News on your favorite shows, specials & more!

Profile for Essie4

Essie4 Profile Photo
Member Name: Essie4
Contact User: You must be logged in to contact BWW members.

Most Recent Message Board Posts:

View Off Topic Posts

Hunchback at La Jolla and Papermill Songs
 Oct 14 2014, 07:00:22 PM
^^Absolutely not. The chorus will be performing live at every show.
Actors Breaking Character
 Oct 14 2014, 12:32:14 AM
Bwaydide92, I couldn't have said it better myself. Speaking from the point-of-view of someone who rarely has enough money to watch a show, much less one on Broadway, I would feel extremely cheated if the actors on the stage started to have a giggle fit and brushed it off as if it's the cutest thing ever. Of course they're human, and of course there will be mishaps, but they should be able to handle the situation with as much professionalism as possible.

A lot of people have already said

Oct 14 2014, 12:12:34 AM
Whether or not this is a success has less to do with what reviews it gets and more to do with marketing and whether enough people are interested in the title. Disney has always had the children's market to rely on and they won't have that crutch with this show.

Consider this: it doesn't even have the Disney logo on either of the out-of-town posters. It's not a family show; they'll have a more difficult time marketing this than any other animated film adaptation they've done.

Oct 13 2014, 09:14:17 PM
Well, I'm just speculating, dreaming. =) They keep hammering the idea that it will be a dark show, so I keep thinking they'll just cut any upbeat songs, but who knows?
 Oct 13 2014, 08:18:54 PM
^Of course! Most of the songs from the movie will be included. If anything, I think that A Guy Like You and Court of Miracles will be cut.
 Oct 13 2014, 06:12:34 PM

Oct 13 2014, 05:53:45 PM
The song "Esmeralda" has already been confirmed. The others I believe are shoe-ins are "Made of Stone" and "Someday". The rest might be on shaky ground.
Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 8/17/14
 Aug 18 2014, 04:18:40 PM
^^Who's to say Gentleman's Guide wouldn't gross $1 million if it were in a bigger house than the Walter Kerr? It's grossing over its gross potential, so it's not like it's doing poorly.
Now that tickets for HUNCHBACK are being sold...
 Aug 3 2014, 09:11:13 PM
Dreaming, it looks like the choral ensemble will have rehearsals in late August. http://sacraprofana.org/auditions/
Vacant houses as of fall?
 Jul 31 2014, 07:24:15 PM
The Schwartz/Menken collaboration could be a great selling point. Schwartz hasn't been too confident in HoND going to Broadway in the past. I remember him saying that if Disney ever brought the stage adaptation to the US, it would only be regional. Keep in mind that this was a good four years ago.

I do hope it happens, though. The score is absolutely gorgeous and my favorite out of any Disney film.

Jul 31 2014, 06:52:13 PM
First of all, thanks Yero and Nateben for replying.

I definitely understand that Disney usually goes with the "licencing" thing for most of their developing shows, but didn't they only decide to bring NEWSIES to Broadway after spectacular Paper Mill sales? And they don't seem in too much of a hurry to bring Jungle Book either.

I guess I just find it strange they would have a theatre in mind before they even know how it sells. I suppose it's always good to plan ahead in case it

Jul 31 2014, 05:23:02 PM
I don't doubt you have your sources, Fame, but it's quite odd that they would have a theatre picked out for something that Disney seems very lukewarm about. Last they announced, they were staging Hunchback for licencing purposes. Has that thought process changed?
Who was/is playing Pheobus in Hunchback?
 Jun 24 2014, 12:38:43 AM
eatlasagna- I think I remember hearing that rehearsals would start in August. I wish you the best of luck!

Nateben2- Is 32 considered to be on the large side for a musical? I know that this isn't really getting developed for Broadway, but if they decided to bring it over, they'd be spending around $60,000 a week for the chorus alone, correct?

Who was/is playing Pheobus in Hunchback?
 Jun 23 2014, 05:09:43 PM
Eatlasagna -- congrats!

Hmm, I wonder how much people out of the 32 will perform each night?

Were you hired for La Jolla or Paper Mill? Please, do keep us updated. :)

Hunchback
 Jun 19 2014, 01:22:53 AM
Confused about what?

I don't think that we know for sure if Disney will bring Hunchback to Broadway. If they do, I doubt it will be next season as they'll be having a try-out in spring at the Paper Mill.

It depends on your tastes if Aladdin is "worth it". If you like high camp/pantomime/pop culture references and you liked the film, you may enjoy it.

oh man, i miss drew sarich
 Jun 15 2014, 07:43:41 PM
I just saw him in a bootleg of Der Glöckner von Notre Dame (Disney's Hunchback) and he was brilliant as Quasimodo. Not to mention those insane ending notes he had to hit for Wie aus Stein/Made of Stone! I remember Stephen Schwartz saying that Sarich was one of his favorite parts from the musical.

Hope he gets a chance to perform stateside again.

What show should I take an age group 13-18 to see for first broadway show?
 Jun 9 2014, 04:21:16 PM
Most have already endorsed Pippin...not sure what else you want us to say. Pippin should be pretty easy to get good seats to. Disney musicals not so much. Plus they'll be around for years and I don't see Pippin having that sort of longevity. Your kids will have watched something dazzling, new, and unique if you pick Pippin.

It seems that you're adamant about seeing something by Disney so what can I say? Do what you want. Hope you guys have fun regardless of what show you choose. =)

Jun 6 2014, 02:37:24 PM
Yeah, I think Pippin may be your best bet, then. You can probably get great seats to it so that's a plus.

I may also point out that it would be better to take them to a non long running show. Keep in mind that shows like Pippen/Matilda won't be around forever, whereas stuff like Wicked/Phantom will be around for years to come and can be put off to a later date.

Jun 6 2014, 01:56:31 AM
Speaking for myself, when I was a teenager, I would have rolled my eyes at the prospect watching something adapted from a movie as campy as Aladdin.

Matilda may have a bunch of children on stage, but it is completely enjoyable to any age group. In fact, I'd argue that anyone can enjoy it EXCEPT for very small children as it has its moments where it goes dark. I personally love the show and don't think it's "childish" at all. The set, performances, and choreography are amazing.

You must log in to view off-topic posts.

Videos

TICKET CENTRAL

Recommended For You