News on your favorite shows, specials & more!

Profile for woeisme3

Member Name: woeisme3
Contact User: You must be logged in to contact BWW members.

Most Recent Message Board Posts:

View Off Topic Posts

CAROLINE, OR CHANGE Previews  Oct 9 2021, 12:43:00 AM
I was there tonight too, and while the physical production is very… Roundabout-y (for lack of a better term) the show itself was just fantastic. I agree that Sharon was more “sad” than Tonya, more of a woman broken down by life vs one turned completely bitter.

The entire supporting cast was strong, but Tamika Lawrence was definitely my favorite, every scene she had with Caroline just worked completely

Phylicia Rashad on Cosby's Release  Jul 5 2021, 03:23:26 PM
Regardless of how it affects the world, I think people are allowed to be upset someone so esteemed would defend an actual rapist?

And her ignorance to the topic certainly will affect students at Howard, especially knowing how conducive the college environment is to sexual misconduct. Ugly all around.

The IN THE HEIGHTS Film Adaptation Thread  Jun 15 2021, 05:02:01 PM
I don’t doubt there’s some bad faith criticism out there, but I really don’t think everyone is trying to “cancel” Lin (which would never happen anyway). A lot of the people I see talking about the issues start off by saying they love the stage version of In The Heights, including myself. You can point out flaws in things you enjoy (even if I didn’t particularly love the adaptation)
The IN THE HEIGHTS Film Adaptation Thread  Jun 14 2021, 11:40:44 PM
I’m not sure “if someone takes offense to something, you should ignore it and call it ridiculous” is the message we should be taking from this, but given your posts in the Rudin threads I’m somehow not surprised.
The IN THE HEIGHTS Film Adaptation Thread  Jun 14 2021, 12:57:50 PM

I watched this yesterday and really loved the direction and cinematography but hated pretty much every change they made. The show itself is already a cutesy version of what life in the hood is really like, and I feel like the movie worked hard to sanitize it even further. Cutting the Benny-Kevin storyline does fail to highlight a real issue in these communities, and gives Benny basically no conflict other than "wants to bone a girl who's going to college" 

Speaking o

Gatsby Musical Heading to Broadway  Apr 28 2021, 05:41:14 PM
https://www.broadway.com/buzz/200701/florence-welch-and-thomas-bartlett-to-score-broadway-bound-the-great-gatsby-musical/

The property itself doesnt really thrill me, but Im so interested to see a musical score by Florence. Shes a masterful songwriter.

Favorite Company Cast Recording  Jan 11 2020, 04:21:57 PM
The 2006 revival is pretty much go to for me. I love Raul’s performance and generally appreciate the less broad performance style, although the original probably had better orchestrations.
Best Songs of the Decade  Dec 30 2019, 05:08:22 PM
Agree with much of what’s been said already, I’d throw in:

Dust and Ashes- The Great Comet
One Day- Grounshog Day

Groundhog Day in San Francisco  Nov 13 2019, 02:14:30 PM
I’m glad this show is finally showing up regionally. I really loved it on Broadway and think it was kind of cursed by a busy season- if it had opened in the 2018 season I think it would’ve been a bigger hit.
Tootsie Is Closing  Nov 12 2019, 02:57:02 PM
Loved this show, saw it twice and it really held up. I think it’ll do really well regionally!
In defense of Tootsie  Oct 22 2019, 09:52:52 PM
I completely agree. Much of the score grew on me and I liked many of the songs a lot better when I saw it the second time.
Is Santino Fontana still out of Tootsie?  Oct 14 2019, 10:33:17 AM
He only took a week off, he’s back in the show now and has been since the beginning of October.
Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 10/6/19  Oct 7 2019, 03:25:39 PM
Truly sad numbers for The Great Society, Linda Vista, and The Lightning Thief.
BEETLEJUICE Reviews  Aug 14 2019, 06:07:26 PM
Saw this on Sunday and really didn’t like it. I thought the book was so lazy and often went for the cheapest possible jokes and refused to engage with the material dramatically. The score was even worse and some of the laziest work I’ve seen in a while (other than King Kong which I also had the “pleasure” of seeing this week) The actors and design were easily the most redeeming parts, and Rob McClure Leslie Keitzer and Kerry Butler are making the best of what they’re given.
Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 7/7/19  Jul 8 2019, 08:16:27 PM
I loved Tootsie as well and thought it had a great score. It was a weak week for almost everyone, but I figured the controversy (which I think is pretty contrived) would probably catch up to its grosses at some point.

Sad to see Frankie and Johnny close early, but you can’t say it’s surprising given the grosses for almost its entire run.

The Ferryman recoups  Jul 8 2019, 12:36:26 PM
http://www.playbill.com/article/the-ferryman-recoups-on-broadway

Congrats to everyone involved with the production!

King Kong to close on August 18  Jun 25 2019, 06:38:30 PM

Cant say this was unexpected....

http://www.playbill.com/article/king-kong-musical-sets-closing-date-on-broadway

Best musical adaptations of movies  Jun 13 2019, 01:51:17 PM
Glad to see Groundhog Day mentioned- I think that’s a perfect example of an adaptation that deepened the movies story without losing its charm.

I’ll also throw my hat in for The Band’s Visit.

Tootsie controversy  Jun 11 2019, 12:51:05 AM
I’m a black and gay member of Gen Z who saw the show again tonight and loved it. I think everyone having a platform, like almost anything in the world has its ups and downs. It’s allowed lots of shows to build strong communities with their fans which is a good thing, but it can also start witch hunts like what happened with this show.

I completely understand why people had serious reservations about this show based on the plot, which has potential to be horrible with a bad adaptation.

Rate the 2019 Tony Performances  Jun 10 2019, 04:14:10 PM
Ain’t Too Proud- B+ Sounded and looked slick and clean. Shows like this have an advantage because they have built in great songs.

Tootsie- B My favorite show of the season, but the performance didn’t make it look amazing. Santino sounded great but Unstoppable is probably their worst production number. I think I Like What She’s Doing or the audition probably would’ve translated better

Oklahoma!- B- Ali was great, but mixing the two Oklahomas ended up giving off a really weird vi

You must log in to view off-topic posts.

Videos

TICKET CENTRAL

Recommended For You