The Next Great Broadway Memoir?

macbeth Profile Photo
macbeth
#1The Next Great Broadway Memoir?
Posted: 1/2/24 at 8:25am

Having finally finished Barbra's audiobook on New Year's Day, I'm wondering who amongst the current crop of Broadway stars and talent we might all be reading a great book from over the next couple of decades? 

Audra gets my vote 

Jordan Catalano Profile Photo
Jordan Catalano
#2The Next Great Broadway Memoir?
Posted: 1/2/24 at 8:35am

I hope we get one from Bernadette.

Theatrefanboy1
#3The Next Great Broadway Memoir?
Posted: 1/2/24 at 9:06am

Bernadette for sure.   I wish Patti wrote hers later in life.  I would love one from Nathan lane.   Or a second on from Webber post phantom.  Alan menken. Or Stephan Schwartz. I love composer creator memoirs.  

oh also Julie Andrews is finishing up here trilogy memoir.  and I believe it should be coming in the next 18 months 

BrodyFosse123 Profile Photo
BrodyFosse123
#4The Next Great Broadway Memoir?
Posted: 1/2/24 at 9:24am

Hopefully one that is honest and authentic.  Barbra's was full of her fabricated "truths" and countless things that are documented and can be fact checked, she distorts to suit her story.  She clearly knows her memoir is to be the Bible of her history from her lips but so many things just don't match up and she's left out so much from her early days.  I stopped reading after page 75 and stopped listening to her audiobook after an hour.  Also found out many others stopped reading and just lost interest on this memoir.  It's now apparent that all these past biographies were accurate as she herself rehashes tons of stuff we already knew so she really isn't adding much.  As a huge Streisand fan, I was enormously disappointed with her "memoir."  I have zero interest in finishing it - either the book or the audiobook.  

macbeth Profile Photo
macbeth
#5The Next Great Broadway Memoir?
Posted: 1/2/24 at 9:37am

Can you give a few examples Brody of what you think was fabricated or way off about Barbra's book? Honestly curious. 

BrodyFosse123
#6The Next Great Broadway Memoir?
Posted: 1/2/24 at 9:53am

macbeth said: "Can you give a few examples Brody of what you think was fabricated or way off about Barbra's book? Honestly curious."

Just for starters, she claims she taught herself her iconic Cleopatra make-up and her panache for obscure music that she incorporated into her night club acts. Anyone who knows her early days and countless people who knew her back then can confirm she was clueless to musical styles and Barry (Barré) Dennen was the one who created her material and sets for all her night club gigs. He taught her the different genres and how to perform them. Acclaimed illustrator Bob Schulenberg was friends with both of them at that time and created and taught her make-up tricks, including teaching her to extend her eyes by that Cleopatra-style cat-eye, etc. Terry Leong taught her about clothes and created and designed all her night club outfits from vintage thrift shop finds. In her memoir, she credits herself fully on all of this and reduces these men to a senstence. Also, many can confirm that she DID have a romantic relationship with Barry Dennen (tons of physical proof exist from her love letters to him - a bit obsessive for an 18 year old), but she throws him under the bus as a liar. Many others found countless discrepancies and twisting of things for her “truths.” 

BrodyFosse123
#7The Next Great Broadway Memoir?
Posted: 1/2/24 at 9:57am

Bob Schulenberg himself has addressed her delusional take on her history. Even sharing an illustration he did for her in 1960 as a make-up guideline for her. 

The Next Great Broadway Memoir?

nealb1 Profile Photo
nealb1
#8The Next Great Broadway Memoir?
Posted: 1/2/24 at 10:00am

In the 60's women wore their eye make up like that.  Barbra did what so many others were doing.  I'm sure she did have friends who suggested wear to buy clothes, what colors would look best, how to do her make up, etc.  That's what friends do.  

Do you have copies of the love letters that we can see that she wrote?  

I read the entire book as did all of my friends who bought it, as well.  You're the first person I've met - be it online, who said that they just stopped reading it.  

rattleNwoolypenguin
#9The Next Great Broadway Memoir?
Posted: 1/2/24 at 10:18am

I wouldn't be surprised also if we don't get one from Bernadette.

I've heard she holds her cards close which I respect. 

BeingAlive44Ever
#10The Next Great Broadway Memoir?
Posted: 1/2/24 at 12:42pm

My first thought was "Oh what about Harvey Fierstein?" and then I realized I already have his memoir and read it and love it

And, unlike Barbra's, almost everything in his book is verifiable 

I think maybe the weirdest bit that some people might dispute is that he actually ghostwrote Hairspray, but that has been floating around in different forms for so many years and he's so consistent in talking about it that I find it basically completely likely that he did in fact ghostwrite Hairspray 

As for who I'd want to see, Alan Menken would be awesome, Audra obviously would be sick, pretty much everybody that's been said, but I'm not that interested in another Lloyd Webber 

Y'know, Michael Rupert is in his seventies, so I would love if he were to write a memoir, but I doubt there'd be much of a market for it

inception Profile Photo
inception
#11The Next Great Broadway Memoir?
Posted: 1/2/24 at 1:17pm

I'm surprised anyone believed that anything in Streisand's book would be true. As much as I admire her talent and her performances and enjoy her early films, every she says and does has always been so self serving.

She reminds me of a Canadian politician from the 80's who used to have a glass of water beside him when he gave speeches.  Everyone said it was to help him swallow down his lies.

I didn't bother buying the book.

BeingAlive44Ever
#12The Next Great Broadway Memoir?
Posted: 1/2/24 at 1:35pm

inception said: "I'm surprised anyone believed that anything in Streisand's book would be true. As much as I admire her talent and her performances and enjoy her early films, every she says and does has always been so self serving.

She reminds me of a Canadian politician from the 80's who used to have a glass of water beside him when he gave speeches. Everyone said it was to help him swallow down his lies.

I didn't bother buying the book.
"

It's a little sad to me because I really really love Barbra Streisand 

But, ultimately, it's abundantly clear that her memoir is mostly formulated... 

uncageg Profile Photo
uncageg
#13The Next Great Broadway Memoir?
Posted: 1/2/24 at 2:48pm

I would love one from George C Wolfe.

Just give the world Love.

ErmengardeStopSniveling Profile Photo
ErmengardeStopSniveling
#14The Next Great Broadway Memoir?
Posted: 1/2/24 at 3:04pm

Marc Shaiman said he is working on one and that there is MUCH to be told about the experience working on SOME LIKE IT HOT (which I have heard was a little bumpier than some other shows due to a lead producer that is usually only a landlord).

CATSNYrevival Profile Photo
CATSNYrevival
#15The Next Great Broadway Memoir?
Posted: 1/2/24 at 4:32pm

ErmengardeStopSniveling said: "Marc Shaiman said he is working on one and that there is MUCH to be told about the experience working on SOME LIKE IT HOT (which I have heard was a little bumpier than some other shows due to a lead producer that is usually only a landlord)."

I’ll be much more interested to read the chapters about Charlie and the Chocolate Factory on Broadway.

Kad Profile Photo
Kad
#16The Next Great Broadway Memoir?
Posted: 1/2/24 at 4:59pm

Shaiman has had such a long and storied career across basically every part of the entertainment industry and he's only 64- Broadway is just one part of it. A memoir from him would be very welcome.

"...everyone finally shut up, and the audience could enjoy the beginning of the Anatevka Pogram in peace."

BeingAlive44Ever
#17The Next Great Broadway Memoir?
Posted: 1/2/24 at 5:27pm

Oh, Marc Shaiman would really awesome to get

Y'know an actor who will literally never write a memoir just because of the kind of person he is but if he did write one I'd buy three copies? 

Christian Borle

Also Kristin Chenoweth wrote a memoir when she was like forty and I really hope she writes another one when she's in her seventies 

But those are pretty far down the road

I was going to say Mel Brooks was a no brainer but I thought maybe he wrote one like twenty years ago

Nope, he actually wrote one two years ago

Wow he really waited on that

Crap Joel Grey has one too 

Every really really old person has one

fosterfan2
#18The Next Great Broadway Memoir?
Posted: 1/2/24 at 5:50pm

Idina Menzel.

I kind of wish Patti LuPone would write a sequel to her memoir. I'd love to read stories about Company,American Horror Story,and her tours. She's so funny.

Jordan Catalano Profile Photo
Jordan Catalano
#19The Next Great Broadway Memoir?
Posted: 1/2/24 at 5:53pm

Although it would only feature a little bit of Broadway, I’d kill for Bette Midler to write one. 

IdinaBellFoster Profile Photo
IdinaBellFoster
#20The Next Great Broadway Memoir?
Posted: 1/2/24 at 7:12pm

Anyone who went into Barbra’s book looking for verifiable truth is insane. I listened to 48 hours of her version of the truth which is exactly what I wanted! A healthy dose of delusion!

"Oh look at the time, three more intelligent plays just closed and THE ADDAMS FAMILY made another million dollars" -Jackie Hoffman, Broadway.com Audience Awards

Kad Profile Photo
Kad
#21The Next Great Broadway Memoir?
Posted: 1/2/24 at 7:17pm

A woman who infamously had fake storefronts built in her basement is playing fast and loose with truth?!

"...everyone finally shut up, and the audience could enjoy the beginning of the Anatevka Pogram in peace."

BeingAlive44Ever
#22The Next Great Broadway Memoir?
Posted: 1/2/24 at 8:13pm

IdinaBellFoster said: "Anyone who went into Barbra’s book looking for verifiable truth is insane. I listened to 48 hours of her version of the truth which is exactly what I wanted! A healthy dose of delusion!"

I think that most people just want to believe in the validity of performers that they love 

Luckily, I don't have to worry about that because I would be genuinely shocked if Harvey Fierstein is anything other than what he appears to be 

JSquared2
#23The Next Great Broadway Memoir?
Posted: 1/2/24 at 8:29pm

BrodyFosse123 said: "Hopefully one that is honest and authentic. Barbra's was full of her fabricated "truths" and countless things that are documented and can be fact checked, she distorts to suit her story. She clearly knows her memoir is to be the Bible of her history from her lips but so many things just don't match up and she's left out so much from her early days. I stopped reading after page 75 and stopped listening to her audiobook after an hour. Also found out many others stopped reading and just lost interest on this memoir. It's now apparent that all these past biographies were accurate as she herself rehashes tons of stuff we already knew so she really isn't adding much. As a huge Streisand fan, I was enormously disappointed with her "memoir." I have zero interest in finishing it - either the book or the audiobook."

I would pay good money to hear JTF do a dramatic reading of your melodramatic post!

BeingAlive44Ever
#24The Next Great Broadway Memoir?
Posted: 1/2/24 at 8:39pm

JSquared2 said: "BrodyFosse123 said: "Hopefully one that is honest and authentic. Barbra's was full of her fabricated "truths" and countless things that are documented and can be fact checked, she distorts to suit her story. She clearly knows her memoir is to be the Bible of her history from her lips but so many things just don't match up and she's left out so much from her early days. I stopped reading after page 75 and stopped listening to her audiobook after an hour. Also found out many others stopped reading and just lost interest on this memoir. It's now apparent that all these past biographies were accurate as she herself rehashes tons of stuff we already knew so she really isn't adding much. As a huge Streisand fan, I was enormously disappointed with her "memoir." I have zero interest in finishing it - either the book or the audiobook."

I would pay good money to hear JTF do a dramatic reading of your melodramatic post!
"

JTF as in Junior Theatre Festival...? 

jacobsnchz14 Profile Photo
jacobsnchz14
#25The Next Great Broadway Memoir?
Posted: 1/2/24 at 8:39pm

I’m sure we’ll get a third from Andrew Rannells and I hope we get one from Donna Murphy or Kelli O’Hara. I could see Annaleigh doing a children’s book or a Tina Fey-style humor/memoir. I agree; Nathan and Audra would be great… but I would especially love a book from Laura Benanti. Didn’t she do a children’s book of some sort? Did we get one from Dame Angela? Sad, if not. On another composer front, can you imagine a tome or compendium of Alan Menken’s?