News on your favorite shows, specials & more!

Profile for False Titters

Member Name: False Titters
Contact User: You must be logged in to contact BWW members.

Most Recent Message Board Posts:

View Off Topic Posts

re: ANNE BANCROFT passes away
 Jun 7 2005, 09:34:07 PM
What terribly shocking, sad news. Im such a big fan of Annes work. Torch Song Triloy is my all time favourite film. I hope that Mr Brookes and all her friends and family can take at least some small comfort from the fact that countless millions across the world including myself in London were so deeply touched by her huge talent and spirit. Its just so, so sad in what should be such a happy year for her family. I will cry harder next time I watch those final Torch Song Scenes.
re: REAL RENT TRAILER--NOT THE CRAPPY OTHER ONE!
 Jun 2 2005, 07:12:47 PM
Me too. Im in London and my teeth are horrible. Have compassion :)
re: Hairspray Movie
 Apr 20 2005, 06:51:17 PM
Marc is a god! So lovely that he gives us all an injection of sanity!

Pls, pls, pls cast The Harvey. It just won't be right without him. I had no idea Jack O'Brien is directing it and that the boys are exec producing, that is awesome! It gives me hope, along with the Rent movie having decent talent rather than Hollywood puff packaging, that maybe the studios have realised that making a *great film* will bring people in more than a big star.

Personally I think Justin would be p

re: john travolta as edna
 Feb 26 2005, 06:06:25 PM
Its kind like pantomime in Britain where the whole fun of it comes from the fact that you know its a man - and it also adds a dimension to the show - its all about playing with gender in a very subtle way, and the whole theme of prejudice as well - thats what i think anyway ha ha ha. Difference with panto though i guess is that the dame plays up the whole fact hes a man whereas Edna is a very sincere performance, theres no direct nod to her being played by a man. I love that about it.
Viva The Harvey!
 Feb 26 2005, 03:36:10 PM
I know! I dont have a clue what its about either. Make up please. Everyone shake hands and hug and do a little dance and Ill put on a benefit fund raiser for John Travolta. Actually, I think he should play Tracey.
Viva The Harvey!
 Feb 26 2005, 01:38:19 PM
Hi WishIHadATony

I respect your opinion and if you don't enjoy Harvey as a performer that's completely fine and valid - we all have different taste and theres no artist that EVERYBODY loves - but I can't think of any performance in recent memory other than Nathan Lanes in The Producers that comes as close as Harveys in Hairspray does. I'm sure there will be some Travolta fans who think Travolta is the right choice but I think we'll find that most people with an opinion on this will feel

Dont do it don't do it don't do it!!!
 Feb 26 2005, 12:27:00 PM
Ok so i just read the New york times thing that quotes Tom Meehan as saying the creative team isnt happy about the casting 'decision' which suggests its been decided. So if Marc, Scott, Thomas and Mark arent happy with it then ITS WAR!!!!

You know the only way the studio will change its mind is if it realises public opinion is so strongly against it. We have the power to change it if we want to but we have to scream and shout and make a fuss about it. Are you up for it??? I am! I work f

Feb 26 2005, 12:11:37 PM
I think Matthew Morrison is perfect in the role too but i can totally see them going for Justin Timberlake. I think that would be great too and would bring in a HUGE audience. You wouldnt need Travolta or anyone - youd get a teen demographic which makes sense for the film as well. Would be inspired if that happens really
 Feb 26 2005, 11:07:45 AM
Oh dear, sorry, one last, last, LAST thing for the studio peeps:

I imagine they will hear about this strongly felt opinion on here and dismiss it as being just 'Broadway fans' etc and think of us as a minority unconnected with the eventual global potential of this films box office.

BUT THINK ABOUT IT.

Who will see this film: FANS OF MUSICAL THEATRE. Heres news - if you want it to be a hit, people who like musicals will have to see it and flock to it.

Who are t

Feb 26 2005, 11:00:48 AM
Thanks Phantom
And one last thing:

HARVEY IS A MOVIE STAR!!!!! (fog horn sounds, neon light flashes, words echo round like the 'Never put your money in the show' Producers line)

Obviously there's the most iconic, best loved gay film ever Torch Song, but Independence Day, Bullets Over Broadway even the damn Simpsons and countless other bits. Its not JUST gay people who love him - it wouldnt have been just gay men that raved and ranted about him in Hairspray. Hell, even my mo

Feb 26 2005, 10:51:56 AM
One little bit of logic I forgot in case any studio bods are reading this:-

Who is the biggest fan of movie musicals = gays and women

Gay men are early adopters in marketing terms = where they lead, the mainstream market follows

How do you make a movie musical do massive business = get a good percentage of the approximately 600 million gay people in the world to see it

Who is a bigger draw for gay people - Harvey Fierstein, one of the most famous and best love

Feb 26 2005, 10:38:44 AM
Oh my lordy lord!

As a Brit whos been to Broadway once, I was totally, utterly blown away by Harvey in Hairspray. I'm now a devout follower and I would love to see Harvey in London with the role but most importantly is him in the movie. Im sure Marc Shaiman and people involved will read this so I hope we make our views clear. Hairspray is a stunning show and Harvey is part of the package. Yes im sure other people including Travolta can do the role but Harvey brings magic to it. Its a hu

re: rosie o'donnell...
 Feb 13 2005, 08:58:06 AM
I'm British, live in London and I never really saw her show but i saw the odd clips and heard how she promoted Broadway shows so much. i wish people would do that here. As for coming out - well thats a complicated issue for anyone and i have alot of respect for her that now she has she has really put her money where her mouth is.

i loved Taboo in London and I didnt like what they did to it in NYC - ripped the heart out of it - but at least they tried. Rosie took a risk and thats what i

re: Question about a line from 'Hairspray'
 Feb 11 2005, 06:59:59 AM
I knew this. Do I get a gay house point?
You must log in to view off-topic posts.

Videos

TICKET CENTRAL

Recommended For You