News on your favorite shows, specials & more!

Profile for chrishuyen

Member Name: chrishuyen
Contact User: You must be logged in to contact BWW members.

Most Recent Message Board Posts:

View Off Topic Posts

My Fair Lady - Seefestspiele Mörbisch, Austria
 Jul 24 2024, 02:32:28 PM

Just saw the clips from this production that's setting the show in contemporary London and it looks crazy, though I'm not sure I fully buy into the premise without seeing it.  Is anyone going that would be able to report back?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iUY7xTcxSIA

Soft Power musical
 Jul 24 2024, 10:38:23 AM

Studio video of I'm With Her from the Signature production: https://www.broadwayworld.com/article/Exclusive-Im-With-Her-from-Signature-Theatres-Revised-SOFT-POWER-20240724

It's interesting that they've decided to go with a full Asian cast, including Grace Yoo as Hilary Clinton

Laurie Beechman Theatre & West Bank Cafe to close
 Jul 23 2024, 02:04:26 PM

Even if this Gofundme succeeds, what's to stop something like this from happening again?  They would need to change their business model or make some significant shifts to prove that they can actually sustain a business in the space.

I don't know how much money it brought in, but when Broadway Sessions was there I used to go every other week, but otherwise I probably wouldn't even have known about it since it's fairly out of the way and hasn't seemed to have an

Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 7/21/24
 Jul 23 2024, 01:57:32 PM

Job's numbers are pretty soft but they managed full capacity so they're probably hoping for word of mouth to help pick it up (from people I've talked to, there seems to be a lot of intrigue around the show so we'll see how it ends up doing).

Michael R. Jackson & Anna K. Jacobs' TEETH Musical at Playwrights Horizons (Winter 2024)
 Jul 19 2024, 01:53:22 PM

I really enjoyed this on stage despite how flawed it was (I saw an early preview too), but the cast album just falls kind of flat for me.  I wonder if these are going to be the "frozen" editions of the songs for the NWS run or if they would still be changing things up.  Maybe it's just a show that needs the performances to go along with the songs.

Complete CAROUSEL cast recording on its way
 Jul 19 2024, 12:02:09 PM

Two tracks are out, Entr'acte and You'll Never Walk Alone

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=OLAK5uy_n-GgWmrixbc3-pYrIobKqI9esmIwx8S9E

Favorite spots for Pre-Broadway Drinks/Dinner
 Jul 18 2024, 01:32:00 PM

Broadway Flash said: "Has anyone ever gone to FrikiTiki? How is it?It looks like it’s owned by the head of seaview."

I enjoyed it there, the piano player is fun and has a great rapport with the audience (I dont' remember which one since I think there's multiple) and it's just a good vibe throughout, though a bit loud if you want to actually have conversation.  I wasn't obsessed with any of their specialty cocktails but they weren't bad,

The Greatest Showman - Broadway next?
 Jul 17 2024, 12:23:19 PM

I don't know that this is screaming Broadway to me (though the producers might disagree), but based on the description it seems to be more of a circus show that just licenses the Greatest Showman score and integrates that into a new show.  It feels like it would probably aim for one of the more modular off Broadway spaces if anything, though I guess we'll see how this turns out.

JOB Previews
 Jul 17 2024, 12:14:59 PM

Oh I'm definitely planning on going again because I feel it would play different a second time.  But I also work in a somewhat related field as the topic of this play so maybe it hit harder for me.

Broadway Real Estate 2024-25
 Jul 16 2024, 12:09:09 PM

Sauja said: "With so many shows incoming, I'm surprised we haven't heard anything about what's following The Wiz into the Marquis. I know that it's no one's favorite theater, but are there ANY rumors around what might take it?"

The rumor that's been floating around is Elf for a holiday engagement

Michael R. Jackson & Anna K. Jacobs' TEETH Musical at Playwrights Horizons (Winter 2024)
 Jul 12 2024, 01:46:01 PM

Tickets for the New World Stages production go on sale July 26 with fan presale July 24.  The BWW press release says it opens on October 31, but I was unclear if that meant first performance or the press opening.

edit: Just saw on Playbill that the first performance is October 16

NYT: New York Moves to Clean Up Times Square After a Spate of Crimes
 Jul 12 2024, 01:42:39 PM

Just to be clear, this is a very recent thread that's gotten a lot of discussion, but it seems it's fallen to the BWW bug of saying it's from 1999

Muhammad ALI musical to premiere in Chicago spring 2025
 Jul 10 2024, 11:43:18 AM

Rich and Tone worked a lot with Michael Jackson choreography (and got a co-credit on MJ), so that's exciting!

'CATS: The Jellicle Ball' at PAC reviews
 Jul 8 2024, 01:44:23 PM

It's still very much a musical and the songs feel like they almost make more sense because of the different story they're telling.  The score feels very much integrated into the new concept and things like Memory in particular are still used to really give the character a chance to shine and tell their story. 

Broadway Real Estate 2024-25
 Jul 8 2024, 11:00:54 AM

I'd build in room for both Stereophonic and Oh Mary (depending on Escola's availability) to extend.  Of course, I doubt Oh Mary would extend all the way to April, but I think it could go well into the fall if it catches on as well as it did off Broadway.  Stereophonic we'll have to see once the summer settles down and we get into the fall slump but I wouldn't rule it out.

Notebook I'm guessing remains open until January at the latest, but my bet is also th

Rank 10 Broadway Musicals About American History
 Jul 7 2024, 01:22:39 AM

fwiw I don't know how many people who voted have actually seen/are familiar with all 10 shows (I'll admit I'm not), so I did tend to rank the ones I know well ahead of the others and I'm sure others did too.

NYT: New York Moves to Clean Up Times Square After a Spate of Crimes
 Jul 6 2024, 04:25:14 PM

I mean the thing is that feeling safe is a personal perception.  Some of the things we see on the streets are not inherently dangerous or violent or an indication of criminal activity, but people who aren't used to cities may not feel safe witnessing it.  Perhaps it's an indication of their insular life, or maybe it's racism/xenophobia, but if they don't feel safe they wouldn't want to come to NYC again (and may spread the word that NYC isn'

Merrily We Roll Along Proshot
 Jul 5 2024, 01:42:55 PM

Based on absolutely nothing, I feel like this will come out sooner rather than later since the buzz is still pretty high and the show is closing this week.  So my guess would be within the next year or two.

I thought I heard rumblings of a theater release, but not sure if that was a substantiated rumor or just general speculation.

Horror On Broadway?
 Jul 3 2024, 03:16:13 PM

hearthemsing22 said: "I saw the woman in black and left at the interval. As much as I love horror and things in that vein, having her walk around the audience was too much for me!"

Too much as in too scary or too cheesy? 

I didn't see it but would the infamous 1984 play be considered horror or was it just extremely graphic?

Horror On Broadway?
 Jul 3 2024, 03:09:33 PM

It probably won't make it to Broadway, but I really enjoyed 2:22 which was pretty well received in the West End but flopped in LA.  The Woman in Black at the McKittrick a few years ago I thought was quite well done too.  I'm not sure how much of a thriller American Psycho was but it seems to be a show that has a subset of people who feel strongly about it (and I know it changed a bunch between London and NYC).

I think maybe this kind of thriller/psychological horror m

You must log in to view off-topic posts.

Videos

TICKET CENTRAL

Recommended For You