News on your favorite shows, specials & more!

Profile for lapinitsa

lapinitsa Profile Photo
Member Name: lapinitsa
Contact User: You must be logged in to contact BWW members.

Most Recent Message Board Posts:

View Off Topic Posts

HARMONY previews
 Oct 22 2023, 12:14:12 AM

Jordan Catalano said: "After the first preview it was insane. Everyone was waiting to see if Barry would come out (he did) but I imagine now it’ll be pretty tame."

I was there tonight and there was a larger than average crowd at the stage door and more than a few shrieks when those six handsome harmonists appeared.

And I loved the show. When the lights came up I don't think I ever saw so many tearful faces in a theater, mine included.

11 NEW MUSICALS - WOW
 Sep 17 2023, 07:09:08 PM

JSquared2 said: ".GUTTENBERGis a new musical -- no questions about it."

I was under the impression that the issue of licensing was determinative in these cases; if a show has been licensed and widely performed it is not deemed to be new and eligible for Best Musical. Is that not or no longer the case?

Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 9/10/23
 Sep 12 2023, 09:36:20 PM

ACL2006 said: "Can't remember what summer it was when Phantom, Chicago and Mamma Mia! all switched to having Thursday matinees. Only Phantom kept them after the summer. I think it all depends on the show and needed an older audience to sell these Thursday matinees to. HARMONY will have these once it opens. What other shows would benefit with a 4th matinee? Some Like It Hot? Hadestown?"

I also think the preference for matinees is another post-pandemic phenom

THE DEVIL WEARS PRADA musical headed to the UK and West End in 2024
 Sep 12 2023, 09:24:44 PM

ErmengardeStopSniveling said: "That is some crazy author billing on the website!"

Whoa! It sure is. I've never seen that done before.

Broadway during the Jewish High Holidays
 Aug 28 2023, 12:26:16 PM

jkcohen626 said: "Groban's father is Jewish, but converted to Christianity. I doubt Groban practices Judaism or even identifies as such. I think it's a similar deal for Arielle Jacobs.

If Parade, Funny Girl, Just For Us, and Leopoldstadt were still running, you'd definitley lose a lot of people. But, alas, none of them will be.

There's no way that Guttenberg would be starting performances the day before Rosh Hashannah if it would be a problem for

Favorite company cast
 Aug 27 2023, 07:11:53 PM

I totally agree with you, Jarethan, and you as well, Pethian, but I do believe the original brilliant set was by Boris Aronson.

"

2023-2024 Broadway Season
 Aug 26 2023, 11:27:44 AM

steve.sometime said: "There's already & Juliet and Moulin Rouge filling that pop spot. We don't need Broadway to be full of them. I'll take diversity any day."

Yes! And original scores!

Why is the specific theater important?
 Aug 21 2023, 03:53:14 PM

For me, as an audience member, it's comfort. I find most seats in  the Nederlander a misery, for example, but most seats in the Barrymore are just fine, For producers there are all sorts of other considerations especially relating to size of house and location.

Sondheim's Final Musical HERE WE ARE will premiere at The Shed this fall (No, really!)
 Aug 21 2023, 12:34:27 AM

MrBroucek said: "Interesting piece of information but do you know the date of it?

SJS said in september 2021 (on Colbert ) that they are working on Square One and they have just had a successful reading. He died December 21.

We know he was slow writer and we know the first act was completed, pre covid. I am hoping during covid they wrote a lot more of it and between the reading and his death he finished it - fingers crossed!

Didn't Sweeney go into

Sondheim's Final Musical HERE WE ARE will premiere at The Shed this fall (No, really!)
 Aug 18 2023, 11:26:17 PM

RippedMan said: "But I do wonder how the Shed of all places got this and not the Public or Playwrights where he has a history."

I've wondered about that too. The Public hosted the reading/lab, didn't they?

Aug 13 2023, 02:07:50 PM

I guess it is indicative of exactly how much of a bubble we are all in that after all the frenzy there are still lots of tickets for sale for this while down at The Public, Hell's Kitchen--which we're barely talking about at all--is nearly sold out, with only a handful of tickets available (in ones and twos mostly) for an even smaller handful of performances that are not yet sold out.

Forgotten Musicals
 Aug 13 2023, 01:50:41 PM

Shaiman and Wittman's "Livin' Dolls"

Nah.
 Aug 12 2023, 01:08:35 AM

I don't think the problem with Camelot was Sher. Or Sorkin for that matter. The problem with Camelot was...Camelot.

THE SHARK IS BROKEN Reviews
 Aug 10 2023, 11:34:22 PM

NYT:

https://www.nytimes.com/2023/08/10/theater/the-shark-is-broken-review.html

Water for Elephants at the Alliance Theatre - Has Anyone Seen?
 Aug 10 2023, 02:43:50 PM

jagman1062 said: "pethian said: "willep said: "For what it’s worth, I just got an Instagram ad that said “Water for Elephants is coming to Broadway!”"

Any details at all?
"

I also got an IG but there were no specific details. It only gave me the opportunity to join an email list for future announcements and a link to the show's website.
"

Same here. I received the announcement also. I

Seeking Recommendations. Best Set?
 Aug 9 2023, 07:27:24 PM

Mr. Wormwood said: "I haven't seen HLL or BTTF but have read the same things. I think the set for Some Like It Hot is underrated and very strong. I think it should have won over NYNY at the Tonys. Sweeney Todd is a big production design too though the set itself is somewhat simplistic.

And if you didn't see it pre-covid and are looking for glitz and glamour, Moulin Rouge should be on the list.
"

We've seen all of them and I agree that Moulin Rou

Whatever became of?..,
 Aug 9 2023, 07:23:23 PM

Chaz Hands said: "It’s always fascinating to me how many shows have out of town tryouts, and then seemingly disappear forever..."

Every step of the process--reading, workshop, OOT-- can be the dead end for a show. i have such respect for shows and their creators that survive the gauntlet and persist over the years.

THE SHARK IS BROKEN Previews
 Aug 9 2023, 07:15:20 PM

GiantsInTheSky2 said: "Today is the day I learned that some people have never seen Jaws."

I'd laugh but the revelation made me feel sad, i.e. old.

What's Next for the Imperial?
 Aug 5 2023, 06:37:52 PM

Chaz Hands said: "Interesting. I would be SHOCKED if it is Karate Kid or Water for Elephants. My new guesses are The Heart of Rock n Roll, Joy, or Kiss My Aztec.

Pure guesses haha
"

Don't know how big a show the Huey Lewis piece is but I think the Imperial is too large for Joy or Aztec.

I'll guess The Outsiders. which fits the OP's description of the show having had a successful OOT experience.

Your favorite Broadway show based on a movie?
 Aug 5 2023, 11:02:21 AM

A Little Night Music

You must log in to view off-topic posts.

Videos

TICKET CENTRAL

Recommended For You