News on your favorite shows, specials & more!

Profile for Paul LW

Paul LW Profile Photo
Member Name: Paul LW
Contact User: You must be logged in to contact BWW members.
Profile: I am about to embark in a BFA in Musical Theatre at the University of Michigan!

Most Recent Message Board Posts:

View Off Topic Posts

THE MOST HAPPY FELLA with George Hearn!
 May 7 2007, 12:53:45 PM
Hey All,

Okay...so I know I haven't been around in like..years...but this week, very last-minute, I'll be auditioning for the Ravinia Festival's Production of THE MOST HAPPY FELLA as a singer, yet why do I have NO CLUE what to sing for my cuts...suggestions! I'm usually an ace at picking out audition rep. but this time I'm stumped!

Let me know!

If you've never been to the Ravinia Festival in Highland Park, IL you are missing out! I got same day tickets last year to see

re: DIRTY DANCING to have North American Premiere in Toronto
 Dec 10 2006, 02:45:00 PM
This is hands down the worst musical I have ever seen.

There is no reason at all why it is onstange. When a musical makes a transition from screen to stage, there has to be a REASON WHY! I would hesitate to even call this a musical. It's more like a direct transition from the screen to the stage.

There were so many moments that seemed amateur-ish in respect to the acting and design decisions. It was trying to be a movie onstange...they took every single scene from the movie an

re: Oh man, I saw The Lion King last night..
 Aug 21 2006, 08:39:52 PM
And that's the magic of theatre.

Brilliant.

re: Toni Braxton as Belle
 Aug 21 2006, 08:33:53 PM
MmmHmmm...belt it for Jesus. =)
 Aug 21 2006, 08:30:22 PM
Dude...

usually it's NOT a sing-a-long. During "most musicals" do you have hundreds of 3-12 year olds reciting every lyric from every song...audibly. No. Catchy--yes. Sing-a-longs--definitely not.

There are many musicals with great catchy songs---even musicals with songs people already know (Mamma Mia! We Will Rock You)....but the audience is not singing a long.

THE LION KING, so far, has been the only exception.

=)

Aug 21 2006, 08:13:11 PM
When I went I thought it was theatrically thrilling...and there are a few good songs (and they are all in a row!..."Shadowland...Endless Night...He lives in You...etc."

But it was also a sing-a-long.

THAT part sucked

Aug 21 2006, 08:09:31 PM
As far as a raised key...I found one also in a "Contemporary Broadway Songs" book, and it was about 3 steps higher...the perfect key for a baritone, making the final "And I...." "..don't Mind"...those money notes, sit at an F.

So, now I sing it =)

Aug 21 2006, 08:09:12 PM
As far as a raised key...I found one also in a "Contemporary Broadway Songs" book, and it was about 3 steps higher...the perfect key for a baritone, making the final "And I...." "..don't Mind"...those money notes, sit at an F.

So, now I sing it =)

re: Your Most Embarassing Theatre Moment
 Aug 15 2006, 12:14:30 AM
Okay, okay...

This is definitely one of the funniest moments I can remember...

I was playing Charlie in BRIGADOON and for our school preview (which were awful!) we were doing selected scenes to spark the schools interest in attending. The company was performing the big opening "Come to the fair!" number, and I was offstage singing...

So, as you all know...Sandy the Candy-Man has his little solo...

Then, during what should be Meg's solo (but was given to my fri

re: The Audience at Sweeney Tonight
 Jun 14 2006, 09:17:17 PM
Kind of along the same lines...but the night BEFORE the TONY's was an incredible experience. I was talking to Lauren Molina afterwards (backstage, where also Glenn Close walked by---what!) and we were talking about how fast the show went tonight---we think the cast's excitement about the TONY'S cut off like 10 minutes of the show---the energy was great, my seats were great, and it was amazing.

And the stage door lady was awesome, too!

re: Something you weren't supposed to see during a Broadway show
 Jun 2 2006, 01:15:21 AM
In the current GREASE tour...Sandy and Danny would write messages on each other's backs during the sing-a-long portion at the end with Frankie Avalon.
re: 'My Broadway Debut' on CBS
 Jun 2 2006, 01:12:45 AM
It's so strange to hear you guys talking about these people...because out of the 10...I know 3..personally!

So strange!

But just to add to what everyone's saying...I think it's different going into an audition knowing your stuff and just having fun and autioning (i.e. the intial audition taped segments) compared to being in a competition at 8:30am and knowing that thousands of people are watching you throughout the nation!

Just something to keep in mind.

re: Torch Songs?
 Jan 1 2006, 02:45:23 PM
Where a song is sung, on top of a piano or at a cabaret, has nothing to do with whether it's a torch song or not.

It's a song (usually female) singing for unrequited love, a lost love, someone who is not there...this goes back to when men would go off to war and women would light a candle in the window for them (Candle in the Window?, anyone?)

That is a torch song.

re: Kate Loprest....Wicked in Chicago
 Dec 31 2005, 01:59:59 PM
She played Moralis last year in our A CHORUS LINE!

Yeahhhh UofM!

re: Which 'Jesus Christ Superstar' CD is the best?
 Jun 13 2005, 11:47:32 AM
After writing a 50 page research project on JESUS CHRIST SUPERSTAR---I kid you not.

I would recommend the Original Concept Album.

Those kids belt like there's not tomorrow, and what's hotter than that?

Right.

Men can belt
 May 19 2005, 09:30:43 PM
men have three parts of their voice. chest-head-falsetto.

most "belting" comes at the end of their chest voice into their head... I feel like head voice is what sounds most like belting...for me, those notes are high A-C.

If that makes sense to any other men/bari-tenors out there.

:)

re: Wicked performance on Today Show this morning
 May 19 2005, 09:08:06 PM
This was the cutest thing ever.

It made my day.

re: Congrats to Oklahoma City University..2 Tony Noms in 2 years
 May 11 2005, 09:52:39 PM
And the University of Michigan has 3 just this year! Jack O'Brien, Erin Dilly, and Celia Keenan-Bolger.

Holla!

=)

re: GAVIN GAVIN GAVIN
 Mar 9 2005, 10:04:07 PM
So....Whitney Bashor---the girl who was proposed to is in my department! She played Val in A CHORUS LINE this fall. It's a crazy world! Speaking of CHORUS LINE, Charlie W (the original Mike in the CHORUS LINE movie) taught my jazz class Monday and Wednesday.

CRAZY!

Ending...
 Jan 29 2005, 12:02:56 AM
I don't think the ending is a cop-out at all. I think it is even MORE dramatic that instead of the convienant "Well, Elphaba dies and some people are sad" they chose an even stronger point in "Elphaba lives and her best friend will never know and neither will anyone"

Doesn't that make sense? Kind of like how people don't believe in the death sentance, because they think a person would suffer more if they lived with the guilt of what they did?

Elphaba simply dying would be too

You must log in to view off-topic posts.

Videos

TICKET CENTRAL

Recommended For You