pixeltracker

Dirty Rotten Scoundrels Tour--Dallas Opening Night (Spoilers)

Dirty Rotten Scoundrels Tour--Dallas Opening Night (Spoilers)

Parks
#0Dirty Rotten Scoundrels Tour--Dallas Opening Night (Spoilers)
Posted: 10/4/06 at 1:25am

Well, I just got in from opening night in Dallas for Dirty Rotten Scoundrels--and I still have much to do tonight, so this may be a little brief.

My friend and I arrived to the show 25 minutes before the show, bought our *3rd balcony* tickets, and went to our seats. Opened my Playbill--full cast. When we got in, I couldn't believe how few people had arrived yet. Most of the people didn't get to their seats until about 5 minutes before the show started. It was about 2/3 full, maybe.

The overture started, and I noticed they no longer use the scrim curtain and show the dancers behind it during the overture. All the dialogue that was there is gone. The opening dialogue to the show is pretty much gone.

Now there's the song, "The Only Game In Town", which I had heard was horrible. I must say, while it isn't anywhere near as good as Give Them What They Want, it wasn't anywhere near as dreadful as some of the other parts of the show. It had some nice dancing by the ensemble. Not a horrible start to the show, but I don't understand why they replaced Give Them What They Want with it. The song wasn't half as funny.

Norbert made his entrance (and got hardly any entrance applause). He came on to the stage--I was ready to be amazed like I had been when I had seen him the last 2 times I saw him in the show. Well, he seemed very bored. Many of his lines were just flat...so many jokes fell flat. The audience still laughed at many of them, but I know what he is capable of and I know he can do better.

What Was A Woman To Do--Wow, poor Hollis Resnik (Muriel). The woman's mic kept cutting out and making odd noises throughout this song AND the rest of the show. It was very distracting. Several of her lines that are funny, were lost because of the sound cutting out. It was still a good song, one of the better ones from the show.

Great Big Stuff--OK, something I noticed about Norbert is...he now dances in a silly way to almost every song. Great Big Stuff--ok, he just JUMPED right into the dancing righ when they music started. It caught me off guard. It didn't make any sense to me, but the rest of the audience really enjoyed it. He continued doing this throughout the song, and it seemed that the audience got pretty tired of it. He's just run out of creative things to do, so he's decided to...dance in a silly way? Also, I noticed that his voice wasn't ANYWHERE near as good as I remembered it being. He just was very lazy--and wasn't using his good voice. He sounded very scratchy and it was not pleasant to listen to.

Chimp in a Suit--Drew McVety (Andre) did a fine job with this song. It's always been a throw away song to me, but he sang it fine. Norbert showed his ass cheek...the end.

Oklahoma--Jenifer Foote (Jolene) was good. I can't get Sara Gettelfinger out of my head though--she WAS Jolene. Mylinda came at a close 2nd. Jenifer was not bad, but she lacked energy in the song. Her high kicks were not high kicks. She just looked like she wasn't really trying. The energy in this song just didn't seem quite as high as it was in the Broadway show.

All About Ruprecht--Finally! A song that was done well. Well, minus the Norbert milking the "look at my stomach, it's hairy and unattractive" joke way too much. Once you got past that, and his...silly dancing, it was a very good song. "The Bush's of Tex were nervous wrecks because their son was dim" created a very...uncomfortable atmosphere in the audience. I, of course, cheered, but about 60% of the audience just sat there...quietly. I wouldn't be surprised if they change it for the run in Dallas.

Random note--I noticed Norbert now says the word "sh!t" about 5 times more than he used to. It becomes obnoxious and not funny after about the 10th time.

When Tom Hewitt and Norbert were making the deal and Tom was listing places that Freddie could work, Tom decided to ad-lib a line in there. "China, (some other place), and just so there are no hard feelings...I'll throw in Waxahachie". Well, the fourth wall came crashing down and Norbert started laughing...out to the audience. Many people in the audience found this to be very funny, and began to laugh and applaud. I, personally, was annoyed. I've never really felt angry if the actors broke the fourth wall or started laughing, but I felt Norbert was already giving about 10%, and he was only taking it down even more by doing this. He asked Tom if he just made that up (or something). I...feel like a bitter queen. I just was not amused.

Here I Am--Laura Marie Duncan (Christine) did a fabulous job with this song. She sang it just fine. The only thing I wasn't a fan of was when she "dances" with the bell boys (before the dog incident). I was sitting in the balcony at this point, and the Music Hall is HUGE. The actors need to make things bigger, in my opinion. If this were a typical Broadway show, it would be fine for them to be acting the way they do, but some people are about 200 feet away and can't even see faces. Dance moves and gestures should be made bigger, I think.

Nothing Is To Wonderful To Be True--Laura has a beautiful voice, and she sang this song wonderfully. Norbert was ok, I guess, but he was too silly, again. Norbert was over-acting the whole night. He made little pauses before each "miracle" he talked about (midget, shampoo, etc.)--taking a moment to "think" before EACH one, which got a little annoying.

The Miracle--Eh, not a number you can really critique--but I will say this--I LOVED the last pose. After Lawrence snapped his finger, the entire cast popped out from behind a prop or part of the set--and it was one of the few changes that really actually worked for the show.

Alright, that's all I have for now, since I really need to get to bed. I'll try to finish this tomorrow evening. Hope my review so far has been semi-decent. I'll probably also go back and add details if I remember them. Have a great night Dirty Rotten Scoundrels Tour--Dallas Opening Night (Spoilers)

Oh, I went to the stagedoor afterwards and met Tom and Norbert. Norbert was kind of rushing, but Tom was very nice. We didn't really get to talk, but he was much more of a people's person.

Norbert made a very...odd face in my picture, as well as my friend's picture. lol, He didn't smile...I'll post it later, maybe if you want to see it.

In case you all are wondering, Act II, I moved down to the orchestra and snatched some 3rd row dead center seats--the show was much easier to see. For the most part, the show was better act II. We'll get to that tomorrow!

-----------------------------

ACT II

As I said, my friend and I moved down to 3rd row (in the orchestra--dead center). I thought maybe it was the fact that I was about 75 feet away from the actors--maybe that was what bored me in the first act.

Well, Ruffhousin' mit Shuffhausen started...and I must say, that song was DEAAAD. Not funny at all. Tom Hewitt had very little energy and Norbert made the same face over and over when he got whipped. It was funny the first time, but when he did it 5 times, it lost its humor. I hated this song. It was one of my favorites in the Broadway show, but probably one of the worst in this production.

Like Zis/Like Zat--The song was fine, but Joanna and Greg will always be the best at that song. It seemed to be lacking a little energy, but they got through it without totally boring me to tears. I wish this production had more energy.

The More We Dance--FINALLY some energy! The ensemble finally had me excited. The dancing in this number always amazed me on Broadway. Here, it wasn't quite as energized as Broadway's dancing, but it was still very good. Norbert's acting in the middle was better--not so over the top. It was refreshing. Instead of riding a Vespa (or whatever it was) chasing Christine and Lawrence, he gets on a Segway. It was funny, but I'm just now realizing that doesn't make much sense, considering he's not supposed to be able to even move his legs...and yet, he's standing on a Segway? Eh, whatever. The audience loved it, including myself.

Love Is My Legs--Always been a favorite, but this time...it wasn't. Norbert acted like a diva throghout the whole thing--and it didn't work. Norbert just needs to limit himself to how much diva action he does. He put his hand next to his ear about 7 times during that song. It really just wasn't funny to me. Laura acted this song very different from any of the Christine's I've seen on Broadway. She wasn't as compassionate as the ones I've seen. She was much crazier in the song--but I guess it worked with Norbert's craziness. It was a pretty good song, but I just wish Norbert would take it down a notch..

The scene comes when Christine is supposed to leave and Lawrence is saying goodbye. This scene was done very well--it was a breath of fresh air compared to what I was seeing in Act I with some of Norbert's parts. I really felt moved by what Laura was saying, and saw the pity Tom had for her. It was a beautiful scene, and the song that followed only made it even better.

Love Sneaks In--a very pretty song, always been a favorite of mine. I believe this was in a lower key, which was fine. It sounded nice and Tom did a great job with it. Don't really know what else to say.

Wow, Drew and Hollis...in the next scene (balcony scene)...I'm not going to lie, it was horrible. I LOVED it when Greg and Joanna did this scene--it was so perfect. This couple uses awkward pauses as much as they can to try to be funny, and it only makes their scenes drag on more than they previously did, Drew especially. The scene dragged...wasn't very funny, it ended. Thank God.

Son of Great Big Stuff--Finally, Norbert did something I hadn't seen him do before that was better than before. "She said she loves me! She said she--...she said she loves me?" Norbert really showed that he had a change in feelings after he realized that. As small as it was, I noticed it and liked it better than just blowing it off.

The next scene (where Christine comes to tell Lawrence about Freddy robbing her) was done very well. It was another scene that was about as good as the scene before Love Sneaks In. The acting in this scene was done very well--Laura had tears in her eyes and Tom looked disgusted when he found out that Freddy had stolen the money. When Christine was leaving after she got the money, she turned around and took her time to say goodbye to Lawrence, which made the goodbye very touching.

The Reckoning--The only thing I have to say about this is that Tom did this song different from John and Jonathan. He found it to be very amusing that she stole 50,000. He was laughing the whole time in amusement. Laura no longer runs through the audience, she just directs the orchestra, comes up, says her lines and then goes back down in the orchestra pit.

Dirty Rotten Number--this was in a different key, which kind of distracted me. I didn't like it in a lower key--it just didn't have the same feel to it that it had before. It seemed slower too. It wasn't as quite enjoyable.

Finale--Well, this was in the original key, which was nice. Laura belted out that "3 of a kind", which sounded great. I enjoyed it. The show was over, and I was ready to go home. The show dragged on a lot, and left me bored several times. The show would probably be 5 minutes shorter if they didn't milk every awkward pause that is created in the show.

For some reason, Laura's wig always bothered me. I saw a picture somebody posted and they said, "she looks like Barbie", and I must say--I totally agree. I wish they would get her a better wig. It just looks very fake.

I'm not a fan of the tour, but I have tickets to see the show 2 more times (including Norbert's last day from 3rd row, which I'm hoping he will be much better on, considering...it is his last performance that we know of). I'm hoping the tour will get better. Some things need to be toned down. Some parts need more enrgy. It's a pretty weak show compared to the Broadway show. It has several flaws. I hope Norbert starts doing better--I know he is incredibly talented and can do much better. Last night was just very upsetting to see him give so little effort in many parts.

I'm sorry if I'm very harsh--I'm just so picky, I guess. Hope this has been decent.

Rating this production on a scale of 1-10 (10 being the best), I'd give this production a 5. It has many flaws, but has some very nice parts in it too.

"If it walks like a Parks, if it wobbles like a Parks, then it's definitely fat and nobody loves it." --MA
Updated On: 10/4/06 at 01:25 AM

Dre2387 Profile Photo
Dre2387
#1re: Dirty Rotten Scoundrels Tour--Dallas Opening Night (Spoilers)
Posted: 10/4/06 at 1:33am

how very interesting. I am intrigued to hear what else you have to say about it.

although, he believes he has ADD and usually doesn't do a musical for this long. I'm surprised that after resigning a contract, he decided to do tour. He's probably just getting sick of the character. Although, that isn't an excuse for him not being up to par, it is sort of a reason.

<--- the set of A Midsummer Night's Dream that I was assistant stage manager for during the 2007 season at the STNJ outdoor stage.

-Dre-
You must remember all the same that at the crux of every game is knowing when it's time to leave the table... And it's important to be artful in your exit. No turning back, you must accept the con is done... It was a ball, it was a blast. And it's a shame it couldn't last. But every chapter has to end, you must agree.
~Dirty Rotten Scoundrels~

There's a special kind of people known as show people. We live in a world full of dreams. Sometimes we're not too certain what's false and what's real. But we're seldom in doubt about what we feel.
~Curtains~

It is a far, far better thing I do, than I have ever done; it is a far, far better rest I go to, than I have ever known.
~A Tale of Two Cities ~
Updated On: 10/4/06 at 01:33 AM

Parks
#2re: Dirty Rotten Scoundrels Tour--Dallas Opening Night (Spoilers)
Posted: 10/4/06 at 5:58pm

Act II is up re: Dirty Rotten Scoundrels Tour--Dallas Opening Night (Spoilers)

"If it walks like a Parks, if it wobbles like a Parks, then it's definitely fat and nobody loves it." --MA

SirLiir Profile Photo
SirLiir
#3re: Dirty Rotten Scoundrels Tour--Dallas Opening Night (Spoilers)
Posted: 10/4/06 at 7:28pm

What a review lol. That blows any WRQ post by far. Sorry you didn't enjoy the show as much and I can't comment having not been there. Norbert just doesn't seem the type of actor to phone in performances, though I am sure it happens. Plus, breaking the 4th wall was always one of the best traits of DRS. I hope the next shows are more lively because it seems contradictary to what others have said. Maybe Norbert really is tired.

DrunkyMcWasted Profile Photo
DrunkyMcWasted
#4re: Dirty Rotten Scoundrels Tour--Dallas Opening Night (Spoilers)
Posted: 10/4/06 at 8:22pm

Yay for Laura! I haven't seen any pictures of her in the wig... but I have a hard time picturing her with blonde hair. When she was understudying Sherie she didn't have a wig. They just let her do it with her own (brown) hair.

l love you without knowing how... or when... or from where.
I love you straightforwardly, without complexities or pride.
I love you because I know no other way than this.

I believe in fate
But it's up to us to follow through

Parks
#5re: Dirty Rotten Scoundrels Tour--Dallas Opening Night (Spoilers)
Posted: 10/4/06 at 10:28pm

They should just let her do that on tour. The wig looks horrible, lol.

Parks
#6re: Dirty Rotten Scoundrels Tour--Dallas Opening Night (Spoilers)
Posted: 10/4/06 at 10:28pm

*EDIT*

Updated On: 10/8/06 at 10:28 PM

SirLiir Profile Photo
SirLiir
#7re: Dirty Rotten Scoundrels Tour--Dallas Opening Night (Spoilers)
Posted: 10/4/06 at 11:18pm

From all the pics his fans sent to the site, I can say for certain that Norbert can never get a solid pose or face for the cameras lol

Dre2387 Profile Photo
Dre2387
#8re: Dirty Rotten Scoundrels Tour--Dallas Opening Night (Spoilers)
Posted: 10/4/06 at 11:26pm

Parks, he is making a weird face. But i love it! lol.

<--- the set of A Midsummer Night's Dream that I was assistant stage manager for during the 2007 season at the STNJ outdoor stage.

-Dre-
You must remember all the same that at the crux of every game is knowing when it's time to leave the table... And it's important to be artful in your exit. No turning back, you must accept the con is done... It was a ball, it was a blast. And it's a shame it couldn't last. But every chapter has to end, you must agree.

There's a special kind of people known as show people. We live in a world full of dreams. Sometimes we're not too certain what's false and what's real. But we're seldom in doubt about what we feel.
~Curtains~

It is a far, far better thing I do, than I have ever done; it is a far, far better rest I go to, than I have ever known.
~A Tale of Two Cities ~

RentBoy86
#9re: Dirty Rotten Scoundrels Tour--Dallas Opening Night (Spoilers)
Posted: 10/4/06 at 11:31pm

Maybe he's like me and knows every picture of him is going to turn out horrible, so why not just make a horrible face since you know it's not going to look good?

It does suck that he's not doing that great. I saw him on Broadway and thought he was great. Comedy is a hard thing to keep fresh each night; it doesn't work if you don't have the energy.

How did the set translate to tour? Is it still the same? I never thought they utilized the revolving stage the way they could have.

Parks
#10re: Dirty Rotten Scoundrels Tour--Dallas Opening Night (Spoilers)
Posted: 10/5/06 at 7:42am

Oh, wow--totally forgot to talk about the set. The set looks pretty close to the Broadway set in some parts. Other parts look very cheap. The "train" no longer has the "windows". The curtain looks a little bit cheaper too. I remember walking into the show on Broadway and saying, "Wow!" when I saw it, but on tour, it looks very dull. You can tell a big difference in the set in some scenes. Oh, the balcony (Muriel's balcony) is no longer up like 10 feet. It's now on the ground, which makes the "Is the balcony moving?!" line not quite as funny.

For some reason, the set looked...old to me. It looked like it had been used for years. The colors look faded or something. I'm not a fan of the light blue color they use for the stage.

MimiLovesRoger Profile Photo
MimiLovesRoger
#11re: Dirty Rotten Scoundrels Tour--Dallas Opening Night (Spoilers)
Posted: 10/5/06 at 9:21am

too bad...

i really wanted to see it (just because of norb) but he's gone now...plus, he wasn't coming anywhere close to where i live. god, i'm in love with that man.

and that picture of him, i agree about the weird face. poor norbie. <3

TimWarp Profile Photo
TimWarp
#12re: Dirty Rotten Scoundrels Tour--Dallas Opening Night (Spoilers)
Posted: 10/5/06 at 10:44am

Thanks for the excellent, detailed review. I was disappointed when I heard that Norbert wasn't coming with the tour as far as Pittsburgh, but now...not so much!

umgeoboy Profile Photo
umgeoboy
#13re: Dirty Rotten Scoundrels Tour--Dallas Opening Night (Spoilers)
Posted: 10/5/06 at 12:47pm

Wow I have to say that I saw the tour in Houston (the first night and lsat night) and i disagree with your review. I am hoping that they were just having a bad night when you saw it because in houston the show was incredible. I have now seen the show 5 times (3 on broadway, twice with the original cast once with Jonathan price, and twice in houston). And I did not think Norbert was giving anything less on the tour at all.

The opening number I will agree with you about. It is not bad but it is far from better than the original number, it is just well different. IT has more energy than the original opening number but fits the show less.

As for the bushes of tex line, it actually went over very well in houston. I was suprised. I am a ny'er that recently moved here and thought the line would flop down here and I would be clapping and laughing a lone. But I was wrong. The line stopped the show both nights.

I thought Tom Hewitt was incredible much better than Jonathan price but not quite as good as Jon Lithgow.

The rest of the cast I thought were all incredible.

I also staged door the show and found norbert very friendly. He took pictures and signed for a long time with everyone there. So maybe he was having an off night the night you saw him. Dallas is his last stop for the tour. It was actually his idea to do the tour because he says he loves doing the show and has become good friends with Tom.

Anyway I do not have time to write a full review but I thought I would comment that while in Houston the show was just as fresh and energetic as it was in NY. re: Dirty Rotten Scoundrels Tour--Dallas Opening Night (Spoilers)

"Judy Garland, Jimmy Dean, You tragedy Queen" ~ Taboo

"Watching a frat boy realize just what he put his d!ck in...ex's getting std's...schadenfruede" ~ Ave Q

"when dangers near, exploit their fear" ~ Reefer Madness the Musical

DRSisLove Profile Photo
DRSisLove
#14re: Dirty Rotten Scoundrels Tour--Dallas Opening Night (Spoilers)
Posted: 10/5/06 at 4:08pm

Just to comment on "The Miracle", I'm pretty sure the actors came out from behind the set pieces for the final pose on Broadway.

Parks
#15re: Dirty Rotten Scoundrels Tour--Dallas Opening Night (Spoilers)
Posted: 10/5/06 at 5:29pm

Are you sure? I don't remember them ever coming from behind the set pieces...

About Norbert at the stagedoor--don't get me wrong, he was very nice. It's nice for him to simply COME OUT of the stagedoor. The fact he even took a picture with me and my friend was going the extra mile. I wasn't expecting anything more. He just seemed exhausted, of course. Tom Hewitt had a smile on his face the whole time though--that's the only difference. Again--Norbert was very nice--Tom just seemed...less exhausted?

I'm going to see the show again tomorrow night, so we'll see how it compares. Hopefully Norbert will take the show a little more serious tomorrow night (assuming he's in). I know he wasn't supposed to be in yesterday or today, but hopefully he'll return tomorrow. I need to call my mother and inform her about Norbert leaving next Sunday as opposed to the following Sunday.

I am a big fan of Norbert--I just didn't think Tuesday night was anywhere NEAR what he is capable of.

DRSisLove Profile Photo
DRSisLove
#16re: Dirty Rotten Scoundrels Tour--Dallas Opening Night (Spoilers)
Posted: 10/5/06 at 9:12pm

Yea, they all were behind the set pieces for "Du Du Du Du Du Du Du, Presetning Dr. Emele Shuffhausen" and then he said "One moment please" and then they the ensemble jumped out and when "AHHHH!"

That's sad that I can quote it that well...

emo_geek Profile Photo
emo_geek
#17re: Dirty Rotten Scoundrels Tour--Dallas Opening Night (Spoilers)
Posted: 10/5/06 at 10:10pm

Ya- In LA Norbet was tired at the Stagedoor, but he did something that made me respect him so much. After he was done at the stage door he exited through the lobby. He could have just gone straight through the lobby and gone home but instead he went out of his way to greet the fans. Many people at the pantages just go through the lobby and home...but it was nice that he didnt forget his fans,

"I never had theatre producers run after me. Some people want to make more Broadway shows out of movies. But Elliot and I aren't going to do Batman: The Musical." - Julie Taymor 1999

ACTlete676 Profile Photo
ACTlete676
#18re: Dirty Rotten Scoundrels Tour--Dallas Opening Night (Spoilers)
Posted: 10/5/06 at 10:18pm

She did have a brunette wig on Broadway

Who says blondes have more fun on the French Riviera?

Parks
#19re: Dirty Rotten Scoundrels Tour--Dallas Opening Night (Spoilers)
Posted: 10/5/06 at 11:03pm

Whether the wig is blonde or brunette, just get her a new one PLEASE!

How old is she? She looked a little bit older than Rachel York or Sherie.

Dre2387 Profile Photo
Dre2387
#20re: Dirty Rotten Scoundrels Tour--Dallas Opening Night (Spoilers)
Posted: 10/5/06 at 11:43pm

The chorus does come out of the set at that point that DRSisLove is talking about. and I think Laura Marie Duncan is about the same age as Sherie and Rachel.

-Dre-

~Curtains~

~A Tale of Two Cities ~

ACTlete676 Profile Photo
ACTlete676
#21re: Dirty Rotten Scoundrels Tour--Dallas Opening Night (Spoilers)
Posted: 10/6/06 at 10:15am

She looks older than Sherie???

Who says blondes have more fun on the French Riviera?

Taryn2 Profile Photo
Taryn2
#22re: Dirty Rotten Scoundrels Tour--Dallas Opening Night (Spoilers)
Posted: 10/6/06 at 1:27pm

I saw it in Houston, and agree with you for the most part. I thought it was lacking in energy. The Audiance was very small (It was a tuesday) so i wonder if the actors just didn't feel the need to try as hard.
The "bushes from tex" line had the audiance in stitches. huh.

We met Norbert at the stage door and he gave my group of friends his audiance and took a picture, then left. I don't think he signed anyone elses. He seemed amicable, but tired and a little akward.

"We're afraid to talk to you now, because anything we say causes you to burst into song." - My friends

mwoodard
#23re: Dirty Rotten Scoundrels Tour--Dallas Opening Night (Spoilers)
Posted: 10/6/06 at 7:00pm

I was at the show Tuesday night, but don't think we saw the same show. Maybe it was because we were sitting in different areas of the theater - it is a big place. Anyway, I thought Norbert did a fantastic job - in fact, to me, he was so energetic that you had to watch him in every scene he was in - no matter what else was going on. I also saw the show in NYC twice and don't think Norbert is giving any less on tour than he did there.

Tom Hewitt, on the other hand, left much to be desired as Lawrence, I thought. His accent kept going in and out, making it hard to understand his dialogue sometimes. The guy playing the police chief also had accent problems.

As for the Bush joke, from where I was sitting it was very successful. The whole lower floor erupted in laughter, myself included - and I'm a Republican! (Some of us do have a sense of humor...) Tom had to pause several seconds before he could continue with "and look what happened to him."

Just had to throw my 2 cents in. I didn't want someone to decide not to see the show based on your review, because I thought it was GREAT! I'm looking forward to seeing it again on Sunday.

greeneyed_one Profile Photo
greeneyed_one
#24re: Dirty Rotten Scoundrels Tour--Dallas Opening Night (Spoilers)
Posted: 10/6/06 at 7:48pm

I think I have asked this before (and have probably just forgotten the answer) but when is Norbert's last day? Thanks

Videos