News on your favorite shows, specials & more!

Profile for chrishuyen

Member Name: chrishuyen
Contact User: You must be logged in to contact BWW members.

Most Recent Message Board Posts:

View Off Topic Posts

Article: OPERATION MINCEMEAT... plots its course to New York  May 8 2024, 01:55:14 PM

They price by day on the West End, so Monday tickets are the cheapest (about $50 USD for all seats) and they go up from there as the week goes on.  It would be SUPER interesting if they managed to make that work for Broadway, but I doubt it.  Though if you "normalize" each ticket band across the full week, you get tickets from $50-$112 and if you add premium seats on top of that, then that's probably around the normal ticket pricing for a Broadway show.

Article: OPERATION MINCEMEAT... plots its course to New York  May 8 2024, 01:24:46 PM

I've never really understood the assertion that the show is too British.  What wouldn't you know if you're American that would be crucial to understanding the show?  We see so many WWII movies (a lot based around the British side of events) and they do just fine at the box office (I'm aware that movies and Broadway are different beasts but still) and there's not any cultural knowledge I can think of that you'd need to know to follow the story (maybe just know

Dave Malloy's THREE HOUSES at Signature  May 8 2024, 12:56:10 AM

Saw this tonight and it's one of those shows I feel like I was a little lost for most of it but just went along for the ride and fully enjoyed it.  Annie Tippe came out before the show just to say thanks for coming and that they're implementing changes every day so I'd definitely want to come again once the show is frozen to see what they landed on.

The music had a lot of Great Comet tinges in some of the melodies (particularly the Natasha songs) and also the elec

The Public announces 2024-2025 Season including Gatz, Sumo, premieres, and more  May 8 2024, 12:37:15 AM

I've heard great things about Gatz but I'm kind of confused by the format.  Like it's 6.5 hours so I can't imagine they actually expect you to sit there for the whole thing.  Are there intermissions? Are people just walking in and out at will?  How does it even work?

Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 5/5/24  May 7 2024, 01:41:18 PM

Cabaret marks another time where critics seemed to diverge from word of mouth, and it had a lot of momentum from the London production and still managed to rack up a good number of Tony nominations.  Also, most people probably bought their tickets months ago and I doubt that a few critics would stop them from going (especially since word of mouth is still fairly strong and there seems to be a sort of anti-critic movement on social media, which I suppose is working better for a show like

STEREOPHONIC Opening Night Critics’ Reviews  May 7 2024, 11:44:26 AM

It was nice that they kept the soundboard/recording studio in how they did the Fallon performance, to kind of give more of an idea of how it's done in the show.  Though I did find it amusing how in the comments it seemed like a lot of people thought it was a new indie band on the scene, despite all the mentions of Broadway.

Dancin vs Illinoise  May 7 2024, 11:33:18 AM

I think the other part it comes down to is that tourists may not know or care about Bob Fosse as much anymore, and that was basically the main appeal of Dancin', especially when there was no storyline or stars or anything (and I think this revival also got fairly middling reviews from critics).  Illinoise does have a storyline, is based around a fairly successful album, and has Sufjan Stevens's name attached (who has quite a number of fans), and to a slightly lesser degree, Justi

ILLINOISE Reviews  May 6 2024, 05:13:14 PM

If anything, Illinoise has an actual storyline so I'd say that puts it closer to the "standard" definition of a musical than other revues like Fosse or Jerome Robbins' Broadway (both of which won for Best Musical).  A musical story is told through singing and dancing, and while the dancing is more in focus than other musicals, all the same elements are there.

It's fine to not like the show or say that it wasn't what you expected for a "musical",

OH MARY! Officially Transferring to Lyceum Theatre this Summer - 12 Weeks  May 6 2024, 02:18:48 PM

On Telecharge it looks like the box office opens June 5

2024 Pulitzer Prize Predictions  May 6 2024, 11:51:02 AM

I believe the eligibility deadline is the calendar year, so The Ally would be eligible next year

77th Tony Awards Performance Predictions  May 6 2024, 11:09:58 AM

The ratings ARE usually pretty dismal but a Tony performance can live on past the telecast and catch on online.  And while shows also do numbers on talk shows and such, usually it's not with full costume and set behind them, and I think there's probably also a certain perception of prestige for just having performed on the Tony Awards.  Some people may not watch the awards themselves but would go down the list of performances just to see if any of them pique their interest.<

THE GREAT GATSBY Opening Night Critics’ Reviews  May 5 2024, 05:01:20 PM

Honestly the best way to enjoy the show is just to forget everything you know about Gatsby and just imagine you're going into a campy melodrama with 1920s escapism.

Any luck moving to a closer, empty seat once you’re in the theatre?  May 5 2024, 05:00:11 PM

For scouting unsold seats online, usually I think box offices pull their online sales around 30 minutes before a show so you wouldn't be able to view it anymore, and there's always a chance one of those seats could've been sold anyway (I've definitely rushed shows within 10 minutes of the start time)

re: What Times Square Area Buildings Use To Be Theaters?  May 5 2024, 12:09:45 AM

bigbelterbaby said "The Shed and Stage 42 could have legitimate use if they wanted too, although their locations are not in the theatre district."

I think Stage 42 purposely decided not to be a Broadway theater since they have 499 seats (one short of the eligibility for Broadway), though seeing as they haven't had a successful commercial production there recently, I wonder if they would again consider turning it into a Broadway house since there seems to be a dearth of more intimate theaters on Broadway.  Then again, it seems like commercial off-Broadway has had a resurgence lately so maybe they'll be able to find a tenant that could stick around.

For reference, Wikipedia mentions this in reference to it becoming a Broadway theater: In 2011, theater producers speculated that Stage 42 might become a Tony-eligible Broadway house by the addition of one seat to bring it to the 500 seat minimum required for Tony eligibility; this has not happened, as going to 500 seats would require negotiating new contracts with the unions, raising costs further.

I'm also doubtful The Shed would want to join the ranks of Broadway, though it's still fairly new so we'll see how their programming goes in the coming years.

Any luck moving to a closer, empty seat once you’re in the theatre?  May 5 2024, 12:01:09 AM

Like others have said, intermission is the best time to move.  Especially if you're somewhere like a box seat or side mezz, it can be easy to spot empty seats leading up to intermission and set a goal of moving there.  If it's a seat in your row and you could just scoot down to it, I'd recommend waiting until AT LEAST after the opening number, if not after the second or third songs.  (Sometimes shows will claim they have a no late seating policy and still seat peopl

Where were your RUSH seats for these shows (and would you advise for or against them)?  May 4 2024, 11:57:44 PM

Friend who rushed recently got side orchestra row G for Appropriate (on a Sunday, showed up over an hour early but was the only one there for a bit and people didn't really start coming til half hour before) and side orchestra around row E for Gatsby (showed up an hour and 40 minutes early and there was already a decent sized line).  She said the view was fine for both shows but did feel like Gatsby would've played better from a slightly more central seat but it was worth the rus

The Official TDF Thread  May 4 2024, 11:49:13 PM

My seats for Tommy were fine, mezz right row E, could see everything well (though it did feel like some things were blocked for people sitting in the center as sometimes people standing on either side of the center divide would block other people but it didn't really hinder anything for me.

STEREOPHONIC Opening Night Critics’ Reviews  May 3 2024, 02:46:27 PM

Stereophonic is not in the Book category because it's a play

NY City Center Encores 2024 season: ONCE UPON A MATTRESS with Sutton Foster (adapted by Amy Sherman-Palladino), JELLY'S LAST JAM, and TITANIC  May 2 2024, 02:14:31 PM

I don't think I saw an announcement, but on the City Center website, it looks like Conrad Ricamora has been replaced with Jose Llana, I'm guessing due to Oh Mary! transferring (but it's also just funny)

The 77th Annual Tony Award Nominations for 2024  May 2 2024, 01:23:12 PM

Vulture: Two Tony Voters Dissect This Year’s Ballot

This was posted in another thread (can't remember which one now), and I found it interesting that they seemed to have opinions that matched the people on this board a bit more, particularly around Hell's Kitchen.

You must log in to view off-topic posts.

Videos

TICKET CENTRAL

Recommended For You