News on your favorite shows, specials & more!

Profile for genius2

Member Name: genius2
Contact User: You must be logged in to contact BWW members.

Most Recent Message Board Posts:

View Off Topic Posts

Angela Lansbury as Mame 'too common for words'
 Mar 18 2011, 04:49:18 PM
Wasn't there some speculation that he made all that "Auntie Mame" up? That it wasn't really autobiographical?
How come Jodi Benson doesn't do any theater work anymore?
 Mar 12 2011, 07:10:33 PM
I can't remember whether it was before or just after "Crazy For You" but I saw her in "Chess" at Casa Manana..

She was great at the time..

(More) Breaking News: SPIDER-MAN to Shut Down April 19 - May 11; Open June 14, 2011
 Mar 12 2011, 09:15:22 AM
Wonder what Alan Cumming and Evan Rachel Wood are thinking about now?
"Spiderman" Changes
 Feb 16 2011, 05:22:04 PM
Just heard they're bringing in someone to totally re-write the book?
re: Dream Cast For Movie 'Follies'
 Dec 20 2010, 11:42:32 AM
I know I've read that there was a version planned in the 70s with names like Bette Davis and Joan Crawford. Anybody know that? I know I'm not dreaming.
Musicals That Never Made It To Broadway
 Dec 16 2010, 01:30:26 PM
Stage Door Charley/Busker's Alley
re: Saw 'Sweeney Todd' Tonight
 Dec 19 2007, 12:24:58 AM
Didn't think I'd ever have to defend "Oliver!"

It won "Best Picture" in 1968 and was directed by Sir Carol Reed, who also did "The Third Man."

I have ready scholarly articles that sing its praises.

Watch it again. I discovered it again through my son, and it's a masterpiece.

Saw "Sweeney Todd" Tonight
 Dec 18 2007, 11:54:16 PM
My favorite Broadway musical..Was worried about the movie after seeing previews.

"Sweeney Todd" - the movie - is ravishing. The best movie musical since "Oliver!" It is made by people who love and respect every note. It is a Valentine to Sondheim.

There are certainly script and song changes,some numbers are even sung out of order, but even those of us who know the score by heart can't be anything but thrilled with the care the producers and Tim Burton have lavished on this pie

re: Who Have You Seen Naked on Stage?
 Dec 18 2007, 11:42:05 PM
Toni Collette in "The Wild Party"

Kathy Bates and F. Murray Abraham in "Frankie and Johnny"

re: Sugar Babies?
 Apr 23 2007, 07:58:36 PM
and for that matter, Mickey could probably still do it!..A national treasure
re: Sugar Babies?
 Apr 23 2007, 07:57:49 PM
Mickey's replacement when he went on vacation was Rip Taylor..he was fantastic and still working now
"Lestat" Recording Heard
 Jan 3 2007, 04:47:41 PM
Last night on the XM Broadway channel, in a review of the 2006 theater season, they played a song from "Lestat" Does this infer the album is forthcoming?
re: MAME the movie.
 Jan 3 2007, 04:45:41 PM
Compared to the junk today, it looks like a classic.. would it have been made in 1968 or so instead of 1974, it would have been a different situation..remember, people's idea of a musical during that period was "Cabaret" - not your traditional movie musical.

I have a copy of the limited soundtrack..and LOVE the extra song "Loving You" that Herman put in for Robert Preston to sing.

Saw "Dreamgirls" Last Night
 Nov 16 2006, 04:37:36 PM
Incredible...
"Flags of Our Fathers"
 Oct 20 2006, 09:37:14 AM
Saw "Flags of our Fathers" at an industry screening last night..how cool is it that playing the surviving members of the unit are Harve Presnell, George Grizzard, George Hearn and Len Cariou?
re: Helena Bonham Carter To Star as Mrs. Lovett in Sweeney Todd Film
 Oct 18 2006, 10:34:50 AM
I called it on this very board the day the project was announced..Burton took the project for her.
re: Dirty Rotten Scoundrels Tour--Dallas Opening Night (Spoilers)
 Oct 9 2006, 04:16:28 PM
Was at Sunday afternoon's show..had previously seen it in New York with Jonathan Pryce and Norbert.

This is about as well mounted as a tour production can be..Norbert was unhinged, even more so than what I saw on Broadway but the revelation was Tom Hewitt..he is terrific in this part..it will be worth going to see even after Norbert has left the building..

I'm a member of the press and received a little behind the scenes juice..Norbert initially announced at the very last minut

re: Broadway replacements landing the film version...
 Sep 12 2006, 05:35:43 PM
Richard Burton was maybe the third replacement in "Equus" and on to play Dysart in the film.
re: Legends- the play
 Sep 10 2006, 04:39:52 PM
To answer your original question..yes I saw it with Carol and Mary at the Majestic Theater in Dallas. It was pitiful. It was obvious that Mary was in another world..actually you could tell they were both making up lines as they went along..

Finally, at the end of the first act, they got into this terribly staged "brawl" where Carol pulled Mary's wig off.

Carol was operating on pure schtick but it wasn't enough to save the show. One of the all time train wrecks

"Dr. Dolittle"
 Sep 8 2006, 10:39:24 AM
Anyone know what's going on with the Tommy Tune "Dr. Dolittle" -it stopped its tour in late July and its website says additional late summer/fall dates are to be announced, yet nothing..
You must log in to view off-topic posts.

Videos

TICKET CENTRAL

Recommended For You