News on your favorite shows, specials & more!

Profile for One NYC StageHand

Member Name: One NYC StageHand
Contact User: You must be logged in to contact BWW members.

Most Recent Message Board Posts:

View Off Topic Posts

League Cancels Thanksgiving
 Nov 19 2007, 12:20:38 AM
November 19, 2007
Stagehands and Producers Break Off Talks

By CAMPBELL ROBERTSON
The latest round of talks between the producers’ league and the stagehands’ union broke down last night, leaving no end in sight for the strike that has darkened most of Broadway for nine days.

Soon after the breakdown, the League of American Theaters and Producers announced that it was canceling performances of the 27 shows affected by the strike through Sunday.

No further

re: Broadway strike leaves some N.J. professionals in the cold
 Nov 18 2007, 09:58:59 PM
"I believe this strike is hurting thousands of people for the sake of a few unnecessary rules that could be adjusted by fair people."
As a Broadway stagehand, I concur. And that is the position of Local One. We felt that adjustments could be made and a fair exchange achieved. So far a fair exchange has not been achieved and thus the dispute continues.
Contrast the public statements of the League with the statements of Local One. Compare the actions of the League and the actions of Local

re: Ny Times: says chief carpenter makes $8,000. per week!
 Nov 17 2007, 10:45:22 PM
This statement is symptomatic of a larger problem commonly found those who either spout or listen to hyperbole. They suffer fools gladly. The only bigger a--hole is an a--hole who argues with an a--hole. I would expect a little greater factual accuracy from the NYTimes but then perhaps the editor accompanied the reporter on the round of barhopping.

Perhaps since Mr. Allen has put his oar into the topic, is it now appropriate for the rest of us to ask just how well his workers are paid?

re: THE STRIKE 101 -- WHAT THEY ARE FIGHTING ABOUT
 Nov 14 2007, 03:51:14 PM
"But a younger generation of producers decided that the contract now up for renewal would be the one in which they pushed for big changes, and the theater owners are, this time, pushing with them."

The largest of these "younger generation" producers happens to be Clear Channel and Robert Sillerman of SFX. Sillerman is the one who is refusing to post grosses for YF.

The bargaining pattern that we see in these negotiations is strikingly similar to the pattern that Clear Channel

re: Some questions for the Local 1 guys on this board
 Nov 14 2007, 01:15:49 AM
1.) The piece of equipment involved is a HighEnd DL-2 that uses a Whole Hog board. I describe it in my blog(http://onenycstagehand.blogspot.com/) on Nov. 2nd. A terrific piece of technology. This moving head lights, projects and videos all in the same unit. It's really terrific. When they came out, the Local gave the single operator to the producers because that's logically how this thing works. They have the rule, I don't know why it keeps getting dragged out.
2.) The base salary for a class d contract is around $1200 a week and is actually less than an AEA Chorus member. Labor is about 8% of the nut on a show. If we gave the League everything they asked for, not only would ticket prices not go down, the show would still suck and people would still stay away in droves. They don't pay to watch the scene changes.
3.)See answer 2.
4.) I don't know where you're reading about lights coming out of the flys. In an emergency we do pitch in and get the show going again. I've seen it countless times. If it's a major fix, you set a crew call for the correct department for the next day.
4a.) If there are people who can't work during a focus (you see it needs to be dark to focus) and people have to stop working in the house until focus is over, it does not mean that all activity in the theatre stops. Sound keeps getting run, props come in and get set up. Carpenters are usually building something in the alley. The fall off of activity in the evening is a rare occurance and usually happens because of preproduction bottle neck (they didn't do their homework).
Finally this is not about money. If it were, we would have come to a deal like we have for over a century. This is about ideology, not theatre. Read about Clear Channel's labor practices and you'll see what I mean. This is a well worn mo that they use, from the distortions in the press and denigrating of their workers to the arrogance in refusing to negotiate.

I hope this helps.

The (http://playgoer.blogspot.com") has a good take on things.

Local One Press Conference
 Nov 13 2007, 08:26:28 AM
Local One Press Conference. YouTube
Judge for yourself;

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gEk7nngVr_c

re: Local 1's statement -- are they serious?
 Nov 11 2007, 08:24:10 PM
You know what? BK's right, this is getting tedious. This won't be settled here and I've got some precious free time that is better spent doing anything else than sitting in front of a computer. Talk among yourselves because I'm outta here.
 Nov 11 2007, 08:16:03 PM
BK, it's a lot easier to post often when you've got time on your hands. When we work, we've busy and not able to post.

Bobby, Bobby, as a working actor you will understand that there are parallels in the Local One contract and the Broadway Equity contract. IIRC, actors are paid for rehearsal calls every week even if there isn't rehearsal. They are getting paid for doing nothing, are they not?

In the next contract when the Producers turn the PR machine against AEA, where will y

re: I 'went on strike' with Broadway...
 Nov 11 2007, 06:55:30 PM
Bobby, Bobby. Read my blog for a discussion about the equipment in question.http://onenycstagehand.blogspot.com. The staffing requirement for that equipment is something the Producers already have.

If you don't care for the 38% number, pick a give back number that would be satisfactory to you. 35%, 30%, 25%. Bear in mind this will not reduce the cost to you, the theatre going public, a single penny. Nor will it keep shows open that you, the theatre going public, choose to stay away from.

The 16% wage increase is spread out over five years, so once again, in times of plenty on Broadway, wage increases will probably not keep up with inflation.

As for hiring more people than are needed, it's important to understand how a load-in is conducted. Bear in mind that this is primarily a one time cost and the staffing requirements vary according to the size of the show. The smaller the show, the smaller the crew. In my experience during a load-in is there almost always more than enough for everybody to do. If there is a slow down it comes from not having to many people but from a problem in the supply line as the show comes out of the shop. This does require planning on the part of the production team and this is where the real problem comes from. A lack of planning. Planning means the production needs to spend time and money in laying out the production before it loads in the stage door. Shows that come in from the road generally have these kinks worked out. Shows opening cold in NYC, don't. The flexibility that is claimed to be needed will result in a lack of preparation and a voiding of the Six P Rule of theatre. Proper Planning Prevents Piss Poor Productions.

Bear in mind this will not reduce the cost to you, the theatre going public, a single penny.

re: 'The Strike Pool'
 Nov 11 2007, 06:22:57 PM
My guess if the strike isn't over by Jan. 20, then the union will cave. Without good faith bargaining, probably not before.
 Nov 11 2007, 03:02:37 PM
As a union member you should recognize that all that you read in the paper might be news but not the truth.
As for you statement that class warfare is dead, I would suggest that this is a point of view of someone would is engaged in a defensive position. Are you better off than your parents were? Is your salary going further? Do you have, say, six months of living expenses in savings? Are the politicians and ideologues telling you what to teach? Do you find the mass media stimulating? The

re: How Long Might The Strike Last?
 Nov 11 2007, 01:38:29 PM
To express your frustration with the situation:
Contact the League of American Theatres and Producers.
You may call 212.764.1122 or e-mail them at league@broadway.org.
League President Charlotte St. Martin's e-mail address is cstmartin@broadway.org.
Director of communications for the League is Alan Cohen at acohen@broadway.org.
Shubert Organization Theatre Operations
Phone: (212) 944-3700

re: Shows That May Not Re- Open After Strike?
 Nov 11 2007, 01:29:52 PM
Local 802 when out on Mar. 7 and struck 18 musicals.

From Workers.org. Mar.20,2003
"Broadway bosses made their union-busting intentions plain in contract talks. They wanted to abolish the union's hard-won guaranteed minimum of 24-26 live musicians for each Broadway musical. Producers wanted to cut the minimum to just six musicians.

The union said this is just the start of the theater bosses' plan to do away with live music on Broadway and replace live orchestras with pre-recorded soundtracks."

According to IBDB, http://www.ibdb.com/season.asp?ID=1271, 2 musicals closed in the two months following the strike, "Flower Drum Song" and "Ma Rainey's Black Bottom." In the week prior to the strike "Flower" played at 56% capacity while "Rainey" played ay 55%.

The "Rainey" revival opened on Feb. 6, 2003 with Whoopie Goldberg to poor reviews.
"Drum Song" opened Oct 22, 2002 and had already posted it's notice to close.

It's safe to say the strike had no direct effect on the closings.

re: Cooperross on the members of the LOCAL 1...
 Nov 10 2007, 07:50:33 AM
"but there came a time when I decided it was a good thing to not have to sleep on friends couches or in my car and regular meals actually were healthy. And it was also nice to be able to have health insurance and to be able to save for my golden years."

So I guess you were a really bad, non-union stage manger. Did you every think about teaching?

re: Lock-out could come any time
 Nov 9 2007, 04:18:01 PM
I would suggest that, as I take references to suicide seriously, you talk to a friend, get out of the house and get something to eat. This too, shall pass.
Ticket Refunds Or Exchanges Promised
 Nov 9 2007, 04:03:32 PM
In an article from Crain's NY November 09. 2007 3:23PM

http://www.crainsnewyork.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20071109/FREE/71109011/1044

In the event of a strike, refunds or exchanges would be provided to ticket holders, according to Mr. Cohen.

re: LOCAL ONE AUTHORIZES STRIKE
 Nov 9 2007, 03:44:45 PM
My experience tells me that the confusion around the $100/hr minimum is this. A stagehand is brought in for a four-hour work call. After everything is deducted, take home is probably about $100 for that four-hour call. If you're on the producing end and get a bill from the house at $100/hr for that four hour call, that would be the hourly mark up for the house.
As for your child's first theatrical experience, I would suggest you explain to your child that making sacrfices for the common goo

Nov 9 2007, 02:25:24 PM
During the last contract negotiations it was stated across the table that the Producers thought that Local One had the power then but wouldn't in the next negotiations. The League then self-imposed a surtax on every ticket sold to fund a war chest to last out the lockout. At the start of the current negotiations the League stated that there would be a lockout if the Leagues demands were not met. During the current negotiations, the League has engaged in what is probably surface bargaining. Facin
Call The Box Office
 Nov 9 2007, 02:21:18 PM
and find out if your show will be going on.
 Nov 9 2007, 02:20:16 PM
The Lunt-Fontaine is a Nederlander owned house with a Disney Theatricals production. The New Amsterdam is a Disney owned house with a Disney Theatricals production. Disney is not part of the League and the New Amsterdam will not be affected.
You must log in to view off-topic posts.

Videos

TICKET CENTRAL

Recommended For You