News on your favorite shows, specials & more!

Profile for 06s091

06s091 Profile Photo
Member Name: 06s091
Contact User: You must be logged in to contact BWW members.

Most Recent Message Board Posts:

View Off Topic Posts

Aspects of Love
 Apr 21 2017, 02:30:44 PM

kdogg36 said: "Ah, good to know! It may not have been in there when I saw it (in previews), or I might just not remember because it was a long time ago. :)

I don't miss the scene not being on the recording, but I understand why it was put in. Later in the show we're supposed to believe that Rose and Marcel have a rather close friendship, but very little of that is shown, especially in the first act, where we otherwise only see them fighting
"

Yes, i

Aspects of Love
 Apr 21 2017, 01:18:23 PM

chernjam said: "Yeah I wonder if when they actually performed it if ALW was unsatisfied with it, since there was little to nothing discussed about that after that one production.  I'm curious what ALW kept/discarded.  You can tell that he was still restless with this as he keeps making changes to the score (I think on broadway, Rose and Alex had a nice reprise of There is More to Love replacing one of their other sung dialogue pieces)"

I'm not

Aspects of Love
 Apr 21 2017, 06:37:33 AM

Here's the full press reels footage from the Broadway production, which also include clips of "Other Pleasures" and "Hand Me the Wine and the Dice" (both missing from the video that Jo posted earlier):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E1ZcvRWEIAY

Aspects of Love
 Apr 21 2017, 06:01:27 AM

I agree with most of you - I adore the score, but the book is weak. 
But to be fair, the David Garnett novel is hardly an amazing source in the first place and I feel that the musical actually improved upon it. 

For me the downfall of the show is that none of the characters are all that likable despite great performances by the actors.

That being said, I still adore the music and it's definitely Andrews most underappreciated score. 

As for "The Definitive" version - I haven't seen a production using it, but I have the libretto somewhere and as far as I recall it's a mix of various rewrites and the original. 

Here's a lovely video I only recently found: Michael Ball and Diana Morrison (OLC Alex and Jenny) performing "First Man You Remember":

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IL5LdlbC5GA

Vocal performances recorded more than once
 May 31 2015, 06:41:56 AM

"Les Miz has a few:
Judy Kuhn on the OBC and 10th anniversary
Colm Wilkinson on the OLC, OBC and 10th anniversary
Michael Ball on the OLC and 10th anniversary
Philip Quast on the CSR and 10th anniversary
Kaho Shimada on one of the original Japanese recordings (Japanese) and the CSR (English)"

Michael Ball is also on the CSR and Philip Quast is on the Manchester highlights recording as well. 

Disney songs covered by musical theatre artists?
 May 16 2015, 07:18:55 AM

Michael Crawford has released an album of Disney songs: "Michael Crawford: The Disney Album" 

http://www.amazon.com/The-Disney-Album-Michael-Crawford/dp/B00005O54N

Michael Ball has recorded the following Disney songs:
some can be found on his solo albums, other on his concert dvds and some are tv performances

- Can You Feel the Love Tonight (Lion King)

- Circle of Life (Lion King)

- As Long as There's Christmas (duet with Elaine Paige) (Beauty and the Beast: Enchanted Christmas)

- Baby Mine (Dumbo)

- When She Loved Me (Toy Story 2)

- Bare Necessities (Jungle Book)

- When You Wish Upon a Star (Pinocchio)

He's also done a version of "I've Got No Strings" from Pinocchio, but it's very different from the original as he used it in his one man show at the Donmar in 2001. You can watch it here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mUso1ycL2TY

Edna Turnblad Costumes
 Nov 8 2014, 01:35:18 AM
sorry... double posted
Edna Turnblad Costumes
 Nov 8 2014, 01:31:13 AM
I'm not exactly sure why the pink one was introduced but it seems like it's very few Ednas who wear it.
My guess is this: the red dress is the original design and the pink one was originally made for special performances (like the Tonys) and afterwards was used by Harvey.
The only other person I've seen wear the pink one is Michael Ball. In the West End production he wore the original red one but on the first UK tour he wore the pink one. He shared the role with two other guys but as far as I know they both wore the regular red dress.

As for the question about other costumes going through big changes during the run the first one that comes to mind is the Masquerade dress that Christine wears at the beginning of act 2 in Phantom of the Opera. The original London design was very different and was changed when the show transferred to Broadway. Then later that year the broadway design was implemented in the West End production. The original dress is often called either "The Saloon Girl" or "The Hersey's Kiss dress" and the current one is known as "The Star Princess".

Original dress:

Replacement:

Favorite CD by a broadway star/performer?
 Aug 19 2013, 03:33:13 PM
Michael Ball - "This time... It's Personal", "Music" and "Both Sides Now"
Was there ever a UK recording of
 Aug 19 2013, 12:52:05 AM
Not as far as I know.
I heard that they didn't get permission to release a recording because of the soundtrack from the film version had been released shortly before the London show opened - don't know if it's true though.

I know Michael got most of the original cast together in 2009 to record "You Can't Stop the Beat" for his album - but I think that's the only official recording of the London show.

London's Sweeney Todd Cast Recording with Michael Ball....how is it?
 May 7 2013, 01:04:07 AM
It's a highlights recording focused mostly on Sweeney and Mrs. Lovett so some important songs are missing like "Green Finch and Linnet Bird" and there's no sign of Pirelli at all on the recording.
That aside I still think it's a great recording and it preserves Michael and Imelda's amazing performances.

Still sad that they weren't allowed to do a DVD release like they had planned though.

Olivier Awards London
 Mar 26 2013, 01:33:04 PM
Yeah, both Imelda and Michael are the front runners in their categories and I'll honestly be shocked if they don't win. (as well as win best musical revival).

Sweeney Todd had the same "problem" that Once and Book of Mormon are having now. They opened shortly after the deadline expired. Michael and Imelda hosted the Olivier Awards last year - less than a month after they had opened in Sweeney.

Ann Crumb in Aspects of Love
 Dec 15 2012, 02:22:16 PM
Many actresses were rumoured to play Rose including Sarah Brightman and Claire Moore but as others have said: ALW(or RUG) made a deal with American Equity to cast an American actress in the lead in the next London show in exchange for allowing Sarah to do Phantom on Broadway.

BTW: the woman in that video is Cathy McGowan who at the time was a tv presenter and interviewer. She was there to interview him but they did end up dating. They never married but they are still together.

2013 Broadway
 Dec 5 2012, 12:22:36 PM
I doubt the 2012 revival of Sweeney will transfer to Broadway. It was in the talks and Sondheim wanted it to. It just turned out to be too expensive - they needed something like $10 million to do it.
And even if they got the money now I don't think Michael and Imelda have the time.

Which cast recordings could you only listen to once?
 May 27 2012, 03:33:12 PM
Les Mis OBC (mostly because of David Bryant as Marius)
Broadway Based Music Videos
 May 26 2012, 05:07:17 AM
RainbowJude wrote: "Those dancers certainly bring some comedy to the piece, so I guess it must be a tragc thing that Michael Ball actually can't be the 'first to dance (Diana Morrison) round the floor' because as he sings that line he is actually watching her dance with someone else!"

That "someone else" is actually the choreographer of the video, but he is of course better known for being a judge on both "Strictly Come Dancing" and "Dancing with the Stars" these days: Bruno Tonioli
He was a guest on Michael Ball's talkshow where they talked about this video and it was apparently the producers that wanted the Vogue dancing in the video...

The other "Aspects of Love" music video:

Imelda Staunton as Miss Hannigan
 May 22 2012, 04:20:35 PM
Michael Ball has said that a Broadway transfer is being looked at - but IF it happens it will be a limited run(I'm guessing somewhere between 6 weeks and 3 months at the most) and they would like to bring the entire company over (not just Michael and Imelda).
The trouble seems to be in the financing - apparently the West End transfer almost didn't happen for the same reason.

You wish that was recorded
 May 17 2012, 10:13:08 PM
The original London cast of Hairspray
Was Streisand the first to sing the Sunset Blvd songs to the public?
 May 8 2012, 01:42:04 PM
As others have said Elaine Paige was the first to sing a song from the show, which she did at the wedding in 91.
The first staging at Sydmonton was in August 91. It wasn't the whole show and it was different lyrics.
The cast included Ria Jones as Norma, Michael Ball as Joe, Frances Ruffelle as Betty and Kevin Colson as Max.
The year after(and with a different lyricist involved) it was re-staged at Sydmonton with Patti as Norma and Kevin Anderson as Joe. This was the show that then

2012-2013 Musical Revivals
 May 2 2012, 06:52:28 PM
Sweeney Todd with Michael Ball and Imelda Staunton is rumoured to transfer to Broadway next year.
You must log in to view off-topic posts.

Videos

TICKET CENTRAL

Recommended For You