News on your favorite shows, specials & more!

Profile for jtropia

jtropia Profile Photo
Member Name: jtropia
Contact User: You must be logged in to contact BWW members.

Most Recent Message Board Posts:

View Off Topic Posts

re: The Great NON-MUSICAL theater performances of the 20th Century
 Oct 9 2004, 03:17:21 PM
Gonna try and limit myself to a few, though I realize now many of these are 21st century when I thoroughly began my theatregoing...

Have to second Fiona Shaw's Medea with the person who brought it up above. Absolutely mesmerizing.

I would watch Mercedes Ruehl read the phone book, but her Stevie in the original cast of 'The Goat' still haunts me, especially her final tableau. (Not to knock Turner, who I'm sure will do a terrific job, but I was really pulling for Mercedes to be M

re: The Delicious Ms. Marvel Interviewed In NYT
 Oct 9 2004, 03:01:19 PM
What a delightful interview...short but very sweet indeed. "Hedda" was my first opportunity to see Ms Marvel live, and she completely lived up to her inherently expectation raising name.

I'm quite intrigued by her comparing the work to a Pollock painting...I like that. The production captivated me tremendously, and yet the gentlemen immediately to my left was completely turned off by it and scoffed 'Pretentious!' as he hurriedly left the theatre. To each his own, but it's heartening to

Few more notes on 'bare facts'
 Sep 13 2004, 02:08:08 AM
From the way Damon spoke, most shows don't seem to --- he said it was predominantly a film technique. The actors seemed relatively unfamiliar with the idea onstage, Natalie even mentioned how it caught her off-guard at first, as she expected to have the little 'vamp' to cue her into her songs, which is nonexistant in the constantly moving click track.

It also prompted an interesting question from the audience, about how whether the click track inhibits the singers at all...Damon had a

Sep 13 2004, 12:46:41 AM
It's funny...as I quickly left the theatre to meet up w/friend for dinner, I briefly though to myself, 'These people must be wondering why ever this man is copiously taking notes,' lol.

As I alluded (and since it was brought up, I'll elaborate , I was making notes for a few things: an article I'm pitching to my campus paper, since I've no doubt there are numerous people here who'd love the show if they became acquainted with it, a documentary I'm m

Sep 13 2004, 12:00:39 AM
Hi, all:

Figured I would throw in my few cents about the evening tonight at Ars Nova --- was taking notes for an article/potential doc project/scene, so I grabbed some choice quotes:

BTW --- I heart the Ars Nova space in a big way & was reminded of that tonight.

The evening started out with questions about the show's creation and how the cast related to their characters/their high school experiences. First nifty fact of the night: Damon wrote all the music before the l

'Bare' Rush business
 Sep 6 2004, 06:22:55 PM
2day4u:

From the tone of the little ad, ("STUDENT RUSH: $21.25 at box office 2 hours prior to curtain), I'm thinking it's a rush that starts 2 hours prior, similar to ATA...I think if it was a lotto, it would've specified. I might see "Symphonie Fantastique" this weekend, and if I do, I'll stop by the box office and see if I can get someone to tell me something official. (Clearly, when it's matters as important as this, it's best to hear the official word, lol).

Peace -
Joe

'Bare' Rush business
 Sep 6 2004, 04:41:24 PM
Hi, all:

Fan of the thread & its seemingly endless nature --- proof that you can't keep good fans down!

I was perusing the latest Time Out New York and spotted a quarter page ad for the show w/rush info in it --- rush will be $21.25 and two hours prior to curtain, student ID required, natch. No seating location was specified. I'm not sure if this has been posted yet (I don't feel it has), and I figured this would indeed be the best place to share it/spread the word.

I,

re: Heres one: Best Show Endings...
 Sep 1 2004, 01:22:24 AM
Hi, all:

While many of my favorite endings have already been mentioned, I have to throw a vote behind "Sweeney Todd", too, not just the very end reprise of The Ballad, but the entire final sequence. It's amazing how it ties up the main plot lines AND really hits home the 'to seek revenge may lead to Hell' idea. There are a number of twists in the last sequence...but the key one (which, of course, I won't spoil) blew my mind the first time I experienced it, and still gives me chills to t

Some musings on the dragon (slight spoilers?)
 Aug 29 2004, 08:54:31 PM
Hi, there:

The Dragon makes more sense if you've read Maguire's "Wicked" novel (and IMO I think they put it in there as a little bonus to people who've read it, so they'd get a little extra reference, and if you didn't read it, you can at least marvel at the nifty set piece).

It's somewhat elaborate, but in the beginning of the novel, Elphaba's Father is preaching out against a massive traveling machine called 'The Time Dragon', a huge mechanical dragon/clock which was going f

re: Bare Ticket Price
 Aug 25 2004, 01:18:16 PM
Hi, there:

The discount is part of the huge Season of Savings promotion. I've attached a link to the web site, since there's a number of really good deals for some shows...the BARE deal is for $45 tickets, which is what I myself might use to see it (the first time of many, anyway, lol), since it's not tremendously more than what I paid at ATA. The code itself is SAVE6, and I feel it's what most of the Telecharge sponsored shows use.

Hope this helped out!
-Joe T.

re: Tickets/seating at the Gershwin. Help please:)
 Aug 23 2004, 11:56:28 PM
Hi, there:

I was in a similar situation in November of last year, getting tickets for my friend & her Mom. The box office had choices in either Row Q of the Orhcestra or the 1st row of the Mezz, on the side. The box office staffer actually recommended the orchestra slightly more, because the sides of Row Q have nobody in front of them, due to the way the theatre is built. I've attached a link to a pretty accurate seating chart at the bottom of this page. The seats they're offering you a

You must log in to view off-topic posts.

Videos

TICKET CENTRAL

Recommended For You