News on your favorite shows, specials & more!

Profile for sarahb22

sarahb22 Profile Photo
Member Name: sarahb22
Contact User: You must be logged in to contact BWW members.

Most Recent Message Board Posts:

View Off Topic Posts

Is Michael Urie's 'Buyer and Cellar' available anywhere?  Apr 13 2023, 09:22:30 PM

Hi all,

I'm looking for the livestream performance Michael Urie did in 2020 as a fundraiser of "Buyer and Cellar." Does anyone know fif it's available anywhere? Thanks!

Dream cast the Muses for Disney’s Hercules  May 2 2020, 06:46:21 PM

Not sure about the Muses, but I'd like to see Billy Magnussen play Hercules. He has the build, and he's worked with Disney before (as Rapunzel's Prince in "Into the Woods.)

Plays you want to see revived in the next 10 years  Oct 27 2018, 09:42:59 AM

I would also love to see "Nicholas Nickleby" revived. I saw it a few times regionally (I live in Ohio) and it's a real tour de force: 8 1/2 hours long, with a HUGE cast, and audience involvement with catwalks going all around the theater. It's what live theater is all about, and a fantastic story to boot.

Unfortunately, putting it on these days WOULD be prohibitively expensive. I remember the flap when the ticket for the Broadway version were (gasp!) $100 - imagine wh

Into the woods revival? Thoughts?  Dec 24 2017, 10:12:37 PM

ljay889 said: "10-20 years??? The 2014 movie was quite successful and made 213 million in the worldwide box office. I think there would certainly be enough interest in a full scale Broadway revival."

The movie was very different from the stage show. Songs were cut, the timeline was rearranged, and Rapunzel's fate was very different. Anyone going to a revival of the stage show having seen the movie, but unaware of the changes, would be pretty shocked I think. 

Lin-Manuel Shows Disrespect  Oct 1 2017, 09:55:09 AM

Theater3232 said: "We all know who this playwright voted for and how active he was on her political campaign. It's sad that the political attacks continue when so many people are trying to volunteer, give money to the Red Cross, etc."

In America, we muiltitask. We can volunteer, give to the Red Cross, AND call out reprehensible behavior.  We're talented like that.

THE GREATEST SHOWMAN  Jul 2 2017, 10:39:15 AM

Wayman_Wong said: "It is, however, sad and ironic that ''The Greatest Showman'' should open only months after the Ringling Bros. and Barnum & Bailey Circus closed in May 2017 after a run of 146 years."

In a lot of ways, the time for that sort of entertainment is past.  When you have a culture where you can see amazing marvels with the click of a mouse, how are you going to make some guy walking on a wire attractive?  In past days you did

Favorited filmed staged productions?  Apr 10 2017, 06:22:13 PM

1981 Royal Shakespeare Company's production of Nicholas Nickleby.  It's long - 8 1/2 hours - but every moment is theatrical gold.  Amazing, amazing stuff.

Official Beauty and the Beast movie  Apr 5 2017, 09:35:35 PM

Scarywarhol said: "I'm listening to these new numbers. Tim Rice has been on autopilot for years, and was certainly never half as good as Ashman, but I'm still surprised. Good LORD, are these embarrassing  lyrics! It's a joke to put them next to the original songs."

I felt pretty much the same way.  "Evermore" was really generic, but the absolute WORST was in the reprise to 'Beauty and the Beast' where Emma Thompson actually sin

Official Beauty and the Beast movie  Apr 5 2017, 09:19:00 PM

Dave28282 said: "Ps. A special shout-out to the fishing lady singing in the intro of The Mob song. She really went for it."

I think she wandered over from playing one of the factory workers/poor people in "Les MIserables."  

'Save the Children' 1988 Broadway/London CD  Dec 21 2016, 09:14:07 PM

jo said: "I still have that CD (Save the Children) which I then got from London's  Dress Circle Shop. It has the inset of the song listings/singers.  Please feel free to ask the info for any particular song( s).  There are 22 songs all in all."

Thanks, Jo! That's interesting, the CD set I got has 33 songs. Is yours on 2 discs? Is there any way you can scan the inset and email it to me? My email is sarahb2@bex.net. Thanks!

There w

'Save the Children' 1988 Broadway/London CD  Dec 21 2016, 02:45:36 PM

Hi everybody,

I recently acquired the 2-CD set "Save the Children: A Christmas Spectacular of Carols and Songs", which was recorded in 1988 using the London and Broadway casts from a lot of the hit shows of the time. The casts of Cats, Les Miserables, Phantom of the Opera, Me and My Girl, Chess, etc. participated.

It's a great CD!  Elaine Paige, Colm Wilkinson, Michael Ball, Claire Moore, Jonathan Pryce, and Paul Nicholas are just a few of the artists who participated.

The aggravating thing, though, is that there's no insert to tell you exactly who the soloists are on some of the songs. If I didn't know Paul Nicholas soloed on 'Away in a Manger', I'd have a hard time figuring it out because the listing on the back of the CD case only says "Cast of Cats New York."

I did buy this secondhand, though, so I think maybe there's an insert and I just didn't get it? Does anyone have this CD and can tell me?

Anyway, it's a must have for the musical fan because the performances are all fantastic.  AND they filmed several of the performances for a special, which is really cool because you can see how they incorporated the shows' sets and costumes into the numbers.  Ever want to hear 'Ding Dong Merrily on High' sung on a barricade? Here's your chance! Enjoy!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E1p1En8GKPk&t=1256s

Last I Heard...  Nov 21 2016, 12:58:17 PM

Here's my thoughts on the whole thing:

Pence was OK with what happened, so I'm OK with what happened.  Trump should have stayed out of it.  

That's it.

Mike Pence Gets  Nov 19 2016, 11:56:19 AM

Unfortunately, the more serious ramifications of this will probably be along the lines of Trump defunding PBS, anything to do with the arts, and trying to get 'Hamilton' closed down for sedition.  He probably couldn't do it, but I bet he'd try. He's very thin-skinned. I also honestly think he'll try to get SNL taken off the air for the same reason.  The First Amendment doesn't mean anything to him.

Mike Pence Gets  Nov 19 2016, 09:56:32 AM

Rather than get all huffy that Pence was booed, maybe what Trump should do is reassure those who are worried that they're about to lose a lot of rights that that isn't going to happen.

Maybe he should release a statement basically saying, "Hey, look, I know you're all worried, but don't be! I will work to preserve the rights of all Americans and Pence will do the same. None of you are losing anything, so don't worry and let's all work together to make Ameri

Thoughts on Team StarKid?  Oct 25 2016, 06:02:19 PM

I enjoy their stuff.  Darren Criss and Joe Walker, who played Voldemort in AVPM and Dolores Umbridge in AVPS, were amazing.  The rest of the cast was good too, but those two really stood out to me.

Hamilton in Chicago  Sep 27 2016, 12:12:07 PM

From what I understand, it's not just the poles. It's that the mezzanine and balcony overhangs start very far forward, resulting in most of the back orchestra and mezzanine seats having an obstructed view from the top ( I imagine if you're in the back few rows you feel like you're in a cave - miles from the stage AND you've got this low ceiling over you).  The balcony is also pitched so that the further back you sit, the more the bottom of the stage is cut off, with t

Hamilton in Chicago  Sep 26 2016, 12:38:36 PM

I'm not sure I'm even going to try for Chicago, even though it's much closer to me than NYC.  It looks like just about every seat in that theater has problems, and I'm sure the halfway decent ones were sold long ago to subscribers and presale.  Maybe I'll just see what I can get for Detroit...

Hamilton Tickets - On sale date?  Sep 26 2016, 12:33:31 PM

I couldn't find anything for $179, and I refuse to pay more than that to see a show.  Now that the OBC is about halfway gone (and by next summer I'm sure they'll all be gone), there's no rush to see the show. I'll wait and pay reasonable prices!

What Do You Want the Next Big Movie Musical to Be?  Sep 26 2016, 11:40:47 AM

Dave28282 said: "Miss Saigon.

But only if they don't take the literal approach like they did with Les Mis.
"

And no live singing! Geez, that destroyed 'Les Mis'.  The only number that benefitted from it was 'I Dreamed a Dream'.  'Bring Him Home' is my favorite song from that show, and I can't even watch it in the movie because you can see the pain in Hugh Jackman's face as he s-t-r-a-i-n-s to hit those high note

What Do You Want the Next Big Movie Musical to Be?  Sep 26 2016, 11:34:22 AM

The Secret Garden

Kiss of the Spider Woman

You must log in to view off-topic posts.

Videos

TICKET CENTRAL

Recommended For You