News on your favorite shows, specials & more!

Profile for Johnnywhatwhat2

Johnnywhatwhat2 Profile Photo
Member Name: Johnnywhatwhat2
Contact User: You must be logged in to contact BWW members.

Most Recent Message Board Posts:

View Off Topic Posts

Official Kickstarter to get Spring Awakening to perform on the Tonys
 May 26 2016, 01:48:28 PM

HogansHero said: "Johnnywhatwhat2 said: "While AnnieBlack is technically correct, there is nothing in the contract between Deaf West (Kickstarter campaign creator) and campaign backers that says the campaign backers would be paid back. The only contract - read the Kickstarter fine print - is this: if you are a backer, and you are pledging at a given level, technically you are buying a cast album or t-shirt or social media shoutout or dinner with

May 25 2016, 10:55:59 PM

AnnieBlack said: "Basically, they are using this to drum up support for a tour- if a tour is successful, it will pay back the investors in NY, and Davenport will be paid back and get a weekly office fee, etc. 

The people who put up the $200k for this tour commercial will not be paid back. 

"

While AnnieBlack is technically correct, there is nothing in the contract between Deaf West (Kickstarter campaign

May 25 2016, 10:27:41 PM

GreenSharpie said: He just simply needs to learn how to market his shows without turning literally everyone off with tone-deaf tactics.

"

What kind of tactics? Yikes. ("Literally"wink

NSFW American Psycho Instagram
 May 25 2016, 01:26:35 PM

AnnieBlack said: "Not allowed in a republican congressional office... oh wait

"

Hilarious. Speaking of Republicans, wonder when Donald Trump is going to see this show. 

NSFW American Psycho Instagram
 May 24 2016, 06:10:39 PM

https://www.instagram.com/psychocast/

Unbelievable. I'm going to the gym now. And dieting. (Or maybe i'll just see American Psycho for the fourth time). 

What's next for former Angus Mcindoe / Angus Cafe space?
 May 20 2016, 07:30:26 PM

That was my first thought too, but then I found this re: the Helen Hayes renovation plans:

http://newyorkyimby.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/12/HelenHayesTheater_20151124_15.jpg

Looks like the expansion of the St. James (that Riedel also touches on) is on the East-facing side of the St. James, so would not affect it's westerly neighbor (former Angus).

What's next for former Angus Mcindoe / Angus Cafe space?
 May 20 2016, 07:09:53 PM

Now that St. James is the confirmed home of Disney's Frozen (and will attract zillions of tourists for the foreseeable future), what will become of the former Angus space right next door? I would say this real estate just got a lot more valuable.

Curious Incident or Eclipsed?
 May 20 2016, 06:58:42 PM

Definitely see Curious Incident and try for front mezzanine seats. It is amazing and has some of the most unique staging you will ever see.

Way too early 2016 Tony predictions
 Apr 25 2016, 01:18:40 PM

I agree with neonlightsxo but think School of Rock could take Shuffle Along's place. Hamilton is a lock. Waitress and American Psycho are pretty sure bets. 4th is a toss up. If there are 5 and Shuffle is in the Original category, then both School of Rock and Shuffle will be in. Bright Star is a dark horse candidate on 5th slot. 

Sorry Jeffrey K, it's clear you don't like Psycho but maybe you should remind us again.  

Thank You for all the Bullsht
 Apr 23 2016, 01:10:29 PM

Amen to that songanddanceman! I saw the show again earlier this week and it's truly boundary-pushing, provocative and exciting. The work the creative team did during previews was outstanding, really really tightened up the show and the cast has hit their stride. I'm telling everyone to run, not walk - an amazing piece of theater.

Article: SHUFFLE ALONG Producers Ask to Be Excused from Awards
 Apr 20 2016, 09:58:16 PM

I think there's a decent possibility the April 28 opening date gets pushed (especially if they don't get the revival category that Rudin is pushing for). 50/50 chance, IMO 

AMERICAN PSYCHO Previews
 Mar 25 2016, 01:27:41 PM

QueenAlice said: "Johnny -- do you think anyone in the cast (aside from Mr. Walker) gives a performance that could sneak in for a Tony nomination?

Not sure yet but probably. The other showy supporting roles in this are Helene Yorke (Evelyn) and Drew Morelein (Paul) and Theo Stockman (Tim). Maybe Jen Damiano (Jean) who is the innocent, beauty to the beast, heart of the story. But it's really Ben - he is almost the entire

AMERICAN PSYCHO Previews
 Mar 25 2016, 01:17:56 PM

gleek4114 said: "How was Morgan Weed? I know she is playing Patrick's Girlfriend's best friend who he has an affair with. How big is her role? I saw her in First Wives Club and she was a standout in her smallish role, so I was curious to hear what she was like in this.

Morgan was terrific. Her role is not huge, but she nails the archetype of a late 80's privileged Manhattanite and has two or three of the funniest lines in the show.

Waitress Previews
 Mar 25 2016, 12:53:09 PM

Does anyone think there will be a cancellation line for this tonight? Wish I got my ticket earlier, all I see are some premium tickets.

BRIGHT STAR Reviews
 Mar 25 2016, 12:48:12 PM

When did the "critics pick" thing start at the New York Times? I do find it strange that they have given it to shows that have not been doing well business-wise and not the opposite. Is there a contrarian aspect to this or is it just coincidence?

AMERICAN PSYCHO Previews
 Mar 25 2016, 12:45:41 PM

I was at the first preview last night and think this has all the makings of a hit. Favorite show moments were the business card scene and Cards, You Are What You Wear, the dinner party scene (which I don't want to give away) and the nightclub stuff, which were all choreographed like a music video. It is definitely more surreal and more out there than the film and book, but it works in this context. The show definitely needs some tightening, could probably cut down

American Psycho OBCR released 3/25
 Mar 24 2016, 02:52:45 PM

The new music video is SOOOOOOO completely different from anything else I've seen to promote a Broadway show, I like (and really respect) that they are taking risks and not shying away from the source material:

http://www.thedailybeast.com/videos/2016/03/24/cast-of-american-psycho-s-selling-out.html 

Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 3/20/16
 Mar 21 2016, 05:27:17 PM

SweetLips asked: "Some on here,who can, see everything, others are more selective, but what drives the GP to see a certain show."

That's the million dollar question! If show producers had a crystal ball and could ask only one question, it would probably be this. Advertising and word of mouth are important (reviews, etc) and those amplify the public interest, but hard to squeeze blood from a stone. I think it comes down to the show itself - it either captures the 

Favorite post-theatre activity?
 Mar 20 2016, 10:09:45 PM

For colder months, Ramen at Ippudo. And then read the Playbill when I get home.

AMERICAN PSYCHO Previews
 Mar 20 2016, 06:36:26 PM

Was planning to go this weekend but might switch to first preview (don't want any spoilers out there). It's one of my favorite films, and I love the music I've heard so far - very British New Wave. But I have NO idea how they're going to stage some of the famous scenes, like Paul Allen's murder and the threesome with the prostitutes. Very untypical Broadway fare, but that's kind of interesting.

You must log in to view off-topic posts.

Videos

TICKET CENTRAL

Recommended For You