News on your favorite shows, specials & more!

Profile for bear88

Member Name: bear88
Contact User: You must be logged in to contact BWW members.

Most Recent Message Board Posts:

View Off Topic Posts

Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 5/5/24  May 7 2024, 04:50:20 PM

The Cabaret numbers don’t surprise me. It’s one of the most famous, and best, musicals in history and is led - for now - by a movie star and has been marketed as a can’t-miss event after a wildly successful run in London. As noted above, it got a solid number of Tony nominations too.

The critical pans might hurt the revival eventually but probably not until September at the earliest.

Sweeney Todd got better reviews, even if it w

Personal Non-Eligable  May 4 2024, 05:06:39 AM

Kad said: "This is a great list, and just bums me out that the decision was made to withdraw Here We Are from all awards consideration. I think there were quite a number of elements in it that deserved to be honored."

I was sort of bummed after I saw it because it was such an impressive production and because Rachel Bay Jones gave such a wonderful performance. But I’m actually fine with it now. Let other shows get their flowers without a Sondheim show, though l

LEMPICKA closing May 19  May 4 2024, 04:52:29 AM

The ‘vanity project’ discussion is interesting to me. I was actually very curious about this show for a variety of reasons, including Chavkin’s involvement because I really liked her previous Broadway musicals, Amber Iman, and what sounded on paper like an intriguing show. I never saw it and won’t get the chance, but the ‘vanity project’ label can be applied to many of Broadway’s most iconic musicals. 

That said, it’s becoming v

LEMPICKA closing May 19  May 3 2024, 03:02:25 AM

I sometimes worry that Amber Iman, who I have seen often but not in this, is destined to be in shows that aren’t good enough for her. She’s in two other musicals that are intended for Broadway. Both need a fair amount of work, and Iman is wasted in Hippest Trip, the Soul Train musical. She’s the star of Goddess and was terrific, but that show had book (and score, except for a few songs) problems that I fear will be tough to overcome barr

STEREOPHONIC Original Broadway Cast Recording Thread  May 2 2024, 02:30:31 AM

Much to my dismay, I didn’t catch this off-Broadway last fall even though I am a Will Butler fan. (It was in previews and the three-hour length made me hesitant to recommend to my partner.) I am certainly curious about the cast recording and wondering how this will work. I thought there was just one complete song in the play, with parts of others. Will this be a lot of music that wasn’t played in the show?

A STRANGE LOOP coming to San Francisco in April 2024  Apr 29 2024, 04:00:18 AM

The reviews of the San Francisco production are favorable but are basically just review of the show, aside from some focus on Malachi McCaskill, the college junior who played Usher. Karen D'Souza in the Mercury News describes him as "sweetly endearing" while Lily Janiak in the San Francisco Chronicle is rather harsh, writing that he "doesn't have the chops to carry a work of this depth" while also criticizing his vocal performance.

I'm going to defend Mc

A STRANGE LOOP coming to San Francisco in April 2024  Apr 21 2024, 03:36:08 AM

I saw the fourth preview at the Toni Rembe Theater in San Francisco on Saturday night and it was a unique experience. I had never seen the musical before so was going in pretty cold. Malachi McCaskill, a junior at the University of North Carolina Greensboro,  played Usher.

At first, I had trouble tracking the lyrics and wasn’t sure if the sound mix was off or if the show just wasn’t going to be for me. At times, it was a little hard to understand the actors, which detr

LEMPICKA Reviews  Apr 16 2024, 05:12:36 AM

I haven’t seen Lempicka, but Sara Holdren’s review was thoughtful and seemed pretty fair to me. I was glancing at Frank Rich’s reviews of Stephen Sondheim’s shows when he was the New York Times’ lead critic. Aside from describing the original Merrily as a ‘shambles’ - in the first paragraph, no less - he was disappointed with Into The Woods and Assassins too. The only raves were fo

Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 4/7/24  Apr 10 2024, 04:40:59 PM

Re: Merrily. Short-term (three mid-week performances), I doubt Groff’s absences will have any larger box office impact than Radcliffe’s. But if the revival tried to carry on without Groff, that would be a challenge. Merrily, after all, has been ‘fixed’ for years, including in identical productions years before both in the U.S. and in England. What made it really work was Groff, placed at its center in what is (almost) a memory play. He

Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 4/7/24  Apr 10 2024, 12:30:50 PM

SonofRobbieJ said: "hearthemsing22 said: "SonofRobbieJ said: "When reading Broadway Flash's posts, does anyone else have the thought 'God, I hope they're wearing their helmet today to prevent further damage'?

Just me?
"

Why so rude? Just block them. There's a handy dandy feature on here to do that.
"

Because it's too much fun reading their inanity. Plus, I think they're pretty much trolli

Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 4/7/24  Apr 10 2024, 06:27:37 AM

I am sort of fascinated by the recent strength of Hadestown, in part because I really enjoyed the musical when it opened on Broadway in 2019 and wondered how long it would run. Even when the box office was weak, after the show reopened during the pandemic, it would consistently come close to selling out - which made me wonder if it was becoming one of those shows that tourists will check out because it’s a familiar name.

That seems to be playing out with s

HERE WE ARE heads to the recording studio  Apr 5 2024, 06:41:45 PM

Maybe it’s obvious, but it is not clear to me if any of interludes will include the bishop’s conversation with Marianne. There isn’t really any music with that, as I recall, so perhaps not.

Mayer-helmed GALILEO musical and more part of Berkeley Rep season  Apr 4 2024, 11:50:59 PM

CoffeeBreak said: "I hope the writers listen to Mayer.  The reading we saw was NOT good.  It's good he has a "name" - because the material was not great then."

Did you see the 2019 reading, which was directed by Mayer and starred Esparza and Solea Pfeiffer? Or the earlier one from 2014? The same bookwriter and composers were involved by 2019.

CABARET at the Kit Kat Club Previews  Apr 4 2024, 12:41:35 AM

Natascia Diaz was a terrific Sally in the San Francisco Playhouse production of Follies a couple of years ago. One of my favorite performances, and she played the character a little differently each time I saw the show. Not surprised she’s doing well in Cabaret.

Mayer-helmed GALILEO musical and more part of Berkeley Rep season  Apr 3 2024, 01:36:29 AM

I have tickets to this on the Sunday after it opens next month. The musical has been bouncing around for a decade. There was a reported reading in 2014 and another apparently in 2019. Michael Weiner has been involved in the musical from the start. Zoe Sarnak, his co-composer and lyricist, wasn’t involved in earlier versions of the show, from what I can tell. I have never seen Raul Esparza live before, so that will be interesting.

CABARET at the Kit Kat Club Previews  Apr 2 2024, 03:23:24 AM

I am just relieved to have reached the point that the comments are about the actual Broadway musical.

DeBose to host the 77th Annual Tony Awards (2024) at Lincoln Center  Mar 28 2024, 04:42:16 AM

DeBose did a good job last year, especially with that opening dance. As others have noted, she keeps getting work in high-profile movies. She’s not a mainstream star who will draw non-Broadway audiences, but that’s a ratings issue. I doubt people are clamoring to do the gig. 

Show That Have Sat Down  Mar 25 2024, 04:29:15 PM

bowtie7 said: "Phantom had a sit down production in Los Angeles. After it closed, the physical production moved to San Francisco for an even longer run. I believe each of these productions were produced under the old production contract with Los Angeles and then San Francisco being the home city. As I remember, the Equity production contract used to allow a production to choose one of four home/base cities: New York, Chicago, Los Angeles and San Francisco. Having a production based i

MERRILY WE ROLL ALONG Broadway revival recoups  Mar 21 2024, 02:15:09 AM

All I know is that Sondheim would have really enjoyed Merrily’s huge success. I wish Sondheim had lived to see Here We Are too, but this turnabout - more than four decades later - would have pleased him immensely.

Here We Are  Mar 18 2024, 01:27:16 PM

Here We Are was such a visually interesting and well-directed show, and it’s one reason I regret that it wasn’t filmed/recorded for anything but the library. The cast recording won’t really do it justice, though I am glad we are getting that.

You must log in to view off-topic posts.

Videos

TICKET CENTRAL

Recommended For You