pixeltracker

Strike on hold for Marquis Fundraiser?

Strike on hold for Marquis Fundraiser?

BwayJerry
#1Strike on hold for Marquis Fundraiser?
Posted: 11/12/07 at 9:35am

Hey there,

I was just wondering what the union members are being paid for their work on the charity event at the Marquis, which the strike is being put on hold for?

Usually the case is that everyone (including performers and musicians) are volunteering their time for these events while the stagehands union rarely even accepts a salary decrease for the evening.

While the union is preaching their benevolence by pausing the strike for this one event, I think someone should report back as to why they never volunteer their time for events like this, while everyone else does?

Wanna Be A Foster Profile Photo
Wanna Be A Foster
#2re: Strike on hold for Marquis Fundraiser?
Posted: 11/12/07 at 9:39am

Take the question mark out of your subject title, and take the half a second to look at the homepage of this very website before posting such an easily answered, right-in-front-of-your-eyes question.

https://www.broadwayworld.com/viewcolumn.cfm?colid=22918

Also:

https://www.playbill.com/news/article/112697.html

"Winning a Tony this year is like winning Best Attendance in third grade: no one will care but the winner and their mom."
-Kad

"I have also met him in person, and I find him to be quite funny actually. Arrogant and often misinformed, but still funny."
-bjh2114 (on Michael Riedel)

BwayJerry
#2re: Strike on hold for Marquis Fundraiser?
Posted: 11/12/07 at 9:46am

Ok, I apologize for not reading that entire statement. However, this is clearly a publicity stunt because this is not something that IATSE usually does. 99% of the time when approached about charity events, actors and musicians are volunteering while IATSE members are paid exhorbitant amounts. Anyone know why?

Wanna Be A Foster Profile Photo
Wanna Be A Foster
#3re: Strike on hold for Marquis Fundraiser?
Posted: 11/12/07 at 9:56am

"In addition, Local One refuses to work under the expired collective bargaining agreement that we are exercising our legal rights against. We will work the event free of charge for the benefit of this Organization."

"Winning a Tony this year is like winning Best Attendance in third grade: no one will care but the winner and their mom."
-Kad

"I have also met him in person, and I find him to be quite funny actually. Arrogant and often misinformed, but still funny."
-bjh2114 (on Michael Riedel)

BwayJerry
#4re: Strike on hold for Marquis Fundraiser?
Posted: 11/12/07 at 10:01am

Once again, here is my question - 99% of the time when approached about charity events, actors and musicians are volunteering while IATSE members are paid exhorbitant amounts. Anyone know why?

localonecrew
#5re: Strike on hold for Marquis Fundraiser?
Posted: 11/12/07 at 10:07am

bwayjerry-joined 11/07

producer shill

#6re: Strike on hold for Marquis Fundraiser?
Posted: 11/12/07 at 10:13am

Man I ahve never seen so many snotty, nasty posts on any issue ever. IT's hard to believe that both sides have the time & inclination to join a puny message board and smear their opponents.

JustAGuy Profile Photo
JustAGuy
#7re: Strike on hold for Marquis Fundraiser?
Posted: 11/12/07 at 10:24am

I'm assuming your speaking of charity events held in a theatre, yes?

For many of these events, there's usually a lot of work that has to be done in order for the event to be pulled off. Sometimes additional equipment has to be brought into the theatre, set-up, operated, and struck. It can take hours of work to do this. In most cases, the crew doesn't have the option of saying no. If they're part of the house crew, then they're under obligation to be there. No matter if they want to participate or not.

A performer can come in, sometimes without rehearsal, sing their song and leave.

I've rarely worked a charity event where the musicians haven't been paid for their time.

Most of the time, it's just the performers who offer their services gratis, and sometimes it takes a lot of phone calls to find performers who are willing to do so.

Do you take exception that caterers, florist, waiters, bartenders, etc. Get paid when doing charity events. Or is it only the stagehands that you have an issue with?

"Just a Guy. Your feelings are touching. I am gladdened by the thought that you will one day wind up 6 feet under as we all do." - MrRoxy ------ "I do not suggest you walk out the door onto a New York street with your vulnerable child part exposed and not protected..." - Jason Bennett

BwayJerry
#8re: Strike on hold for Marquis Fundraiser?
Posted: 11/12/07 at 10:29am

An event happening at a theatre, yes, that's what I'm talking about. And charity events happening there where the musicians and actors perform and sometimes rehearse for several weeks for free. Additionally, said charity event would have everything else donated...including the rental of the theatre (from the League), but not an ounce of anything gratis fromt he workers.

No, they don't want to be there on the day off, I bet the musicians and actors don't either. But in many cases, there is a greater good that is being served. But never in the case of IATSE. Yes, sometimes musicians are paid for charity events, but even when they are, it's at a cut rate. But the sticking point is ALWAYS the union stagehands...no matter what the charity.

JustAGuy Profile Photo
JustAGuy
#9re: Strike on hold for Marquis Fundraiser?
Posted: 11/12/07 at 10:37am

"But never in the case of IATSE."

Simply not true. Several years ago I stage managed a large memorial service at one of B'ways larger houses. It entailed bringing in projectors, movie screens, and having to set it all up in just a few hours. There were also, spot operators, electricians, prop men, carpenters and a sound operator involved. EVERY SINGLE ONE OF THEM worked without payment. So that blows your "never" right out of the water.

"Just a Guy. Your feelings are touching. I am gladdened by the thought that you will one day wind up 6 feet under as we all do." - MrRoxy ------ "I do not suggest you walk out the door onto a New York street with your vulnerable child part exposed and not protected..." - Jason Bennett
Updated On: 11/12/07 at 10:37 AM

Schuyler
#10re: Strike on hold for Marquis Fundraiser?
Posted: 11/12/07 at 10:54am

BwayJerry (mr. shill) is wrong again! The talent is usually the only group who donates their time. The ushers get paid, the crew, house manager all get paid. The crew has to be there early for hours of loading in and then loading out and also running the show. Much involves heavy equipment, running cables, etc. THE SHILLS SHOULD STAY OFF THIS BOARD IF ALL THEY WANT TO DO IS SPREAD INACURACIES!

paphillyguy
#11re: Strike on hold for Marquis Fundraiser?
Posted: 11/12/07 at 11:51am

The fact that the Union has used this event as a mode of propaganda is unacceptable. They should be ashamed of themselves.

BwayJerry
#12re: Strike on hold for Marquis Fundraiser?
Posted: 11/12/07 at 11:58am

Exactly.

They are making it sound as if they are the most charitable and generous organization out there by using this event when the truth of the matter is they are oftentimes the ONLY labor paid for such events. Ushers will volunteer if asked, musicians will at least work for a cut-rate if asked, actors will always work for free and IATSE will always be paid for what they are doing. Please one of you shills of IATSE, call your Local One toay and get a list of the events in which IATSE members have either donated their time or even worked for a cut rate.

I'm not a shill for the producers. As I've said before, I am an equity member as well as someone who already has another screenname on this site that didn't want the things I've said prior to this, tied up with the nonsense of this greedy, selfish strike that has caused me and several of my friends lost wages and grief.

JustAGuy Profile Photo
JustAGuy
#13re: Strike on hold for Marquis Fundraiser?
Posted: 11/12/07 at 12:03pm

"The fact that the Union has used this event as a mode of propaganda is unacceptable. They should be ashamed of themselves."

But it's entirely appropriate for Charlotte St. Martin to use her press releases as a mode for propaganda?

"Please one of you shills of IATSE, call your Local One toay and get a list of the events in which IATSE members have either donated their time or even worked for a cut rate.

Since you have all the answers Jerry, why don't you give us the list. You seem to know everything about Local One, how it runs, who does what, and for how much. Why not produce the list yourself?

Updated On: 11/12/07 at 12:03 PM

bugmenot
#14re: Strike on hold for Marquis Fundraiser?
Posted: 11/12/07 at 12:04pm

> The fact that the Union has used this event as a mode of
> propaganda is unacceptable. They should be ashamed of themselves.

or the union could have picketed a charitable event (which the Nederlanders never told them was happening -- intentionally? I'm betting so) and then tomorrow we would see a statement from Charlotte St Martin about how we ruined a charity event. If you think the League wouldn't have used it as propaganda, you're crazy.

Personally I am happy the event is going to go on, and that Duran Duran is moving to Roseland to finish out their shows.
Updated On: 11/12/07 at 12:04 PM

BwayJerry
#15re: Strike on hold for Marquis Fundraiser?
Posted: 11/12/07 at 12:06pm

a press release is a press release and anything in ANY press release issued by either side should be taken with a grain of salt, but the fact that the union is using their disingenuous "charitable" work to forward their movement is ludicrous, rude, and marginalizes the people who are benefiting from this event.

paphillyguy
#16re: Strike on hold for Marquis Fundraiser?
Posted: 11/12/07 at 12:12pm

No it is not acceptable for anyone to use a charity event to advance their side in this argument.

JustAGuy Profile Photo
JustAGuy
#17re: Strike on hold for Marquis Fundraiser?
Posted: 11/12/07 at 12:12pm

"but the fact that the union is using their disingenuous "charitable" work to forward their movement is ludicrous, rude, and marginalizes the people who are benefiting from this event."

So in other words, Local One is damned if they do and damned if they don't. Just how many ways do you want something? You complain that if they don't donate hours of their time and skills they're greedy and now you complain that because they're donating their time and talent they're being disingenuous. The only one who seems to be disingenuous is you.

BwayJerry
#18re: Strike on hold for Marquis Fundraiser?
Posted: 11/12/07 at 12:22pm

Yes, they would look bad if they didn't allow the event to go on, but using the press release to announce that they are allowing it to happen is clearly using the press to spin something, am I wrong? What if they just said to the charity, "ok, you can do the event tonight and our members will work for free?" Why do they need to announce it in a press release full of grandeur and self-importance, that they are allowing it to happen.

They are using the event to attack the League and to make it look as if this is something they would normally do, when the fact of the matter is, they are ONLY donating their time to this event because it makes a good attack and a good media spin.

JustAGuy Profile Photo
JustAGuy
#19re: Strike on hold for Marquis Fundraiser?
Posted: 11/12/07 at 12:31pm

"They are using the event to attack the League and to make it look as if this is something they would normally do, when the fact of the matter is, they are ONLY donating their time to this event because it makes a good attack and a good media spin."

There was no attack on the League in their press release:

"Dear Brothers and Sisters of Actor’s Equity, Musicians Local 802, Operating Engineers Local 30, Teamsters Local 817, ATPAM, Local 306, Local 751, Local 764, Local 798, Local 829 and Local 32BJ:

Local One has just been made aware that a fund raiser for mentally challenged children was scheduled for tomorrow, November 12, 2007 in the Marriott Marquis Theatre. I have been contacted by that Organization, while The Nederlander Organization failed to ever do so.

Please be advised that I am removing the picket line at the Marriott Marquis Theatre so that this worthy event can carry on for the benefit of these children. After the load-out of the event, the picket line will resume along with all others.

In addition, Local One refuses to work under the expired collective bargaining agreement that we are exercising our legal rights against. We will work the event free of charge for the benefit of this Organization.

Please feel free to contact me with any questions or concerns. I again thank all the Unions for their support and understanding."

Where is there an attack on the League? There certainly is a swipe at the Nederlanders, for not informing them of this event, and justifiable so. One has to wonder why they weren't informed? Could it be in the hopes that someone might have gotten some bad press over the fact that a Labor Union was responsible for the disruption and possible cancellation of a charity event? Nah...I'm sure the League never thought of that.

"Why do they need to announce it in a press release full of grandeur and self-importance, that they are allowing it to happen."

"Grandeur and self-importance"? You have a unique way of reading things if you find anything grand or self-important in that statement.

Updated On: 11/12/07 at 12:31 PM

paphillyguy
#20re: Strike on hold for Marquis Fundraiser?
Posted: 11/12/07 at 2:52pm

Updated On: 11/12/07 at 02:52 PM

proptart101
#21re: Strike on hold for Marquis Fundraiser?
Posted: 11/12/07 at 2:59pm

Every charity event that I've worked as a stagehand myself and the other stagehands have signed our paychecks back over to the charity in question at the end of the event, or written out a personal check equal to the amount we were to receive.

I do not know if that is a practice that is the norm, but that's what I've always done.

"It's never too late to have a happy childhood. " - Tom Robbins

StageFan2 Profile Photo
StageFan2
#22re: Strike on hold for Marquis Fundraiser?
Posted: 11/12/07 at 6:47pm

Not to take sides, but can we just be glad that the benefit for these children is going on and be grateful to everyone involved. The children are what are of importance here - not the Union nor the Producers. There's a time when frivilous finger pointing should stop or at least be put on hold...I think this is one of those times. I offer my thanks to everyone involved in seeing this benefit through tonight.

Lynnespock2
#23re: Strike on hold for Marquis Fundraiser?
Posted: 11/12/07 at 7:26pm

Amen, Stagefan.

My mother always told me not to look a gift horse in the mouth. The union is giving the gift of lifting the picket lines and letting the stagehands work for this fine cause.

The union is doing the right thing and that makes them wrong? I find that incomprehensible.

Live long and prosper. Marriage equity now!

Videos