News on your favorite shows, specials & more!

Profile for WestEndGal

Member Name: WestEndGal
Contact User: You must be logged in to contact BWW members.

Most Recent Message Board Posts:

View Off Topic Posts

LEMPICKA Reviews  Apr 17 2024, 09:55:17 AM

Whilst I certainly think the level of unnecessary snark and negativity in reviews and the Broadway online community generally has increased these past few years (for a community that loves to preach about being all about love and inclusivity, it can be remarkably nasty imo!) it’s bizarre to see the ‘backlash’ that the negative Lempicka reviews have caused - just because a show might be progressive and daring etc, it doesn’t make it immune to criticism. And it does

SMASH Reading Lottery  Feb 17 2024, 04:42:25 AM

I’m so so intrigued to see how this does commercially when it finally lands on a Broadway stage. Obviously it has got the tv show name (and infamy!) to help it, some great songs, it’ll have all the Broadway community buzz, it’s being backed by Spielberg and other powerful producers and am sure it will get a lot of promotion locally and nationally - but then one of the reasons Smash the tv show failed was because it was ultimately too niche of a show for the mainstream.

Dianne Warren musical in development from DiPietro and Marshall  Feb 16 2024, 03:46:51 AM

KevinKlawitter said: "That's a great cast. Goes to show how respected Dianne Warren is.

EDIT: Okay, what the hell...JERRY BRUCKHEIMER is a character in this show!?!
"

Didn’t she write “I Don’t Wanna Miss A Thing” from Armageddon?! Just imagine how overwrought and hammed up a MT singer singing that song is gonna be, lol!

Rob Madge's MY SON'S A QUEER... not at the Lyceum February 2024  Feb 9 2024, 08:14:21 AM

Poor Rob and everyone involved. I’ve seen the show in London and really enjoyed it, but I think Broadway was an overreach, especially at the stage the show is at. Hindsight is a wonderful thing and I guess you’re not gonna turn down the opportunity of a show on Broadway if it presents itself to you, but this feels more like the type of show that coulda started smaller in NYC and worked it’s way up thro word of mouth etc, like Six.

SMASH Reading Lottery  Feb 9 2024, 08:08:46 AM

Ha this plot sounds more bizarre than s1 of Smash itself! 

I was lucky to go to the awesome Bombshell concert a few years back and will die on the hill that they shoulda just done a Bombshell musical - the Bombshell score is so strong imo and I think it could have worked really well if they’d have split the Marilyn role eg. with Kat as Norma Jean and Megan as Marilyn - and songs like Don’t Forget Me and Second Hand Whit

BOOP! The Betty Boop Musical - Pre-Broadway Chi  Jan 25 2024, 07:00:43 PM

Globefan said: "Jasmine Amy Rogers said the show is coming to Broadway spring of next year."

Yeah I was just coming here to post the same thing. Makes sense given how congested this spring is, altho not to say it won’t be the same in 2025. 

SUNSET BLVD to transfer to Broadwa  Jan 5 2024, 11:30:01 AM

spicemonkey said: "Jordan Catalano said: "Grace is doing “Hadestown” in London starring next month, so that means this “Sunset” most probably won’t be until late summer/Fall.

And I reeeally want Laura Benanti as Tuesday Night Norma.
"

Then they have to cast a standby for the Tuesday nights LOL
"

lol - savage but accurate! 

WAITRESS: THE MUSICAL Film to Screen in Movie Theaters This December  Dec 11 2023, 06:22:13 PM

BETTY22 said: "SB said she wanted Kelly Clarkson to start in it.

Good casting
"

I have no idea if Kelly can act, but she would sing the heck out of the Waitress score and has that southern charm and likability that would probably make her a perfect Jenna! 

BOOP! The Betty Boop Musical - Pre-Broadway Chi  Dec 11 2023, 06:18:08 PM

BalconyClub said: "Swing Derek Jordan Taylor played the role of Director at the Sunday, December 10 matinee.

Faith Prince’s entrance has returned to the pedicab.

David Foster was interviewed on WGN radio Sunday morning. He said he had composed about 40 numbers for the production. Half didn’t make it into the Chicago tryout.
"

40 songs is impressive! I always think it must be difficult as a musical songwriter to have to cull songs

Golden Globes Snubs for “The Color Purple,”  Dec 11 2023, 06:10:11 PM

Jordan Catalano said: "No, I’m saying that as someone who’s seen the show numerous times and opened this thread a wrote a quick thought on the topic, not a well researched peer reviewed study on the topic at hand, because this is a message board where people just write their thoughts and opinions."

Wow, way to take a light hearted comment about the integrity of the Golden Globes nominating committee so seriously, but I wouldn’t have expected anythin

Golden Globes Snubs for “The Color Purple,”  Dec 11 2023, 02:24:12 PM

Jordan Catalano said: "My thoughts on this show from day one is that it’s not a good musical but allows for brilliant performances that make people not realize the flaws in the musical, itself. Having not seen it yet obviously, I’m curious if these nominations point to the film having the same problems I see in the stage show."

You’re saying this as if the Golden Globes is the model of discernment when it comes to nominating quality shows and movies

BOOP! The Betty Boop Musical - Pre-Broadway Chi  Dec 7 2023, 05:44:03 PM

Here’s a pretty detailed review from the Chicago Sun Times - it’s really positive overall but says that the plot is a mess and if they can work on that it could be a hit.

https://chicago.suntimes.com/2023/12/7/23992246/boop-review-betty-musical-chicago-cibc-theatre-jasmine-amy-rogers-jerry-mitchell

Beginning of review:

“Here’s what doesn’t need to change about “Boop!,” the new musical getting its pre-Broadway tryout at Chicago’s CIBC Theatre this month:

• A single step of director/choreographer Jerry Mitchell’s spectacular footwork.
  • A single note in David Foster’s score.
  • The gorgeous gray-scale cartoon world that shimmers like silk as it unspools on stage with lush, cinematic detail.

Under Mitchell’s occasionally frenetic direction, “Boop!” offers a lovingly detailed homage to cartoonist Max Fleischer’s iconic pin-curled, squeaky-voiced creation Betty Boop, as well as one spectacular number after another.”

End of review: 

“Wresting a viable musical from a two-dimensional character whose work peaked in the 1930s is a mighty challenge. Mitchell is part of the way there. “Boop!” looks and sounds great. If its creators can come up with a plot that’s more focused and supporting characters with more depth than, well, cartoons, they just might have a hit.”

Tony Awards Eligibility 2023-2024  Dec 6 2023, 08:55:18 AM

Jeffrey Karasarides said: "According to the rules, if there are at least 9 eligible productions opening in a season, there will automatically be 5 nomination slots."

Thanks!

Tony Awards Eligibility 2023-2024  Dec 6 2023, 07:22:12 AM

How many slots are available for a best new musical nomination, or does it depend on the number of new musicals that open each season? There seem to be so many new or upcoming musicals for this season that I can imagine some really good new musicals will end up missing out on a nom.

BOOP! The Betty Boop Musical - Pre-Broadway Chi  Dec 1 2023, 03:50:55 AM

Erich Bergen also wrote on his insta stories “New Songs. New lines. New Jokes. New Joy.” - saying if people have already seen the show they should come back, so it def seems there are some changes happening. 

BOOP! The Betty Boop Musical - Pre-Broadway Chicago  Nov 21 2023, 04:43:45 AM

TaffyDavenport said: "First curtain call:

https://www.instagram.com/p/Cz2uW6puA2H/
"

I absolutely love the vibrancy and colour - this show looks like it’s going to be pretty joyous, and I’m all for musicals that just want to entertain. 

A snippet here of A Little Versatility from the opening night from Boop’s TikTok - I’ve loved this song from the first time I heard it. Does it open the show?

https://vm.tiktok.com/ZGeeewJvo/

BOOP! The Betty Boop Musical - Pre-Broadway Chicago  Nov 21 2023, 04:38:22 AM

OhHiii said: "EDSOSLO858 said: "I don’t know guys… catchy curtain call song, Rogers looks gorgeous, but this design seems cheap to me and the plot is sorta messy.

Expecting mixed reviews at best, but hopefully it can find and build its audience if it comes to NY next season.
"

All of this after one single solitary public performance (that you didn't see) and a single curtain call video and you're ready to write the eulogy a

BOOP! The Betty Boop Musical - Pre-Broadway Chicago  Nov 13 2023, 03:41:04 PM

I’m loving the look of this so far. It seems fun, it’s got original songs which are pretty earwormy from what I’ve heard so far, and Jasmine Amy Rogers, who I hadn’t seen perform before, seems like a great choice. She’s got tons of charisma and charm and has a good set of pipes! 

BOOP! The Betty Boop Musical - Pre-Broadway Chicago  Nov 9 2023, 06:01:59 AM

Here’s Jasmine Amy Rogers performing “Where I Wanna Be” and “Something to Shout About” (apologies if already posted - the other performance link wouldn’t work for me so not sure what performance it was!)

From the “Where I Wanna Be” vid, which is a really fun catchy song, Jasmine seems to be perfect for Betty! Great voice and seems to have a lot of on stage charisma for the role. 

Hoping this will make it to Broadway - love a bit of old school jazz hands, and there’s room for it worth SLIH ending.

https://www.instagram.com/reel/CzY5P5UO2xt/?igshid=YjVjNjZkNmFjNg==

https://www.instagram.com/reel/CzZYwXvOQci/?igshid=YjVjNjZkNmFjNg==

OnStageBlog cryptic tweet  Sep 11 2023, 10:10:23 AM

Kad said: "The situation with Barbour isn’t great. But Peterson poorly summarizing documents and then saying he’d like to know what people in the industry knew and when just proves he is incredibly out of his depth when it comes to any sort of journalism."

I read the article, which is 5 mins of my life I’ll never get back. It’s so amateurish - you can’t just read and transcribe some newly surfaced Scientology documents and call that jour

You must log in to view off-topic posts.

Videos

TICKET CENTRAL

Recommended For You