Best Tap Numbers?

Alex Kulak2
#1Best Tap Numbers?
Posted: 1/24/17 at 12:04pm

What are some of the best tap dance sequences in musicals?

asmith0307
#2Best Tap Numbers?
Posted: 1/24/17 at 12:22pm

"In Summer" from Frozen...

But for reals, my favorites off the top of my head are Anything Goes (from... Anything Goes), Angry Dance (from Billy Elliott), and King of New York (from Newsies). 

I imagine Gatelli making "In Summer" a tap number though. A giant, tap-dancing snowman. 

BroadwayConcierge Profile Photo
BroadwayConcierge
#3Best Tap Numbers?
Posted: 1/24/17 at 12:29pm

It's an individual number, but "I Can Do That" from A Chorus Line is classic, of course.

asmith0307
#4Best Tap Numbers?
Posted: 1/24/17 at 12:35pm

Oh, that's a good one. Also, Pennsylvania Graveyard Shuffle from Shuffle Along.

Basically, I just go with anything that makes me sit there and simultaneously think "I really wish I took tap" and "holy cow, how did they make it through that".

ACL2006 Profile Photo
ACL2006
#5Best Tap Numbers?
Posted: 1/24/17 at 12:37pm

Opening to 42nd Street, Springtime for Hitler, Good Morning (Singin' In The Rain).

A Chorus Line revival played its final Broadway performance on August 17, 2008. The tour played its final performance on August 21, 2011. A new non-equity tour started in October 2012 played its final performance on March 23, 2013. Another non-equity tour launched on January 20, 2018. The tour ended its US run in Kansas City and then toured throughout Japan August & September 2018.

gallerygirl Profile Photo
gallerygirl
#6Best Tap Numbers?
Posted: 1/24/17 at 12:44pm

"I Want To Be Happy" from NO NO NANETTE

"42nd St." from 42nd STREET

"Go Into Your Dance" from 42nd STREET

JudyDenmark Profile Photo
JudyDenmark
#7Best Tap Numbers?
Posted: 1/24/17 at 12:55pm

Turn It Off in Book of Mormon! (More as a great sequence than virtuoso tap dancing)

Moses Supposes from Singin in the Rain

Pretty much all of Jelly's Last Jam, particularly That's How You Jazz

madbrian Profile Photo
madbrian
#8Best Tap Numbers?
Posted: 1/24/17 at 1:00pm

The title number from Anything Goes.

"It does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are 20 gods or no god. It neither picks my pocket, nor breaks my leg." -- Thomas Jefferson

KnewItWhenIWasInFron
#9Best Tap Numbers?
Posted: 1/24/17 at 2:00pm

Pretty much all of "Bring in Da Noise, Bring in Da Funk," but maybe especially "The Lynching Blues." And "Pennyslvania Graveyard Shuffle" from "Shuffle Along."

Jallenc32
#10Best Tap Numbers?
Posted: 1/24/17 at 2:07pm

"We Tapped That Ass" from Crazy Ex-Girlfriend if you want to include television :)

Comden Green Profile Photo
Comden Green
#11Best Tap Numbers?
Posted: 1/24/17 at 2:26pm

Omg. I love great tap numbers.    

Anything goes from the Sutton foster version ( and the Jonathan groff imitation).  Never saw any other version of anything goes. But the one I saw could have gone on all night. It was so thrilling.  

On the twentieth century.  Beginning of the second act - life is like a train.     Again so thrilling.  It went on and on and on.  

Anything from shuffle along.   - I don't remember which songs had the tap (since I don't have a cd to help me out!!!!    ??).    but they were great.  

pg1287
#12Best Tap Numbers?
Posted: 1/24/17 at 2:27pm

"A Musical" from Something Rotten

Tag Profile Photo
Tag
#13Best Tap Numbers?
Posted: 1/24/17 at 3:21pm

I Got Rhythm - Crazy For You

Leaf Coneybear Profile Photo
Leaf Coneybear
#14Best Tap Numbers?
Posted: 1/24/17 at 3:24pm

"I'm Not a Loser" from the Spongebob Musical

adam.peterson44 Profile Photo
adam.peterson44
#15Best Tap Numbers?
Posted: 1/24/17 at 5:59pm

Anything Goes from the 2011 revival, Friend Like Me from Aladdin, A Musical from Something Rotten, and King of New York from Newsies have been my favourites from Broadway in recent years.  I haven't seen the Broadway versions of 42nd street, but i love the tap sounds on the cast recording and have loved the tap numbers in that show in regional productions.

Updated On: 1/24/17 at 05:59 PM

Call_me_jorge Profile Photo
Call_me_jorge
#16Best Tap Numbers?
Posted: 1/24/17 at 6:17pm

Morning Person 

In our millions, in our billions, we are most powerful when we stand together. TW4C unwaveringly joins the worldwide masses, for we know our liberation is inseparably bound. Signed, Theater Workers for a Ceasefire https://theaterworkersforaceasefire.com/statement

Susanswerphone Profile Photo
Susanswerphone
#17Best Tap Numbers?
Posted: 1/24/17 at 7:05pm

I agree w/ "I Want to Be Happy" from No, No Nanette.

Also, "Who's that Woman?" from Follies. 

evic
#18Best Tap Numbers?
Posted: 1/24/17 at 7:14pm

Warren Carlyle did amazing work in the Encores On Your Toes and After Midnight.

Glittergrrl Profile Photo
Glittergrrl
#19Best Tap Numbers?
Posted: 1/24/17 at 8:21pm

It's been awhile, so I can't remember what it was called... but I loved the tap number in Noise/funk, in which Savion had his back to the audience and there's voiceover explaining the evolution of tap and he performs the various styles as they're being explained.  He kind of morphs one into the next.  It was truly incredible.

uncageg Profile Photo
uncageg
#20Best Tap Numbers?
Posted: 1/24/17 at 8:57pm

Every tap moment from TAPPIN THRU LIFE, opening to 42nd Street, I CAN DO THAT and Pennsylvania Graveyard Shuffle (which was thrilling!)

Just give the world Love.

morosco Profile Photo
morosco
#21Best Tap Numbers?
Posted: 1/24/17 at 9:19pm

MY ONE AND ONLY had some magnificent tap numbers.  That show was so much fun. 

PatrickDC Profile Photo
PatrickDC
#22Best Tap Numbers?
Posted: 1/25/17 at 12:11am

Call_me_jorge said: "Morning Person 

"

Such a fun number with the tapping mice "feet" and the reveal with the curtain. On Sunday Funday on SiriusXM recently, John Tartaglia was talking about the workshopping of SHREK and as I recall the mice were never in the scene. They were added just before the Seattle out-of-town. I also love Tesori's music for this scene which is sadly edited way down for the recording. 

Forgive the thread drift, but the cheap inflatable deer in Morning Person has always bothered me. In a show with a budget the size of SHREK's you'd think they could have come up with something better. When Diablo Theater Company (Walnut Creek, CA) produced it a few years back -- an excellent production by the way -- the deer was a very cute, lanky actor in a skin-tight deer costume. Got my attention! LOL After Fiona's "...a morning girlllll" instead of pulling off his antlers, an arrow sound is heard off-stage, and actor popped an arrow up from his chest faux fur and stumbled off stage, followed by Fiona's "Hooray."

Updated On: 1/25/17 at 12:11 AM

PatrickDC Profile Photo
PatrickDC
#23Best Tap Numbers?
Posted: 1/25/17 at 12:22am

I've never seen MACK AND MABEL but this version of Tap Your Troubles Away is one my go-to videos when I'm feeling blue! If you've seen the show, please elaborate on TYTA. Did it have as much energy in the show as in this video? I hope no one tried to leave the show like the older couple caught on tape! LOL And the one female ensemble has a little slip but she recovers in a split-second. And one of the male soloists looks like Bill Irwin but it can't be him. 

And back in the day when we recorded the Tonys on VHS, I very nearly wore out the tape rewatching this number from Black and Blue . It must have been electric to see that live. 

Smaxie Profile Photo
Smaxie
#24Best Tap Numbers?
Posted: 1/25/17 at 1:35am

BTW, that's a very young Savion Glover front and center in the wind-up of the "Black & Blue" tap number.

Begin at the beginning and go on till you come to the end: then stop.

KathyNYC2
#25Best Tap Numbers?
Posted: 1/25/17 at 2:18am

I don't know if it's a "best."..but Forget about the Boy from Thoroughly Modern Millie is so fun..and the tapping typists number (name??) was so clever. They hold a special place in my memory...