News on your favorite shows, specials & more!

Profile for lucynewlife

Member Name: lucynewlife
Contact User: You must be logged in to contact BWW members.

Most Recent Message Board Posts:

View Off Topic Posts

Shrek tour
 Feb 26 2024, 07:38:18 AM

The Distinctive Baritone said: "The repeated “we wanted to go back to the simpler traditions of storytelling” spiel when this is clearly an attempt to produce the show as cheaply as possible (I mean it non-Equity for chrissake) is kind of nauseating. And Shrek with green skin but no prosthetics makes him look like an obese Elphaba. Pass."

What I love is somehow this "****ty costumes from people telling Shrek's story" is somehow getting "

Maguire to release WICKED prequel novel before film release
 Feb 8 2024, 07:58:32 PM

I wonder of him working on this is why the last book in the Another Day (Wicked Sequel) trilogy, which just came out in fall 2023--a year after the second book--was so bad. It read like a first draft that got thrown to the publisher before any revisions or edits.

Aladdin tour
 Jul 25 2023, 09:35:53 PM

The first run of the tour looked identical to when I saw it on Broadway, at least in terms of mechanic. The carpet came back out in the end as well.

The second/current run... not so much. I was actually a bit embarrassed because I'd talked it up a bit to my young relatives who were going with me, and it fell so flat. The carpet moved slower and very clunky, the backdrop seemed really dull and had barely any stars, just a few dotting the upper part of the screen. Overall the "m

Universal's WICKED Film - News & Discussion Thread
 May 3 2023, 07:47:39 PM

jlindsey865 said: "I really hope they don’t explicitly show Elphaba living at the end like they do in the stage show. As much as I do enjoy the show, I think that part of the finale is so corny.

I would be fine with the implication that she lives, but I hope it’s not super obvious.
"

Too bad we can't get the last bit of the book in there (or maybe we can? With Glinda telling the story to someone?):

May 3 2023, 04:01:23 PM

Jeffrey Karasarides said: "lucynewlife said: "Globefan said: "Cynthia's Elphie is probably the closest we'll ever get to Elphie from the book on film."

Although personally I'd much rather we just get an adaptation of the books than the quasi book/musical/original that the film is going for.
"

On a recent Next Best Picture podcast, Matt Neglia was recapping this year's CinemaCon with Dan Bayer and Josh Parham. When they

May 3 2023, 03:03:57 PM

Globefan said: "

Cynthia's Elphie is probably the closest we'll ever get to Elphie from the book on film."

Acting wise, we'll see! Do we know if she's read the book? I know a few of the stage Elphabas have read the book as prep work and it showed in their performance (Julia Murney and Willemijn Verkaik come to mind) as much as possible with the stage show's writing limitations, anyway.

Although personally I'd much rather we just get an ad

May 3 2023, 02:00:40 PM

ElephantLoveMedley said: "Finally a few sneaks at Cynthia as Elphaba!

https://www.justjared.com/2023/05/03/wicked-set-photos-show-cynthia-erivo-her-stunt-double-flying-as-elphaba/

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz/article-12042383/Wicked-Cynthia-Erivo-seen-time-character-Elphaba.html
"

Thank goodness they aren't just CGI-ing the green in later. I'm loving the sharpness of the coat collar. It kind of gives me vibes from the book, very utilitarian and stark.

Hearing Casey Nicholaw is new director of Disney's 'Hercules'
 Apr 21 2023, 11:27:27 PM

lapinitsa said:

Yes, he was. It was widely reported. And as Betty22 said, Menken himself gave Nicholaw credit for pulling the show together between Toronto and NY. Does the material for Herc give him the same opportunity? I dunno.

"

Good point. IMO considering that the Toronto-to-Broadway Aladdin transformation largely revolved around "Emphasize the Genie as much as possible specifically because of James Monroe Iglehart being given

Hearing Casey Nicholaw is new director of Disney's 'Hercules'
 Apr 21 2023, 02:54:31 PM

was Casey responsible for the Aladdin revisions from Toronto to Broadway? If so, it will be interesting to see what can be done with Hercules, based on the reviews/critiques. I do think that the Aladdin revisions from Toronto to Broadway made the show a lot safer but also a bit more bland in the process.

2023-2024 Touring Season
 Nov 10 2022, 03:20:21 PM

I'm guessing since Six is coming in May/June, they're making the announcement far earlier than normal. I'm a subscriber but didn't get the email, though.

Legally Blonde Muny
 Jun 9 2022, 09:05:45 PM

Kyla Stone was great in Anastasia. Definitely hard to make a poorly written character like Anya work, but she did a lot with the role to make it better.

May 15 2022, 10:55:34 AM

BrodyFosse123 said: "Look at the lengths of my responses to yours. If you noticed, I not once defended my statements, though you keep dragging them on. Who’s in a tizzy, Lizzy? cheeky"

Oh dear, you think that writing a few sentences means that I'm upset? If reading a few sentences is too much for you and indicates anything other than someone sharing their thoughts, I don't know what to tell you. Seems like you prefer people to shut up and mindlessly praise others.

"Omg!! They are SOOo right about Erivo! She makes veteran actresses with incredible voices look like HIGH SCHOOL PERFORMERS :P :P :P :P :P!!" seems more up your alley.

You defended your statements when you attempted to shut me down merely for responding to them. Again, if you want a vacuum, there are options for that.

May 15 2022, 10:11:58 AM

BrodyFosse123 said: "We got it. No need to continue ranting. Go outside for a walk. Move on. No need to keep dragging your point. Wow! You truly are a piece of work. This is just a message board. You read comments. You see one that upsets you, you move on. You DON’T let it affect you. You have some pie instead. Life’s too short, bro. To argue with strangers. kiss"

A message board is for discussing. Sorry that your friends working on the film unnecessarily dragging down every actress to play Elphaba in an attempt to boost Erivo up wasn't perfectly received in a vacuum or given only butt pats.

If you'd like to make comments that no one can respond to, I suggest tweeting with the comment option locked. Otherwise, time to put on your grown up pants and deal with other people discussing what you say.

It's not affecting me, though I'm sure you fervently wish it was, much in the same way your buddies wish Erivo was actually making actresses like Willemijn Verkaik look like a high school performers. You, on the other hand, seem quite in a tizzy about a single negative comment over your friend's unnecessary negativity. Wonder why that is.

Blessed day! heart

May 15 2022, 09:24:44 AM

QueenTwinnied said: "

Slang usage on the internet is gross to you? Grow up.

As for Erivo’s performance, it’s delusional to think she wouldn’t absolutely kill the score. Did you see The Color Purple? Everything about your post seems unnecessarily negative about something we haven’t seen yet, so please get a hobby
"

Slang isn't gross, but using slang from outdated Lost Cause narratives that mock AAVE is, yes.

May 15 2022, 02:21:46 AM

BrodyFosse123 said: "That sho’ wuz a mouthful, lucynewlife. Happy I helped get your cardio going for the weekend.cheeky"

"Sho' wuz"? Gross.

Although if two paragraphs is too much for you to handle, perhaps you and your hyperbolic friends working on this potential flop of a film are in good company.

wink

May 15 2022, 01:37:29 AM

BrodyFosse123 said: "I have 2 friends working on the film and they heard some of Ariana’s rehearsal material and she’s indeed singing the score as written. Not in her pop music stylings. Erivo’s Elphaba is completely her own and truly makes all the others who played the role on stage, including Menzel, sound like high school musical theater students."

The idea that Erivo is making some exceptionally powerful vocalists, some of whom figuratively blow

Disney's ALADDIN filmed for release
 May 12 2022, 07:04:47 PM

One would think if Disney cared that much about the optics of casting white actors and actors who aren't of Middle Eastern descent, they wouldn't have let the companies make such a fuss about Jonathan Freeman's last show on their social media accounts. I was surprised when it was all over various official public accounts, because I assumed that was the reason for this proshot not being released, that an uptick in people talking about casting white actors in these roles was going t

Jan 30 2022, 12:59:48 AM

Maybe they'll actually incorporate the Time Dragon Clock into the story, or rather a version of it altered to suit the musicals' narrative.

I can also see them maybe naming some of the students after book characters, like maybe have students called Tibbett and Crope.

Anastasia tour - new cast announcement
 Sep 20 2021, 04:00:40 PM

Before the pandemic, the tour was planning to go non-equity in the fall of 2020 after the original tour closed, then quickly re-open as non-equity. So what they've done is just decided not to re-open the original equity tour (which had to close early because of the pandemic) at all and go right to non-equity.

It's disappointing, especially since the Anastasia who was going to take over after Lila Coogan left was (IMO) far better in the role than Coogan, and she never got a chan

Serenbe Playhouse Founder part of MAGA Mob
 Aug 11 2021, 09:47:53 AM

It's especially disheartening to read about the unsafe conditions on set, and the injuries. It's hard to think about the awe inspired by the atmosphere of the "Titanic" trailer without thinking about how someone was unable to work for half a year because of it. I'm surprised there weren't reports of other injuries on that set, or maybe other actors haven't spoken out about them.

You must log in to view off-topic posts.

Videos

TICKET CENTRAL

Recommended For You