News on your favorite shows, specials & more!

Profile for Menken Fan

Menken Fan Profile Photo
Member Name: Menken Fan
Contact User: You must be logged in to contact BWW members.
Profile:

Most Recent Message Board Posts:

View Off Topic Posts

Hilty & Simard to lead DEATH BECOMES HER in Chicago spring 2024  May 3 2024, 06:05:49 PM

SrMrtn said: "Did they have an understudy list?"

For Madeline Ashton, Helen Sharp, and Viola Van Horn: Kaleigh Cronin

For Madeline Ashton and Helen Sharp: Natalie Charle Ellis

For Viola Van Horn: Johanna Moise

For Ernest Menville: Bud Weber, Ryan Worsing

How is Jinkx Monsoon as Audrey.  May 3 2024, 02:01:45 PM

Kad said: "I haven’t seen the production since the original cast pre-pandemic- have subsequent Audreys kept Tammy Blanchard’s idiosyncratic take on the character as being somewhat… drugged?"

Thankfully not. I’ve seen Jinkx, Lena and Joy. None of them acted like they were drugged, spun around and hit in the head with a shovel before performing. 

Hilty & Simard to lead DEATH BECOMES HER in Chicago spring 2024  May 3 2024, 09:49:42 AM

Those curtain and morgue mishaps and the responses got some of the biggest laughs of the night. Megan and Jennifer are comic genius. And apparently great with the ad libs. 

Seems to me that wedding sponsorship might change nightly, just for fun, and might also be an ad lib from Megan. 

The cast, including Michelle Williams, seemed much more comfortable and having more fun than the first preview. 

How is Jinkx Monsoon as Audrey.  May 1 2024, 12:25:44 PM

I could be wrong, but it seemed like several of the songs had random key changes that were not there before.

How is Jinkx Monsoon as Audrey.  May 1 2024, 11:34:41 AM

I also love Jinkx and was so thrilled to return to the show for a sixth time to see her. She definitely added her own spin, didn't copy other previous Audreys and added many fun comedic bits. It killed me that she greeted the Urchins as "Hi Crystal, Hi Ronnette" and then a vicious scowling "Hi Chiffon", like there was some backstory or rivalry that I really need to know about.

The transposed score for her was so obvious and kept jumping keys randomly throug

Hilty & Simard to lead DEATH BECOMES HER in Chicago spring 2024  May 1 2024, 11:27:08 AM

I had a hard time getting through this last night. Maybe I set my expectations too high.

Megan and Jennifer are fantastic, but they are working really hard to carry this material. Megan is perfect for this role. I love Jennifer, and she is realistic and believable in the first act, but she develops a crazy accent and mannerisms starting from the point in the story when she's in the asylum, which make her seem very cartoonish for the rest of the show.

Megan's big first nu

Hilty & Simard to lead DEATH BECOMES HER in Chicago spring 2024  Apr 30 2024, 11:45:43 PM

I think first preview audiences are generally much more enthusiastic than the crowds that will attend the rest of the run.  I don’t want to spoil the party with my detailed thoughts this soon, except to say I found it fairly dreadful. I’ll sort out my comments and jump back on tomorrow. I’ll go see it late in the run also to see what has changed. 

Hilty & Simard to lead DEATH BECOMES HER in Chicago spring 2024  Apr 30 2024, 11:16:50 AM

I'll be there tonight as well. It's always exciting to see the first preview of something new here in Chicago, with no advance word of mouth, song clips, production photos...nothing.  Here's hoping it's another Kinky Boots/Spamalot/Producers/Boop, and not another Pretty Woman/Last Ship/Amazing Grace/Devil Wears Prada...

The Lonely Few @ MCC  Apr 29 2024, 12:03:31 PM

DCDrama2 said: "I was very excited to see this tonight. Sadly, it didn't resonate. I liked the idea of just about everything that was tried but ultimately didn't see much substance in it..."

Saw this last night, and unfortunately, I agree with everything DCDrama2 said.  If you’re looking for an excellent rock concert by amazing performers, you might enjoy it.  Other than that, it falls short. It’s loud. Most lyrics are inde

Marla Mindelle's BIG GAY JAMBOREE at the Orpheum Off-Bway, produced by Margot Robbie. Fall 2024.  Apr 24 2024, 11:01:09 AM

Sounds a little Schmigadoon-y. Not a bad thing. Looking forward to seeing this!

2024 Outer Critics Circle Nominations & Awards  Apr 23 2024, 06:28:47 PM

I'm thrilled about all the nominations for Dead Outlaw, The Connector and Teeth, which I enjoyed more than most Broadway musicals this year. Having seen most of the musicals, the only nomination I'm shocked by is The Great Gatsby for Outstanding New Broadway Musical.

CABARET at the Kit Kat Club (2024) Opening Night Critics' Reviews  Apr 21 2024, 10:31:19 PM

These nasty reviews are mirroring my opinions on seeing this in London, amidst the critical raves there.  I wonder if Sunset Boulevard will be similarly received here, in contrast to the London love.  I was firmly in the negative on that one too and have been baffled by the acclaim and awards for both shows. 

The Notebook - Original Broadway Cast Recording  Apr 19 2024, 10:16:30 PM

Talyn said: "Got a question regarding "My Days"....

I've been obsessed with the audio only recording from a preview performance where there is a passage where she sings "I pushed through the corners, with a love I found my days" (or something like that) and then the music pulls back a bit and she sings "i've only begun, to begin, to become what is in me" and then goes into "And finally I can say..." to the end of the song. Ho

The Rise, Fall & Comeback of Sara Gettelfinger  Apr 18 2024, 08:06:50 PM

The longer Broadway.com interview was fascinating and emotional.  Cheers to Sara for making it through, and to Sara and Paul Wontorek for sharing the story, which will hopefully reach others in the same situation.

THE DEVIL WEARS PRADA musical headed to the UK and West End in 2024  Apr 17 2024, 05:27:07 PM

Vanessa Williams was on Alec Baldwin's podcast Here's The Thing and briefly discussed the upcoming West End production, describing some of the thought process and even singing a bit of a new song.  The whole interview is interesting, including about her work with Sondheim, but the discussion about The Devil Wears Prada starts at about 37 minutes in, if you're interested.

Here's The Thing Podcast: Vanessa Williams

MOTHER PLAY seating question  Apr 16 2024, 11:18:48 PM

I sat front row right mezzanine. Man, those seats are tight and uncomfortable, but a great view.

Debating between Gatsby and Outsiders  Apr 13 2024, 04:58:21 PM

kurtal said: "I personally think The Outsiders is a SIGNIFICANTLY better show."

The Outsiders is a SIGNIFICANTLY better show

Christopher Durang Dead at 75  Apr 3 2024, 12:21:33 PM

What a shame to lose such a talent.  LOVED his shows - Sister Mary Ignatius, Baby With The Bathwater, Laughing Wild, The Marriage of Bette and Boo, Beyond Therapy, and so many more. One of the funniest things I've ever seen is "Wanda's Visit", which was originally written for the PBS series Trying Times. The terrific cast also included Swoosie Kurtz, Jeff Daniels, Julie Hagerty and Christopher as The Waiter. Do yourself a 27-minute favor and check it out if you haven't seen it.

The Visit on YouTube

THE WHO’S TOMMY Opening Night Critics’ Reviews  Mar 30 2024, 01:53:01 PM

EDSOSLO858 said: "DTLI Consensus:In a new, technology and projection-driven production,Tommyremains a Broadway sensation.

10 positive, 1 mixed, 1 negative (the NYT).

https://didtheylikeit.com/shows/the-whos-tommy/
"

Seriously, what is going on with Jesse Green? Of course, critics can have differing opinions, and i always expect some range of ratings to help judge whether to see a show.  But, how can a show like Tommy, which got 85-90% positive reviews, which I personally agreed with based on the Chicago run, have such a negative and out-of-range review from the most respected (?) source. He continues to astound me, and it irritates me only because it may discourage someone from getting tickets, who otherwise might have really enjoyed it (based on the average of reviews).

WATER FOR ELEPHANTS Opening Night Critics' Reviews  Mar 21 2024, 10:01:09 PM

I don't think I've ever seen such a wide range of reviews - everything from Critics Pick to worst show I've ever seen.  How does the public react to such diverse opinions? Do they even really care? This is nuts!

Also, Jesse Green panning The Notebook and praising Water For Elephants is baffling to me. I know not everyone loved The Notebook like I did, but these two shows are not opposite ends of the spectrum...

You must log in to view off-topic posts.

Videos

TICKET CENTRAL

Recommended For You