pixeltracker

(More) Breaking News: SPIDER-MAN to Shut Down April 19 - May 11; Open June 14, 2011

(More) Breaking News: SPIDER-MAN to Shut Down April 19 - May 11; Open June 14, 2011

uncageg Profile Photo
uncageg
#2(More) Breaking News: SPIDER-MAN to Shut Down April 19 - May 11; Open June 14, 2011
Posted: 3/11/11 at 6:30pm

You're fast! I just saw it on the news.

Just give the world Love.

Vespertine1228 Profile Photo
Vespertine1228
#2(More) Breaking News: SPIDER-MAN to Shut Down April 19 - May 11; Open June 14, 2011
Posted: 3/11/11 at 6:31pm

The Tonys aren't going to be happy.

n2nbaby Profile Photo
n2nbaby
#3(More) Breaking News: SPIDER-MAN to Shut Down April 19 - May 11; Open June 14, 2011
Posted: 3/11/11 at 6:32pm

So this means it will be eligible?

Vespertine1228 Profile Photo
Vespertine1228
#4(More) Breaking News: SPIDER-MAN to Shut Down April 19 - May 11; Open June 14, 2011
Posted: 3/11/11 at 6:33pm

It's not eligible because it's not opening before the end of April, but it will take most of the press coverage for that weekend.

uncageg Profile Photo
uncageg
#5(More) Breaking News: SPIDER-MAN to Shut Down April 19 - May 11; Open June 14, 2011
Posted: 3/11/11 at 6:34pm

How will that work? If it is opening on June 14th, wouldn't it be reviewed, again, the week before? Doesn't a show have to be officially open to be eligible?

Just give the world Love.
Updated On: 3/11/11 at 06:34 PM

Marianne2 Profile Photo
Marianne2
#6(More) Breaking News: SPIDER-MAN to Shut Down April 19 - May 11; Open June 14, 2011
Posted: 3/11/11 at 6:35pm

Nope. It is shutting down right before the cutoff deadline, and it will not be officially open until after, making it ineligible.

Wait, isn't this Tony Tuesday for theatre? Or am I off a week?

"I don't want the pretty lights to come and get me."-Homecoming 2005 "You can't pray away the gay."-Callie Torres on Grey's Anatomy. Ignored Users: suestorm, N2N Nate., Owen22, master bates

Justin D Profile Photo
Justin D
#7(More) Breaking News: SPIDER-MAN to Shut Down April 19 - May 11; Open June 14, 2011
Posted: 3/11/11 at 6:38pm

I am disappointed that I will not now be able to see this on my trip, but at least if TM refunds me (and I am sure they will) I will probably try to catch Sister Act instead (since my only other free night would have been Sister Act's opening night.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/27199361@N08/ Phantom at the Royal Empire Theatre

WithoutATrace Profile Photo
WithoutATrace
#8(More) Breaking News: SPIDER-MAN to Shut Down April 19 - May 11; Open June 14, 2011
Posted: 3/11/11 at 6:39pm

Just got my ticket for April 17th (More) Breaking News: SPIDER-MAN to Shut Down April 19 - May 11; Open June 14, 2011

alliez92092 Profile Photo
alliez92092
#9(More) Breaking News: SPIDER-MAN to Shut Down April 19 - May 11; Open June 14, 2011
Posted: 3/11/11 at 6:39pm

Why not just close it now and give the actors a break? They're being forced to perform the same thing for the next month that isn't even going to be the final version. I get that they're trying to make as much money as they can, but it seems pointless.

themysteriousgrowl Profile Photo
themysteriousgrowl
#10(More) Breaking News: SPIDER-MAN to Shut Down April 19 - May 11; Open June 14, 2011
Posted: 3/11/11 at 6:40pm

Okay $65 million -- or $75 million or $85 million or whatever the hell the number is now -- is an enormously bitter pill for any producers to swallow.... but this show has got to run for years to recoup. Years. That's the inarguable math.

Running that long means it's gotta be a hit, which doesn't necessitate brilliance (or even terribly strong artistic merit), as evidenced by the myriad shows that are artistically questionable but have the verve, pizzazz, and mass appeal to fill houses week in and week out. But whether we're talking an artistic slam dunk or commercial home run, it'll require this show going from zero to hero in the space of weeks countable on two hands.

So while I understand that the producers have one eye on their pockets and one eye on their prize... I can't imagine what they think they're going to have up their sleeves come June that's worth the additional (very potentially lost) revenue that's gonna be required to re-work, re-rehearse, and re-mount this behemoth. The critical and popular consensus is that book tweaks and score re-organization aren't going to cut it, that it's going to take a ground-up creative overhaul.

Goodness gracious, what a mess, what a mess.

CHURCH DOOR TOUCAN GAY MARKETING PUPPIES MUSICAL THEATER STAPLES PERIOD OIL BITCHY SNARK HOLES

peachesr
#11(More) Breaking News: SPIDER-MAN to Shut Down April 19 - May 11; Open June 14, 2011
Posted: 3/11/11 at 6:48pm

It seems like such a short space of time to do so much work, so either there's a lot ready to go or they're not planning on restructuring the entire thing. Tony's are irrelevant anyway because didn't Julie say it wasn't a musical? Maybe it will become one with the new creative team! Or not.
Updated On: 3/11/11 at 06:48 PM

Jordan Catalano Profile Photo
Jordan Catalano
#12(More) Breaking News: SPIDER-MAN to Shut Down April 19 - May 11; Open June 14, 2011
Posted: 3/11/11 at 6:58pm

It seems like such a short amount of time because it is a short amount of time and certainly not ENOUGH time to address the shows major problems, being rewriting a completely new book and 80% of the score.

Elke Profile Photo
Elke
#13(More) Breaking News: SPIDER-MAN to Shut Down April 19 - May 11; Open June 14, 2011
Posted: 3/11/11 at 7:16pm

Re-opening two days after the Tony Awards ceremony... so that they can once again steal the thunder of other (actually running!) shows? Tsk, tsk...

Jordan Catalano
#14(More) Breaking News: SPIDER-MAN to Shut Down April 19 - May 11; Open June 14, 2011
Posted: 3/11/11 at 7:22pm

Besides all that, I certainly am not expecting the show to reopen on May 11th.

Katurian2 Profile Photo
Katurian2
#15(More) Breaking News: SPIDER-MAN to Shut Down April 19 - May 11; Open June 14, 2011
Posted: 3/11/11 at 7:33pm

I really don't think that they will just close without re-opening. And performing the show for the next few weeks as is without closing will give the writers and Bono a chance to get the actualy writing done so that when the show DOES go on hiatus, they can focus all the time on implementing those changes and not creating them.

I'm of the camp that the show IS salvageable with some more Peter/MJ and more Peter/Uncle Ben material. I'm happy that they are also replacing the Act 2 opener. Call me a sucker, but I'll be shelling out to see it again in June AFTER opening, with the hope they'll be some real alterations.

I do agree it's a bit underhanded to steal the Tony thunder though. You can bet that even in stories for the Tony awards, Spider-Man will be lurking in every second paragraph. I really don't see how they have a choice though. Waiting until July is just not an option- it's too far away.

"Are you sorry for civilization? I am sorry for it too." ~Coast of Utopia: Shipwreck

#16(More) Breaking News: SPIDER-MAN to Shut Down April 19 - May 11; Open June 14, 2011
Posted: 3/11/11 at 8:06pm

So... what will they do for us suckers that saw the show (and like me paid full price) in previews.... now there is going to be an ENTIRELY new show. We got SCREWED... I am beyond pissed.. I know... absolutely nothing...

Jordan Catalano
#17(More) Breaking News: SPIDER-MAN to Shut Down April 19 - May 11; Open June 14, 2011
Posted: 3/11/11 at 8:08pm

Why are you pissed? You got to see the trainwreck of all trainwrecks. For the rest of your life you can say you saw it. Be happy!

Katurian2 Profile Photo
Katurian2
#18(More) Breaking News: SPIDER-MAN to Shut Down April 19 - May 11; Open June 14, 2011
Posted: 3/11/11 at 8:09pm

You didn't get 'screwed.' We all (and especially those of us on this board) knew the show was in previews. That's just a risk you take. And since you read this board, you knew going in that it was a huge risk. If you're so pissed, just don't see it again.

"Are you sorry for civilization? I am sorry for it too." ~Coast of Utopia: Shipwreck

Taryn Profile Photo
Taryn
#19(More) Breaking News: SPIDER-MAN to Shut Down April 19 - May 11; Open June 14, 2011
Posted: 3/12/11 at 12:25am

Well, it definitely has to honor THIS opening date, because it's my birthday. I'm sure the producers will agree.

bwayphreak234 Profile Photo
bwayphreak234
#20(More) Breaking News: SPIDER-MAN to Shut Down April 19 - May 11; Open June 14, 2011
Posted: 3/12/11 at 12:36am

I'm with Katurian. Some of the changes the new creative team have already revealed are going to be very good for the show. There is no way every problem can get fixed, but I have no doubt the new team is going to do absolutely everything in their power to fix whatever they possibly can. I think things can only go uphill from here.

"There’s nothing quite like the power and the passion of Broadway music. "

thetinymagic2 Profile Photo
thetinymagic2
#21(More) Breaking News: SPIDER-MAN to Shut Down April 19 - May 11; Open June 14, 2011
Posted: 3/12/11 at 12:56am

This reminds me of those every present signs on restaurant windows, saying they're temporarily "closed for renovations" - 100% of these places never open up again. NOt saying this will happen, however.....

Addendum: BTW, does any one know if the staff, actors, musicians etc. have to be paid during the temp. closing? Union rules, etc?? I'm in a theatrical union myself, but can't really remember this ever happening, except for a stars' vacation or absence. I think everyone DID get paid. Not sure though.
Updated On: 3/12/11 at 12:56 AM

TheatreDiva90016 Profile Photo
TheatreDiva90016
#22(More) Breaking News: SPIDER-MAN to Shut Down April 19 - May 11; Open June 14, 2011
Posted: 3/12/11 at 1:01am

Why do I think there has been a new script already approved and they just had to get rid of Julie?

"TheatreDiva90016 - another good reason to frequent these boards less."<<>> “I hesitate to give this line of discussion the validation it so desperately craves by perpetuating it, but the light from logic is getting further and further away with your every successive post.” <<>> -whatever2

kyl3fong2 Profile Photo
kyl3fong2
#23(More) Breaking News: SPIDER-MAN to Shut Down April 19 - May 11; Open June 14, 2011
Posted: 3/12/11 at 3:13am

OMG! Thank GOD!! I had tickets for May 13 to see this show and they are returning from their hiatus May 11! So close! Luckily I will still get to see it!

dramamama611 Profile Photo
dramamama611
#24(More) Breaking News: SPIDER-MAN to Shut Down April 19 - May 11; Open June 14, 2011
Posted: 3/12/11 at 3:26am

Kyl3 -- I wouldnt' hold your breath over this one -- they certainly could (and have) delay yet again.

Theatrediva -- I couldn't agree with you more. Remember when the news first broke that the new writer had been hired, and that is was denied both by the producers AND Julie? He's been working on this sucker for a month already.

Will it change enough? Who knows. I don't even know if I'll shell out more more money to see it again -- but I am weak.

If we're not having fun, then why are we doing it? These are DISCUSSION boards, not mutual admiration boards. Discussion only occurs when we are willing to hear what others are thinking, regardless of whether it is alignment to our own thoughts.

Videos