Legends- the play

sabrelady Profile Photo
sabrelady
#0Legends- the play
Posted: 9/10/06 at 11:22am

Has any one here actually seen this chestnut? Originally w Carol Channing & Mary Martin ( apparently no love lost between them) It is being revived(resurrected?) here in Toronto w (wait for it...) Linda Evans and Joan Collins! Supposedly before a B'way run. For the love of all that is holy I dunno why. Is anyone actually intresed in seeing these two ladies " have at it" on stage? Are there replacement hips on hold @ the local hospitals?
Inquiring minds and all...
Seriously, is this just bad or is it BAD!! & therefore worth seeing if only for the train wreck?

Dollypop
#1re: Legends- the play
Posted: 9/10/06 at 11:27am

The play is really a piece of sh1t. Go to see it only if you like to see miserable flops.

"Long live God!" (GODSPELL)

sabrelady Profile Photo
sabrelady
#2re: Legends- the play
Posted: 9/10/06 at 11:45am

Thanks for the warning! ( I get enough fecal matter frm my workplace DP!)

Dollypop
#3re: Legends- the play
Posted: 9/10/06 at 11:49am

Perhaps you can get a copy of the script. They published both versions of the last act. Neither one is good.

Al;so, read Jim Kirkwoood's DIARY OF A MAD PLAYWRIGHT. It tells the backstage story of this mess.

"Long live God!" (GODSPELL)

WSS2 Profile Photo
WSS2
#4re: Legends- the play
Posted: 9/10/06 at 11:55am

The book is great

Tag Profile Photo
Tag
#5re: Legends- the play
Posted: 9/10/06 at 1:32pm

I have tickets...fortunetly or not. (It's part of my subscription season)
I also read that the host from Trading Spaces Family is in it!?

sabrelady Profile Photo
sabrelady
#6re: Legends- the play
Posted: 9/10/06 at 4:24pm

Tag,post and let us know if the manure is fresh!
(P.S. -DP- I will check for the book, sounds like a hoot!)

genius2
#8re: Legends- the play
Posted: 9/10/06 at 4:39pm

To answer your original question..yes I saw it with Carol and Mary at the Majestic Theater in Dallas. It was pitiful. It was obvious that Mary was in another world..actually you could tell they were both making up lines as they went along..

Finally, at the end of the first act, they got into this terribly staged "brawl" where Carol pulled Mary's wig off.

Carol was operating on pure schtick but it wasn't enough to save the show. One of the all time train wrecks

SueleenGay Profile Photo
SueleenGay
#9re: Legends- the play
Posted: 9/10/06 at 4:48pm

I agree with genius2. It was one of the most memorable evenings in the theatre and for all the wrong reasons.
I shall never forget it as long as I live.
I am sure the Dynasty broads will be a hoot and a half, but I am fairly certain they will at least remember some of their lines.

PEACE.

WithoutATrace Profile Photo
WithoutATrace
#10re: Legends- the play
Posted: 9/10/06 at 4:54pm

"The play is really a piece of sh1t. Go to see it only if you like to see miserable flops."

Then I'm so glad I have my ticket for October 28th!

BrodyFosse123 Profile Photo
BrodyFosse123
#11re: Legends- the play
Posted: 9/10/06 at 5:04pm

re: Legends- the play

In the 80's and in LEGENDS (2006-2007)

Tobiasragg? You're TRYING to get rid of tickets? Are you insane?

Apparently you're not aware of the two 80's television grand dames who are starring in this 'revival': Linda Evans and Joan Collins! That alone speaks volumes on what type of production this will be -- sheer blissful camp. Both ladies have a sharp accute sense-of-humor about themselves and are aware of what they've gotten themselves into. This will NOT resemble in any way the original production with Mary Martin and Carol Channing, which was totally misquided and tried to take itself too seriously.

LEGENDS will be one of those EVENTS once it arrives in to each city...and I feel word-of-mouth is going to be quite good on this, just because of the overdone camp level with which Linda and Joan will bring to it. They are fully aware the play is crap AND will chew every bit of scenery in it.

Just looking at the promo photos of the 2 ladies says it all. They KNOW what they're doing.

Jovie24 Profile Photo
Jovie24
#12re: Legends- the play
Posted: 9/10/06 at 5:09pm

SF has the rights to do it in June 2007. It will be peformed at The New Conservatory Theater Center. They were able to get the rights before they were pulled for the tour! And since the tour does not have an SF stop...they can continue with the production!

"Now the best way to learn the theater, always, is to be a stage manager" -Stephen Sondheim

mrsparker
#13re: Legends- the play
Posted: 9/11/06 at 10:00am

I'd go and see it just for the reason that Tonye Patano, Heylia from "Weeds," is in it!

Criticism is prejudice made plausible. -- H.L. Mencken

Bettyboy72 Profile Photo
Bettyboy72
#14re: Legends- the play
Posted: 9/11/06 at 10:05am

I have tickets for Toronto. I will post a review. I am looking forward to it. :)

"The sexual energy between the mother and son really concerns me!"-random woman behind me at Next to Normal "I want to meet him after and bang him!"-random woman who exposed her breasts at Rock of Ages, referring to James Carpinello

Videos