pixeltracker

DREAMGIRLS: Holliday and Ralph Interviews

DREAMGIRLS: Holliday and Ralph Interviews

cubanpab Profile Photo
cubanpab
#1DREAMGIRLS: Holliday and Ralph Interviews
Posted: 12/12/06 at 9:34pm

Very um... interesting... radio interviews with Sheryl Lee and especially Holliday...

http://www.blackamericaweb.com/site.aspx/holidays06/dreamgirls

cubanpab Profile Photo
cubanpab
#1re: DREAMGIRLS: Holliday and Ralph Interviews
Posted: 12/12/06 at 9:55pm

it made me especially sad when they asked her if she had heard JHuds version of the song... and she barely muttered "she did well".

Then she mentioned that Jen was going to get an Oscar nom, had a recording career... "everything i dont have".

When the interviewer asked her why Jen was going to get an Oscar nom, her answer: "I guess because there is no other musical situation out there... so she will just get it".

So sad. I think she truly thinks she IS effie now. I wish she would seek counseling... because i seriously think she needs it.

That someone can end up so bitter and angry. Thats horrible. And yet she wonders why she's living alone in Brooklyn with no one... so sad.

TheatreDiva90016 Profile Photo
TheatreDiva90016
#2re: DREAMGIRLS: Holliday and Ralph Interviews
Posted: 12/12/06 at 10:01pm

And Ms. Ralph is gracious as always.

And it's nice she's setting the record straight about the Diana Ross story.

"TheatreDiva90016 - another good reason to frequent these boards less."<<>> “I hesitate to give this line of discussion the validation it so desperately craves by perpetuating it, but the light from logic is getting further and further away with your every successive post.” <<>> -whatever2

Marlothom Profile Photo
Marlothom
#3re: DREAMGIRLS: Holliday and Ralph Interviews
Posted: 12/12/06 at 10:17pm

"everything from 'And I Am Telling You' to the end of the show, I am responsible for.." [speechless].

"Observe how bravely I conceal this dreadful dreadful shame I feel."

cubanpab Profile Photo
cubanpab
#4re: DREAMGIRLS: Holliday and Ralph Interviews
Posted: 12/12/06 at 10:22pm

Sheryl Lee Ralph's interview was gracious and honest. Loved it. But Hollidays interview was... just. sad.

parislover87 Profile Photo
parislover87
#5re: DREAMGIRLS: Holliday and Ralph Interviews
Posted: 12/12/06 at 10:23pm

i HATE jennifer holliday...

she's like one of those pretty people that has an awful personality so you see them as ugly...

she did a great job as effie, but she's so annoying right now that i can't stand to listen to her recording... give me lillias or jhud anyday

It's the music and I'm its hapless victim

Marlothom Profile Photo
Marlothom
#6re: DREAMGIRLS: Holliday and Ralph Interviews
Posted: 12/12/06 at 10:29pm

-Oh god she is so dilluted; she says she "arranged" the original song [yet did it in one take].
-I am upset they didn't give a cameo to an original to keep the connection to history [hello, Ms. Divine].

show2n2 Profile Photo
show2n2
#7re: DREAMGIRLS: Holliday and Ralph Interviews
Posted: 12/12/06 at 10:40pm

arrrrrrrrrgh. I couldn't get them to play re: DREAMGIRLS:  Holliday and Ralph Interviews

Marlothom Profile Photo
Marlothom
#8re: DREAMGIRLS: Holliday and Ralph Interviews
Posted: 12/12/06 at 10:46pm

Well listen to SLR's...it is so refreshing after hearing the same crap from Holliday --- Ms. Ralph is so generous with her history and so humble...

"I had my time...I paved that road; and is a beautiful one." So amazing.

I'd love to see her back on the stage.

Updated On: 12/12/06 at 10:46 PM

CurtainPullDowner Profile Photo
CurtainPullDowner
#9re: DREAMGIRLS: Holliday and Ralph Interviews
Posted: 12/13/06 at 12:08am

She was back on the stage in MILLIE and it wasn't pretty.
"Show Biz, it;s just Show Bizz"

NYC4Life Profile Photo
NYC4Life
#10re: DREAMGIRLS: Holliday and Ralph Interviews
Posted: 12/13/06 at 3:44am

She makes me sick! She does not HAVE to get the nom, she is going to because she is wonderful in the role. She does not just sing in the movie, she acts ms holliday.

TheatreDiva90016 Profile Photo
TheatreDiva90016
#11re: DREAMGIRLS: Holliday and Ralph Interviews
Posted: 12/13/06 at 3:52am

What?

"TheatreDiva90016 - another good reason to frequent these boards less."<<>> “I hesitate to give this line of discussion the validation it so desperately craves by perpetuating it, but the light from logic is getting further and further away with your every successive post.” <<>> -whatever2

NYC4Life Profile Photo
NYC4Life
#12re: DREAMGIRLS: Holliday and Ralph Interviews
Posted: 12/13/06 at 3:58am

Holliday made it seem like they are just giving her the nom because it has to do with music. I was just stating that Hudson also acts.(well)

NYC4Life Profile Photo
NYC4Life
#12re: DREAMGIRLS: Holliday and Ralph Interviews
Posted: 12/13/06 at 3:58am

Double Post. Updated On: 12/13/06 at 03:58 AM

cubanpab Profile Photo
cubanpab
#14re: DREAMGIRLS: Holliday and Ralph Interviews
Posted: 12/13/06 at 8:30am

it pissed me off that Holliday was just dismissing Jennifer and saying "oh they'll give her a nomination because theres nothing else out..."

so bitter!!

and when she said "she now has a record deal with clive davis, and oscar nomination, awards and accolades..." and she was saying it so nasty and mean... she was pretty much saying that Jennifer has everything she wants!

I loved Sheryl Lee Ralphs interview... did anyone else get the feeling she was directing half her interview towards Holliday? when she was saying "i had my time... i need to step back and let the new ones shine... i paved the road for them and now its their turn... " etc etc

like she was telling Holliday... shut your damn mouth fool.

ray-andallthatjazz86 Profile Photo
ray-andallthatjazz86
#15re: DREAMGIRLS: Holliday and Ralph Interviews
Posted: 12/13/06 at 8:59am

It's sad that she harbors these bad feelings towards Jennifer Hudson, it's misdirected anger IMO.
There is an article on MSN.com that I posted on the other thread on this same topic that mentions the fact Hudson's biggest challenge was to live up to Holliday's legendary performance and Hudson herself says that she always admired Holliday's singing. I believe Ms.Holliday should stop bashing Hudson, though we all know she'd be against whoever was cast in the role for the movie.
Honestly, all this attitude is lack of self-steem, it seems like she believes all she can do is Effie and does not want that taken away from her. She just needs to be confident enough to know that her performance will always remain legendary and that it is time to pass on the legacy.
Did she show this same attitude when she was not cast for the Actor's Fund Benefit concert? That would have made a bit more sense, at least.

"Some people can thrive and bloom living life in a living room, that's perfect for some people of one hundred and five. But I at least gotta try, when I think of all the sights that I gotta see, all the places I gotta play, all the things that I gotta be at"

JerseyGirl2 Profile Photo
JerseyGirl2
#16re: DREAMGIRLS: Holliday and Ralph Interviews
Posted: 12/13/06 at 9:20am

The interviewer needs to do some girl group research before interviewing about this film.

Pretty pretty please don't you ever ever feel like you're less than f**ckin' perfect!

best12bars Profile Photo
best12bars
#17re: DREAMGIRLS: Holliday and Ralph Interviews
Posted: 12/13/06 at 9:43am

It doesn't look like the media is going to lay off this anytime soon... and Holliday is certainly grabbing every opportunity presented to her to throw these public Pity Parties.

Such a shame.

"Jaws is the Citizen Kane of movies."
blocked: logan2, Diamonds3, Hamilton22

imafantu Profile Photo
imafantu
#18re: DREAMGIRLS: Holliday and Ralph Interviews
Posted: 12/13/06 at 10:36am

Please everybody! give the woman a break, she suffers from a long history of clinical depression...she may just be going thru another period where she feels that she is obsolete. It's hard to long for love from so many areas(for her a marriage and stardom) and have them both "reject" you. Even if that is not the case, people who have no control over their chemical imbalances can easily miss the warning signs that they are sinking....I hope that she finds some peace soon.
Secondly, if she is as broke as she claims, she may not be able to afford costly medicine and/or counseling. The media is often seen as free therapy for the stars. Maybe this is her venue. The woman may be talking to the mics and cameras to keep from crawling back into her own world and making another attempt to take her own life. Everyone obviously knows that Jennifer Hudson is well deserving of her accolades. Everyone is aware that Jennifer Holliday is feeling like a non-entity. The woman feels like she is being replaced- by a younger, spritelier, vocal powerhouse, image of herself who can also act on film(and right now is less difficult to work with)! she even has the same initials!!! It is easy to see why she(Jholl) can distort hollywood preferences into personal rejection.
Lastly, the film producers and all of the powers that be should not play games with her. Don't invite her to openings or premiers and then take them away under the pretense of an "error in printing". Have the decency to tell the truth- they have already told her the truth about her age and her time to be in the spotlight- they should tell her that she has made some caustic remarks and people are uncomfortable trusting her in a venue that garners publicity.
In other words, things are going great and are going to be great for Jhud and all of the other stars of dreamgirls. that reality alone should allow us to have some compassion for a woman who -for whatever reason- thinks that unless she is out front, she has no value. May you find peace in this whole situation Jennifer Holliday! And Jennifer Hudson, May you not be afraid to shine...with empathy

Your Potential is greater than your problems, and your problems will bring out your potential- Vashti Murphy McKenzie. Honey...don't be ashamed, be comfortable with who you are. Stay true to yourself.- Elisabeth Withers-Mendes

Jazzysuite82
#19re: DREAMGIRLS: Holliday and Ralph Interviews
Posted: 12/13/06 at 11:23am

While all of this is unfortunate it doens't make what she's doing ok or acceptable. I feel for her. Really I do. I know people go through all sorts of things and she's having a tough time. If she really needs help there are clinics and things all over the place. If she doesn't find any of them find a pastor, a friend, write music, use what she's feeling to add a whole new dimension to her singing. There are so many more constructive ways to deal with pain, but going on a media negativity tour isn't going to help.

I must say that she never really said anything about Jennifer Hudson. I think now people are reading things in her comments that are not there. You can hear a twinge of jealousy yes, but as far as haboring bad feelings for Jhud there is no evidence of that. She may covet Hudson's career but I've never read or heard anything that said she doesn't like JHud. She hasn't met her and hasn't seen her work. Don't demonize Holliday. She's bitter about circumstances and jealous of blessings not people. She doesn't even seem all that angry, just desperate.

imafantu Profile Photo
imafantu
#20re: DREAMGIRLS: Holliday and Ralph Interviews
Posted: 12/13/06 at 11:33am

now that i totally agree with...i just think that when people have been are clinically depressed, they aren't always able to see from the outside that their actions are destructive, until they have come out of it...having dealt with both people who are depressed because of a situation (they usually can at some point take themselves in hand and get off the trainwreck), and those who are diagnosed as clinically depressed (they live in a state of depression interrupted by periods of "regular" behavior) we are expectin something of her that even at 40+ years old, she is just not able to do. I have no relation to this woman, but someone who so obviously thrives on public acceptance and affection is clearly not operating with all of her healthy coping mechanisms...for that -even though i am a fan of all involved in this movie, even though i wish she would mellow out- i am not inclined to suggest that she is doing this JUST because she WON'T get over it. I think that she just may be stuck in this place and CANT move beyond it without intervention. But you are absolutely right that it is not ok,

Your Potential is greater than your problems, and your problems will bring out your potential- Vashti Murphy McKenzie. Honey...don't be ashamed, be comfortable with who you are. Stay true to yourself.- Elisabeth Withers-Mendes

best12bars Profile Photo
best12bars
#21re: DREAMGIRLS: Holliday and Ralph Interviews
Posted: 12/13/06 at 11:40am

Please, the Media is hardly "therapy."

They offer no help to Holliday or anybody else whatsoever, except to profit from her venting "sessions" by selling them to the public. And that's not helping her AT ALL.

The fact that she is battling depression is NOT the issue here or the subject of this thread, or the subject of these articles. The issue is the repeated Dreamgirls movie INTERVIEWS she is willingly and enthusiastically giving to a pot-stirring press, and the fallout that is damaging her image and her future career opportunities as a result.

Most people in the world haven't heard from or about Miss Holliday since she was on Broadway in Dreamgirls, and now they hear this? They barely remember who she was. I will say again that it's a SHAME that she is surfacing now in nationwide/worldwide media with THIS as her "comeback."

Can you imagine if Jerry Mathers had bitched when they were making a film adaptation of "Leave It To Beaver?"

"I was pushed aside. They never considered me for the role! They never consulted me."

Let's put this in perspective.

"Jaws is the Citizen Kane of movies."
blocked: logan2, Diamonds3, Hamilton22

Jazzysuite82
#22re: DREAMGIRLS: Holliday and Ralph Interviews
Posted: 12/13/06 at 11:48am

LOL funny the thing about perspective is that everyone has a different one. Who's perspective shall I put it in? No one here knows what really is going on. Everyone here is just speculating.

imafantu Profile Photo
imafantu
#23re: DREAMGIRLS: Holliday and Ralph Interviews
Posted: 12/13/06 at 11:49am

I agree with your points...what i disagree with are the comments that try to DEFINE why she is doing all of these things...nobody has access to the inside of what happens...
you are absolutely right- media and hollywood is no therapy to anybody, but you as a person on this forum have clearly been able to express that, so you come across as someone who has everything they need to cope with disappointment, and rejection in healthy ways...
this woman has a clear history of self destruction attempts- it has been diagnosed and has not only affected her career, but her personal life. If we were dealing with "normal" person, or even an "abnormal" person who was getting intervention, then this woman would not be all over the media.
The media and the producers are clearly self invested- if they thought that they were not benefitting from any of this, they would have shut her up long ago, turned of the lights, pulled in the mics, and slapped all kind of lawsuits on her...but they clearly are getting publicity- the film self explanatory, the interviewers- they get known for having interviewed and gotten a new tidbit from the disgruntled broke ex-dreamgirl.
I think they are helping her participate in her own destruction, and that is sad to me and also exploitive. But your points and other peoples' are absolutely accurate about her actions- just not about her intentions

imafantu Profile Photo
imafantu
#24re: DREAMGIRLS: Holliday and Ralph Interviews
Posted: 12/13/06 at 11:49am

dbl post

Updated On: 12/13/06 at 11:49 AM

Videos