News on your favorite shows, specials & more!

Profile for bear88

Member Name: bear88
Contact User: You must be logged in to contact BWW members.

Most Recent Message Board Posts:

View Off Topic Posts

Kit Connor, Rachel Zegler to star in Sam Gold-directed ROMEO + JULIET
 Jul 18 2024, 09:18:35 PM

incomesabby said: "Kad said: "It’s also worth reminding people that Gen Z includes people nowin their mid-twenties, folks who are entirely capable of buying tickets on their own."

Ha. This made me laugh, because it’s true. I am Gen Z, nearing mid-twenties, have a corporate job, and give most of my discretionary spending $$ to experiences like broadway/theatre.

As I’ve stated here, I am the exact target audience for t

My daughter’s late September trip to London
 Jul 17 2024, 04:12:20 AM

My daughter is a young adult with plenty of experience planning New York City trips and shows she wants to see. She doesn’t need my help to make such choices, but it’s been 30 years since I have been to London on my honeymoon and almost randomly picking a musical revival to see. I had never heard of it, but my bride wanted to see a light musical comedy after a heavier play the night before. The revival? She Loves Me.

So if the people on this board, many of who

My daughter’s late September trip to London
 Jul 16 2024, 11:52:54 PM

My daughter, lucky her, is headed to London and Paris on vacation in late September (after Sept. 21, and I know a lot of shows close or switch casts then). It’s been a very long time since I have been to London so I had a few questions on her behalf.

The first is the logistics and the best way to get tickets. She would rather not buy anything in advance. Is there some equivalent of TKTS there? Rush? Just head to the theater where the show she wants is playing? Sorry for the extre

Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 7/7/24
 Jul 10 2024, 03:47:05 AM

TaffyDavenport said: "BAREly_Wicked said:

"Merrily’s top ticket states $949, but we know some were going for $1299 in the final week. Anyone have insight on the discrepancy?"

Top price was actually$1499.
"

We saw the various asking prices on the website (or at the box office) but do we have any idea if anyone actually paid $1,299 or $1,499? The results suggest no, that the top price they actually got was $949 (someone cou

MERRILY WE ROLL ALONG Reviews
 Jul 7 2024, 09:43:38 PM

Charley Kringas Inc said: "I was not expecting the held final note and it ran me down like a train, splitting my heart wide open. It's one of those perfect theatre moments where the show loads you with emotions and guides you to an epiphany that allows you to release them. It dams you up and then blows you apart."

I loved Maria Friedman’s memory play structure of the show, which led to that final note by the chorus and the haunting piano notes. I have p

Jul 6 2024, 11:05:12 AM

The prices for today’s shows are a lot better on StubHub, and I read online someone who waited until an hour before showtime got a ticket last night for less than $190.

Jul 4 2024, 10:53:08 AM

Mr. Wormwood said: "bear88 said: "Factoring in profits and critical acclaim, where doesMerrily We Roll Alongrank on the list of successful revivals?Chicagois in a class by itself, of course.The Music Manmade big money but the revival didn’t get as much critical acclaim or Tonyslove.Funny Girlessentially restarted with Lea Michele but even she didn’t sell out the entire run.Hello, Dolly!seems like the most obvious comp,

Jul 4 2024, 04:27:18 AM

Factoring in profits and critical acclaim, where does Merrily We Roll Along rank on the list of successful revivals? Chicago is in a class by itself, of course. The Music Man made big money but the revival didn’t get as much critical acclaim or Tonys love. Funny Girl  essentially restarted with Lea Michele but even she didn’t sell out the entire run. Hello, Dolly! seems like th

Jul 4 2024, 04:25:34 AM

double post

Nobody Loves You #First Preview Thoughts
 Jun 27 2024, 03:19:46 PM

Kad said: "The bots have found god and mediocre forgotten off-Broadway musicals!"

This show has not been completely forgotten. It’s part of ACT in San Francisco’s 2024-25 season. Nobody Loves You premieres February 28, 2025 and runs through March. My spouse thought it sounded fun. This thread is a bit discouraging as far as the show having much entertainment value, but it’s probably worth a rush ticket. And it’s alw

THE LEHMAN TRILOGY Returning to Broadway This Fall?
 Jun 24 2024, 04:23:10 AM

ACT in San Francisco had a very solid, if postponed, production of what I assume was a version of the London and Broadway play - co-produced by the National Theatre - that closed this month. Given the amount of resources that clearly went into it, I got an almost absurd bargain: $15 rush tickets for premium orchestra seats, bought 90 minutes before curtain. I almost felt guilty about it.

Jun 19 2024, 11:38:28 PM

PalJoey said: "In New York for a brief trip and can see Merrily either Friday or Saturday evening the 21st or 22nd. Is either onemore likely to have all 3 leads?"

I don’t know if you got your ticket yet, but it sounds like Friday night is the better bet due to likely filming.

New Merrily Pro-Shot?
 Jun 18 2024, 07:57:37 PM

My wife, who loves Jersey Boys without apology, still asks about that elusive pro-shot.

Yeah, I am glad this production of Merrily is being filmed - but I will wait and see.

2024 Tony Awards
 Jun 16 2024, 09:39:11 PM

There wasn’t much point in having Stereophonic perform if they were going to give them so little time.

The 77th Annual Tony Award Snubs!
 Jun 16 2024, 09:34:01 PM

brdwybound04 said: "I’m am shocked, floored, and gutted that Maria Friedman was snubbed and robbed of her Best Direction Tony!! She single handedly saved “Merrily” from the ash heaps of musical theatre failure, yet somehow did not win!?!?!?"

Might the fact that she saved it a dozen years ago have hurt her? 

2024 Tony Awards
 Jun 16 2024, 09:04:12 PM

ElephantLoveMedley said: "DidThe Outsiders' chances of winning Best Musical just skyrocket?"

Who knows, but my assumption is yes.

2024 Tony Awards
 Jun 14 2024, 03:32:46 PM

The New York Times' annual "Talk to Tony Voters" story has some noteworthy results: Michael Paulson, who talked to a quarter of the voters, said The Outsiders is ahead of Hell's Kitchen, with Suffs picking up support from a "substantial minority" of voters. Illinoise and Water for Elephants are not contenders, he writes. It sounds like many voters are looking for an excuse not to vote

Welch’s GATSBY to premiere in 2024 ART
 Jun 14 2024, 09:52:43 AM

TaffyDavenport said: "‘Gatsby’ Review: A Smartly Stinging Musical Adaptation With Spectacle, Grit and Florence Welch Tunes

https://variety.com/2024/legit/reviews/gatsby-review-musical-florence-welch-american-repertory-theater-1236037189/
"

The producers couldn’t have asked for a more glowing review than that.

New Merrily Pro-Shot?
 Jun 12 2024, 09:43:46 PM

I’m going to wait for something more official than this. As TaffyDavenport notes, the person who wrote that their seats were being moved due to filming had Friday, June 21. The person on Reddit has Monday, June 17 (as Kad notes, the day after the Tonys) and June 18 (first performance after the Tonys). I assume the signs are in front of the Hudson, but I am not making assumptions about what it’s for yet.

COMPANY Revival On Tour - News & Discussion Thread
 Jun 11 2024, 04:04:30 AM

Saw this Saturday night, from about the same location as ChairinMain with an audience that, like me, was enthusiastic and hoping to love it. I have never seen Company in person. And while it was great to hear the songs and see some of the clever, if sometimes too clever, staging, the revisal didn't really work for me. Intellectually, it makes perfect sense to turn Bobby into Bobbie, with concerns about biological clocks. But Marianne Elliott's changes seemed to emph

You must log in to view off-topic posts.

Videos

TICKET CENTRAL

Recommended For You