News on your favorite shows, specials & more!

Profile for ¿Macavity?

¿Macavity? Profile Photo
Member Name: ¿Macavity?
Contact User: You must be logged in to contact BWW members.

Most Recent Message Board Posts:

View Off Topic Posts

Sondheim/Ives HERE WE ARE @ The Shed  Sep 28 2023, 06:57:45 PM

I just have to say (even though it obvs isn't necessary) how unbelievably excited I am to read reports. Oh, to be at the first performance of Sondheim's final work... How am I supposed to sleep knowing that when I wake up reports will be in? It's like Christmas x10!

I saw Old Friends first preview in London last week, and though it was enjoyable, it didn't quite have the cathartic release I was after. While watching, I kept daydreaming of how nice it'l

3x Tony winning designer Franne Lee has died  Sep 2 2023, 03:12:17 PM

I recently watched that documentary on the original London production of Sweeney and was really blown away by the costumes and makeup. For some reason the unusual beauty of her designs never struck me in the Lansbury-Hearn recording, but now it's all I can see! Brilliant and imaginative work. RIP.

Sheldon Harnick has died at age 99  Jun 23 2023, 10:44:20 AM

A beautiful career.

RIP

Andrew Lloyd Webber’s Coronation Anthem for King Charles III  May 6 2023, 11:13:09 PM

Not an ALW fan (my name is a goof, made it on a stupid cheeky whim) but I thought it was alright. If lacking in inspiration, it is at least a very traditional British sounding tune. It's pleasant, and positive; what more was needed?

RIP, Barbara Bryne, who has died at 94  May 4 2023, 05:26:12 AM

Such a brilliant, brilliant actor. Echoing what others have said, her Jack's Mother and both of her roles in SUNDAY are absolute perfection. RIP.

Olivier-winning LIFE OF PI will have American premiere at A.R.T.  Mar 13 2023, 07:59:40 AM

inception said: "¿Macavity? said: "I saw this shortly before it closed in London. I agree that it was visually breathtaking and that the script is very rough. Also some really dodgy acting from a few people; hopefully it was an off-night.

For me, the worst part

Click Here To Toggle Spoiler Content

Olivier-winning LIFE OF PI will have American premiere at A.R.T.  Mar 11 2023, 10:59:18 AM

I saw this shortly before it closed in London. I agree that it was visually breathtaking and that the script is very rough. Also some really dodgy acting from a few people; hopefully it was an off-night.

For me, the worst part

Click Here To Toggle Spoiler Content
Tony-winning scenic designer Eugene Lee (SWEENEY, WICKED, etc) has died at age 83.  Feb 8 2023, 08:37:50 AM

What a brilliant career. RIP.

Ryan & Uzele to lead NEW YORK, NEW YORK On Broadway  Jan 12 2023, 01:05:11 PM

Oy, that article is a decade off on Fred Ebb's death.

Sondheim's "Big 5"  Jan 11 2023, 05:32:30 PM

The Big 5 of R&H is based on what their biggest hits were, so should that same logic be applied here? In that case, Company, Into the Woods, Sweeney Todd, Forum, and Night Music would be the answer, as I believe they're his only works (that he did both music and lyrics) to have recouped in their original stagings - though if I recall correctly, Into the Woods and Sweeney recouped on tour. I don't know though, with his shows a lot seems to come down to cultural significance (like S

Cast Recordings That Have Transformed Your Opinion of a Score  Nov 24 2022, 05:43:05 PM

Didn't get to see it on Broadway, but if people are gonna show love to The Visit, I must chime in - what a recording...

Commercial Flop to Hit Revival  Nov 7 2022, 06:00:02 PM

I think it recouped on tour.

Bad Overtures?  Oct 21 2022, 09:13:00 AM

Hard to think of a truly bad overture... But for your other question, I think WONDERLAND and GHOST have waaay better overtures than the shows themselves.

Angela Lansbury Has Passed Away  Oct 15 2022, 01:36:43 PM

A bit late, it's been a busy week and I just haven't had time to process.

My introduction to Angela Lansbury was seeing her in the recording of Sweeney Todd. She. Blew. My. Mind. I still marvel at that performance everytime I watch it - truly remarkable.

I'll miss her dearly...

INTO THE WOODS 2022 Broadway Cast Recording Thread  Oct 2 2022, 08:30:38 AM

I've given it a few tries, but I can't get into this recording. Hard to nail down exactly why though, something about it just isn't resonating with me. It's well produced and I'm a long time fan of these performers, but something isn't doing it for me.

I'm drawn to say it's the performances that are leaving me cold, but that seems impossible because, again, I really admire these performers. I don't know, maybe if I had seen this production it would h

Into the Woods Bath, UK edition  Sep 9 2022, 08:27:01 PM

I returned last night and the show was considerably tighter. Milky was less intrusive, the characters felt much more put together, and a few small - though important - moments worked better. That said, it still has its problems. I love this production's take on the Mysterious Man, but it doesn't totally click. Why the little girl in the beginning? Why the death-like Mysterious Man? And what is their relationship? I really admire this production, but it still needs a bit of work to liv

Allegiance - London premiere in 2023  Sep 6 2022, 06:02:26 AM

I saw Pippin at Charing Cross, and it is quite intimate. Never saw Allegiance, but the cast recording left me underwhelmed. Might check this out though if I can make it into London during its run.

West End CABARET Eyeing Broadway Transfer to the Hudson?  Sep 6 2022, 05:57:42 AM

^ That was my experience as well. It was great for the rest of the show, though. A particularly interesting moment was when during "What Would You Do" Schneider turned away from Cliff, and just our section of the audience got to see this look of restrained emotion on her face. Brilliant staging/acting.

Point is, either section is great, except for during the title number, but even that's not too bad.

Favorite Merrily Recording?  Sep 1 2022, 02:36:45 PM

My favourite is the Leicester/Haymarket recording. Nice cast, great orchestra, and I really like the open sound of it. A big highlight is the orchestrations in "Now You Know" with the whole: "What's your choice, count to ten..." love that bit. 

Second is the OBC - fascinating, and as said above by another, "Our Time" really shines.

Into the Woods Bath, UK edition  Aug 29 2022, 05:58:39 AM

Referring to the change of venue from the Old Vic, one of the producers said: "We feel privileged to be working on this wonderful work and we are extremely grateful to Steve and James Lapine for their support as we searched for a new home for this production."

That's what I could find just now, but I could have sworn they had both Sondheim and Lapine's blessing. I don't know where to find that now.

You must log in to view off-topic posts.

Videos

TICKET CENTRAL

Recommended For You