News on your favorite shows, specials & more!

Profile for downbeat

downbeat Profile Photo
Member Name: downbeat
Contact User: You must be logged in to contact BWW members.

Most Recent Message Board Posts:

View Off Topic Posts

re: SPAMALOT Questions
 Aug 7 2005, 07:59:11 PM
Well, I didn't really mean the lyrics of "Find Your Grail" parody WICKED. I just mean when the Lady of the Lake rises in the huge grail and then her ending of thrusting "her grail" like Elphaba does the broom.

Ooooohhhh...good point! Could be, but it seems a bit "obscure" - every other "spoof" in the show is very overt and obvious (bottle dance from Fiddler, candles and boat from Phantom, etc.) I don't know though...

Lottery
 Aug 7 2005, 07:57:51 PM
Does anyone else's lottery luck go in "streaks"?

A little while back I was HOT - got DRS and Spelling Bee the same week. Then Hairspray and DRS again two weeks later!

But now I'm trying again and loosing left and right - been striking out for weeks. I guess it's payback. *sigh*

re: Most Underrated Songs From This Past Season?
 Aug 7 2005, 07:49:20 PM
sometimes I feel I am the only one who like the DRS opening number "Give them what they want". It just a perfect opening song.

I feel the same way!! A very close second favorite number in the whole show!

Especially live as opposed to the album version it is a PERFECT way to start the show!

re: FLOPZ - sold out???
 Aug 7 2005, 07:24:55 PM
^^BUMP^^

Someone else has to be trying to go...?

re: Partial View seats for Spamalot...
 Aug 7 2005, 07:23:47 PM
I've seen the show from both Partial View and SRO, and both are fine. The first time I saw the show was with a friend who had an extra seat in the 6th row on the left aisle. It was a GREAT view, all you miss was a bit of the action of the far left side.

SRO isn't hard to get as long as you're willing to get up early and be in line by 6:30-7 AM. The sound is a bit dampered but a good view - all you miss is the top of the stage. And it's worth EVERY PENNY of the $26.25 it costs!

re: FLOPZ - sold out???
 Aug 7 2005, 03:09:37 PM

re: SPAMALOT Questions
 Aug 7 2005, 03:08:21 PM
The title Spamalot comes from a line in the original movie (Monty Python and the Holy Grail) and also in the show - "We dine well here in Camelot, we eat ham and jam and Spamalot!" So it's actually a mix of Spam (the food) and Camelot.

I don't think Wicked specifically is targeted in "Find Your Grail," just that type of belting song in general.

re: Most Underrated Songs From This Past Season?
 Aug 7 2005, 03:06:34 PM
Agree with "Life After Life" and the DRS score in general!
FLOPZ - sold out???
 Aug 7 2005, 03:02:49 PM
I was hoping to get tickets at the Box Office today but just checked Telecharge and it says SOLD OUT! They say the same thing on the phone as well. I thought tickets would still be available?

Bummer...

re: did you notice when you saw RENT on stage...??
 Aug 7 2005, 11:48:58 AM
Nice analysis, Kyle!

I've seen the show five times myself and never noticed they weren't in the same place either! =:-O

re: biggest mistake you've witnessed on stage.
 Aug 7 2005, 11:44:27 AM
Wow, krissy, talk about an off night!

I also saw the tour of Aida in Los Angeles and the spotlights didn't go on during "A Step to Far" there too. Obviously a mistake, but I kind of liked the effect - the characters dimly illuminated by the green of the lasers.

re: What Anthony Rapp said at the Today Show /New Song for the Movie?
 Aug 7 2005, 11:38:31 AM
BELIEVE ME - I'm rooting for RENT just as hard but I know the Academy rarely (if ever) makes exceptions to its rules.

They also seem to be very serious about this rule specifically:

http://ampas.org/press/pressreleases/1999/99.06.16.html

"The Board approved the Music Branch's revised definition of Original Song, which specifies that a song must be written specifically for the film in which it appears. "The Music Branch Executive Committee wanted to emphasize the long-standing rule that already-existing songs are not eligible for Academy Award consideration," said Academy Executive Director Bruce Davis. "We're emphasizing that a song can't be taken out of a drawer and plugged into an essentially finished film. To qualify, a song has to be composed for the particular film that it's in, so that it reflects and contributes to that particular picture's mood or theme."

Nino Rota, the composer of THE GODFATHER music, famously had his nomination REVOKED to huge public and industry outcry after it was discovered he had used the theme in an obscure, independent Italian film.

So it doesn't look good...

But you never know - the AMPAS Executive Committee can determine any questions of eligibility, and we've certainly seen the power of the RENT fanbase before...

re: Who of the 6 DRS leads comes out of the stage door after matinees?
 Aug 7 2005, 11:27:05 AM
Sherie generally does NOT come out at matinees. She is very nice when she does come out thought and will sign for everyone and stop and chat with fans.
re: Glengarry Rush?
 Aug 6 2005, 12:23:17 AM
Went tonight - got there at 7:10 and got a seat in the center of the 5th row from the back. The mezz was pretty filled tonight except for the extreme sides, so no moving up but still a good seat.

What an AMAZING show - review coming later but great performances by all!

I missed everyone at the stage door though since I was waiting by the WRONG DOOR apparently. I waited with a small group for 30 minutes outside the door to the left of the entrance only to see Alan Alda rush by i

re: Has anyone ever met a *nice* Joanna Gleason?
 Aug 6 2005, 12:19:44 AM
DoogieB - you actually met her?
re: What Anthony Rapp said at the Today Show /New Song for the Movie?
 Aug 6 2005, 12:18:06 AM
Unfortunately, I still don't think it would be eligible for a Best Song Oscar even if it was written by Jonathan before he passed and unused in anything else. The Academy rules clearly state a song must be written specifically FOR THE FILM to be eligible.

From http://www.oscars.org/75academyawards/rules/index_text.html (emphasis mine):

II. Original Song:
An original song consists of words and music, both of which are original and written specifically for the film. There must be a clearly audible, intelligible, substantive rendition (not necessarily visually presented) of both lyric and melody, used in the body of the film or as the first song in the end credits.

re: biggest mistake you've witnessed on stage.
 Aug 6 2005, 12:13:16 AM
During The Producers early in the run Matthew Broderick COMPLETELY forgot the lyrics to "That Face." He just stopped and looked at Nathan Lane who, staying in character I think, shrugged at him like "I don't know the words!"

Everyone started cracking up, including Lane and Broderick, and the orchestra kept vamping, until Broderick finally walked up TO THE CONDUCTOR who handed him the sheet music. He looked at it a second, still cracking up, handed it back, and finished the song.

Aug 3 2005, 12:25:22 AM
Sorry - double post!
 Aug 3 2005, 12:25:21 AM
Last two rows of the mezz...ugh. Especially for a show that hasn't been selling out an hour before.

I'll still give it a shot though - don't want to miss it!

re: hairspray finland production. what is the link to the site?????
 Aug 3 2005, 12:17:54 AM
Ah, yes! Who could ever forget the thin, 55 year-old Tracy and the white Seaweed?? And those bears!!

Looking forward to Mr. Shaiman's comments when he returns from Opening Night!

"Tracy T-HURN-bladddddd!"

You must log in to view off-topic posts.

Videos

TICKET CENTRAL

Recommended For You