pixeltracker

Bad Cinderella needs to go to the Winter Garden

Bad Cinderella needs to go to the Winter Garden

Broadway Flash Profile Photo
Broadway Flash
#1Bad Cinderella needs to go to the Winter Garden
Posted: 1/17/23 at 9:09am

All new Andrew Lloyd Webber musicals need to play the Winter Garden.  This is Broadway's next big hit and should play a fabulous theatre like the WG, which is much more appropriate for this show anyway. It's not too late to change theatres.  It's the best score of the season.

Updated On: 1/17/23 at 09:09 AM

InTheBathroom1
hearthemsing22
#3Bad Cinderella needs to go to the Winter Garden
Posted: 1/17/23 at 9:19am

Yes let's kick out a big show like Back To The Future and replace it with a smaller ALW show that might not fill the space. That's smart. LOL

jv92 Profile Photo
jv92
#4Bad Cinderella needs to go to the Winter Garden
Posted: 1/17/23 at 9:20am

'Fraid not, because I'm planning my own delusion for the Winter Garden this spring-- MAME, FOLLIES and PACIFIC OVERTURES with original sets and costumes in rep. 

Lloyd Webber is a savvy man of the theatre, and one wielding some power when it comes to booking Shubert houses. I'm sure there's a reason he picked the Imperial. He did sort of demand his PHANTOM play the Majestic after all. 

Broadway Flash
#5Bad Cinderella needs to go to the Winter Garden
Posted: 1/17/23 at 9:21am

You are mistaken.  It is back to the future that won't be able to fill the seats.  Bad Cinderella is selling extremely well, and the Winter Garden is only like 50 seats more than the Imperial.

hearthemsing22
#6Bad Cinderella needs to go to the Winter Garden
Posted: 1/17/23 at 9:23am

Broadway Flash said: "You are mistaken. It is back to the future that won't be able to fill the seats. Bad Cinderella is selling extremely well, and the Winter Garden is only like 50 seats more than the Imperial."

I have seen the set for Bad Cinderella. I have an idea of what Back To The Future entails. You want to cram that into a smaller venue?? Do you honestly think this is realistic. Think about this from a production standpoint and what sets need, etc. 

Dylan Smith4 Profile Photo
Dylan Smith4
#7Bad Cinderella needs to go to the Winter Garden
Posted: 1/17/23 at 9:27am

Are you serious right now? This show will flop badly on Broadway. Especially after all the controversies with the London production. I am only considering seeing this because Carolee Carmello is playing the stepmother. 

The idea is to work and to experiment. Some things will be creatively successful, some things will succeed at the box office, and some things will only - which is the biggest only - teach you things that see the future. And they're probably as valuable as any of your successes. -Harold Prince

Broadway Flash
#8Bad Cinderella needs to go to the Winter Garden
Posted: 1/17/23 at 9:29am

It's less about Back to the Future, and more about putting Bad Cinderella in a much more appropriate theatre.  Music Man barely had a set, and it was great.  Plus, why should a flop like Future take up one of the best Broadway houses over an actual hit show.

Broadway Flash
#9Bad Cinderella needs to go to the Winter Garden
Posted: 1/17/23 at 9:34am

Dylan Smith4 said: "Are you serious right now? This show will flop badly on Broadway. Especially after all the controversies with the London production. I am only considering seeing this because Carolee Carmello is playing the stepmother."

This is definitely not a flop.  The New York Times gave it a nice review in London, the music is fantastic, and they're making changes to make it even better.

trpguyy
#10Bad Cinderella needs to go to the Winter Garden
Posted: 1/17/23 at 9:47am

[Bad] Cinderella has had their eye on the Imperial for years and have been losing in for several weeks already. So yeah, it’s a bit too late. 

QueenTwinnied
#11Bad Cinderella needs to go to the Winter Garden
Posted: 1/17/23 at 10:03am

Broadway Flash said: "Dylan Smith4 said: "Are you serious right now? This show will flop badly on Broadway. Especially after all the controversies with the London production. I am only considering seeing this because Carolee Carmello is playing the stepmother."

This is definitely not a flop. The New York Times gave it a nice review in London, the music is fantastic, and they're making changes to make it even better.
"

Sure, Andrew

Owen22
#12Bad Cinderella needs to go to the Winter Garden
Posted: 1/17/23 at 10:05am

Broadway Flash said: "Dylan Smith4 said: "Are you serious right now? This show will flop badly on Broadway. Especially after all the controversies with the London production. I am only considering seeing this because Carolee Carmello is playing the stepmother."

This is definitely not a flop. The New York Times gave it a nice review in London, the music is fantastic, and they're making changes to make it even better.
"

Oh, no. I beg to differ. This WAS a flop in London and will again be a flop in New York. It was a subpar show and with the same subpar director and ALW micro-managing a new book writer (again!) so in all probability will be a bad show again.

And if you mention the good reviews it got in the West End, the critics there are nowhere near as astute as New York's (I'm talking about the newpapers, the online critics aren't bad) and handed Lloyd-Webber a good critique out of the good will he had shown toward doing his best to restart theatre again after the pandemic. Even a bad critic should have been able to tell "Bad Cinderella" was...well, you know....

yyys
#13Bad Cinderella needs to go to the Winter Garden
Posted: 1/17/23 at 10:09am

Doesn't look like it's selling that well...lol

Broadway Flash
#14Bad Cinderella needs to go to the Winter Garden
Posted: 1/17/23 at 10:14am

Do you know why they wanted the Imperial?  Matt Wolf of the New York Times gave it a nice review.  Have any of you heard the score? Its very melodic and very good.  Much better than anything going on at the Shubert, and much more tuneful than Kimberly Akimbo. Im rooting for this show, but I also think you guys are underestimating it.  It has broad appeal for families, women, musical theatre people because its ALW, and others.  I would be surprised if it got bad reviews because NY critics love andrew lloyd webber as well.

Updated On: 1/17/23 at 10:14 AM

TaffyDavenport Profile Photo
TaffyDavenport
#15Bad Cinderella needs to go to the Winter Garden
Posted: 1/17/23 at 10:22am

It's not selling "extremely well" or "pretty well." I'm looking forward to it, but sales are dismal.

Broadway Flash
#16Bad Cinderella needs to go to the Winter Garden
Posted: 1/17/23 at 10:29am

selling better than some of these other shows

Dylan Smith4
#17Bad Cinderella needs to go to the Winter Garden
Posted: 1/17/23 at 10:31am

Broadway Flash said: "This is definitely not a flop. The New York Times gave it a nice review in London, the music is fantastic, and they're making changes to make it even better."

You really need to get your facts straight. Yes, some of the music is great, I will give you that. However, the story needs MAJOR work! I think if ALW had a better creative team and was not so controlling over every aspect of the show, it could have been a hit in London. Sadly, that did not happen. Hopefully, he made some major changes, but I am not getting my hopes up for that. He just needs to retire. 

The idea is to work and to experiment. Some things will be creatively successful, some things will succeed at the box office, and some things will only - which is the biggest only - teach you things that see the future. And they're probably as valuable as any of your successes. -Harold Prince

Dylan Smith4
#18Bad Cinderella needs to go to the Winter Garden
Posted: 1/17/23 at 10:33am

Broadway Flash said: "selling better than some of these other shows"

LOL! Kimberly Akimbo and Sweeney Todd are selling way better than this show!

Broadway Flash
#19Bad Cinderella needs to go to the Winter Garden
Posted: 1/17/23 at 10:36am

some like it hot? shucked? new york new york??

Also, lets remember, it didnt close in London because of poor ticket sales.  It was doing well in London and Webber pulled the show to bring it to Broadway, and later bring the revamped version back to London later on.  Get your facts straight people.

Dylan Smith4
#20Bad Cinderella needs to go to the Winter Garden
Posted: 1/17/23 at 10:39am

Just stop! You are just embarrassing yourself now. I get it, you are happy to see this show come to broadway, but this is by no means the next big hit. 

Broadway Flash
#21Bad Cinderella needs to go to the Winter Garden
Posted: 1/17/23 at 10:44am

You're clueless

bholtzinger544
#22Bad Cinderella needs to go to the Winter Garden
Posted: 1/17/23 at 10:55am

Bad Cinderella is not selling well at all, it only appears to be because a large section of the center orchestra is not on sale for any performances.  Most performances have over 1,000 tickets left yet and Bad Cinderella opens next month, Back to the Future has some time yet to build up sales. Back to the Future also requires a lot of space due to how technical the show is. Bad Cinderella got good reviews from some papers because it was the first show to open in the West End in 2 years. The score is weak, the lyrics are derivative, and the plotline is awful. This show will close before the end of summer at a loss and be a bigger flop than it was on the West End. 

BroadwayRox3588 Profile Photo
BroadwayRox3588
#23Bad Cinderella needs to go to the Winter Garden
Posted: 1/17/23 at 10:57am

So my post was deleted...why, now? I'm genuinely wondering. It was a joke, and not even a harmful or mean-spirited one.

Anyway, yeah, this isn't "Broadway's next big hit," and even if it were, why would that automatically mean it should play the Winter Garden? Is that the only theatre big hits are allowed to play? I don't understand the logic.

There. The above paragraph is perfectly on-topic, and not harmful or in violation of any rules. I hope this pleases our Dear Mods enough to be allowed to stay up. *bows down*

Updated On: 1/17/23 at 10:57 AM

Alex M Profile Photo
Alex M
#24Bad Cinderella needs to go to the Winter Garden
Posted: 1/17/23 at 10:59am

Y'all are either really dense or have fun debating with an obvious troll LOL

Broadway Flash
#25Bad Cinderella needs to go to the Winter Garden
Posted: 1/17/23 at 11:26am

I'm not a troll, I'm telling you whats going to happen.  Bad Cinderella will get good reviews, critics pick, be nominated for a bunch of Tony Awards, and sell lots of tickets.  It will have a nice long run.