News on your favorite shows, specials & more!

Going to theatre alone?

Dancingthrulife2 Profile Photo
Dancingthrulife2
#1Going to theatre alone?
Posted: 3/21/16 at 4:08am

How many people prefer going solo? I barely enjoy a show with friends as much as I do alone.

rosscoe(au) Profile Photo
rosscoe(au)
#2Going to theatre alone?
Posted: 3/21/16 at 4:45am

See nearly everything by myself, and my trips to London and New York are always Solo

Well I didn't want to get into it, but he's a Satanist. Every full moon he sacrifices 4 puppies to the Dark Lord and smears their blood on his paino. This should help you understand the score for Wicked a little bit more. Tazber's: Reply to Is Stephen Schwartz a Practicing Christian

dramamama611 Profile Photo
dramamama611
#3Going to theatre alone?
Posted: 3/21/16 at 5:18am

I don't think it's that I like it more...but I certainly don't mind it.  Going alone this weekend, as a matter if fact.

If we're not having fun, then why are we doing it? These are DISCUSSION boards, not mutual admiration boards. Discussion only occurs when we are willing to hear what others are thinking, regardless of whether it is alignment to our own thoughts.

ClumsyDude15 Profile Photo
ClumsyDude15
#4Going to theatre alone?
Posted: 3/21/16 at 6:43am

I definitely prefer to go see something with someone, but I have seen plenty by myself. Sometimes due to no one else having much of an interest in the show in question or just because. Sometimes it's nice, but I definitely miss the intermission chat or the post show discussion with a friend. 

"Anybody that goes to the theater, I think we’re all misfits, so we ended up on stage or in the audience.” --- Patti LuPone.
Updated On: 3/21/16 at 06:43 AM

sng
#5Going to theatre alone?
Posted: 3/21/16 at 6:46am

that's my life. None of my friends like musicals so I always go see them by myself....

mc1227 Profile Photo
mc1227
#6Going to theatre alone?
Posted: 3/21/16 at 6:49am

I very much enjoy seeing a show by myself.  It's easier to get a single ticket as well.  The part I don't like is not having that post show conversation that discusses the show's details.  That's one reason that I follow this board. I will occasionally attend with my mate or other friends but they don't share my passion so my preference is to go solo.

The only review of a show that matters is your own.
Updated On: 3/21/16 at 06:49 AM

TheGingerBreadMan Profile Photo
TheGingerBreadMan
#7Going to theatre alone?
Posted: 3/21/16 at 7:17am

I go alone to most shows that I see. I love it. I really enjoy being able to take in the performance and develop my own opinions about it, and it's nice to have some "me" time as well. 

evic
#8Going to theatre alone?
Posted: 3/21/16 at 7:33am

Most of the time.  And when I go through TDF, I usually get house seats-4th row center for American In Paris, 8th row center for Fiddler, 12th row center The King And I, 4th row center for Sylvia.....  If you need to talk to somebody, the person(s) sitting next to you are usually friendly.

Dollypop
#9Going to theatre alone?
Posted: 3/21/16 at 7:39am

What do your seat locations have to do with the topic at hand?

"Long live God!" (GODSPELL)

CindersGolightly Profile Photo
CindersGolightly
#10Going to theatre alone?
Posted: 3/21/16 at 7:48am

I assume they meant going alone gets you better seats - which is absolutely true.

They/them. "Get up the nerve to be all you deserve to be."

fb1123
#11Going to theatre alone?
Posted: 3/21/16 at 8:01am

I always go alone, I much prefer it, always get a better seat when buying one ticket.  You can't talk during the show anyway.

ChildofEarth Profile Photo
ChildofEarth
#12Going to theatre alone?
Posted: 3/21/16 at 8:25am

I prefer going alone as well. You are in the moment more. However, I did wish I had someone to dissect the story with a few times. I wish I had seen Fun Home in particular with someone else.

NJ_BroadwayGirl Profile Photo
NJ_BroadwayGirl
#13Going to theatre alone?
Posted: 3/21/16 at 8:29am

I generally want to see more shoes than my friends do, even though a few are into theatre, so I have no problem at all going alone.

When I want to see a show, I'm going to see it no matter what. And I don't like like having to coordinate plans, argue over what seats, how much people want to spend. When I'm solo I can just buy and go. I agree that sometimes I miss that post show discussion and I certainly don't mins having company. If I see a show alone and love it, I can tell my friends and we'll go back again together. 

I like a good rhyme more than a good time

yankeefan7 Profile Photo
yankeefan7
#14Going to theatre alone?
Posted: 3/21/16 at 8:40am

I have only gone to one show alone and it was while I was on a business trip to NYC. I would rather go with someone but still enjoyed the show. I talked about the show later that evening when I called my wife to say goodnight, this was done before cell phones - lol.

ljay889 Profile Photo
ljay889
#15Going to theatre alone?
Posted: 3/21/16 at 9:31am

I think we discuss this in depth several times a year. I mostly go alone these days, but you get used to it, and I agree it's easier to get better seats when alone. 

10086sunset
#16Going to theatre alone?
Posted: 3/21/16 at 12:01pm

Going alone tends to be easier. 

My wife and I don't share the same tastes.

Needing a babysitter also gets in the way of going together.

Kad Profile Photo
Kad
#17Going to theatre alone?
Posted: 3/21/16 at 12:07pm

I don't mind either way. If I am paying to see something, I usually go alone. But if I am offered comps, I will almost always share the opportunity and invite someone.

"...everyone finally shut up, and the audience could enjoy the beginning of the Anatevka Pogram in peace."

henrikegerman Profile Photo
henrikegerman
#18Going to theatre alone?
Posted: 3/21/16 at 12:13pm

For me it comes down to at times liking very much to go to the theatre spontaneously.  I often feel like going to a show on very short notice.  That of course makes going alone a lot simpler.  It doesn't mean I don't enjoy planning ahead as well.  And when I prefer going with others.

It's all good.

hork Profile Photo
hork
#19Going to theatre alone?
Posted: 3/21/16 at 12:13pm

Yeah, I'm fine either way, not sure if I have a preference. Sometimes I'll wish I saw a show alone (like with Hamilton ... I saw it with my mom, and I could tell she was hating it, so I spent the first act feeling guilty for taking her to see it ... luckily she left at intermission), other times I'll go alone and wish I had someone to share it with. But there is something exciting about going alone.

NJ_BroadwayGirl Profile Photo
NJ_BroadwayGirl
#20Going to theatre alone?
Posted: 3/21/16 at 12:20pm

Interesting point about going with someone and having it be odd if they don't like it. If I have seen a show alone, I do love going back and bringing someone along who I know will love it too!

I like a good rhyme more than a good time

Jshan05 Profile Photo
Jshan05
#21Going to theatre alone?
Posted: 3/21/16 at 12:25pm

I'm an out-of-towner and while I can usually wrangle my friend I'm staying with into seeing a few shows with me, I tend to go to most by myself. I usually set it up so that I'm meeting with friends before/after the show, but I have had many a date night completely by myself! 

Phantom4ever
#22Going to theatre alone?
Posted: 3/21/16 at 12:26pm

When I go to New York to spend a few days seeing shows, it is next to impossible to find someone who can 

1. 100% commit to a date and time weeks in advance

2. Research and consider shows and agree to see a particular show

3.Have the money to spend on a show

4. Have the ability to pay me back the night of the show. 

5. Show enough interest in theater to do this more than once a year at most. 

So for those reasons, I go alone. 

broadwaysfguy
#23Going to theatre alone?
Posted: 3/21/16 at 12:31pm

i like this thread

thought i was the odd one out on this preference...

definitely prefer going alone for

1) much better seats

2) i tend to enjoy it more than my partner or friends

3) I sometimes visit with cast after at stage door

4) There is something about just being able to fully commit to the experience without having to be concerned about entertaining whoever you are with

5) its fun to talk to others at the theatre which im more likely to do when i go alone 

Cupid Boy2 Profile Photo
Cupid Boy2
#24Going to theatre alone?
Posted: 3/21/16 at 12:49pm

I don't mind going alone and do quite often. I'd prefer someone to come along with me but not at the price of having to agree on what we're seeing or where we're sitting. Thankfully, the friends with whom I've traveled to the city the see shows have no problem splitting off to attend what interests them. It's fun to meet up again afterwards and to discuss what we each saw.

BrodyFosse123 Profile Photo
BrodyFosse123
#25Going to theatre alone?
Posted: 3/21/16 at 12:51pm

I discovered the beauty of going solo to see a show back in 1994.  Though I was coming into NYC every year since I was a little kid in the 1970s, I always went with someone  or a small group to see shows on Broadway. 

In 1994 the friends I was with on this particular trip had NO interest in seeing shows so I didn't let that bummer my trip.  Vanessa Williams was in KISS OF THE SPIDERWOMAN, the Victor Garber/Bebe Neuwirth revival of DAMN YANKEES, the original cast of Disney's BEAUTY & THE BEAST and the Rosie O'Donnell revival of GREASE! were piping hot and I couldn't miss these.  

The first treat was the vast selection of front center orchestra seats I had to pick from.  The second treat was not having to deal with friends bitching or the endless "oh my God, wasn't she/he in this and isn't that the girl/guy who was in that movie?" questions every time an actor appeared on stage.  I for once was able to immerse myself 125% into the show and it quickly became a tradition that to this day friends know I hate going to see shows with others so they know it's a privilege if I ask someone to join me.  The rare few times.  

Videos