pixeltracker

EVERY LITTLE STEP - the CHORUS LINE movie

EVERY LITTLE STEP - the CHORUS LINE movie

TimesSquareRegular Profile Photo
TimesSquareRegular
#1EVERY LITTLE STEP - the CHORUS LINE movie
Posted: 4/14/09 at 11:06am

I was fortunate enough to attend the special screening Monday night of this new documentary (opening this Friday) that is a knock-out, just about the best theatre documentary I've ever seen.

It's filled with performance clips from the original production, snips of the original audio tapes from the pre-workshop days in 1974, auditions for the recent revival, etc. The audience (lots of Chorus Line alumni in attendance, along with many other theatre personalities and performers) broke into applause dozens of times during the screening - deservedly so.

For all those who hated the film version of A Chorus Line (which, in essence, means anyone who saw it) this manages to capture the magic much more effectively.

Half way through the film, we get to see the conclusion of Jason Tam's audition for the role of Paul - and it's one of the most powerful and emotional pieces of film you will ever see.

Don't miss this one - it's a treasure!

2016 These Paper Bullets (1/02) Our Mother's Brief Affair (1/06), Dragon Boat Racing (1/08), Howard - reading (1/28), Shear Madness (2/10), Fun Home (2/17), Women Without Men (2/18), Trip Of Love (2/21), The First Gentleman -reading (2/22), Southern Comfort (2/23), The Robber Bridegroom (2/24), She Loves Me (3/11), Shuffle Along (4/12), Shear Madness (4/14), Dear Evan Hansen (4/16), American Psycho (4/23), Tuck Everlasting (5/10), Indian Summer (5/15), Peer Gynt (5/18), Broadway's Rising Stars (7/11), Trip of Love (7/27), CATS (7/31), The Layover (8/17), An Act Of God (8/31), The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-Time (8/24), Heisenberg (10/12), Fiddler On The Roof (11/02), Othello (11/23), Dear Evan Hansen (11/26), Les Liaisons Dangereuses (12/21) 2017 In Transit (2/01), Groundhog Day (4/04), Ring Twice For Miranda (4/07), Church And State (4/10), The Lucky One (4/19), Ernest Shackleton Loves Me (5/16), Building The Wall (5/19), Indecent (6/01), Six Degrees of Separation (6/09), Marvin's Room (6/28), A Doll's House Pt 2 (7/25) Curvy Widow (8/01)
Updated On: 4/14/09 at 11:06 AM

Eris0303 Profile Photo
Eris0303
#2re: EVERY LITTLE STEP - the CHORUS LINE movie
Posted: 4/14/09 at 12:31pm

Has anyone found a listing of exactly what cities are getting the film?

"All our dreams can come true -- if we have the courage to pursue them." -- Walt Disney We must have different Gods. My God said "do to others what you would have them do to you". Your God seems to have said "My Way or the Highway".

jennamajig Profile Photo
jennamajig
#3re: EVERY LITTLE STEP - the CHORUS LINE movie
Posted: 4/14/09 at 1:07pm

They have a facebook page:

http://www.facebook.com/home.php#/everylittlestep?ref=ts

Click under events to see what cities are having free screenings. I'm thinking those cities will also get the film shown at other times as well (or I'm hoping as I'm not sure I can make the Boston free screening).

MiracleElixir Profile Photo
MiracleElixir
#4re: EVERY LITTLE STEP - the CHORUS LINE movie
Posted: 4/14/09 at 2:11pm

I saw the documentary a few weeks back and really liked it as well. It was only a few hours after leaving the theater that I realized my love for A CHORUS LINE had maybe clouded my judgment a little bit -- it's ultimately a good, enjoyable, crowd-pleasing documentary that will be move to that next echelon of like/love with those who have affection for the source material.

And I believe it's only opening in NY and LA this weekend, with expansions to major cities in the weeks ahead.

shpants Profile Photo
shpants
#5re: EVERY LITTLE STEP - the CHORUS LINE movie
Posted: 4/14/09 at 2:17pm

The doc is screening at the Toronto Jewish Film Festival on April 26th.

http://www.tjff.com/

"You see, I told you so! There's lots of things I know. 'Ponine, she knows her way around."

madbrian Profile Photo
madbrian
#6re: EVERY LITTLE STEP - the CHORUS LINE movie
Posted: 4/14/09 at 2:17pm

In NYC, it opens at the Angelika and Clearview Chelsea on 4/17. Fandango has details.

"It does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are 20 gods or no god. It neither picks my pocket, nor breaks my leg." -- Thomas Jefferson

Eris0303 Profile Photo
Eris0303
#7re: EVERY LITTLE STEP - the CHORUS LINE movie
Posted: 4/14/09 at 2:24pm

facebook/youtube/myspace are all blocked at work. I'll have to check when I get home.

"All our dreams can come true -- if we have the courage to pursue them." -- Walt Disney We must have different Gods. My God said "do to others what you would have them do to you". Your God seems to have said "My Way or the Highway".

madbrian Profile Photo
madbrian
#8re: EVERY LITTLE STEP - the CHORUS LINE movie
Posted: 4/14/09 at 2:29pm

Here's a link to the Fandango page:

http://www.fandango.com/everylittlestep_122235/movieoverview

"It does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are 20 gods or no god. It neither picks my pocket, nor breaks my leg." -- Thomas Jefferson

MiracleElixir Profile Photo
MiracleElixir
#9re: EVERY LITTLE STEP - the CHORUS LINE movie
Posted: 4/14/09 at 2:47pm

"In NYC, it opens at the Angelika and Clearview Chelsea on 4/17. Fandango has details."

Also at Lincoln Plaza, on Broadway between 62nd and 63rd.

JenNYferTheatrical Profile Photo
JenNYferTheatrical
#10re: EVERY LITTLE STEP - the CHORUS LINE movie
Posted: 4/14/09 at 3:55pm

I can't wait to see it!

SingingCats Profile Photo
SingingCats
#11re: EVERY LITTLE STEP - the CHORUS LINE movie
Posted: 4/14/09 at 3:56pm

The Angelika is one of my favorite cinemas in the city, I'll be sure to check this out.

Anakela Profile Photo
Anakela
#12re: EVERY LITTLE STEP - the CHORUS LINE movie
Posted: 4/14/09 at 6:20pm

Today's L.A. Times had a nice piece on the film-
'Every Little Step' documents 'A Chorus Line' hopefuls

somethingwicked Profile Photo
somethingwicked
#13re: EVERY LITTLE STEP - the CHORUS LINE movie
Posted: 4/21/09 at 7:28pm

Does anyone know the full name of actress who was up for Kristine with Crissy Whitehead down to the very end? I remember that her name was Jen but that's it.

Her deadpan take on the role was pretty brilliant, IMO.

Tonya Pinkins: Then we had a "Lot's Wife" last June that was my personal favorite. I'm still trying to get them to let me sing it at some performance where we get to sing an excerpt that's gone.
Tony Kushner: You can sing it at my funeral.

blaxx Profile Photo
blaxx
#14re: EVERY LITTLE STEP - the CHORUS LINE movie
Posted: 4/21/09 at 7:36pm

it's one of the most powerful and emotional pieces of film you will ever see.

Move aside Citizen Kane! re: EVERY LITTLE STEP  - the CHORUS LINE movie

Listen, I don't take my clothes off for anyone, even if it is "artistic". - JANICE

insertclevernamehere Profile Photo
insertclevernamehere
#15re: EVERY LITTLE STEP - the CHORUS LINE movie
Posted: 4/21/09 at 7:44pm

Is anyone going to the Chicago screening tomorrow?

Oh, and I almost forgot to mention...I'm the good cop, he's the bad cop.

viola13
#16re: EVERY LITTLE STEP - the CHORUS LINE movie
Posted: 4/21/09 at 7:48pm

Saw the free screening last Thursday, thought it was absolutely wonderful. Wish they covered more of the male dancers, but thouroughly enjoyed it, and hearing the snippits of the original audio tapes was amazing. I'll definitely buy it when/if it comes out on DVD.

CukorLover Profile Photo
CukorLover
#17re: EVERY LITTLE STEP - the CHORUS LINE movie
Posted: 4/21/09 at 10:38pm

I enjoyed it as well, but left feeling a bit unfulfilled. They feature mainly the women ( and only a few of them), and you sort of wonder what happened to the major roles of Diana, Zach & Bobby ? Let alone Richie and Al. I realize that several of the roles were cast early, but this left for a slightly disjointed documentary for me. Hearing the original tapes was the highlight for me.

BwayJerry
#18re: EVERY LITTLE STEP - the CHORUS LINE movie
Posted: 4/22/09 at 12:06am

Quick question -just wondering people's thoughts on this...Towards the beginning of the film, they are auditioning Connies I believe and the director or choreographer ask the actress auditioning where she was born and where she was raised. I'm just wondering how people feel about that? I believe it's out of line in a casting session. I think it goes along with asking someone their age, their sexuality or anything else that has absolutely nothing to do with a person's ability to play the role. I know the director was somewhat known for asking people their age during auditions, but no one ever complained to equity about it...thoughts?

snarkywannabedreamer Profile Photo
snarkywannabedreamer
#19re: EVERY LITTLE STEP - the CHORUS LINE movie
Posted: 4/22/09 at 12:36am

I think the nature of how they were conducting these auditions, trying to re-create on some level the vibe of the original casting process... making these roles "personal" makes such questions less offensive- to me. It didn't bother me when I watched it and I would think someone was pretty uptight and lame if they complained to Equity that someone asked where they were raised.

HOWEVER, can we discuss for a moment how douchey Tyce Diorio came across? what a tool!

CurtainPullDowner Profile Photo
CurtainPullDowner
#20re: EVERY LITTLE STEP - the CHORUS LINE movie
Posted: 4/22/09 at 12:39am

If you get down to that audition where Michael Bennet asked you anything, you did not complain to Equity.

Dangerous Divine Profile Photo
Dangerous Divine
#21re: EVERY LITTLE STEP - the CHORUS LINE movie
Posted: 4/22/09 at 1:17am

I don't think that asking those questions is so out of line, especially asking where someone was born and raised. In the case of Yuka Takara, you could hear that she had an accent, and in the case of a character who was supposed to be born and raised in Chinatown, that could be problematic if the actor is unable to mask his or her natural accent. I recall noticing Yuka's accent when I saw the show, although it had obviously been worked on so that it was quite minimal, but it was there and it could have been problematic.

Also, if you were casting someone to play you, wouldn't you be fairly picky?

Fosse76
#22re: EVERY LITTLE STEP - the CHORUS LINE movie
Posted: 4/22/09 at 11:10am

"Jason Tam's audition for the role of Paul - and it's one of the most powerful and emotional pieces of film you will ever see."

Too bad he didn't replicate that on stage...where the the only thing he moved me to do was check my watch. As for asking where Yuka was born, it is not out of line and there would be no legitimate complaint to Equity for it...the entertainment industry is exempt from non-discrimination laws when it comes to casting.

DottieD'Luscia Profile Photo
DottieD'Luscia
#23re: EVERY LITTLE STEP - the CHORUS LINE movie
Posted: 4/22/09 at 12:26pm

What role was Tyce up for? I read a lot about him on ATC. People there also said that Rachelle Rak was also not seen in the best light either.

This film doesn't open in DC until Memorial Day weekend.

Hey Dottie! Did your colleagues enjoy the cake even though your cat decided to sit on it? ~GuyfromGermany

somethingwicked Profile Photo
somethingwicked
#24re: EVERY LITTLE STEP - the CHORUS LINE movie
Posted: 4/22/09 at 12:37pm

Dottie, Tyce Diorio was up for the role of Mike.

Tonya Pinkins: Then we had a "Lot's Wife" last June that was my personal favorite. I'm still trying to get them to let me sing it at some performance where we get to sing an excerpt that's gone.
Tony Kushner: You can sing it at my funeral.

DottieD'Luscia Profile Photo
DottieD'Luscia
#25re: EVERY LITTLE STEP - the CHORUS LINE movie
Posted: 4/22/09 at 12:42pm

Thanks.

Hey Dottie! Did your colleagues enjoy the cake even though your cat decided to sit on it? ~GuyfromGermany