News on your favorite shows, specials & more!

Profile for Kevinoes

Kevinoes Profile Photo
Member Name: Kevinoes
Contact User: You must be logged in to contact BWW members.

Most Recent Message Board Posts:

View Off Topic Posts

Ari'el Strachel Tony Win Clip?  Sep 2 2020, 12:32:57 PM

Thank you! And thanks for the correction/

Ari'el Stachel Tony Win Clip?  Sep 1 2020, 03:36:41 PM

It's been a while since I posted, but does anyone have a full clip of Ari'el Strachel's Tony acceptance speech for "The Band's Visit" in 2018? I want to use it for a project I am working on but cannot find it anywhere, even on YouTube.  There is a partial clip in an AP piece, but am looking for the full thing.  Any help is wonderful.

PS. I did watch live on TV and remember how moving it was.

Mary Rodgers Guettel: A Memoir  Feb 26 2016, 03:44:08 PM

I am waiting to get my hands on this.  I feel silly asking, since this is literally the only officical reference to the  finished book and its release.  Does anyone possibly have an inside source that may indicate when this could come out this year?

http://cannellagency.com/portfolio/mary-rodgers-guettel-a-memoir/

Weird Cast Recording Question  Jan 26 2016, 03:28:41 PM

Was looking at the "Rent" 20th Anniversary Tour news and got to thinking about the OBC cast album, remembering how they had listed the swings (Simone, David Driver, Yasmin Alers, etc.) in the cast list... As, I guess, many do.  But I wondered something... Something I've never really thought of before.

Do swings ever get a chance in any known cast recording to fill out vocals in ensemble or group numbers? Or do they maintain what the original cast "sound

Milton 'Doc' Bender  Sep 20 2015, 06:08:42 PM

I've been doing a metric tonne of research, read a number of Larry Hart and Richard Rodgers biographies and continue to be baffled by the role Doc Bender plays in the whole affair.  Does anyone (in any long chance in hell) have any other reference of his life or what happened to him.  Even so much as a photograph?

Thoughts on Changing the Lyrics?  Jul 10 2015, 12:36:04 AM

I am looking at rep to perform at an upcoming show and am quite taken by "Little Girl Blue" particularly the version by Nina Simone.  What are people's thoughts on changing the lyric and it becoming "Little Boy Blue"? There are so many standards that are interchangeable simply by flipping 'him' to 'her' but as far as I know, no one has done it with this one.  It's so recognized as a female standard I guess.  But this is 2015, and I'm thinking of doing it.  Though

Actors Breaking Character  May 27 2015, 10:45:55 AM
Idina, even in her "Rent" days would break character, but only when getting giggly. I remember reading an OLD story about Fredi Walker's head-mic blowing during the show, and when that happens, the sound guy would hand them a hand-mic. Gosh, I forgot about that. So she carried through during act 2, Maureen and Joanne make up in "Goodbye Love", and on their way off Idina says, "What is thing anyway?" which got a HUGE laugh from the audience. It's the kind of performer she's always been. She
Why'd Betty Buckley leave NY?  Feb 16 2015, 11:49:44 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aT1X9p6zhoQ
Willemijn's Speaking Voice  Feb 8 2015, 12:21:13 PM
Didn't Lea Salonga have a slight English accent when she was auditioning and working on "Miss Saigon" and by the time she was telecast winning her Tony in 1991, she had an American accent? I notice that when she goes into English on Philippine TV, her accent shifts.

A teacher of mine grew up in Liverpool, went to the Royal Ballet School where they have elocution classes to try and "middle-class" the accent, then at 17-18, moved to Canada to work in musical theatre. Her accent is the

When is it appropriate to start applauding for a song?  Jan 26 2015, 05:13:28 PM
Comparing etiquette between classical symphony audiences and Broadway audiences? Why would you bother?

In the classical world -- symphonies, opera -- I find the audiences are a bit more, for want of a better word, precious about certain pieces. With that music (and the actual concert format), there is a more reverence with music by Puccini or Mozart (Wagner people are in a whole other class) that they are literally paying attention to every phrasing of the orchestra and the performer. There are many exceptions to performers who go above and beyond in performance, and I am sure I could be shot for saying this, but in the classical arena, technique and style is revered over perhaps one's "acting". People wait till the very end to applaud for famous arias. To be fair to Broadway audiences, I don't think even THEY would be inclined to start applauding before Tosca finishes the end of "Visi D'arte".

I do get annoyed when people will shout out in the middle of performances, unless it is a momentous moment in the show that everyone is waiting for like a key change or a set change or some moment the audience is anticipating -- Elphaba's flight comes to mind. But the people annoyed when audiences begin applauding before the final downbeat of a songt? Ridiculous. Some audiences are just compelled by the moment. This is nothing new. It's noted more now perhaps with audiences lacking certain etiquette. But it happened with Al Jolsen, it happened with George Cohan... And for your pleasure: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tqf55X5PEh0

"Bewitched" Lyrics  Jan 26 2015, 03:16:59 PM
I have heard many, many versions of "Bewitched" and am curious about the lyric changes/alterations that have happened over the years.

In the original production in 1940, there were a number of lines by Hart that prevented the song getting recorded. "Couldn't sleep and wouldn't sleep, until I could sleep where I shouldn't sleep" comes to mind.

Also, from the 1952 Revival Recording, she sings "If your dreamboat is leaking, and your pal ain't your pal, geometrically speaking, just keep him vertical." In a recording by Ella Fitzgerald (It's so damn good: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1fzZ4l2H5-w) she sings something vaguely similar but obviously different in idea: "When he talks he is seeking words to get off his chest. Horizontally speaking, he's at his very best."

Another comes to mind. "Lost my heart but what of it. He is cold, I agree. He can laugh and I love it, although the laugh's on me." But in the original recording (done by the 1950 studio cast) it's "Lost my heart but what of it. My mistake, I agree. He's a laugh but I love it, because the laugh's on me."

I heard they "sanitized" many of the lyrics for the film version of "Pal Joey" with Frank Sinatra. So is it possible the lyrics are not fully Harts, or are they just used from various drafts or versions he wrote for the song? I know he would commonly write several additional verses for songs like Cole Porter.

See?  Jan 19 2015, 11:13:36 PM
It's a subject I'm fascinated by. The treatment of Larry's estate... How it affected Theodore and Dorothy's relationship with Richard Rodgers, even if it was just through Larry. And how did Larry II and Mary Rodgers touch base?

If it's still aiming to published, in light of her death last summer, I'd be most curious to hear Mary Rodgers thoughts on the whole subject in her memoirs.

Little moments on cast albums that you love  Jan 8 2015, 04:54:10 PM
- When the strings come in after the guitar vamp in "Say It Somehow" from Light in The Piazza.
- The last chorus of "You Can't Stop The Beat" with all those voices together!
- Idina when she starts singing "Over The Moon" ('I am forbidden...') I remember where I was, what I felt the first time I heard that voice.
- All of Whitney Bashor in "Another Life" from Bridges of Madison. Just pure.
- 1969 Concept Album of JSC: Overture: the beginning of the '39 Lashes section' always giv

See?  Jan 6 2015, 10:59:40 PM
Thanks Liza!
Larry Hart (Lorenz Hart's nephew)  Jan 6 2015, 10:55:21 PM
PalJoey, I read some very scant obituary that was clearly not the right Larry Hart. It was not my attempt to be disrespectful.

I was looking around to find a way to change the subject line, which I didn't know how. Fortunately, someone online managed to figure it out.

So sorry to anyone I offended. Didn't mean any (I repeat ANY) disrespect.

Larry Hart (Lorenz Hart's nephew)  Jan 6 2015, 12:12:38 AM
Does anyone have info, insight, anecdotes, material, or any reference of Larry Hart (1944-2003) who was so to Teddy and Dorothy Hart, and Larry Hart, the great late lyricist's nephew?

What became of him? What did he do, in light of being the Hart family ultimately being left out of the Rodgers & Hart estate when Rodgers took ownership of everything?

The only reference I have is a NY Post article where he dispels "myths" about his uncle's last days: http://nypost.com/2001/02/28/hart-rending-tale-kin-reveals-truth-behind-lyricists-tragic-final-days/

Any help or insight would be much appreciated.

Age Appropriate Kurt Weill songs  Aug 8 2014, 06:56:32 AM
Hi, Looking to find some age appropriate Kurt Weill material. Doesn't matter who his lyricist was -- though it doesn't hurt if the piece is accessible for an audition. I am in my twenties as much as I love songs like "Speak Low" and "September Song" they seem to be more convincing for someone older. Thoughts?
Rights to Idina's "It Only Hurts When I Breathe"  Jul 23 2014, 11:14:11 PM
Hey all,

I am looking to record an EP for myself and a song I am considering recording is an obscure Idina song "It Only Hurts When I Breathe" which she performed at Joe's Pub and Ars Nova in 2001/2002 pre-Wicked days. Does anyone know who I should contact or maybe a rep of hers? Not sure where to direct this. Any help?

(Questionable) Wicked/Idina News/Gossip  Apr 27 2014, 08:53:12 PM
I'm well aware this is a gossip news item and frankly the first I've heard of such a development. Then again, I haven't really been paying attention.

Tread carefully, tweens.

http://www.classicalite.com/articles/7774/20140427/frozen-idina-menzel-taye-diggs-divorce-news-go-let-it-dating.htm

AUGUST: OSAGE COUNTY Film Reviews  Sep 10 2013, 09:48:25 PM
I saw the film at a screening today. Really enjoyed it. I am very familiar with the play and if you know the play, you will be in very familiar territory. It has much of the tone it had on stage and never feels dumbed down or like a TV show or like a Julia Roberts movie.

Too many thoughts but I'll just spew a few...

**SPOILERS**

- Violet wears a wig. Interesting, given the comments from people after set photos and the trailer surfaced where people said she looked l

You must log in to view off-topic posts.

Videos

TICKET CENTRAL

Recommended For You