News on your favorite shows, specials & more!

Profile for allyk

allyk Profile Photo
Member Name: allyk
Contact User: You must be logged in to contact BWW members.

Most Recent Message Board Posts:

View Off Topic Posts

Best Tap Numbers?  Jan 25 2017, 04:24:25 PM

I'm extremely partial to Step in Time from Mary Poppins. When Gavin Lee went up that proscenium and tapped across the ceiling it elevated the number from good to great. I was in a production of the show this past fall and  we couldn't fly Bert (our theater wasn't equipped for that) and it definitely loses a little "something" without that minute or so. But it's still great if it's done well.

Shows you've walked out of  Oct 11 2016, 10:09:22 AM

I've also never walked out of a show, but my father and I were strongly considering it when we saw the tour of Memphis a few years ago. We decided to stay because we thought it would get better... we wasted that last hour and when it was over we wished we had left. 

Bringing luggage to a show :(  Jun 17 2016, 09:50:50 AM

n2nbaby said: "Not sure if that theatre will be accommodating but I had a hell of a time trying to find somewhere to put my suitcase when I saw the first preview of Waitress. My hotel was about 20 blocks from the theatre and I had to go straight to the bus station after the show, so I didn't have time to go back to get the suitcase. I stopped by the theatre and they literally laughed at me and said "you think we can take your bag with all of the stuff going on right now?&quo

Who made the most of their 4 minutes?  Jun 13 2016, 10:17:59 AM

pupscotch said: "I'm surprised by the lack of love for the Waitress performance on this thread. For me, hers and Cynthia's performances were in a class of their own.

"

Why are you surprised? Most people here didn't like the show, so it's not out of the ordinary that they didn't care for the Tony performance, either. I thought the show was OK but the performance felt disjointed and a bit over-the-top and I felt that way when I

King & I -first two rows? Too close?  Jun 5 2016, 09:47:35 AM

OlBlueEyes said: "If you want close, sit in the first couple of rows of the side orchestra and you won't need theater glasses to see all the facial expressions. I sat in the second row left side on the aisle and when the ballet started Kelli sat right next to me on a little stool in the aisle. I admit that I was stealing glances up at her.

I guess she wasn't feeling very friendly because she didn't turn to me and start chatting.

&

Broadway Theatres That Need Refurbishments  May 10 2016, 07:58:51 PM

I have to agree about the restrooms at the Brooks Atkinson. I was in the so-called line for the ladies room at intermission (really a massive clump of angry women) for Waitress and eventually just decided that it wasn't worth it and went back to my seat and got back in line at the end of curtain call. I also found line for the ladies room at the Helen Hayes to be a bit crazy a few months ago at intermission for Dames at Sea. (And don't get me started about the ladies room at Goodspeed

People who take vacant seats at intermission  May 8 2016, 09:14:27 AM

I've never tried to move on my own, but I have been moved by ushers a few times. The most recently was at Providence Performing Arts Center for Cabaret. I was with a friend who has season tickets and so we were seated in her normal seats at the back of the oechestra (which was pretty empty) when another usher came over with a pair of tickets in the 10th row, so we moved. The same thing happened a few years back at Peter and the Starcatcher. I was with a different friend and we had comps f

Recommendations for Cast Albums to workout to  Apr 28 2016, 05:01:49 PM

I haven't seen School of Rock mentioned, yet! I have been listening to it non-stop at the gym since I saw the show last week. There's some REALLY great uptempo numbers that keep me going on the elliptical! I also like Legally Blonde, Sister Act, Lysistrata Jones and In the Heights as well, and I've seen all of those mentioned on here. Those four are my usual fare, but School of Rock has made its way into the rotation. I'm at the gym 3-5x per week, so I listen to a LOT of

Recommendations for Cast Albums to workout to  Apr 28 2016, 05:01:48 PM

I haven't seen School of Rock mentioned, yet! I have been listening to it non-stop at the gym since I saw the show last week. There's some REALLY great uptempo numbers that keep me going on the elliptical! I also like Legally Blonde, Sister Act, Lysistrata Jones and In the Heights as well, and I've seen all of those mentioned on here. Those four are my usual fare, but School of Rock has made its way into the rotation. I'm at the gym 3-5x per week, so I listen to a LOT of

WAITRESS Reviews  Apr 26 2016, 04:56:11 PM

I saw the show last Wednesday after seeing it twice in Boston last summer. I thought it was just OK... Nothing special and the changes didn't do much for the show... Nothing was really strengthened by the changes and I thought some of the were unnecessary and the new ending was disappointing. I thought Jessie was great but there was something missing from her performance that I can't put my finger on... I don't know if it was just all the changes in the show that messed wit her ch

Le Mis or Waitress?  Apr 23 2016, 09:38:56 PM

Have to agree with Waitress. Les Miz is now a hot ticket for community/regional theaters, so chances are you can see it at home for much less than the price of a Broadway ticket. I saw Waitress twice last summer and just again on Wednesday and I have to agree it is a wonderful night at the theater. I went with my mother (who is 61 and had NOT seen it in Boston) and she loved it as well (we also loved School of Rock on Tuesday... two TOTALLY different shows, but both excellent in their own rig

Does anyone on here have any actual theater experience? Are you just a fan?  Apr 23 2016, 09:32:39 PM

I have been doing community theater since I was about 8 (after starting dance lessons at 3 and acting lessons at 7). Between community and a few school shows, I was in about 30 productions between 3rd grade and my senior year of high school. High school theater made me lose any love I had for performing and it wasn't until the right show came around last year (Legally Blonde), 8 and a half years after my last show in high school, that I had any desire to perform again. After Legally Blond

Hamilton Lottery  Apr 18 2016, 10:09:54 AM

Not to go off-topic, but I looked on the Broadway Direct website the other day and it didn't mention what time the winners are chosen/notified... Does anyone have an idea or rough estimate for this? I'll be in the city with my mother tomorrow and we are thinking of entering for tomorrow evening, but we want to have time for a backup plan. Our day is pretty open - we arrive around noon and will run to our hotel to drop off our bags/try to check in, and then have reservations at th

What site do you get your Bway news from now?  Apr 5 2016, 08:57:34 PM

Count me in as another one who isn't a fan of the new Playbill. It is disappointing and they were always my go-to as their site was the easiest to read. (I also interned there as an undergrad so it was a little bit of a personal preference for me as well.) I now use BroadwayWorld the most frequently. 

Going to theatre alone?  Mar 22 2016, 09:33:18 AM

I don't mind going to the theater alone at all. In college I often went by myself as I was 45 minutes from Manhattan and either couldn't coordinate my schedule with others or was already in the city for  different reason and decided to stay and grab a rush ticket. Now that I am back home in MA, it takes more planning to go to a show. Occasionally I will take the bus in (Megabus now goes out of my city, which is very convenient) and I am very picky about who I see shows with. Afte

Waitress Previews  Mar 22 2016, 09:06:25 AM

dramamama611 said: "Jessie is wonderful....I'm not sure the show would work nearly as well without her.  SHE is the reason to see it.  Don't get me wrong, I LIKED the show in Cambridge very much....I just didn't love it as many others did. Excited to see what changes they bring to NY.

Who knows....maybe it will make me fall in love with it.....I definitely changed my opinion of Neverland.  (although that change was from loving i

Waitress Previews  Mar 22 2016, 08:15:26 AM

I won't be there on Friday (I will be in the city Friday but chaperoning a school trip to Something Rotten) but I am seeing the show April 20. I saw it twice in Boston and it was in great shape last summer, so I am looking forward to see how the team has made it better and a little smoother as well. 

Does anyone else miss the real lotteries?  Mar 12 2016, 11:20:55 AM

LizzieCurry said: "I don't hate lotteries, but I appreciate it when shows keep the lottery AND have a rush/standing room option.

"

I agree with you! I live three and a half hours from the city so when I do get to go in (usually every few months) I like being able to know I can get decently priced rush tickets to a show (especially now that I am back in school in preparation for grad school in the fall) so I qualify for student rush again now as

Tour Lotteries  Mar 5 2016, 10:24:23 PM

It might be city-specific. I know Boston had a digital lottery for Pippin (my mother won that one), and they have advertised digital lotteries for Sound of Music, Matilda and If/Then in the coming months. Providence has not had digital lotteries and the only show I know they have done an in-person lotto for was Wicked (not sure about Book of Mormon — I saw that one in Boston) and Providence is always very quiet about offering rush tickets as well, and they don't offer them for every

Pippin Tour?  Feb 20 2016, 03:00:26 PM

gardener14 said: "Pippin on tour is coming to The Hanover Theatre in Worcester, MA, March 30-April 2, 2017.
Does this mean the current tour is continuing, or will there be a second, perhaps non-equity tour?  The Hanover's promo material uses the same video montage from the current tour.  I can't find any info about a continuing tour.

By the way, I just saw Pippin in Boston and Providence, and this cast is phenomenal.  I loved Ga

You must log in to view off-topic posts.

Videos

TICKET CENTRAL

Recommended For You