News on your favorite shows, specials & more!

Profile for Mike66

Member Name: Mike66
Contact User: You must be logged in to contact BWW members.

Most Recent Message Board Posts:

View Off Topic Posts

Tickets I cannot use  Jun 20 2022, 12:51:34 PM

Hi

I have a pair of tickets for INTO THE WOODS for June 28 (front mezzanine) that I cannot use.  Can anyone suggest the best way to dispose of them so they dont go to waste?

THANKS

mike

Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 5/26/19  May 29 2019, 08:57:07 PM

LuPita2 said: "No, it's really not. Judging by the popularity of Angels in America last year, I think people make time for brilliant theater. They will spend an entire day seeing an 8 hour show, or devote two days to it if it's worth it."

So here's a hint for you that you may find shocking, since you are obviously always able to do whatever you want.  The rest of us aren't like that.  Some people don't have the time (regardless

2019 Tony Awards Poll  May 13 2019, 05:24:13 PM

pollster2 said: "It was brought to my attention that someone spammed the poll. As a result, I was forced to delete about 70 responses -- all submitted in roughly a minute and with nearly identical results. I see no reason to spam this poll. Thank you to those who have only submitted one ballot."

You should tell us (a) how this changes the results and (b) who was the big benefactor of the spamming.  Seems like a fair punishment that fits the crime... (Sorry, Gilb

Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 5/12/19  May 13 2019, 05:18:25 PM

Sauja said: "I get that The Prom is holding out for the Tonys and (maybe) the Ryan Murphy Netflix production. And maybe Be More Chill is holding on in the hopes that their numbers will boost when kids are on summer vacation. But real question: can anyone guess why King Kong hasn't pulled the plug? They must be atrophying money, no?"

I'll bet they think it would be embarrassing to close before their awards are received at the Tonys.  "Thanks for the

oklahoma seating  May 5 2019, 06:34:44 PM

If you could sit anywhere for this show -- where would you sit?  

(And if your first choice is stage seating, could you please also include a second choice?)

THANKS as always -- I have come to rely on your advice.

m

Dear Whizzer -- Ranking this Year's Upcoming Musicals  Mar 30 2019, 11:09:30 PM

Whizzer (and those who have seen them all):

I can get to NYC this summer, but wont be able to see all of this year's April opening musicals in the time I have.  Can you put them in 'ranking order', top to bottom.

Here's the list I've got (in alpha order)

Beetlejuice,  Hadestown,  Oklahoma, Tootsie

THANKS

mike

Restaurant Recommendations  Mar 6 2019, 08:50:55 PM

Masseria

but make a reservation NOW

PLAYBILL Covers of the 2018-2019 Season  Feb 22 2019, 06:22:18 PM

EJ24642 said: "

The new cover for The Ferryman
"

Just fabulous -- where can I get one -- I'll trade one of the originals for it  -- anybody got an extra???

How Many 'Hits"  Feb 9 2019, 10:19:47 AM

With the recent closing notices, I was thinking about how many 'hits' ('commercial' shows that recoup) actually occur on Broadway.

Here's my list for the last few years.  Am I missing any?

2015-2016

Hamilton & Waitress

2016-2017

Evan Hansen, Come From Away

2017-2018

Springsteen, Harry Potter, (My Fair Lady?), (Frozen -- perhaps to come), (Mean Girls -- perhaps to come)

Broadway Show Admission Prices  Jan 27 2019, 10:36:18 PM

GavestonPS said: "Dave13 said: "You can use the Broadway grosses tool on this site.

I looked at the last week of each year, which is the holidays.

The earliest is 1984. $31.34
1990 $39.72
2000 $67.73
2010 $99.62
2018 $152.56
"

To push it back a few years, I remember paying $16.50 for a top price ticket to ANNIE in 1977. I thought it was outrageous (even before I endured the show)!

In the 1960s, it wasn&

THE FERRYMAN Ending (Spoilers)  Jan 26 2019, 08:35:19 PM

LLW2 wrote:   I'm intrigued by your idea that Oisin set the goose free deliberately, that it wasn't an accident. That adds a layer to the Act I ending.

OMG -- I just went back and looked at the end of Act I.  Now I'm more sure of the idea than ever.  Now add to all that -- exactly how is the goose slaughtered?  Yeah, that too.

THE FERRYMAN Ending (Spoilers)  Jan 26 2019, 08:27:22 PM

LLW2 said: "Mike66 said: "The written play states specifically that Aunt Maggie Far Away hears Banshees in the final scene."

It says we do too! The stage directions say, "Outside, the Banshees scream. It rises." I don't remember hearing offstage screams, but as others have said, there's a heck of a lot going on in that last minute.
"

The final page of the play reads (in part):

The sound getting closer.&nbs

Which musical - 7 year old?  Jan 26 2019, 05:22:33 PM

PHANTOM.

Looks, it's one of thegreatest showsever, right?

But more to the point, I was 5 when my parents took me to see "Pajama Game" (1955) -- I still remember the 'magic' of it.  The dancing, the movement, 'all those people down there.'  

If you want to start her out with the best, the costumes, the music, and yes, the wonder of the story -- you really cant go wrong.

And, I'll also second the recommendation about LION K

Merrily or the Ferryman?  Jan 26 2019, 05:15:05 PM

FERRYMAN>   Easy choice, especially with the ones you are already scheduled for.  It's not a star driven piece, it's an ensemble presentation, so the cast specifics aren't critical.  (I assume they'll have  the Goose and the Rabbit totally ready to go....)

ENJOY.

THE FERRYMAN Ending (Spoilers)  Jan 26 2019, 02:08:54 PM

It's Uncle Pat who talks about the Ferryman on the River Styx.  His point being that The Ferryman cannot take a soul to rest (to either heaven or hell) until there is a body.  So Uncle Pat inquires of the priest as to what happens to someone's soul in the time between death and the discovery of the body of the deceased.

The written play states specifically that Aunt Maggie Far Away hears Banshees in the final scene.

THE FERRYMAN Ending (Spoilers)  Jan 25 2019, 09:25:10 PM

I too would have bet my after show cheesecake that there would be a murder -- and definitely after the proposal scene I was sure I knew who was going to die.

All credit to the writer, the director and the cast to tell such a wonderful tale.

THE FERRYMAN Ending (Spoilers)  Jan 25 2019, 09:18:42 PM

Please consider the wonderful structure of the play:

Oisin lets the goose out, probably hoping it can escape its fate.  Which of course it cant.  Nor can he.  (Nor can any of us...)

What happens to the Goose??  What could possibly happen to a Goose being fattened for the feast? -- only one of two things.....

Waverly Gallery or The Ferryman?  Jan 17 2019, 09:14:53 PM

Saw them both last weekend.  

You cant go wrong with either one.

If I had to pick one to see right now, it would be WAVERLY, because Elaine May is fabulous and its closing soon.  I think FERRYMAN will run for quite a while.

To the comments made here -- I agree that the intervals (to move the sets around) in Waverly were annoying at the time, but I forgot them by the next morning, and the performances stayed.  The accents were very difficult in Ferryman -- t

Ferryman accents  Jan 11 2019, 12:05:34 PM

Saw and loved Ferryman this past weekend.  Well, I loved it when I could understand it. The accents were very very hard for me, and I lost a lot of dialogue.

I thought it was me, except that at intermission and leaving the theater, I heard lots of people commenting that they didnt understand this or that -- large chunks of material.

And sitting around after the show and talking with the group that went -- there were a half dozen people who basically heard just parts

Waverly Gallery Changes  Jan 11 2019, 12:00:09 PM

Saw Waverly last weekend after seeing the Off Broadway production years ago.  (It's different seeing it at age 40 than at age 60...)

I so very much remember a scene in the hallway that served as the climax between Grandmother and Grandson.  And then the Grandson spoke to the audience with the line "Well, Grandma had gone to pieces, but the pieces were still Grandma."

I've used that  line for decades trying to explain dementia

You must log in to view off-topic posts.

Videos

TICKET CENTRAL

Recommended For You