News on your favorite shows, specials & more!

Profile for chrishuyen

Member Name: chrishuyen
Contact User: You must be logged in to contact BWW members.

Most Recent Message Board Posts:

View Off Topic Posts

'CATS: The Jellicle Ball' at PAC reviews
 Jun 22 2024, 09:45:14 AM

It is kind of annoying how much the "Cats is bad" discourse has grown in the past few years for the general public who may have not even seen Cats (though of course it wasn't helped by the movie), but if anything I find it more impressive that those who hated Cats to begin with were able to enjoy the show so much. As for musical theater snobs, I feel like that's practically in the job description of being a critic ;) 

Life and Trust (from the Sleep No More producers)
 Jun 21 2024, 07:56:48 PM

blaxx said: "chrishuyen said: "Someone I know mentioned they felt like they fixed some of the problems with Sleep No More, namely having wider hallways/stairs and that the space is huge. From online chatter it seems like the story may be a lot more loosely involved, and at least one person complained about being in dead zones too much with not being able to figure out where things were happening. I think they're doing a "preview" period, so this might be someth

Jun 21 2024, 06:30:19 PM

Honestly the conversion that the Broadway Theatre did for Here Lies Love would've lined up fairly nicely (just add another row of seats where the side stages were) even if the rear mezz was a bit far, but alas 

BROADWAY DISCOUNTS
 Jun 21 2024, 03:17:42 PM

Just got this email:

As a valued member of the JOB community, we are pleased to extend you a SUMMER FRIDAY SPECIAL. Today only, you can save up to $30 per ticket on preview performances. Simply use code JOB24 at checkout.

Life and Trust (from the Sleep No More producers)
 Jun 21 2024, 01:37:08 PM

Someone I know mentioned they felt like they fixed some of the problems with Sleep No More, namely having wider hallways/stairs and that the space is huge.  From online chatter it seems like the story may be a lot more loosely involved, and at least one person complained about being in dead zones too much with not being able to figure out where things were happening.  I think they're doing a "preview" period, so this might be something that gets fixed over time too.&nb

FOLLIES at Carnegie Hall
 Jun 21 2024, 01:02:21 AM

I don't know if it's just where I was sitting (dress circle center), but I thought the orchestra was pretty rough at times.  Some of the soloists sounded a little weak, there were songs when they seemed almost completely off the beat from the singer, and a certain lack of fullness, especially when the orchestration was less sparse.  I don't know if it was the acoustics, the conductor, or lack of rehearsal time, but something seemed a bit off.

That said, there were

Spring awakening is cooked
 Jun 20 2024, 01:57:41 AM

I'm confused and I'm genuinely curious--you mention that a huge part of Spring Awakening is the consequences of withholding information from kids and yet you claim that it's no longer relevant.  Did you not see the big dustup of schools teaching critical race theory?  Of schools banning books they might think are too "perverse"?  Of schools (and even whole societies in the US) picking and choosing the history they want to tell?  There are so many them

Eureka Day cast
 Jun 18 2024, 03:28:13 PM

Has Thomas Middleditch done stage work before?  I really enjoyed his performance in Silicon Valley and I'm pretty excited to see how he does.

The 77th Annual TONY Awards Performances
 Jun 18 2024, 03:13:31 PM

If you're not in the US it's possible they could've restricted it to a specific region, in which case I'd suggest trying a VPN

The 77th Annual TONY Awards Performances
 Jun 18 2024, 02:03:06 PM

They're all in this CBS playlist on Youtube here: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLBS34APvqtnHJO07pgZv5Z4sGycqnWmgb

The Tony Awards channel also has some extras like interviews with the winners right after they accept their award

Titanic at City Center
 Jun 18 2024, 01:51:41 PM

I thought this was great on Sunday.  Beautifully sung (and I hope we somehow get a recording out of this) and very simply staged.  I think it could've been more effective with a more expansive staging but I get that that wasn't the point.  Of course if I were to really think about it, there would be characters I'd cut/areas I'd trim down, but I love the score so I thought it was fun to just settle into it and let the events play out.  Either way, I still go

SWEPT AWAY transferring to Broadway this fall
 Jun 18 2024, 01:35:49 PM

Opening night is November 19

Tony Award Viewership Decline Over the Years
 Jun 18 2024, 12:04:50 PM

I think we need to go back to finding a reason for people to tune in live.  I live in NYC and see most of the Broadway shows and I enjoy the predictions game and also just seeing the Tonys at a watch party with other people.  But most people (even if they're theater fans) aren't like that.  Like some have mentioned in this thread, a lot of people will just catch the performances afterwards on Youtube.  So the thing that would make people tune in is probably more of

Sally and Tom
 Jun 17 2024, 11:43:18 PM

Not that there's a lot, but here's an earlier thread: https://forum.broadwayworld.com/readmessage.php?thread=1158435

2024 Tony Awards
 Jun 17 2024, 02:45:07 PM

I do think Gatsby will continue to run for as long as Jeremy/Eva are in it.  BTTF grosses have softened a bit but it's still doing pretty well and I don't think the lack of Tonys will impact their audience that much, so I think it'll at least run through the end of the year but also probably longer.

I'd put Water for Elephants in more danger than Suffs simply because of how much their weekly running costs are (though I don't know how much it is for Suffs), but

2024 Tony Awards
 Jun 17 2024, 10:49:15 AM

re: the Alicia Key/Jay Z performance
I feel like there are two kinds of Tony Awards--those that are looked at years down the line to get a sense of the show and those that are meant more to spark buzz in the here and now--and this was definitely the latter.  I agree that it could have possibly enticed non-theater goers to check out parts of the Tonys (or at least the Hell's Kitchen performance) and it certainly ensured this Tonys ceremony would be talked about, and they 

2024 Tony Awards
 Jun 16 2024, 07:14:09 PM

I saw it a bit more as a body of work win and I suppose for all the times he's reorchestrated Merrily lol 

Jun 16 2024, 12:34:17 PM

There's a beats arranger but no orchestrator credited.  It didn't seem like there were big changes in orchestration, though a lot of it is carried out by synthesizers now (instrumentation is 3 keyboards, 2 reeds, electric bass, drums, and guitars, plus a DJ who's in the seating area, like Here Lies Love)

2024 Tony Awards
 Jun 16 2024, 12:26:02 AM

If anything I wonder if Suffs/Outsiders would split the "non-jukebox" vote which would lead to HK winning after all.

Meanwhile I'm now flip-flopping between Mendez and Lewis for Featured Actress.  The Vulture article mentions voters were invited back to Merrily in May so that could pave over any possible disgruntlement from Mendez's absences earlier on, but I also don't know how much HK has been campaigning for Lewis specifically.  (I know Neuwirth is st

Jun 15 2024, 11:54:13 PM

Yep there are programs!  They also list the characters according to "Ballroom family tree" which was fun to see.  I was a little sad they didn't do Playbills (since the Pride banner would've been perfect for this show but alas).  Not all of the ushers seemed to have programs, so if you don't get one just be sure to ask (they got us some pretty quickly after that).

You must log in to view off-topic posts.

Videos

TICKET CENTRAL

Recommended For You