News on your favorite shows, specials & more!

Profile for bear88

Member Name: bear88
Contact User: You must be logged in to contact BWW members.

Most Recent Message Board Posts:

View Off Topic Posts

LEMPICKA Reviews  Apr 16 2024, 05:12:36 AM

I haven’t seen Lempicka, but Sara Holdren’s review was thoughtful and seemed pretty fair to me. I was glancing at Frank Rich’s reviews of Stephen Sondheim’s shows when he was the New York Times’ lead critic. Aside from describing the original Merrily as a ‘shambles’ - in the first paragraph, no less - he was disappointed with Into The Woods and Assassins too. The only raves were fo

Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 4/7/24  Apr 10 2024, 04:40:59 PM

Re: Merrily. Short-term (three mid-week performances), I doubt Groff’s absences will have any larger box office impact than Radcliffe’s. But if the revival tried to carry on without Groff, that would be a challenge. Merrily, after all, has been ‘fixed’ for years, including in identical productions years before both in the U.S. and in England. What made it really work was Groff, placed at its center in what is (almost) a memory play. He

Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 4/7/24  Apr 10 2024, 12:30:50 PM

SonofRobbieJ said: "hearthemsing22 said: "SonofRobbieJ said: "When reading Broadway Flash's posts, does anyone else have the thought 'God, I hope they're wearing their helmet today to prevent further damage'?

Just me?
"

Why so rude? Just block them. There's a handy dandy feature on here to do that.
"

Because it's too much fun reading their inanity. Plus, I think they're pretty much trolli

Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 4/7/24  Apr 10 2024, 06:27:37 AM

I am sort of fascinated by the recent strength of Hadestown, in part because I really enjoyed the musical when it opened on Broadway in 2019 and wondered how long it would run. Even when the box office was weak, after the show reopened during the pandemic, it would consistently come close to selling out - which made me wonder if it was becoming one of those shows that tourists will check out because it’s a familiar name.

That seems to be playing out with s

HERE WE ARE heads to the recording studio  Apr 5 2024, 06:41:45 PM

Maybe it’s obvious, but it is not clear to me if any of interludes will include the bishop’s conversation with Marianne. There isn’t really any music with that, as I recall, so perhaps not.

Mayer-helmed GALILEO musical and more part of Berkeley Rep season  Apr 4 2024, 11:50:59 PM

CoffeeBreak said: "I hope the writers listen to Mayer.  The reading we saw was NOT good.  It's good he has a "name" - because the material was not great then."

Did you see the 2019 reading, which was directed by Mayer and starred Esparza and Solea Pfeiffer? Or the earlier one from 2014? The same bookwriter and composers were involved by 2019.

CABARET at the Kit Kat Club Previews  Apr 4 2024, 12:41:35 AM

Natascia Diaz was a terrific Sally in the San Francisco Playhouse production of Follies a couple of years ago. One of my favorite performances, and she played the character a little differently each time I saw the show. Not surprised she’s doing well in Cabaret.

Mayer-helmed GALILEO musical and more part of Berkeley Rep season  Apr 3 2024, 01:36:29 AM

I have tickets to this on the Sunday after it opens next month. The musical has been bouncing around for a decade. There was a reported reading in 2014 and another apparently in 2019. Michael Weiner has been involved in the musical from the start. Zoe Sarnak, his co-composer and lyricist, wasn’t involved in earlier versions of the show, from what I can tell. I have never seen Raul Esparza live before, so that will be interesting.

CABARET at the Kit Kat Club Previews  Apr 2 2024, 03:23:24 AM

I am just relieved to have reached the point that the comments are about the actual Broadway musical.

DeBose to host the 77th Annual Tony Awards (2024) at Lincoln Center  Mar 28 2024, 04:42:16 AM

DeBose did a good job last year, especially with that opening dance. As others have noted, she keeps getting work in high-profile movies. She’s not a mainstream star who will draw non-Broadway audiences, but that’s a ratings issue. I doubt people are clamoring to do the gig. 

Show That Have Sat Down  Mar 25 2024, 04:29:15 PM

bowtie7 said: "Phantom had a sit down production in Los Angeles. After it closed, the physical production moved to San Francisco for an even longer run. I believe each of these productions were produced under the old production contract with Los Angeles and then San Francisco being the home city. As I remember, the Equity production contract used to allow a production to choose one of four home/base cities: New York, Chicago, Los Angeles and San Francisco. Having a production based i

MERRILY WE ROLL ALONG Broadway revival recoups  Mar 21 2024, 02:15:09 AM

All I know is that Sondheim would have really enjoyed Merrily’s huge success. I wish Sondheim had lived to see Here We Are too, but this turnabout - more than four decades later - would have pleased him immensely.

Here We Are  Mar 18 2024, 01:27:16 PM

Here We Are was such a visually interesting and well-directed show, and it’s one reason I regret that it wasn’t filmed/recorded for anything but the library. The cast recording won’t really do it justice, though I am glad we are getting that.

A STRANGE LOOP coming to San Francisco in April 2024  Mar 18 2024, 05:12:36 AM

Snagged tickets to the fourth preview of A Strange Loop. From the looks of it, ACT is not selling balcony seats, so the seating capacity at the Toni Rembe Theater (formerly the Geary) is about 800 for each performance. There are a few $25 seats available on the far sides, although I paid more ($75.50 each, including fees) for fifth-row side orchestra seats on a Saturday night. Prices go up after the show officially opens, except for the $25 seats.

While most of the c

THE NOTEBOOK Opening Night Critics’ Reviews  Mar 15 2024, 03:45:04 AM

The big question for The Notebook is whether these tepid reviews will be irrelevant to the musical’s target audience or whether they may reflect the show’s word of mouth.

It’s a new musical in a crowded spring season without stars. Will people who loved the movie flock to the stage show? Will they like it?

SWEENEY TODD To Close On May 5, 2024  Mar 13 2024, 03:10:57 AM

When I saw the revival in previews almost a year ago to the day, my spouse asked me what I thought afterward, knowing it was the show I most looked forward to seeing on our trip. Without thinking much, I said, ‘mixed,’ somewhat to her surprise.

There was plenty to enjoy, and given director Thomas Kail’s decision to emphasize entertainment even if it detracted from the source material, I didn’t even mind the hyped-up, enthusiastic audience. It was fun. But so

Days of Wine and Roses to Close Early  Mar 7 2024, 08:30:23 PM

With some trepidation, I recommended the musical to my daughter when she was in New York City on a quick weekend trip in late January. (I never saw it.) She liked the show, but primarily for O’Hara and James. Very impressed with them.

I have been surprised just how badly it seemed to do from the outset in its Broadway run. I guess everyone who wanted to see the musical caught it off-Broadway last year.

Why did Shuffle Along fall off the face of the Earth?  Mar 5 2024, 05:35:05 AM

I saw Shuffle Along in the middle of previews, meaning that I saw a different version of the musical than in early previews or after it opened. The ridiculous talent of the cast, the ‘Pennsylvania Graveyard Shuffle’ dance, Savion Glover’s choreography in general, Audra, the irresistibly charming Brandon Victor Dixon, the absurdly talented Adrienne Warren, Brian Stokes Mitchell, Joshua Henry, even Amber Iman on an early dual role. I’m leaving out

HERE WE ARE heads to the recording studio  Mar 1 2024, 04:52:04 AM

Green’s description makes it sound like we will be getting a fair amount of dialogue with underscoring. For people like me who have seen the show, that is promising. For those who haven’t, it may be less interesting.

I still wish some entity had done a professional video of the whole show, because the production itself was so impressively done. But as I mentioned earlier in the thread, I will take what I can get.

Baker's Wife in Into The Woods Arc  Feb 24 2024, 02:51:33 AM

The death of the Baker’s Wife in Into the Woods is probably one of the most jarring deaths in musical theater. in part because it just happens, very abruptly, to the most likeable character in the show who is its star. Any question of what the second act was about was definitely answered then. It’s good Lapine and Sondheim got rid of the poison apple, because that would have strongly suggested she was being punished for eating forbidden fruit. I will h

You must log in to view off-topic posts.

Videos

TICKET CENTRAL

Recommended For You