News on your favorite shows, specials & more!

Profile for wyou17

wyou17 Profile Photo
Member Name: wyou17
Contact User: You must be logged in to contact BWW members.

Most Recent Message Board Posts:

View Off Topic Posts

Can someone give me some Everyday Rapture song context Please?
 Jul 11 2010, 10:53:40 AM
Agreed. I think the recording does the show no favors in documenting what was so wonderful about it and works only if you already know the show well. What would the recording of "Elaine Stitch at Liberty" be with all the dialogue removed? That's a show that got it right: recorded live, full of dialogue and stories even if a few bits were cut for time on the CD. More than enough time on Sherie's CD to give us a great idea of the show with some stories and connective dialogue, especially in a
Can someone give me some Everyday Rapture song context Please?
 Jul 11 2010, 03:08:52 AM
Very specifically, with spoilers ahead:

Lights go down as the band and the Mennonettes (Sherie's back-up singers) start the show with The Other Side Of This Life, used as an overture. Sherie marches onstage singing Got A Thing On My Mind, explaining advice she was given about always carrying two pieces of paper with you: one that says "The world was created for me," and another with "I am a speck of dust," written on it. This sets up what will be the main theme of the show, her feelin

re: Cry Baby Reviews
 Apr 26 2008, 11:50:33 AM
Spencer Liff really should have been cast as the lead in this show. People stare at him for the entire show. That's charisma. Which James Snyder does NOT have.
re: London Recordings You Prefer to the Broadway Version
 Nov 27 2007, 09:04:51 PM
The London Cast Recordings of The Secret Garden, City of Angels, and Into the Woods are big favorites of mine, but none of them surpass the Original Broadway Recordings. The Secret Garden is so revised that I look at it as a different show. Have to have both. City of Angels is more complete, but I prefer the Broadway cast across the board (I am particularly not fond of the London Bobbi) As for Into the Woods, I love the character dialects, love the different tempos taken, and love Our Little
re: A Cast Recording Game
 Jun 24 2007, 07:38:49 PM
Being able to listen to Lucy & Jessie, Uptown/Downtown, and Ah, But Underneath on one CD, so that you can choose your own Phyllis Loveland segment. (I usually prefer Ah, But Underneath)

The Secret Garden OBC

re: Les Miserables Japanese Cast Recording
 Jun 8 2007, 01:13:20 AM
A friend just loaned me a copy of the Violet cast. Anyone more familiar with the foreign language recordings (Lizzie?) care to share their thoughts/opinions? How does it rate? I've never heard any of the other Japanese casts, so I don't know how it compares.
re: Favorite version of 'The Miller's Son'
 Jun 7 2007, 08:25:56 PM
That concert is pretty hit or miss. Not required listening by any means, but worth it for a few moments and oddities. The cast of Forever Plaid doing an arrangement of the Ballad of Sweeney Todd is...interesting. As is The Tonics new arrangement for More. Those interested in gender-bending song interpretations should note Billy Porter's Not A Day Goes By/What Can You Lose?, David Cassidy's Sooner or Later, and the Cassidy brothers (David, Patrick, and Shaun) doing You Could Drive A Person Cr
re: Favorite version of 'The Miller's Son'
 Jun 7 2007, 08:05:36 PM
The only version I have that you didn't mention is Tia Riebling, from the 1997 Sondheim: A Celebration concert that featured the Cassidy brothers (see amazon link for complete track list)

I think I, too, have a soft spot for the OBC, though I am certainly also a fan of Langton's version from the OLC. I do also appreciate Baldwin's Wall to Wall performance for the clarity and simplicity.

Haven't heard Friedman's (never got around to getting that recording) but I can see where s

re: Bare A Pop Opera cd
 May 7 2007, 12:06:42 PM
"A friend of mine actually has a few hundred copies of the original concept recording of BARE. I have a copy myself. I think I recall it having more than 11 tracks."

I'm not sure if you and are are thinking of the same thing, but I also have the first set of demos they put together. They include:

Warning
Epiphany
Diva
No Voice
All Grown Up
Actor (Role of a Lifetime)
Just A Girl
Second Thoughts
Cut From The Same Cloth
Faithful Servant
A Q

re: Bare A Pop Opera cd
 May 6 2007, 10:07:43 PM
The show is mostly sung-through, so a lot of music is missing from the sampler (nice as it is)

Act One

Epiphany
* You & I
* Role of a Lifetime
Auditions
Love, Dad
Wonderland
* A Quiet Night at Home
Best Kept Secret
Confession
* Portrait of a Girl
Birthday, Bitch!
One Kiss
* Are You There?
* 911! Emergency!
Reputation Stain'd
Ever After
Spring

re: Finally! I got my Light in the Piazza Script!
 May 4 2007, 02:02:56 AM
I just got mine, too. I had forgoten I even ordered it!

I read through it quickly for the translations (included parenthetically next to the lines written in Italian) Certainly nice to have.

re: ...does this freak anyone else out? (Into the Woods)
 Apr 19 2007, 04:17:44 PM
I adore the OBC, and fell in love with theater through the PBS broadcast. When I realized there was a song from my favorite show that I had never heard (Our Little World) I all but demanded my mother buy the OLCR for me. And I love it, too.

I guess I'm someone who, while obviously very attached to the OBC, really appreciates a different take on material. I have the OBC, OLC, PBS performance, and revival cast on my iPod. ALL get played regularly for different reasons. I love Imelda

re: It's My Body and My Body's Nobodys Business But My Own
 Apr 17 2007, 01:33:29 AM
I'm with Foster. I never saw the show, never have listened to the cast recording, but on occassion will find myself singing, "It's my body, and my business..." solely based on the song getting stuck in my head from that year's Tony performance.

And Brody, thanks for the clip! The mugshots are priceless. I wish all shows recorded such elaborate promos. Debra Munks's Everybody's Girl is really shot wonderfully as well. You've been posting some fantastic videos lately! Thanks, and ke

re: So...who has actually been able to get a ticket to GYPSY?
 Apr 9 2007, 12:50:17 PM
Mid Mezz Center, Row E for July 20th. First time at City Center, and first ticket bought without a discount in a long time as well.
re: McNally Hamlet Gay article from LA Times in 96
 Mar 15 2007, 04:20:54 PM
This was discussed brienfly on All That Chat a few days ago, and someone posted an excerpt from the article. I would link to the post, but old posts fall off of that board after awhile:

"The greatest gay character ever written is Hamlet.... He is the role model for any playwright wishing to depict a gay man.

One reason Hamlet is not generally understood to be a gay character is that he keeps his clothes on....

Another reason the Prince of Denmark is not thought to be

re: Poppins Deleted Song (From Movie)
 Jan 31 2007, 10:06:17 PM
Parts of the melody to the deleted "Chimpanzoo" song were later recycled and became the "Etiquette" song in the 1992 animated feature Little Nemo - Adventures In Slumberland (which features a number of new songs from the Sherman Brothers)
re: Online Cast Recordings
 Jan 31 2007, 12:54:16 AM
Emily Skinner
re: Who sings On the Steps of the Palace the best?
 Aug 18 2006, 02:03:49 PM
I know what you mean, FoscasBohemianDream. Seeing Crosby's Sally recreated at Encores would have been a treat, with no slight to Clark. Too bad that at this point, another Follies recording is so unlikely, and I would give anything to hear that "Too Many Mornings"...and her "In Buddy's Eyes"...and her "Losing My Mind"...::sigh::

When is the last time she was even in New York? Kim Crosby, come back! At least a solo CD...

re: Who sings On the Steps of the Palace the best?
 Aug 18 2006, 01:46:52 PM
"Unfortunately, I don't think Crosby has done any other recorded work after Into the Woods, she decided to take care of her family before we could get more of her talent. I did see her in Guys & Dolls during her stint as Sarah Brown and she was pretty good, and her Sally in the recent Follies version just blew me away (she should've reprised the role for the Encores! production)."

Such a shame she hasn't recorded more. She's delightful. I really regret not making the trip to see her i

You must log in to view off-topic posts.

Videos

TICKET CENTRAL

Recommended For You