News on your favorite shows, specials & more!

Profile for BwayJerry

Member Name: BwayJerry
Contact User: You must be logged in to contact BWW members.

Most Recent Message Board Posts:

View Off Topic Posts

Legally Blonde's BAILEY HANKS is a big Chick-fil-A fan!
 Aug 9 2012, 07:51:08 PM
One more update on that original post:

UPDATE # 2: http://talkaboutequality.wordpress.com/2012/08/09/what-happens-when-a-broadway-star-supports-chick-fil-a/

Aug 9 2012, 04:42:16 PM
There's an update posted.

https://talkaboutequality.wordpress.com/2012/08/09/what-happens-when-a-broadway-star-supports-chick-fil-a/

UPDATE***

It turns out Hanks isn’t completely alone. Broadway performer Wallace Smith (Godspell) also tweeted out his support for Chick-fil-A. While not quite the same ringing endorsement Hanks gave, it’s still troubling to see someone whose lifestyle and career is dependent on the work of LGBT people not coming out against such a bigoted corporation. It seems our out Broadway friends and allies need to step up the education in the community. Your chicken sandwich is not more valuable than the lives of gay people that are threatened in other countries.

Aug 9 2012, 01:10:56 PM
Apparently Bailey Hanks posted on Facebook and twitter on Chick-fil-A Appreciation Day last week.

https://talkaboutequality.wordpress.com/2012/08/09/what-happens-when-a-broadway-star-supports-chick-fil-a/

re: EVERY LITTLE STEP - the CHORUS LINE movie
 Apr 22 2009, 12:06:57 AM
Quick question -just wondering people's thoughts on this...Towards the beginning of the film, they are auditioning Connies I believe and the director or choreographer ask the actress auditioning where she was born and where she was raised. I'm just wondering how people feel about that? I believe it's out of line in a casting session. I think it goes along with asking someone their age, their sexuality or anything else that has absolutely nothing to do with a person's ability to play the role. I
re: Rosie in the Bye Bye Birdie revival?
 Feb 15 2009, 10:26:14 AM
Best casting would be (in my opinion):

Natascia Diaz as Rosie

Christian Borle as Albert

Whitney Bashor as Kim

Nathan Lane as Harry McAfee

Allison Janney as Doris McAfee

Tovah Feldshuh as Mae

Dream cast, I know, but would also be most effective in the roles.

re: Congratulations Signature Theatre - 39 Nominations!
 Feb 9 2009, 11:06:53 PM
Nice to see so much for ROOMS. But it does beg the question why they would replace Natascia Diaz if she got a Helen Hayes nom for her work in it.
re: The Best Male Voice on Broadway
 Feb 1 2009, 11:12:21 PM
Seriously??? Constantine Maroulis? Tony Yazbeck? Doesn't anyone care about a singer who can act the song? James Barbour? Really?

Has anyone ever heard Alfred Drake? John Raitt? Those are voices with something behind them.

Contemporarily, I agree with Jason Danieley and Norm Lewis. Jeff McCarthy, Terrence Mann, Brian D'Arcy James.

Cheyenne, Aaron Lazar, and David Burnham are fantastic, but they all have a few years before they land in this category...

Raise yo

re: NIGHT MUSIC Benefit Concert to Feature Benanti, Garber, Redgrave, Richa
 Oct 15 2008, 08:13:45 AM
It's an amazing cast, but the Nokia Theatre SUCKS. The acoustics are terrible and the staff is rude. I can't imagine a classy event going down well there.
re: The Who's Tommy Reunion concert??
 Sep 23 2008, 11:50:18 PM
So apparently it's the whole original cast EXCEPT for Romain Fruge. hmmm
re: Songs to sing at a Nursing Home
 Jul 29 2008, 03:51:17 PM
70, Girls, 70
Sunrise, Sunset
You Can Be As Loud As the Hell You Want
Walk With Me (Full Monty)
A Call From The Vatican
Who's Got the Pain
Run and Tell That

That's all I can think of.

STRIKE HIPOCRISY
 Nov 19 2007, 11:29:54 AM

There is another strike effecting this industry, but since the writer's strike puts thousands of IATSE members out of work , not just a few hundred, it
is apparently a different story. Moreover, with the WGA strike affecting jobs in film/tv, IATSE has many
fewer jobs to offer the 300 or so not working on Broadway. Of course, none of the other out of work folks have the ability to get placed in other jobs while this continues. But Short wants all the other unions and their thousands of members to support this strike, which affects only a few hundred of his.

Clearly, Pres.Short of IATSE does not support the WGA .

See the letter he sent on 11/14/07 to the Pres. of the WGA lambasting him because so many thousands of people are out of work because of the WGA strike.

The letter from Pres. Short and response from WGA Pres. Verrone are on the Variety blog. see link.
You have to scroll down to posts on 11/14/07.
The letters speak for themselves.

http://weblogs.variety.com/wga_strike_blog/

re: Strike on hold for Marquis Fundraiser?
 Nov 12 2007, 12:22:48 PM
Yes, they would look bad if they didn't allow the event to go on, but using the press release to announce that they are allowing it to happen is clearly using the press to spin something, am I wrong? What if they just said to the charity, "ok, you can do the event tonight and our members will work for free?" Why do they need to announce it in a press release full of grandeur and self-importance, that they are allowing it to happen.

They are using the event to attack the League and to m

Nov 12 2007, 12:06:41 PM
a press release is a press release and anything in ANY press release issued by either side should be taken with a grain of salt, but the fact that the union is using their disingenuous "charitable" work to forward their movement is ludicrous, rude, and marginalizes the people who are benefiting from this event.
re: THE STAGE HANDS ARE BULLIES
 Nov 12 2007, 12:03:40 PM
If the producers have said they are ready to sit down 24/7 and negotiate, and now you are saying that the union wants to sit "face to face" at a table, then why are you still striking?

It would seem to me that if you were actually interested in keeping jobs and having the people who support you get back to work, then you would be back at the table now instead of pulling this baloney "not until we have the respet of the producers" crap. Who's the one using the media?

Nov 12 2007, 11:58:39 AM
Exactly.

They are making it sound as if they are the most charitable and generous organization out there by using this event when the truth of the matter is they are oftentimes the ONLY labor paid for such events. Ushers will volunteer if asked, musicians will at least work for a cut-rate if asked, actors will always work for free and IATSE will always be paid for what they are doing. Please one of you shills of IATSE, call your Local One toay and get a list of the events in which IATSE

Nov 12 2007, 10:29:34 AM
An event happening at a theatre, yes, that's what I'm talking about. And charity events happening there where the musicians and actors perform and sometimes rehearse for several weeks for free. Additionally, said charity event would have everything else donated...including the rental of the theatre (from the League), but not an ounce of anything gratis fromt he workers.

No, they don't want to be there on the day off, I bet the musicians and actors don't either. But in many cases, there

Nov 12 2007, 10:01:56 AM
Once again, here is my question - 99% of the time when approached about charity events, actors and musicians are volunteering while IATSE members are paid exhorbitant amounts. Anyone know why?
 Nov 12 2007, 09:46:42 AM
Ok, I apologize for not reading that entire statement. However, this is clearly a publicity stunt because this is not something that IATSE usually does. 99% of the time when approached about charity events, actors and musicians are volunteering while IATSE members are paid exhorbitant amounts. Anyone know why?
Strike on hold for Marquis Fundraiser?
 Nov 12 2007, 09:35:37 AM
Hey there,

I was just wondering what the union members are being paid for their work on the charity event at the Marquis, which the strike is being put on hold for?

Usually the case is that everyone (including performers and musicians) are volunteering their time for these events while the stagehands union rarely even accepts a salary decrease for the evening.

While the union is preaching their benevolence by pausing the strike for this one event, I think someone shou

re: Local 1's statement -- are they serious?
 Nov 11 2007, 09:43:08 PM
I'm not a producer at all. I'm a member of AEA who actually posts here under a different name, but didn't want to drag any preconceived notions with me in my discussions about the strike. Not to mention the fact that Equity reps are threatening AEA members if they don't support the strike.

More bullying which just goes to show you what we are "supporting"

Of course the head of AEA is going to say we are in solidarity with you...AEA is a pu**y union and will say whatever they ne

You must log in to view off-topic posts.

Videos

TICKET CENTRAL

Recommended For You