THE STAGE HANDS ARE BULLIES

Noel&Cole
#1THE STAGE HANDS ARE BULLIES
Posted: 11/10/07 at 1:28pm

I have been an avid theatre goer for years and I do not understand how this stage hands union can ever justify that someone should get paid for not working! How is that fair? No matter how much money a producer is getting why should you get paid for not working. If a show only needs 4 actors. They don't have to pay 10. Actors never get paid for not working so why stage hands?

Also they are pointing and calling the producers greedy YET 4 out of 5 broadway shows loose millions of dollars! Broadway is a terrible business, and its hard to find investors because its next to impossible to recoup. In most cases producers do this as an act of charity. This is not about a WICKED or MAMA MIA, yes they made money and can afford higher costs but what about the 80% of shows that loose millions and leave there investors at a loss? This fight is about them. No one is being greedy. GET IN TOUCH WITH REALITY STAGEHANDS!!! you don't deserve money for time and jobs that arent needed! You are killing a beautiful industry!
Updated On: 11/10/07 at 01:28 PM

BrianIdol Profile Photo
BrianIdol
#2re: THE STAGE HANDS ARE BULLIES
Posted: 11/10/07 at 1:42pm

Noel&Cole,

you should get educated FIRST before you make these accusations.

wonderfulwizard11 Profile Photo
wonderfulwizard11
#2re: THE STAGE HANDS ARE BULLIES
Posted: 11/10/07 at 1:46pm

I smell a sock puppet.

I am a firm believer in serendipity- all the random pieces coming together in one wonderful moment, when suddenly you see what their purpose was all along.

mateo Profile Photo
mateo
#3re: THE STAGE HANDS ARE BULLIES
Posted: 11/10/07 at 1:47pm

'Nuff Said.

"Zac is sweet as can be. He's very much just a sweet kid from California who happens to have a face that looks like it was drawn by Michelangelo, (if Michelangelo did anime)."
-Adam Shankman.

"I haven't left this building since Windows 3.1!"

"Celebrating a birthday this week: Rene Descartes is 412! Do you know who he is? Then why are you watching this show? You could probably get into college and even get one of those job things. As for the rest of us; Amanda Bynes is 22! Yay!"
-E!'s "The Soup"

GlindatheGood22  Profile Photo
GlindatheGood22
#4re: THE STAGE HANDS ARE BULLIES
Posted: 11/10/07 at 1:48pm

Mateo, I was just about to point that out. You beat me to it.

I know you. I know you. I know you.

Noel&Cole
#5re: THE STAGE HANDS ARE BULLIES
Posted: 11/10/07 at 1:49pm

Get educated how? What did I say that was untrue? Maybe you need to be educated.

JustAGuy Profile Photo
JustAGuy
#6re: THE STAGE HANDS ARE BULLIES
Posted: 11/10/07 at 1:49pm

"I have been an avid theatre goer for years and I do not understand how this stage hands union can ever justify that someone should get paid for not working! How is that fair? No matter how much money a producer is getting why should you get paid for not working. If a show only needs 4 actors. They don't have to pay 10. Actors never get paid for not working so why stage hands?

Also they are pointing and calling the producers greedy YET 4 out of 5 broadway shows loose millions of dollars! Broadway is a terrible business, and its hard to find investors because its next to impossible to recoup. In most cases producers do this as an act of charity. This is not about a WICKED or MAMA MIA, yes they made money and can afford higher costs but what about the 80% of shows that loose millions and leave there investors at a loss? This fight is about them. No one is being greedy. GET IN TOUCH WITH REALITY STAGEHANDS!!! you don't deserve money for time and jobs that arent needed! You are killing a beautiful industry! "

And you joined just today, to give us your profound opinion? Thank you. I was especially impressed by the fact that, "In most cases producers do this as an act of charity." How kind of them, how altruistic, it makes me want to run right out and give them a big hug and a wet kiss too.

"Just a Guy. Your feelings are touching. I am gladdened by the thought that you will one day wind up 6 feet under as we all do." - MrRoxy ------ "I do not suggest you walk out the door onto a New York street with your vulnerable child part exposed and not protected..." - Jason Bennett

MargoChanning
#7re: THE STAGE HANDS ARE BULLIES
Posted: 11/10/07 at 2:09pm

And while, yes, the majority of shows don't recoup, about 7-10 per season do -- roughly one out of four that get produced.

"What a story........ everything but the bloodhounds snappin' at her rear end." -- Birdie [http://margochanning.broadwayworld.com/] "The Devil Be Hittin' Me" -- Whitney

Lynnespock2
#8re: THE STAGE HANDS ARE BULLIES
Posted: 11/10/07 at 2:12pm

Theater investment is a crap shoot - sometimes you win, other times you lose, but it ain't charity and either you end up with a profit or a tax write off. Not altruistic, just business.

Live long and prosper. Marriage equity now!

paphillyguy
#9re: THE STAGE HANDS ARE BULLIES
Posted: 11/10/07 at 2:20pm

I have been around for a long while and I have to agree with the OP. I have a huge problem with the union getting paid for work not done.

Liverpool Profile Photo
Liverpool
#10re: THE STAGE HANDS ARE BULLIES
Posted: 11/10/07 at 2:22pm

ooh look guys, cooperross got a sock puppet.

paphillyguy
#11re: THE STAGE HANDS ARE BULLIES
Posted: 11/10/07 at 2:25pm

they are also liars, as they previously stated that a strike would not occur until December. Last I checked it was still November.

Updated On: 11/10/07 at 02:25 PM

Liverpool Profile Photo
Liverpool
#12re: THE STAGE HANDS ARE BULLIES
Posted: 11/10/07 at 2:26pm

they are lairs?

THEY HAVE DRAGONS IN THEM??????????????????????/

ZOMG THE LOCAL ONE HAS DRAGONS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!ONEONEONEONEONEONEONEONEONEONEONEOENOENEONE

Noel&Cole
#13re: THE STAGE HANDS ARE BULLIES
Posted: 11/10/07 at 2:27pm

Thank you PAPHILLYGUY! I believe people should be paid for their work! And they should have protections so they are not treated poorly BUT they should not be paid for time or jobs that are not required. I'm glad someone on these boards get wrap their mind around that.

Tkt2Ride Profile Photo
Tkt2Ride
#14re: THE STAGE HANDS ARE BULLIES
Posted: 11/10/07 at 2:27pm

It sure is and those who win, win big. The same can be said of most of Atlantic City or Las Vegas but still rich people and the not so rich continue to gamble away their money. You still have to pay the dealers though, whether you win or lose.

The point is, you have to pay for talented people to work for you no matter what. Most won't go to see a show that has a bunch of flaws in the performance. You don't call joe blow to fix your plumbing. You better call a professional and you can bet you are going to pay for not knowing how to fix it yourself. Still, it is better than going without water or have your house flooding.

Stagehands are not going to work without a contract. That is how it is right now. If stagehands won't work than Actors can't do the stunts. They also believe that what stagehands do is important so they too have joined the strike. So no matter what, no shows in these Companies will go on until reasonable offers are put forth in good merit.

Liverpool Profile Photo
Liverpool
#15re: THE STAGE HANDS ARE BULLIES
Posted: 11/10/07 at 2:28pm

umm noel, why dont you post this as your actual account so we all know who you really are.

MargoChanning
#16re: THE STAGE HANDS ARE BULLIES
Posted: 11/10/07 at 2:30pm

Actually, the head of the union said that they wouldn't go into December without a contract. He never promised they wouldn't start in November -- just that BY December they'd either have a new contract or there would be a strike, which, is exactly what's happened.

"What a story........ everything but the bloodhounds snappin' at her rear end." -- Birdie [http://margochanning.broadwayworld.com/] "The Devil Be Hittin' Me" -- Whitney

JustAGuy Profile Photo
JustAGuy
#17re: THE STAGE HANDS ARE BULLIES
Posted: 11/10/07 at 2:42pm

Margo beat me to it.

"Just a Guy. Your feelings are touching. I am gladdened by the thought that you will one day wind up 6 feet under as we all do." - MrRoxy ------ "I do not suggest you walk out the door onto a New York street with your vulnerable child part exposed and not protected..." - Jason Bennett
Updated On: 11/10/07 at 02:42 PM

dancingthrulife04 Profile Photo
dancingthrulife04
#18re: THE STAGE HANDS ARE BULLIES
Posted: 11/10/07 at 3:01pm

BWW is starting to hurt my brain.

http://www.beintheheights.com/katnicole1 (Please click and help me win!) I chose, and my world was shaken- So what?
The choice may have been mistaken, The choosing was not...
"Every day has the potential to be the greatest day of your life." - Lin-Manuel Miranda
"And when Idina Menzel is singing, I'm always slightly worried that her teeth are going to jump out of her mouth and chase me." - Schmerg_the_Impaler

FlyingMonkey1223 Profile Photo
FlyingMonkey1223
#19re: THE STAGE HANDS ARE BULLIES
Posted: 11/10/07 at 4:07pm

How very interesting and sad. If I walked out of my job and decided to strike, I would be fired. I guess that's because I am not part of a union. I wish I made more money for work I did. But forcing the shows to close, costing TICKET HOLDERS money and dissapointment, esp. if they flew down just to see broadway shows, is not okay. These unions are just stupid and money hungry, and do more harm then good and instead of protecting people they just rally for more money. Goodness, what a good life when you can stop work and demand more money.

FlyingMonkey1223
#20re: THE STAGE HANDS ARE BULLIES
Posted: 11/10/07 at 4:07pm

How very interesting and sad. If I walked out of my job and decided to strike, I would be fired. I guess that's because I am not part of a union. I wish I made more money for work I did. But forcing the shows to close, costing TICKET HOLDERS money and dissapointment, esp. if they flew down just to see broadway shows, is not okay. These unions are just stupid and money hungry, and do more harm then good and instead of protecting people they just rally for more money. Goodness, what a good life when you can stop work and demand more money.

jerseygurl
#21re: THE STAGE HANDS ARE BULLIES
Posted: 11/10/07 at 4:20pm

might I suggest some required reading for some of you who clearly don't understand the history and importance of unions?

State of the Union: A Century of American Labor (Politics and Society in Twentieth Century America)
by Nelson Lichtenstein

Lichtenstein presents a history of American unionism in the 20th century and argues convincingly that a thriving labor movement is an essential safeguard of American democracy. He chronicles the struggle for economic citizenship and security that led to the burst of organizing during the Depression and World War II. After the war, even as unions reached new highs in membership and political activity, their strength was sapped by corporate resistance, their own bureaucratization, legal restrictions, and ideological attacks from the Right by anti-Communist conservatives and from the Left by disenchanted intellectuals. Throughout, Lichtenstein examines both the positive and the negative sides of American labor unions have been champions of civil rights and equal pay and racially exclusive and economically self-interested clubs. But, Lichtenstein argues, as the only organized counterweight to the power of rapacious corporations, unions play an essential role in preserving American ideals.

DownstageRight2
#22re: THE STAGE HANDS ARE BULLIES
Posted: 11/10/07 at 4:24pm

Broadway is a billion dollar industry and has never been more profitable than now. If you were hired to work for 20 days wouldn't you expect to be paid for the entire 20 day period even if the producers decided at some point that they don't need you for 3 of those days? And when exactly would that decision be made? How much notice would you need to find another job when you previously thought that you were secure? If an actor comes into rehearsal for two hours they aren't paid for two hours, they are paid for the day and rightly so. This is not an hourly industry. You can't reasonably expect the stagehands who earn a decent, but hardly lavish salary to take a 38% cut in jobs and wages. Producers and theatre owners are wealthy people. Robbing the working class of a day's wage here and there will certainly ensure them even more wealth. And actors let us not forget that our contract is up for negotiation in 7 months.

FlyingMonkey1223
#23re: THE STAGE HANDS ARE BULLIES
Posted: 11/10/07 at 4:28pm

Most people work for companies that make TONS of money, and they usually pay their works low saleries in retrospect to what the company makes. That's just a part of life. The company I work for makes billions a year, I get paid 35,000 a year. If I don't like that, then I can go work somewhere else. And by the way--we live in 2007. Unions are not needed for the most part. Most states have strict labor laws that protect employees.
Updated On: 11/10/07 at 04:28 PM

Tkt2Ride Profile Photo
Tkt2Ride
#24re: THE STAGE HANDS ARE BULLIES
Posted: 11/10/07 at 4:39pm

I just don't understand why people who hate the Union go to see shows put on by Union Workers? It makes no sense to me. You are supporting that which you say you hate and then you are complaining about it? It's strange, that's all.

Videos