News on your favorite shows, specials & more!

Profile for Chaz Hands

Member Name: Chaz Hands
Contact User: You must be logged in to contact BWW members.

Most Recent Message Board Posts:

View Off Topic Posts

Disney's CRUELLA and ENCHANTED becoming stage musicals?
 Apr 3 2024, 11:08:40 PM

djjd007 said: "These surveys don’t indicate development. Typically they are used for market research. ACruella musical could be really interesting though."

Well over 80% of the ones listed have either had a tryout or workshop sessions, so for most I think it does indicate development. There were only 4 or 5 out of the 44 that had no prior announcement.

Happy Feet on Broadway?
 Apr 3 2024, 03:11:37 PM

Here’s the full list of “shows/tours in development” according to the survey:

In Dreams

Begin Again (music by Pat Monahan)

Hercules

The Bedwetter

Goddess

Buena Vista Social Club

Swept Away

Death Becomes Her

Clue 2

A Wonderful World

Freaky Friday

Practical Magic (music by Norah Jones)

Thelma & Louise

Tammy Faye

Happy Feet on Broadway?
 Apr 3 2024, 11:29:10 AM

Per the Broadway Across America survey I just got, it seems like there is a team currently working on this.

It was listed as a show in development alongside other productions such as Thelma & Louise, Coco, and Night at the Museum to name a few.

New Musicals for 2024-2025 ?
 Mar 20 2024, 12:50:24 AM

Where’s Troynow when you need him lmaoooo?

I’m thinking Hercules will open next season now that Casey Nicholaw was able to fix it overseas a few months ago. Just a guess though!

Disney developing TANGLED stage musical
 Feb 14 2024, 01:00:14 PM

ErmengardeStopSniveling said: "It's not that a third show impacted ALADDIN, it's that FROZEN wasn't a strong enough draw when you also have ALADDIN and LION KING as stronger options in the marketplace. I don't thinkanyshow mentioned in this thread would find greater success than Frozen under similar circumstances (with the exception of Princess Bride, which is kind of its own thing and not based on a Disney Animation title, and there's been radio silence

Disney developing TANGLED stage musical
 Feb 14 2024, 10:02:15 AM

ErmengardeStopSniveling said: "Broadway Flash said: "Is Donna Murphy gonna play Mother Gothel again?"

I sure hope so! But this could also be getting developed for licensing/touring (like they did with Freaky Friday and plannedto do with Newsies) instead of a proper Broadway run. Frozen showed us that Disney can't really have more than 2 successful shows running at a time, and Hercules is in the pipeline. I don't think Tangled has

MY BEST FRIEND'S WEDDING musical, featuring Burt Bacharach catalogue songs
 Jan 30 2024, 02:16:24 PM

ErmengardeStopSniveling said: "In terms of composers who can do "light & melodic"...

Matt Sklar &Chad Beguelin
I hopeBrandy ClarkandShane McAnallywill return to the theatre
Emily Bear & Abigail Barlow (Bridgerton musical) for up-and-comers?
David Bryan
Joe Iconis
Andrew Lippa
(sometimes)
Marlow & Moss
The Kirkpatricks
wrote one g

Non Equity Tours
 Jan 27 2024, 12:15:44 PM

The Distinctive Baritone said: "For me, the main issue is the ethics of what we the audience are paying versus what the actors, musicians, and crew members are getting paid. I just looked to see how much it would cost to take my daughter to the new Peter Pan tour, and orchestra seats are $225 each. Thats ridiculous on a variety of levels, but especially when I know that the cast is making half of what they would if it were an Equity tour, yet the audience is paying the same

Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 1/21/24
 Jan 23 2024, 03:15:00 PM

Jarethan said: "EDSOSLO858 said: "Not bad forSweeneywith the understudies!

Is this the first full weekBack to the Futurecame up short of seven figures?
"

Re your first point, I am guessing that that bodes well for Tveit / Foster. Re your second point, it hovered at $1.0M 5 or 6 weeks. It will be very interesting to see if summer and holiday weeks / week-ends are sufficient to keep this running, if it really does break even at

Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 1/21/24
 Jan 23 2024, 01:27:37 PM

EDSOSLO858 said: "Not bad forSweeneywith the understudies!

Is this the first full weekBack to the Futurecame up short of seven figures?
"

I think so. But their weekly nut is 980k, so they almost broke even for the week, which isn’t bad for January.

DAYS OF WINE AND ROSES Previews
 Jan 22 2024, 10:47:36 PM

willep said: "I just think they were superfluous and the show could’ve been just the two of them, the daughter and the father."

I agree! I don’t think the ensemble needed to do more. I just don’t think they needed to be there. I thought it could have been a 5 person musical, Joe, Kirsten, Lila, the dad, and the sponsor (who could’ve gotten an extra scene and/or song had we eliminated some of the other superfluous scenes, such as the bookstore

DAYS OF WINE AND ROSES Previews
 Jan 22 2024, 08:27:05 PM

I saw the show this weekend, and while I don’t think it was a perfect show, I liked it better than most of the new recent musicals that have opened on Broadway.

I can’t see a world in which this isn’t nominated for at least Best Musical, Best Score, Best Actor, and Best Actress.

Yes, the ensemble was under-used. Yes, there weren’t any hummable tunes. But there is so much beautiful singing and storytelling happening on that stage. If Kelli doesn’t wi

Reimagined Peter Pan - anyone seen it?
 Dec 22 2023, 12:48:27 AM

I saw the tour this week and didn’t love it. The scenic design and special effects were incredible, as was Hawa Kamara who played Wendy, but overall found the show mediocre. 

The energy on stage felt low, pacing was too slow, and there were some puzzling directorial choices. Why was the babysitter wearing Beats headphones? Why did Peter Pan have a New York accent and nobody else did? Why weren’t there more laugh lines added in, since they updated the script

A lack of great new choreographers and director-choreographers?
 Dec 19 2023, 12:08:46 PM

I personally am excited to see how Danny Mefford’s career continues to grow in the next few years.

I think his choreography work is very story-driven, so I’m optimistic that his directing will be well-informed, too.

I also think we need to give some grace though to newer director/choreographers because it is a hard role to break into, especially when so many of the “classics” are still working such as Casey Nicholaw, Jerry Mitchell, Susan Stroman, etc.&nb

Michael Arden to direct musical adaptation of THE LOST BOYS, with music by The Rescues
 Dec 13 2023, 05:44:30 PM

Kad said: "BETTY22 said: "I loved the film almost everything Arden has directed. His revivals are great. What original shows has he developed before?"

I don't believe that anything he's helped develop has yet been produced- with the exception of the Jefferson Mays Christmas Carol, though one could argue that wasn't "original."
"

He’s directing The Preacher’s Wife at Alliance this season, and is also direc

2024-2025 Touring Season
 Dec 13 2023, 05:00:02 PM

Do we know if Almost Famous is touring? They just had that work session I know. But was that to fix and tweak before it tours? Or is it going straight to licensing? If it doesn’t tour in 2024-2025, than I feel like it will have missed its window to do so.

2024-2025 Touring Season
 Dec 12 2023, 07:33:52 PM

The Adamm’s Family is also going back out on a non-union tour I believe 

Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 12/10/23
 Dec 12 2023, 04:43:33 PM

DaveyG said: "hearthemsing22 said: "I keep saying the numbers for Back to the Future are great! But are there really people who see a show gross $1M+ and say "nope not good enough"?"

If the running costs are also 1M+ per week, then it isn’t good enough. Could be much worse, but they’re not making a dent in paying back their capitalization at this rate.
"

I believe I read their weekly nut was 980k, so they have been m

Peter Pan 2023 Tour
 Dec 11 2023, 07:51:57 PM

MinneapolisMichael said: "I am working on this show. It is currently in preview performances until Friday.
audiences are loving it.
"

Are there any promo codes for the run? Trying to decide if I want to make the trip

HEART OF ROCK & ROLL to open on Broadway this season?
 Oct 13 2023, 12:38:08 AM

Voter said: "Has anyone heard any updates on this?"

Not an official confirmation, but Gordon Greenberg does say he’ll be directing this show on Broadway in 2024 on his website.

You must log in to view off-topic posts.

Videos

TICKET CENTRAL

Recommended For You