News on your favorite shows, specials & more!

Profile for d5johnston

d5johnston Profile Photo
Member Name: d5johnston
Contact User: You must be logged in to contact BWW members.
Profile: Art works.

Most Recent Message Board Posts:

View Off Topic Posts

South Pacific Student Rush  Aug 11 2010, 11:01:33 PM
Got student rush Tuesday, around 5:20 pm. They still had tickets after me as well, but eventually appeared to have sold out.
A LITTLE NIGHT MUSIC'S Reopening Tonight  Aug 11 2010, 11:04:16 AM
Actually, Bergman's film was loosely based on "Midsummer." He's right.
Kelli's Return to South Pacific  Aug 11 2010, 11:00:45 AM
I saw the performance last night. I'm still in rapture (it was my first time seeing this production--this work of art).

Kelli was great--there might have been a couple moments here and there where a tiny bit of rust had to be knocked off, but barely. I was struck by not only how beautifully she sang the score, but by what a damn fine actress she is. She is entirely honest to the character and the part. There is no showboating. She just gives herself over to the text. Watching her

re: Who influenced David Mamet  Aug 16 2009, 09:46:46 AM
While Odetts was a big influence, the common assumption is that the greats of "the Method" were as well. In an interview in the 70's Mamet made some quote about writing for method actors, but he has since gone on to deplore that kind of methodology. Look to the actors like Bill Macy who helped him develop the technique he teaches at the Atlantic. Those early actors he worked with very much helped him develop his voice.

I recently directed "Jolly" from his "Old Neighborhood" trilogy a

re: My short review of ALL MY SONS  Sep 25 2008, 12:59:33 PM
Whoa whoa whoa, back off my friends.

This young man has a different outlook at life and theatre than you do, but it is a commonly held belief.

Let us welcome him to theatre, especially a play. Let us discuss cultural trends that lead the average person to think theatre isn't manly.

Let's not attack this young man. Let's be grown-ups and have true conversation. Attacking this young man via message board is ineffective.

re: Will Lansbury return to the stage?  Aug 14 2008, 04:24:31 PM
What about throwing Lansbury into the planned UK revival with Emma Thompson?
re: Thoughts on NANETTE  May 11 2008, 02:24:02 AM
I could be mistaken, but I believe Rosie said on her blog that there is a chance of a transfer and that, if it did, she'd be along for the ride.
re: Top Twenty plays written in the past 5 years (that aren't overdone)  Mar 14 2008, 10:24:01 AM
Man from Nebraska by Tracy Letts
356 Play/365 Days by Suzan Lori Parks
Rabbit Hole by David Lindsay Abaire
Well by Lisa Kron
The Clean House and Other Plays by Sarah Ruhl
The Arabian Nights by Mary Zimmerman

re: Terrance McNally/Tony Kushner: Short plays?  Mar 12 2008, 01:58:46 AM
McNally has a wonderful short play called "Andre's Mother." It's absolutely beautiful.

I directed a production of it last December.

re: In The Heights, Phantom, or August?  Mar 4 2008, 03:02:17 PM
August: Osage County, hands down!
re: Is Troika's Evita Tour worth seeing?  Feb 2 2008, 10:05:25 PM
After seeing this production, a friend of mine referred to it as "Thoroughly Modern Evita." That was an accurate assertion.

As far as the Hal Prince staging, it was worth seeing as a reminder of how briliant it once was. You can see the creativity behind it, but it has grown stale with time.

I had to present on the Deadly Theatre portrayed in Peter Brook's book THE EMPTY SPACE a day after seeing this show and it proved to be a great example.

re: Hal Prince Suffers Minor Stroke  Feb 1 2008, 11:21:22 AM
Best wishes to Hal and his family for a speedy recovery!

I'm sure he will be in many prayers.

re: Best Performance..No Tony  Oct 25 2007, 08:45:07 PM
Dustin Hoffman...Death of a Salesman
re: LuPone to Play MAMA ROSE AT CITY CENTER  Mar 19 2007, 02:00:36 AM
Laurents is directing LuPone in GYPSY.

Theatrical hell has just frozen over.

SPRING AWAKENING on THE VIEW....right now!!!!  Feb 22 2007, 11:14:46 AM
If anyone is on the board right now, be sure to check out the View on ABC. Spring Awakening will be appearing this hour.

Along with Jim Carrey and everyone's favorite Broadway fan Rosie O'Donnell!

Should be good stuff.

re: LA: Virginia Woolf & City of Mahagonny  Feb 11 2007, 04:42:11 AM
Just behcause thenewmoon hasn't been posting on this website long, doesn't mean that the opinions of that poster lack validity.
re: Funny Male/Female Duets  Oct 17 2006, 09:08:37 PM
"you must meet my wife" from sondheim's A LITTLE NIGHT MUSIC is one of the funniest male/female duets around!
re: The Irving Berlin Appreciation Thread  Sep 21 2006, 12:09:49 AM
"What'll I Do?" is such a beautiful song. I discovered it just recently when Meryl Streep and Garrison Keillor sang it on the Great Performances Prairie Home Companion and I fell in love. That song just haunted me.
re: The Offical Wicked Is Rediculous Thread!  Jun 20 2006, 01:03:28 AM
Alright, it's time to come clean.

I know StageRage.

Sure, he may have difficulties with the English language and he may have personally given me the Wicked rant far more times than I can remember, without actually seeing the show mind you, but, when all is said and done, he is a decent human being who loves the theatre community.

A decent human being who will probably kill me for telling you all that he's never seen the show.

He also did start this thread just

re: Pearl Bailey HELLO, DOLLY! recording  Jun 9 2006, 12:15:48 AM
Hello, Dolly! and Before the Parade Passes By (both performed by Bailey) can be found on the new Deluxe Edition Original Broadway Cast Recording of Hello, Dolly!

-d5johnston

You must log in to view off-topic posts.

Videos

TICKET CENTRAL

Recommended For You