago. Use the amazing asset you have in J. Harrison Ghee, and add them throughout the rest of the show.&n

BOOP! The Betty Boop Musical - Pre-Broadway Chi
 Jun 27 2024, 10:25:20 AM

Saw this several times in Chicago and posted thoughts way up above, but I'm excited to see what they've done with this. It was pretty solid and super entertaining.  Mostly great songs, big ol' dance numbers and so funny. Jasmine Amy Rogers was magnificent too.

Jun 26 2024, 01:04:49 AM

Just saw the first preview, and while I think it's unfair to review something at this stage, I do have some thoughts to share.

Overall, I thought the show was frustratingly unfocused, both in plot and style. It's unclear what is the central story that we should care about and almost feels like just a character study of the various residents of Savannah. There is no reporter/writer character in this musical. Instead, a number of characters directly address the audience with line

Metcalf stars in Hunter’s LITTLE BEAR RIDGE ROAD at Steppenwoolf, directed by Mantello
 Jun 24 2024, 03:06:25 PM

Chris Jones' glowing review is out:

Chicago Tribune Review

4 Stars

CABARET at the Kit Kat Club (2024) Opening Night Critics' Reviews
 Jun 23 2024, 04:48:47 PM

JSquared2 said: "Menken Fan said: "At tonight’s performance. Gayle is out, because of course she is. Half the leads in shows I’ve seen this week were out.

also, the lobby experience, pre show and entering the theatre are just as useless and infuriating as ever.
"

Gee, you sound like fun!

"

I really am. I just don't think this show and experience is.

The understudy I saw was Paige Smallwood.  I&#

CABARET at the Kit Kat Club (2024) Opening Night Critics' Reviews
 Jun 20 2024, 07:32:32 PM

At tonight’s performance. Gayle is out, because of course she is. Half the leads in shows I’ve seen this week were out. 

also, the lobby experience, pre show and entering the  theatre are just as useless and infuriating as ever. 

'CATS: The Jellicle Ball' at PAC reviews
 Jun 20 2024, 12:12:15 AM

Saw this tonight. It’s incredible. Whoever had the spark of the idea for this concept is genius. And the creative team that made this happen did a perfect job.  It’s the most reimagined reimagining of any show I’ve ever seen. Fantastic performances, moving tributes to ball culture, great costumes, party atmosphere, all worked together seamlessly. It worked so well, I was thinking how has this never been conceived before. If this is what Cats is now, I’m all for it

TAMMY FAYE will transfer to Broadway in 2024-2025 Season
 Jun 17 2024, 02:56:05 PM

Broadway Flash said: "There’s also Aaron tveit who would definitely sell ticketsbut I think Gavin Creel would be perfect in the role. His voice is so smooth and slightly soft spoken it’s perfect for a shady closeted conman."

Jumped in here to say the same thing. Gavin would be absolutely perfect. Should we start a petition? 😄

Hilty & Simard to lead DEATH BECOMES HER in Chicago spring 2024
 May 30 2024, 12:29:16 AM

Natalie was fantastic in her debut as Helen tonight! She is 95% Jen Simard, and she killed it.  I've never been disappointed by amazing understudies. She was flawless and kept mouthing "What the F***" during the curtain call. Brava to Natalie.

You must log in to view off-topic posts.

Videos

TICKET CENTRAL

Recommended For You