News on your favorite shows, specials & more!

Profile for imafantu

imafantu Profile Photo
Member Name: imafantu
Contact User: You must be logged in to contact BWW members.

Most Recent Message Board Posts:

View Off Topic Posts

re: Tony Awards Orchestra question
 Jan 27 2007, 09:22:19 AM
Dont know about all of the other shows, but TCP had a matinee show on tony day...it was mostly u/s but they had one....

and I thought for last year's show, the orchestra was put into a separate room and mic'd in... there were some complaints about not having these talented musicians be able to fully participate and be present in the festivities...but I could be wrong.

re: Fantasia Barrino at COLOR PURPLE tonight...
 Jan 24 2007, 12:53:22 PM
I hope you are not trying to make this into a diana, fantasia competition...truth is Diana is NOT doing as well as fantasia in terms of marketing and sales. Her album did not even break the 100,000 sales mark. fantasia has won several awards, has sold albums (her second album is doing quite well)and has inked book and television deals appearing several times on letterman, kimmel, leno, ellen and the view. So on broadway Diana might have Fantasia hemmed up, but in terms of overall financial succe
re: Jennifer Holliday strikes again
 Dec 13 2006, 12:02:47 PM
definitely, i think that ship has sailed for her...she would be in a different place if she could accept that
re: DREAMGIRLS: Holliday and Ralph Interviews
 Dec 13 2006, 11:49:55 AM
dbl post

Dec 13 2006, 11:49:49 AM
I agree with your points...what i disagree with are the comments that try to DEFINE why she is doing all of these things...nobody has access to the inside of what happens...
you are absolutely right- media and hollywood is no therapy to anybody, but you as a person on this forum have clearly been able to express that, so you come across as someone who has everything they need to cope with disappointment, and rejection in healthy ways...
this woman has a clear history of self destruction

Dec 13 2006, 11:37:13 AM
right...that was exactly my point- it's unfair of me, but not of you? I am just as wrong as you are....but for clarity, i thought i was responding to another post where you said something to the effect "we all have illnesses..." if that wasn't you then i apologize...if it was you, then I made my point. Nobody should make a bottom line judgement about others- even when that person is running their mouth all over the media

Edit:
as a matter of fact...you did, check page four- whe

Dec 13 2006, 11:33:31 AM
now that i totally agree with...i just think that when people have been are clinically depressed, they aren't always able to see from the outside that their actions are destructive, until they have come out of it...having dealt with both people who are depressed because of a situation (they usually can at some point take themselves in hand and get off the trainwreck), and those who are diagnosed as clinically depressed (they live in a state of depression interrupted by periods of "regular" behav
 Dec 13 2006, 11:20:36 AM
that's funny, cuz you so callously and crassly throw out a "fix- it"...i spoke from my experience...what are you telling me to get a grip on? there are lots of people who are clinically depressed...but they also don't have the double jeopardy of being a known face, who is assumed to be wealthy, and being broke. And plenty of stars act out in the press...you make it sound like she is the first person to be disgruntled in the press. and if you are so sure she can low cost and therapy- then make a
 Dec 13 2006, 10:55:44 AM
yeah. but attention does not translate to money or job offers...they used her voice in the trailer, and obviously whatever they paid her for (if they paid her) was nothing in comparison to the loads of publicity they garnered for using her voice....
Now, while I doubt that this next scenario happened, I have no doubts whatsoever that it has happened in other cases, and that hollywood is capable of it now: Let's pull some underhanded moves-like denying her right to sing the song while the mov

Dec 13 2006, 10:36:18 AM
Please everybody! give the woman a break, she suffers from a long history of clinical depression...she may just be going thru another period where she feels that she is obsolete. It's hard to long for love from so many areas(for her a marriage and stardom) and have them both "reject" you. Even if that is not the case, people who have no control over their chemical imbalances can easily miss the warning signs that they are sinking....I hope that she finds some peace soon.
Secondly, if sh

re: Elisabeth Withers from the Color Purple has the Blues??!!
 Dec 2 2006, 05:10:01 PM
I wish i had seen this sooner, I just posted a similar message!!! sorry for repeating, but im glad you put this up!

Elisabeth's New CD!
 Dec 2 2006, 04:59:05 PM
ok I may be the only person excited about this(i doubt it though)...but the wonderful vocal powerhouse that portrays Shug Avery in The Color Purple, Elisabeth Withers-Mendes, cd will be released on 1/30/2007! At last. The soundtrack didn't do her justice!

Simply put, even if you are not a fan of TCP, she has a beautiful voice...You also may not be a fan of specific genres, but this album has a wonderful variety of funk, r&b, dancehall and other types.
A biased opinion? i love the songs on the release! you can check it out on her my space site...there are 3 songs on there or you can link to her record (bluenote records) company and check out the others...my favorite songs- "heartstrings" "the world ain't ready" "sweat" and an amazing rendition of "wind beneath my wings"

It is also a pleasure to report that she is a very warm, kind, and gracious person. I'm looking forward to her career in theatre, as I have followed her other ventures for a while now. I'm glad TCP was the launch pad for an amazing and gorgeous talent and a genuinely nice person.

Shug Avery is comin to town!

http://www.bluenote.com/elisabeth
http://www.myspace.com/elisabethwithers

re: Color Purple Recoups in Exactly 1 Year
 Dec 2 2006, 04:38:04 PM
why do you say the book is so forgettable? are you comparing it to the steven spielberg interpretation?....because the story told/sang on broadway is actually more like Alice Walker's literary work than the film is. and if you have read the original work itself, you may be able to appreciate that the lyrics come from the book...just thought you might take in the whole picture, but you are certainly well within your rights to have a negative opinion of it. I'm glad you found parts to enjoy- and f
re: I saw Color Purple this Sunday.
 Oct 13 2006, 12:45:09 AM
I think that is part of the problem....you think that stuff was added based on the movie(or taken away). I would like to point out that the Book is both the source for the movie and the musical. your review sounds like you think that the book is the source of the film and the film is the source of the musical- not so. The musical actually tells the story more closely to it's literary parent. the songs are actually lyrics from the book (unlike the movie)and the characters are multilayered as they
re: THE COLOR PURPLE
 Sep 27 2006, 02:39:19 PM
Well i think you said it yourself...

"There are some great performances, beautiful sets and lighting, nice choreography, and a couple of good songs"...

Those ARE some of the things that comprise a good show for some people. No it wasn't flawless, but the only way to make it so would have been to have a TCP I and a TCP II. Unlike film, you can't zap through 50 years of history and always reflect a realistic passage of time. to do what they did in under 3 hours is good.
Yes

re: You Know You're A Color Purple Fan When...
 Aug 17 2006, 04:02:43 PM
you know you're a color purple fan when:

You see someone walking their dog and as you approach it you sing "get ready for the big dog!"

You walk in on your friends gabbin about how slow you are, and how you will be late to your own funeral and you wait til you hear them say your name so you can interrupt with "this who they talkin bout....and every word they say is true too!"

you find reasons to throw in lines like "you so pretty!....Men ain't pretty!..... You is!" or

re: How Difficult Is It To Balance A Broadway Show and Personal Life?
 Aug 7 2006, 03:07:41 AM
Felicia Fields- she didn't leave a young child. if you look at the post tony awards pictures (of TCP afterparty) you'll see the "young child" she left behind. I think she was or is going to be a senior in high school...so not so dependant on mom's hands on guidance anymore.

re: Appropriate theatre attire - dress code?
 Jul 3 2006, 12:38:07 PM
you set that thong to vibrate and I'm pretty sure you'll be the happiest audience member in attendance!!!

Just remember sudden outbursts(no matter WHAT the reason is) go against the rules of acceptable theatre behavior.

re: Most overwhelming audience reaction?
 Jul 3 2006, 12:20:55 PM
I was not present, but my cousin was....during one of the performances at The Color Purple. when the cast finished singing the a capella version of the title song (at curtain) the audience kept singing for another 15 minutes- they had to come back and join back in because people were singing and crying and not leaving!
re: Broadway Stars From Your Hometown?
 Jul 1 2006, 09:45:12 PM
Chicago

Felicia Fields.

I'm claiming Elisabeth Withers-Mendes, too! (she's from Joliet, a south suburb of Chi)

You must log in to view off-topic posts.

Videos

TICKET CENTRAL

Recommended For You