News on your favorite shows, specials & more!

Profile for JJPeachum2

JJPeachum2 Profile Photo
Member Name: JJPeachum2
Contact User: You must be logged in to contact BWW members.

Most Recent Message Board Posts:

View Off Topic Posts

re: Favorite Comedic Plays
 May 21 2007, 10:20:07 AM
I could have picked any number of Durang, but here ya go...

* THE MAN WHO CAME TO DINNER by Kaufman & Hart
* BABY WITH THE BATHWATER by Christopher Durang
* THE VIETNAMIZATION OF NEW JERSEY by Christopher Durang

NOISES OFF by Michael Frayn deserves honorable mention, as well.

re: London Sweeney: Maria Friedman to Play Mrs. Lovett
 May 21 2007, 10:17:22 AM
She'll be brilliant. Enough said.
I hope to get my hands on a recording of these performances...

re: LA: Virginia Woolf & City of Mahagonny
 Feb 12 2007, 03:30:25 PM
Well, the "stagnant," "out front" staging might owe more to Brecht than to Doyle. I love this piece, and I really wish that I could see it. I can only hope that it gets recorded.

TimeSuckage, when you say "the English translation was pretty crappy," what do you mean? How well do you know the original German? I love very nearly all of Feingold's Brecht-Weill translations. Although his THREEPENNY is not the strongest available, I find his HAPPY END and his MAHAGONNY to be the most su

re: Maria Friedman - 35 bucks at the Carlyle
 May 19 2006, 04:03:00 PM
"Maria Friedman has got to be considered, along with Bernadette Peters, the preeminent female interpreter of Sondheim's works."

I am so glad to hear someone else share that opinion with me! IMHO, she truly is glorious... and I've never even been given the pleasure of seeing her perform live.

I can only hope that she'll be back on Broadway some time soon, and will get her well-deserved Tony nod that time around.

May 19 2006, 04:01:15 AM
Wonderful!
 May 18 2006, 07:17:39 PM
Is it an all-Sondheim program? I've heard that she sings "Gorgeous" from THE APPLE TREE, too...
re: Tony Snub Gripe Thread
 May 17 2006, 10:53:39 PM
EXACTLY! Maria Friedman...
 May 17 2006, 03:55:39 PM
SpiderDJ and Harpo, I'm with both of you: wish I could see it for 35 (or 75) dollars, but there's no way I can afford to make it to New York on such short notice.
 May 17 2006, 03:51:38 PM
WhataCharacter,

>Out with Sutton Foster(it's a supporting role!): In with >Nellie McKay
>Out with Beth Leavel: In with Cyndi Lauper
>Out with Carolee Carmello: In with Amy Spanger
>Out with Harry Connick: In with Josh Strickland
>Out with Chita: In with Maria Friedman
>Jonathan Price as Best Replacement!
>
>Then, I would be satisfied!

I agree, out with out with Sutton and in with Cyndi, and out with Chita and in with my beloved Maria Friedman.

May 17 2006, 07:01:39 AM
GYPSY1527, I'm with you! It is BULL that Maria Friedman was snubbed! After this year (surving breast cancer and carrying a crap show on her shoulders) the least the American Theatre Wing could have done would have been to reward her with a nomination.
re: Threepenny Revival Song List
 Mar 29 2006, 11:55:29 AM
toomeytwopiece, thanks for your response...
 Mar 28 2006, 12:42:56 AM
Yes, but Weill never actually orchestrated "Lucy's Aria." My question was: is "Lucy's Aria" performed with only piano, or has it been orchestrated?
re: Your Favorite Musical Villains
 Mar 27 2006, 04:24:48 PM
I second Calvin's Carlotta/"This Place is Mine" vote. Who couldn't love this lyric: "Every small detail to supervise/Every pretty face to scru...u..u..u...u-/-tinize."
re: Sweeney Todd
 Mar 27 2006, 04:23:25 PM
I would have to agree. It was the first Broadway show I've ever seen, and I loved it.

(Of course, I knew the show very well going into the theatre, PLUS my dad and I got the TKTS same-day discounted tickets, so that helped...)

Mar 27 2006, 04:22:13 PM
Regarding "Lucy's Aria," most productions also cut it because Weill never actually got around to orchestrating it. Is it performed with simple piano here, or did someone provide an orchestration?

Man, I wish I could see this...

re: Three Penny Opera (gun shots?) other shows 2
 Mar 27 2006, 04:20:20 PM
Oh, my.

All that and full-blown countertenor, too, huh?

I hope that this gets recorded.

re: Three Penny Opera (gun shots?) other shows 2
 Mar 27 2006, 03:52:50 PM
"Threepenny - No gun shots, but a lot of foul language, simulated sex, sexual innuendo, and penile exposure."

Woah, woah, woah, woah, woah... penile exposure?

Mar 27 2006, 03:47:20 PM
I agree about Manoel. However, regarding the sentiment that "2 acts is better suited for today's Broadway audiences," I wish to say, simply, "Who cares?" Brecht & Weill wrote to be a three-act piece. Besides, don't you think theatre managers would see this as double their chance to make money selling refreshments and memorabelia?

However, I'm still totally excited that my beloved THREEPENNY is back on Broadway, and with such an interesting cast.

re: Favorite Rendition of 'Maybe This Time'
 Feb 6 2006, 03:56:28 PM
PaigeByPaige, I also love Ute's rendition. Everything she does is so uniquely “Ute” that it's just hard to beat. I love performers who take big risks.
re: Long Beach CLO Follies cast?
 Feb 6 2006, 03:52:49 PM
Karen Morrow is wonderful. I was lucky enough to catch her Reno Sweeney at the St. Louis MUNY a few years back.
You must log in to view off-topic posts.

Videos

TICKET CENTRAL

Recommended For You