News on your favorite shows, specials & more!

Profile for ImaginaryManticore

Member Name: ImaginaryManticore
Contact User: You must be logged in to contact BWW members.

Most Recent Message Board Posts:

View Off Topic Posts

Attention British Broadway Fans
 Jul 26 2021, 02:24:20 PM

I'm British, but don't have strong feelings about it because I'm not interested in the monarchy. It could be tasteless, it could be good. If it's well written and thoughtfully made, then why not?

I'm sure someone will complain about it because the royals make an attention-grabbing headline, and a lot of people will read 'musical' and assume it's nothing but shallow escapism. But if the musical actually has something compelling to say about that exac

Delta Variant and Broadway
 Jul 23 2021, 02:51:55 PM

There's a lot of evidence that the delta variant can infect people who are vaccinated. This is again anecdotal, but I know people who have caught it with both AstraZeneca and Pfizer. So even if you're probably not in serious danger after being vaccinated, the spread of the virus isn't going away.

In a mostly vaccinated population with the delta variant around, the main issue with making any kinds of plans is that you'll catch it and have to cancel eve

Lin to direct film adaptation of Tick Tick Boom
 Jun 13 2021, 07:38:48 AM

I love the trailer! I have really high hopes for this. I don't think it will be a Last Five Years situation because unlike that, they've got a new screenwriter credited and there's a lot more potential to open the script up from its three-person musical origins (which had already been opened up from the one-man musical before it). I've also just seen that (as well as Dear Evan Hansen) Steven Levenson was the showrunner on Fosse/Verdon, where it was also clear that the writers

COMPANY Returning December 20th, OPENING JANUARY 9th 2022
 May 10 2021, 01:31:52 PM

This truly is the perfect production for when Broadway reopens! On top of what the creative team says about connection, how many people in the past year have had to celebrate very strange birthdays?

Everyone who will get to see it is so lucky.

West End CABARET with Jessie Buckley and Eddie Redmayne
 May 7 2021, 03:04:32 PM

Yes, if I recall correctly, at the end the Emcee was made to strip and was rounded up into a huddle of other prisoners. I can't remember what they reordered because I didn't know the show well at the time. It was a good production but didn't feel definitive like the Mendes staging must have been.

West End CABARET with Jessie Buckley and Eddie Redmayne
 May 7 2021, 01:40:11 PM

This is great news! This must be one of Jessie Buckley's first returns to theatre after making a name for herself outside it. I assumed Eddie Redmayne would be playing Cliff, but I guess we'll see how he does as Emcee...

The 2006 revival was critically acclaimed and successful enough to run for two years. As far as I remember, the 2012 revival was only the touring version of the 2006 production, scaled and toned down. (Yes, there was a fair amount of nudity in 20

Universal's WICKED Film - News & Discussion Thread
 May 7 2021, 01:14:16 PM

starlightlocamotion said: "100% agree with everything you stated...However, it’s an issue that in almost 20 years we’ve never had a full time Elphaba of color in the show. This is a chance to somewhat rectify that on a HUGE scale."

In the West End Alexia Khadime played the role for a couple years. 

I think that in this day and age, a white Elphaba in the movie will be called out as a missed opportunity. Yes, it's a fantasy and doesn't

Wicked Movie Seeks New Director
 Apr 11 2021, 11:58:09 AM

Even if they want to fill the cast with household names, Elphaba is the part that really doesn't need it. She's the Wicked Witch of the West and will be covered in make-up, so she's closer to the known superhero characters that have been played by up-and-comers.

All Elphaba's songs are the type that will feel long and unnecessary onscreen unless the audience is genuinely blown away by the singing. Cynthia's the only one I can think of who would be able pul

A new THE KING AND I film
 Feb 15 2021, 01:56:26 PM

A new film of The King and I in this climate?! I really hope they're serious when they say they're reimagining it and hire the right people on all levels of the production, otherwise there will be so much backlash. But I'm interested. If they can make it work from less of a white perspective, I'd love to see it.

To a lot of people R&H are defined by The Sound of Music, which is a great film but not their best musical.

If YA Books Were Musicals . . .
 Oct 31 2020, 06:45:28 PM

It would need the right writer to make it work, but On the Come Up by Angie Thomas (author of The Hate U Give) was the first that came to mind. It's about a teenage girl who's an aspiring rapper.

And okay, this is an anime movie, not a novel, but ever since I saw Your Name I've thought it would make an incredible musical.

Glenn Close and Patti Lupone in Angels in America
 Sep 26 2020, 01:43:08 PM

Amazing! I cannot wait to see Vella Lovell as Harper.

re: Floyd Collins
 Sep 14 2020, 04:59:40 PM

Thanks for posting this. The video, along with this thread (which I know is old), proves that this musical can be stunning with great performances and not much else. Not to take away from how well made the video is overall!

If one musical survives 200 years from now
 Sep 5 2020, 07:34:45 AM

blaxx said: "TotallyEffed said: "I just think it's silly to call great pieces of art "dated." Of course they are dated, they aren't brand new. Streetcar is "dated," but it's a timeless masterpiece. Eventually great works become classics."

You're right, but some of the most powerful pieces are directed to their own place and time.

That's why a lot of writers tend to focus on universal themes and very few

If one musical survives 200 years from now
 Sep 3 2020, 07:27:11 PM

It will have to be a show that can be separated completely from its original production, or probably any kind of theatrical production as we know it. People will need to listen to a recording or read a libretto and get why it works, if they're going to keep putting it on in some form. That removes anything reliant on spectacle like Phantom, I'd say. The same goes for it making sense with no cultural context.

I'm cheating and giving several options:

Hamilton - if

Space, Sci-Fi and Broadway
 Sep 2 2020, 07:03:16 PM

I'd love to see a sci-fi musical done well. The difficulty with a lot of classic sci-fi is that a lot of them tend to be stories of ideas. They don't revolve around characters' wants and relationships, because it's more about their reactions to the world around them. Not a lot of drama, I guess. But there are exceptions.

I think some of the less literal aspects of theatre would really lend itself to speculative fiction. You're not stuck in real time, like on fi

James Corden Thinks Streaming Services Should Help Broadway Recover From the Pandemic
 Aug 27 2020, 07:09:24 AM

I was glad to see Netflix donating to the theatre fund, but it's going to take so much more than the occasional donation, even one of that size.

We're getting to a point when the theatre would be able to put on carefully planned productions, except there's no way of getting an audience safely and profitably. If a streaming company could use their platform to fund and stream productions (even in an empty theatre), it would at least provide some work for the industry and keep

Novels that could be musicals/plays?
 Aug 11 2020, 01:06:02 PM

Nights at the Circus by Angela Carter. It could start out small as she starts describing her life from her dressing room, but then could expand as the events get wilder and more surreal. (Like Lady Day at Emerson's Bar and Grill transforming into Cabaret in form)

Once - 2012 Tonys Question!
 Jul 24 2020, 04:42:42 PM

With Once, I'd also argue that the staging and actor-musician concept pushed it towards being a musical, more than the film was. Yes, the characters were singing to each other, but the musicians were onstage as well even when they weren't part of the scene, kind of as if they were a dancing or singing chorus.

Of course, that happens with plays that have songs too, when the songs aren't as linked to the story, like in War Horse. Hmmm.

The difference is also

does bernadette peters and every other famous voice actor or actress only like people who voice animals?
 Jul 15 2020, 06:27:13 PM

I'm trained in copy-editing and I've never come across anything as bad as this. Ahem. I tried:

Does Bernadette Peters, along with every other famous voice actor or actress, only like people who voice animals?

So that would mean LeBron James isn't one of Bernadette's friends, nor is any other athlete; nor is any other famous voice actor or actress, like Nathan Lane, Mandy Moore, Judy Dench or Jo Ann Harris, right? Not unless LeBron or any other athlete voices an animal, right? And yet Michael Strahan has done that? Is there no evidence that Frank Welker and Bernadette Peters are friends? Because they're actors and they voice animals, right? Although Frank Welker is not a Broadway actor despite his long voice acting career, right?

... I'VE CRACKED IT!!!!!!! It's about Animaniacs! The cartoon where Bernadette voiced Rita the cat!!!! And apparently Frank Welker voiced Runt, the dog!!! And... wait, where does LeBron come in...?

https://animaniacs.fandom.com/wiki/Rita_and_Runt

UK Government Announces £1.57 Billion Rescue Package For The Arts
 Jul 6 2020, 05:51:17 PM

A Director said: "qolbinau said:

Watching Hamilton I couldn’t help but reflect on these lyrics when comparing the USA right now to the UK.

“ You’re on your own
Awesome. Wow
Do you have a clue what happens now?

Oceans rise
Empires fall
It’s much harder when it’s all your call

All alone, across the sea
When your people say they hate you
Don’t come crawling back to me”

You must log in to view off-topic posts.

Videos

TICKET CENTRAL

Recommended For You