pixeltracker

How Difficult Is It To Balance A Broadway Show and Personal Life?

How Difficult Is It To Balance A Broadway Show and Personal Life?

Patti LuPone FANatic Profile Photo
Patti LuPone FANatic
#0How Difficult Is It To Balance A Broadway Show and Personal Life?
Posted: 8/5/06 at 9:07pm

Hello all. Every once in a while, I've read interviews where performers in Broadway shows comment that being in a show takes a huge strain in that person's personal life. At times, I've read it described that being in a show is like living the life of a monk. I'm curious about the schedule that a performer has to endure, while working on a show. I'm not talking about intimate or deeply personal matters, but how do performers balance the demands of working on Broadway and trying to have a semblance of a life off-stage. Just curious. Perhaps you out there who have been on Broadway shows or tours can share your personal perspective. Kindest regards, Roman in Austin, Texas

"Noel [Coward] and I were in Paris once. Adjoining rooms, of course. One night, I felt mischievous, so I knocked on Noel's door, and he asked, 'Who is it?' I lowered my voice and said 'Hotel detective. Have you got a gentleman in your room?' He answered, 'Just a minute, I'll ask him.'" (Beatrice Lillie)

Yankeefan007
#1re: How Difficult Is It To Balance A Broadway Show and Personal Life?
Posted: 8/5/06 at 9:19pm

What an interesting and ironic question. There is an article in the Sunday NY Times about that!

Here's the article, entitled "The Loneliness of the Long Theatrical Run"

http://www.nytimes.com/2006/08/06/theater/06mcge.html?_r=1&ref=theater&oref=slogin

You may have to create an account to read it, but they have a 14 day free trial. Updated On: 8/5/06 at 09:19 PM

queendork
#2re: How Difficult Is It To Balance A Broadway Show and Personal Life?
Posted: 8/5/06 at 10:42pm

Updated On: 8/28/06 at 10:42 PM

emo_geek Profile Photo
emo_geek
#3re: How Difficult Is It To Balance A Broadway Show and Personal Life?
Posted: 8/5/06 at 10:43pm

My friend told me when she was on Broadway she had no life. Not just being busy and all- she couldn't scream, laugh, stay up late...she said she had no life.

"I never had theatre producers run after me. Some people want to make more Broadway shows out of movies. But Elliot and I aren't going to do Batman: The Musical." - Julie Taymor 1999

Patti LuPone FANatic Profile Photo
Patti LuPone FANatic
#4re: How Difficult Is It To Balance A Broadway Show and Personal Life?
Posted: 8/6/06 at 10:38am

YankeeFan007. I did create an account with NYTimes.com. It was easy. As the FAQ said, they only charge you for premium sites/sections of the site. There is not a charge for the regular parts of NYTimes.com. I was intrigued in reading the articles on how a show causes major sacrifices in a performer's life. Aside from this article, there is also a segment on ACL itself, as well. from Roman in Austin, Texas...

"Noel [Coward] and I were in Paris once. Adjoining rooms, of course. One night, I felt mischievous, so I knocked on Noel's door, and he asked, 'Who is it?' I lowered my voice and said 'Hotel detective. Have you got a gentleman in your room?' He answered, 'Just a minute, I'll ask him.'" (Beatrice Lillie)

WickedGeek28 Profile Photo
WickedGeek28
#5re: How Difficult Is It To Balance A Broadway Show and Personal Life?
Posted: 8/6/06 at 10:56am

Thanks for posting that, YankeeFan. It was a nice read and a way for the public to understand what theatre professionals do each and every day.

"You never really understand a person until you consider things from his point of view - until you climb into his skin and walk around in it."
To Kill A Mockingbird

bwayondabrain
#6re: How Difficult Is It To Balance A Broadway Show and Personal Life?
Posted: 8/6/06 at 11:44am

when my family had dinner with Mylinda Hull, she said it was really hectic, and very little personal time. She and her husband are on vacation in South Carolina this week, and its their first vacation since Mylinda moved to New York five years ago. I mean, think about that! No vacation in like 5 years, just working! Wow... And she also said it is pretty hard because she has had to miss a lot of weddings, funerals, family get-togethers, and such because of how busy her life on Broadway is. And once she gets back from vacation, she has to get busy all over again, doing a CATCH ME IF YOU CAN reading, her husband co-directing COMPANY, and Mylinda is expecting a baby at the beginning of September. very crazy life on Broadway...I rather be watching people on stage, than actually be on the stage.
:P
yeah, that is one story about Broadway life from the awesome Mylinda Hull :)

Rathnait62 Profile Photo
Rathnait62
#7re: How Difficult Is It To Balance A Broadway Show and Personal Life?
Posted: 8/6/06 at 11:53am

Hmmm, I'm not a performer but I haven't taken a vacation since 1999. I've missed weddings, funerals, holiday celebrations (including a Christmas or two) because I couldn't afford to go, or couldn't take that much time off from a regular desk job.

It's real life, people, life is full of sacrifices.

Have I ever shown you my Shattered Dreams box? It's in my Disappointment Closet. - Marge Simpson
Updated On: 8/6/06 at 11:53 AM

bwayondabrain
#8re: How Difficult Is It To Balance A Broadway Show and Personal Life?
Posted: 8/6/06 at 11:58am

oh im sorry
it just sounded like a long time to me not to take a break for like 5 years
but im just a teen, please excuse me for not knowing too much about real life...
re: How Difficult Is It To Balance A Broadway Show and Personal Life?

Rathnait62 Profile Photo
Rathnait62
#9re: How Difficult Is It To Balance A Broadway Show and Personal Life?
Posted: 8/6/06 at 12:00pm

It is a long time - but I'm just pointing out that it is not exclusive to theater performers. Lots of people make lots of sacrifices every day. It's just the way of the world.

Have I ever shown you my Shattered Dreams box? It's in my Disappointment Closet. - Marge Simpson

MOXIEINTHECITY
#10re: How Difficult Is It To Balance A Broadway Show and Personal Life?
Posted: 8/6/06 at 12:02pm

Yeah, I had to admit that I wasn't all that sympathetic to any of the people interviewed. I know plenty of people who can't go away to the shore or The Hamptons on weekends and who don't own country houses. Granted, the schedules are hectic but they aren't impossible. Think of the interns and medical residents who work 24 hour shifts, policeman/firman who work graveyard shifts while their wives work 9-5.

I was a little shocked at the story about the actress that left her kid in Chicago under the care of her 20 year old son so she could move here to be in a show. I don't know, that's a personal choice, but I would never want my young child out of my sight in a city like Boston, NYC or Chicago.

aspiringactress Profile Photo
aspiringactress
#11re: How Difficult Is It To Balance A Broadway Show and Personal Life?
Posted: 8/6/06 at 12:14pm

One of my best friends parents are both actors. They've both done theatre, but have ended up doing mostly film. Recently her mom got the lead in a TV show, and she's been living in LA for at least half the year filming, while the rest of her family is in NYC. I think in families with 2 parents that are actors, there is a really important balance between the parents. While my friends mom has been in LA, her dad has taken very few projects and not any really big ones, and there is almost always a parent 'on duty'. They are also lucky that he especially is at a point in his career where he can erally afford to refuse roles, and only do things that he wants to do, which is a definite luxury for an actor.

"We don't value the lily less for not being made of flint and built to last. Life's bounty is in it's flow, later is too late. Where is the song when it's been sung, the dance when it's been danced? It's only we humans who want to own the future too." - Tom Stoppard, Shipwreck

Phantom2 Profile Photo
Phantom2
#12re: How Difficult Is It To Balance A Broadway Show and Personal Life?
Posted: 8/6/06 at 2:01pm

Piece of cake.

"I'm learning to dig deep down inside and find the truth within myself and put that out. I think what we identify with in popular music more than anything else is when someone just shares a truth that we can relate to. That's what I'm searching for in my music." - Ron Bohmer

"I broke the boundaries. It wasn't cool to be in plays- especially if you were in sports & I was in both." - Ashton Kutcher

thespian geek Profile Photo
thespian geek
#13re: How Difficult Is It To Balance A Broadway Show and Personal Life?
Posted: 8/6/06 at 2:23pm

A good book, IMO, to pick up is "Making it on Broadway" - full of quotes and stories from Broadway actors, and a lot of them talk about the lack of personal life they have.

mathewbrock Profile Photo
mathewbrock
#14re: How Difficult Is It To Balance A Broadway Show and Personal Life?
Posted: 8/7/06 at 12:18am

After the rehearsal process, Broadway actors work - roughly - from 7:30 pm to 11:00 pm five nights a week, and 1:30 to 5:00 three days a week. (Shows have different schedules - I'm just estimating here.) That's 3.5 hours 8 times a week. 28 hours a week. Equity minimum is around $1350 to $1400 (based on the lastest stats I could find), so that equals about $50.00 an hour. Of course there are other considerations such as rehearsals and put-ins to keep in mind, but these schedules can be very irregular, so we'll leave them out.

Those are just some stats... In my opinion, Broadway actors have a lot of time for a personal life. Many may not look upon strict diet and exercise patterns, limiting their intake of alcohol and/or drugs, or taking only scheduled vacations as a sacrifice. It's just a way of life they have to have to be successful and reach their goals. The Broadway actors I know are determined to do whatever it takes to achieve their goals. Is it tricky to balance a career on Broadway and a personal life? It doesn't seem like it to me. You work when you are scheduled to, and you lead your personal life the other 140 hours of the week.

But I suppose it depends on what kind of personal life you want to lead....

Updated On: 8/7/06 at 12:18 AM

Chrysanthemum62001
#15re: How Difficult Is It To Balance A Broadway Show and Personal Life?
Posted: 8/7/06 at 12:27am

I'm SO not saying this to be mean cause I love him with all my heart, but ask Michael Cerveris. He'll tell you he's found it to be quite a challange. Actually you don't have to ask him, you can just listen to his cd and you'll get a good enough impression.

However, look at *sighs* Drew Sarich. He seems to be able to make it work just fine. Other examples are Michael Cavanaugh, Chuck Wagner, Sutton Foster/Christian Borle, etc.

I think it has a lot to do with the person and the sacrifices they are willing to make.

"What a mystery this world. One day you love them and the next day you want to kill them a thousand times over." The Masked Bandit in THE FALL

Becoz_i_knew_you21 Profile Photo
Becoz_i_knew_you21
#16re: How Difficult Is It To Balance A Broadway Show and Personal Life?
Posted: 8/7/06 at 12:33am

"However, look at *sighs* Drew Sarich. He seems to be able to make it work just fine. Other examples are Michael Cavanaugh, Chuck Wagner, Sutton Foster/Christian Borle, etc. ?"

That's true but, Sutton Foster has said her life outside of the theater is about the theater.

jimnysf
#17re: How Difficult Is It To Balance A Broadway Show and Personal Life?
Posted: 8/7/06 at 12:46am

" I know plenty of people who can't go away to the shore or The Hamptons on weekends and who don't own country houses."

Amen to that! Maybe they should try working for a lot less pay as a fireman or a cop or and EMT or..... Sorry, but I did not shed any tears when I read that article.

"I've lost everything! Luis, Marty, my baby with Chris, Chris himself, James. All I ever wanted was love." --Sheridan Crane "Passions" ------- "Housework is like bad sex. Every time I do it, I swear I'll never do it again til the next time company comes."--"Lulu" from "Can't Stop The Music" ----- "When the right doors didn't open for him, he went through the wrong ones" - "Sweet Bird of Youth" ------------ --------- "Passions" is uncancelled! See NBC.com for more info.

Viewaskiew
#18re: How Difficult Is It To Balance A Broadway Show and Personal Life?
Posted: 8/7/06 at 1:01am

I'm sure it's tricky for Broadway actors to come up with a schedule that incorporates time with a mate and/or children as well as social time, but it's certainly not impossible. There are so many professionals out there who work 12 hour days every single day all while raising a family. No weekend getaways? Boo hoo. Welcome to the life of 70% of the rest of the population.

I'm SO not saying this to be mean cause I love him with all my heart, but ask Michael Cerveris. He'll tell you he's found it to be quite a challange. Actually you don't have to ask him, you can just listen to his cd and you'll get a good enough impression.

Cerveris really needs to find a new tune to sing. His "Oh, an actor's life..woe is me. I just can't seem to find the right girl. My heart is broken" schtick is wearing thin on. He does perfectly find "socially" and he knows it.

Chrysanthemum62001
#19re: How Difficult Is It To Balance A Broadway Show and Personal Life?
Posted: 8/7/06 at 1:14am

Hey, ease up a bit. Sometimes when people rip your heart out of your chest it leaves lasting scars. And who's to judge what "perfectly fine socially" is? Your standards may not be the same as someone elses.

"What a mystery this world. One day you love them and the next day you want to kill them a thousand times over." The Masked Bandit in THE FALL

RentBoy86
#20re: How Difficult Is It To Balance A Broadway Show and Personal Life?
Posted: 8/7/06 at 1:40am

I think it's different from a regular job because, while most people get to come home at night and eat dinner with their families, actors are going off to start their workday. They don't work during the day, but their kids or spouse are probably at work during the day and home at night, so I'm sure it can be difficult to see each other except for the "hello, goodbye, i love you" sort of thing. I'm sure it's stressful, but if you know that going in, then I'm sure you're prepared for it. I mean, it's what these people have wanted their whole lives. My acting teacher said "if you can think of anything else you'd rather do, then do it because this isn't an easy road."

MOXIEINTHECITY
#21re: How Difficult Is It To Balance A Broadway Show and Personal Life?
Posted: 8/7/06 at 1:57am

The other thing is, many actors take up with other actors. Of course, not all do, but a lot do. I don't think the actors interviewed in the piece were a fair representation of what most Broadway actors deal with.

And, as much as I lust after Michael Cerveris, I agree that his lonely single guy routine is a complete ruse. That guy isn't crying into his beer and lamenting his lack of girlfriends or a social life. The guy gets along juuuuust fine.

The Distinctive Baritone Profile Photo
The Distinctive Baritone
#22re: How Difficult Is It To Balance A Broadway Show and Personal Life?
Posted: 8/7/06 at 2:11am

mathewbrock--

Thank you for pointing that out. Although Broadway actors will often complain about how "difficult" their jobs are, in actuality being in a Broadway show is only a part-time job (technically speaking), and a VERY well-paying one at that. No complaining should be allowed!
Updated On: 8/7/06 at 02:11 AM

Becoz_i_knew_you21 Profile Photo
Becoz_i_knew_you21
#23re: How Difficult Is It To Balance A Broadway Show and Personal Life?
Posted: 8/7/06 at 2:23am

"No complaining should be allowed! "

That's true, thousand's of people would kill to have their job.

brdwybound2 Profile Photo
brdwybound2
#24re: How Difficult Is It To Balance A Broadway Show and Personal Life?
Posted: 8/7/06 at 2:35am

While I only read the article in the Times someone posted, I can imagine it might be hard sometimes to balance a Broadway show and a personal life. Many of you have been in shows, and I know when I'm in a show (and I have obviously not been on Broadway so I can only imagine this 10x) I sleep as much as possible during the day so I can give the best performance possible at night, and I don't even attempt to have a life outside of the show, atleast for shorter runs and everything.

And like someone said before, people in any job have to make sacrifices so there is no need to feel sorry for them because they are doing what they want. It's true, thousands of people would love to be on Broadway, so this is the actor's choice of lifestyle.

somebody hold me too close...

Videos