News on your favorite shows, specials & more!

Profile for sylvesterbird

sylvesterbird Profile Photo
Member Name: sylvesterbird
Contact User: You must be logged in to contact BWW members.

Most Recent Message Board Posts:

View Off Topic Posts

Digital Rush Must See?
 Oct 10 2019, 12:15:39 PM

Add me to The Sound Inside praise. I saw it earlier this week and will definitely be going back. 

Marisa Tomei will lead THE ROSE TATTOO on Broadway This Fall
 Sep 16 2019, 02:32:28 AM

@NYfanfromCA, Messaged. 

Songs for a New World City Center Recording?
 Oct 28 2018, 09:39:57 PM

I was thrilled to hear that Ghostlight Records was going to record the City Center production of Songs for a New World back in August, but haven't heard anything since. Any news on when it's happening?

NYCC Grand Hotel
 Mar 22 2018, 06:53:38 PM

I appreciated how fully staged this production was, though especially for some of the more involved book scenes I felt like I could see/hear the actors thinking through their lines and blocking (kudos to everyone involved for somehow pulling this off!). Dvorovenko is a beautiful dancer and really quite a good singer, but I found her acting rather exaggerated and awkward, which I would blame more on the director. Snyder sounded absolutely phenomenal - the end of "Love Can't Happen&quo

ONCE ON THIS ISLAND (2017) Previews
 Nov 27 2017, 08:23:38 PM

I'm a little late to the discussion Blaxx, but I went in not knowing much about the show and found myself with similar misgivings as I was watching it. I love the score (it is also GORGEOUSLY orchestrated; a vast improvement over the original cast album in my opinion), the actors were phenomenal, and I found the staging and overall design really fun and interesting to watch. But as you said, the whole "girl throws life away for boy who treats her horribly" plot is problematic, a

Encores Golden Apple
 May 13 2017, 12:30:12 AM

I went in knowing next to nothing about the show, and absolutely loved it (although I echo all the suggestions to brush up on Illiad/Odyssey beforehand - even just a read-through of the wikipedia pages will help a lot in keeping a handle on what's happening plot-wise). Admittedly I am a huge fan of Copland and his style of American classical music, and I think much of the experience here is enjoying such a wonderful score sung by an incredibly-sounding cast. Oh what I would do for a recor

Selling ticket Babes in Toyland Carnegie Hall 4/27 $20 or B/O
 Apr 25 2017, 11:28:32 PM

Sent a PM

The Hairy Ape?
 Apr 8 2017, 05:09:29 PM

@VintageSnarker, I found The Hairy Ape a mediocre read, but this production is absolutely breathtaking. I echo all the great reviews - saw it this afternoon and was blown over. The design is really unlike anything playing at the moment, and Cannavale and the rest of the cast are fantastic. Please give it a chance and go see it!

OSLO Previews
 Apr 2 2017, 02:03:09 PM

Saw the show last night and thought it was fantastic. It's dense, but Rogers deserves a lot of credit for picking which moments to dig in and dramatize, and which moments to summarize and move on. The play is long, but I thought one intermission worked just fine, and the second act didn't feel that long, despite being significantly longer than the first. And as someone who knew almost nothing about the Oslo Accords, any initial confusion I had quickly went away as the play progressed.

THE GLASS MENAGERIE (2017) Reviews
 Mar 12 2017, 07:28:36 PM

I saw the production last night and came away deeply affected. It’s the first production of Glass Menagerie I’ve seen, which, judging from the reviews here, seems to be a good thing (or at least made for a much more satisfying night). Ultimately I think the production doesn’t work for a Broadway theatre, and at times felt like an experiment you might do for a workshop or school assignment…except with a killer cast. I agree with a lot of what Jesse Green wrote in his r

Come From Away Rush
 Mar 6 2017, 12:28:09 AM

My friend and I stopped by Saturday around 6 pm and got SRO tickets. I'd almost recommend them over the rush seats - the rush seats are so far to the side you miss out on some of the action on the sides and certain things that happen far upstage. 

Let The Right One In
 Jul 3 2014, 01:52:48 AM
I also had the opportunity to see it in London, and, not expecting too much going in, was blown away by it (in fact, I went back to see it again the next week). Both Martin Quinn and Rebecca Benson are PHENOMENAL, and I'll be interested to see what they do next. It's a gorgeous, creepy, magical production, and I am now solidly in the John Tiffany camp!
Drinking Game - Tony 2014 Edition!
 Jun 5 2014, 04:02:01 PM
Hosting a Tony's Viewing Party for the first time! Drinking game ideas?
The Light Princess
 Jan 28 2014, 07:23:24 PM
I saw it last week and while there are some elements which are truly magical (I cannot say enough about the team involved with keeping Rosalie afloat - ingenious and incredibly done!), my biggest issue was with Amos' score. There are a handful of very "musical theatre"-esque tunes, then what seems to be an attempt at a more dialogue-driven score, which at best was tuneless but gave you a little more plot and at worst seemed like notes randomly strung together to accompany the very cheesy lyrics.
PASSION - wow.
 Jun 3 2012, 11:08:04 PM
If I remember correctly, I think Sondheim actually addressed the issue of audience laughter when he talks about Passion in Look, I Made a Hat. Essentially, he said a lot of what's been mentioned above - that the audience felt uncomfortable and found Fosca almost repulsive as a character, someone who could never in "real life" cause Giorgio to fall in love with her. I don't remember the specifics, but he did mention adding a song during previews in order to more clearly reveal Giorgio's thoughts
BRING IT ON coming to Broadway this summer
 May 18 2012, 02:36:39 AM
Considering the talent attached to this show, I was fairly disappointed in it. The cheerleading choreography is amazing, but that's about it. Except for two brief rap sections, all the songs sounded like the same generic pop. The show definitely has the built-in audience for the movie, Lin-Manuel Miranda, and even Tom Kitt, but I don't see it becoming a huge hit.
Suggest another show (Bway or Off-Bway) for my last slot
 Mar 1 2012, 12:24:01 AM
DEFINITELY Once
Once on Broadway
 Mar 1 2012, 12:22:45 AM
Also saw the afternoon performance today and was blown away. My friend and I were visiting this week for Spring Break, and I am SO glad I caught it! I didn't like the film, but after reading all the buzz here I had to check it out. There is so much joy in the show, and it feels incredibly intimate, like you just happened to drop in on the cast (by the way, everyone is amazing). To me, the show does not revolve so much around the story of a guy and girl, but about the joy, healing, and fellowship
NYC on a student budget
 Feb 22 2012, 09:07:15 PM
Thanks so much for all the information! So does Once have rush tickets for previews? Or is the information posted only for when it opens?
NYC on a student budget
 Feb 22 2012, 02:33:36 PM
Hi all!

My friend and I will be visiting next week for spring break, and I would love any suggestions on how to see as many shows as possible on as tight a budget as possible. We've already bought tickets to Anything Goes through HipTix, and we're basically going to try to student rush every show we plan on seeing (by the way, how realistic of a possibility is this?). Are there any other lesser-known methods outside of the TKTS booth to get reduced tickets? And which shows (both broadwa

You must log in to view off-topic posts.

Videos

TICKET CENTRAL

Recommended For You