News on your favorite shows, specials & more!

Profile for guitarperson

Member Name: guitarperson
Contact User: You must be logged in to contact BWW members.

Most Recent Message Board Posts:

View Off Topic Posts

'CATS: The Jellicle Ball' at PAC reviews
 Jun 15 2024, 03:53:23 PM

I saw this last night. May write a more in-depth review later but for now just want to say it was one of the most thrilling and joyous nights of theater I’ve experienced in a long time. Cats has never made this much sense.  Numbers that usually lag like “Bustopher Jones” have become thrilling.   I was expecting the dancing to be incredible (though it surpassed expectations) and the high level of singing is what really surprised me. If I could I would see it at

HELL'S KITCHEN Reviews
 May 4 2024, 07:48:05 PM

Jade Milan went on as Ali during today's matinee.  It was my second time seeing the show and was looking forward to seeing Maleah Joi Moon again, but Jane Milan was honestly incredible--she had her own take on the character and vocals were top notch.  It was her first time covering the role on Broadway, so I suspect she will only get better.  I enjoyed the show just as much the second time--Maleah is a star for sure, but never underestimate an understudy.

JRB's THE CONNECTOR at MCC will star Scott Bakula, Jessica Molaskey, Ben Levi Ross, & more
 Feb 10 2024, 01:20:53 PM

Saw this last night and thought it was fantastic--don't understand the mixed reviews!   Certainly my favorite score I've heard in a long time.  Highly recommend going to see it.

SWEENEY TODD Revival announces further casting
 Mar 15 2023, 07:53:44 PM

ljay889 said: 

While I don’t agree with your overall assessment, yes, the tempo of act 2 “Johanna” is indeed too fast. It is similar to the OBCR tempo which was likely sped up for time. The song has more “longing” in the tempo heard in the movie, Philharmonic, Doyle’s etc which I assume is the tempo as written."

Yes, and "A Little Priest" too slow.  It's missing the bounce and "groov

SWEENEY TODD Revival announces further casting
 Mar 15 2023, 05:32:07 PM

I saw the show last night

Having seen every production of Sweeney that's been presented in NYC in my lifetime (NY City Opera, Doyle Revival, Philharmonic Concert, Barrow St), I have to say unfortunately that this was my least favorite.  I have a lot to say but the short of it is that everything sort of fell flat.  The stakes aren't high--there's no urgency or menace to Groban's portrayal.  I love hearing the full orchestration but found Lacamoire's mu

CATS Film Adaptation Thread
 Mar 2 2020, 09:44:19 AM

There's a pretty good story about Cats 2019 on This American Life this week--it's the last 13 minutes or so of the new episode called "Everyone's a Critic"  I have a feeling the people on here who are like me and enjoyed the movie more than everyone else will appreciate!

CATS Film Adaptation Thread
 Dec 20 2019, 06:43:53 PM

I thought it was very enjoyable!  Absolutely bonkers, but so is the stage show.  A lot of the negative reviewers seemingly just didn't know what they were in for.  I think if you can get past the CGI  (I could--clearly some can't), it's pretty much the same as the show, which also has numerous flaws and requires a huge suspension of disbelief/willingness to subscribe to a non-existent plot.  Could it have been better?  Sure--for one they could ha

Pacific Overtures
 Mar 7 2017, 08:24:56 AM

Hmmm, I'm definitely curious to see Doyle's interpretation and think the show could work great with women cast in some lead roles. Like "Sweeney", I think the source material in Pacific Overtures is so strong that it could be presented any number of different ways with success. I'm more concerned about the "100 minutes, no intermission" running time and hope they don't cut out any major songs (though of course there are parts of the orig

Pacific Overtures
 Mar 4 2017, 07:20:20 PM

Anyone have any more info on casting besides Takei?  I'm sort of surprised they haven't announced more given that tickets go on sale Monday and they should be in rehearsals already. 

re: Sweeney Todd - Final Show - Who is going??
 Aug 7 2006, 09:46:53 PM
I'll be going. Just bought a $36 seat. I can't wait.
re: Wedding Singer Review 8/6 Girl w/ Golden Hair performs!
 Aug 7 2006, 08:19:09 PM
I'm interested in seeing the show with Tina Maddigan. What time do they usually put up the board that says if understudies are going on?
re: Celebrities that you've seen other than at a show or at the stage door
 Jul 22 2006, 09:53:18 PM

re: DRS Ranges
 Jul 11 2006, 09:57:06 PM
It was Joe Cassidy who didn't hit the note when I saw it, but I'm sure his voice was just tired that day or something. It was during the time when Norbert was out a lot due to vocal issues so I'm sure Joe Cassidy had been on a lot that week. After all nobody can hit a high Bb ALL the time.
re: DRS Ranges
 Jul 11 2006, 08:45:02 PM
Freddy sings a Bb at the end of "Dirty Rotten Number" but I saw one of Norbert's understudies and he didn't hit it so it might be optional.
re: What current shows have bad seats in first few rows?
 Apr 24 2006, 10:48:27 PM
Has anyone been in the first few rows at Drowsy Chaperone?

Any neck problems or bad sightlines?

I was in the front row orchestra right on Saturday and I could see just fine. I didn't have a sore neck and didn't miss any of the action onstage.

re: Most Beautiful Score you have ever heard
 Apr 10 2006, 10:35:08 PM
Pacific Overtures
re: Which Pacific Overture Recording should I buy?
 Feb 1 2006, 09:34:40 PM
I prefer the original recording but perhaps that is just because I was so accustomed to it before the new one came out. One advantage of the older recording is fuller orchestrations. The one song of the new recording that I think is definately inferior is "Please Hello." I do, however, enjoy B.D. Wong's performance quite a bit.
re: TOMMY the musical
 Jan 14 2006, 01:16:12 PM
guitargeek0624 Wrote: "A small theater in the town where I vacation (Beach Haven in Long Beach Island, New Jersey) put on Tommy over the summer. I loved it. It was very well done for a small theater company, and the music was incredible. The next day, I picked up the album by the Who and was entralled, since I love classic rock. It's not my favorite show, but I like it."

I was the guitarist for this production. I'm glad you enjoyed the mus

You must log in to view off-topic posts.

Videos

TICKET CENTRAL

Recommended For You