News on your favorite shows, specials & more!

Profile for characterism

Member Name: characterism
Contact User: You must be logged in to contact BWW members.

Most Recent Message Board Posts:

View Off Topic Posts

Songs That Sound An Awful Lot Like Other Songs
 Mar 22 2019, 09:09:41 AM
"Chief Cook and Bottle Washer" from The Rink and "I Want to go To Hollywood" from Grand Hotel have some similarities.
Framing the Cursed Child Poster?
 Aug 20 2018, 02:05:03 PM

I thought I remember seeing a post about this a while back but could not find it.

I recently saw Cursed Child, bought both posters and got the regular one signed.  I'm now at a loss on the best way to frame them since they are such an off size (59.5cm x 37cm or 23.43" x 14.6".  I might just buy a 24" x 36" or 24" x 30" and put them side by side.  If I did the larger option I would probably stick my tickets or playbills in there as well

But, I wanted to see if anyone else has framed theirs and if so, what you went with (if it wasn't custom).

Harry Potter and the Cursed Child Seating/Pricing Thread
 Feb 8 2018, 11:12:08 AM

I had a very low queue number, but there are no tickets available that I saw that were less than the 199 per part price point.  All of the dates I looked at had those and above available.  Good luck!

Shows You Grew to Dislike After Being Involved With a Production of It?
 Jan 12 2018, 02:25:38 PM

Chicago.  I still love listening to the cast album(s), but the production I was in was very poorly handled by the director.  It left a bad taste in most everyone involved's mouth.

What Cast recordings do you own on vinyl?
 Nov 30 2017, 09:36:08 AM

I started collecting vinyl cast albums around 2 years ago and have amassed ~150. All of them have come from used book store type places. Most of the places around where I live don't put a lot of value on the cast albums, so I got most of them for 0.50-1.00 (a steal to me!) I don't own any vinyls of "newer" shows, however.

What Are Five Broadway Songs Guaranteed to Make You Cry?
 Sep 5 2017, 01:37:47 PM

5. Happiness - You're a Good Man Charlie Brown (happy tears)

4. Night Will Come - Groundhog Day

3. I'll Cover You (Reprise) - RENT

2. Being Alive - Company

1. No One is Alone & Children Will Listen - Into the Woods

The King and I National Tour
 Jul 27 2017, 11:57:05 AM

carolinaguy, I have Saturday matinee season tickets at DPAC and Botts was indeed on.  A friend who went Friday evening saw LMK and said that at some point it looked as if she was wincing while trying to get up, leading me to believe she may have been out Saturday for a minor injury.  I wish I had gotten to see her, but Botts was lovely.

Play That Goes Wrong Balcony View
 Jun 30 2017, 08:25:33 AM

I bought tickets for the balcony through TodayTix late May and was seated house left.  The view wasn't necessarily awful.

Some actors/crew came into the audience pre-show, interacting with everyone.  My husband and I had a good back and forth with a few them as well as "the director" and one of them upgraded us to center orchestra seats. The view from there was of course fantastic. I don't know if they do this every show, but if you do end up in the bal

My Current Broadway Ratings...Please Post Yours
 Jun 23 2017, 02:02:16 PM

Shows I've seen with some thoughts on shows from this season:

HAMILTON - A+.

GROUNDHOG DAY - A.  I honestly did not think I would enjoy the show this much, but it was funny and heartfelt.  I recognize it has some flow issues but I still love it.

PHANTOM OF THE OPERA - A.

WICKED - A.

SWEENEY TODD (BARROW STREET) - A. I saw Lewis and Carmello and both were great fits but Carmello really shined. Also, the pies were delicious.

THE

Bitter Losers Tony Thread
 Jun 12 2017, 01:26:11 PM

I agree with most of the Dear Evan Hansen posts on here regarding its issues.  One I want to add that bothered me a lot was Evan's character in general.  No one in the show, other than Evan's mom, had a true arc or depth of character and I expected a lot more for Evan.  I get that they likely kept him plain so that people can just project themselves onto him, but that did not work for me at all. Instead, he came across as a kid whose only personality

Great Comet and NOT sitting on stage
 Jun 9 2017, 09:51:26 AM

I sat in the last row of the mezzanine, center, and I loved it.  There's a lot to take in, and back there you have a view of everything except the orchestra.  There was a platform two rows in front of me, which was cool as well. They really did a fantastic job with the staging to make sure that every seat is "involved."

Decline in Quality
 Jun 7 2017, 11:38:41 AM

I saw Phantom ~2 years ago with James Barbour and thought the show was as amazing as ever. One could say that the audience has seen a "decline in quality" though.  Lots of people with zero theatre etiquette and ushers seating people well into "Think of Me"... I know it's essentially just a tourist staple now, but yeesh.

Overrated Musicals Of The Last Ten Years
 May 31 2017, 01:48:11 PM

Adding one that hasn't been listed yet: Beautiful.

This show was gratingly annoying to me. I went in knowing around half the songs and just wanted to enjoy myself because hey, it's a jukebox musical. But, the whole plot felt like "remember this hit song!" one after the other. I left not caring about her life story at all. It also didn't help that her best song was not even really in the show, but was the curtain call.

My #1 overrated show ever is

Interesting things to do in NYC for theatre lovers
 May 5 2017, 08:21:27 AM

Someone mentioned a Broadway tour. I did one with Broadway Up Close two years ago.  The guy who owned it gave our tour, which ended up being a private tour since we were the only people signed up for that slot!  It was an awesome experience and he seemed to really enjoy doing it given that we were theatre nerds. It looks like they now have three different tours and also one specifically for Hamilton. I'd recommended it.

We are going back in a

Sweeney Todd Off Broadway Performances
 Feb 23 2017, 11:35:40 AM

I have tickets second row Mezzanine in May and did not receive a refund/exchange email either, Squeakers :/

Sweeney Todd Off Broadway Performances
 Feb 17 2017, 11:51:35 AM

I have tickets (with pies) for the second row upstairs in May and I just noticed on their website that those seats are now not able to purchase pies. I really hope that doesn't mean when we get there we'll be turned away for the food...

Also, when I purchased the tickets those seats were not listed as partial view, and now are (as others are mentioning)

Guess North Carolina Theatre's 2017-18 Season
 Feb 9 2017, 01:55:31 PM

Wonder Years was my thought as well (TV show + jacket), so I guess that means there's a new production happening there (ala NERDS?).

I haven't seen a show at NCT since A Chorus Line, but if Gypsy turns out to be correct I may have to go back.  Really excited for DPAC releasing their season soon.

Room has been adapted for the stage
 Nov 30 2016, 04:33:46 PM

When I first read this thread title my mind went to "The Room" (you're tearing me apart Lisa!).  Mercifully I was thinking of the wrong movie.  That's one adaptation the world does not need.

Your First Broadway Show
 Jul 18 2016, 11:22:35 AM

My first Broadway show was 9 to 5 while it was still in previews mid-April 2009.  I was on a trip with my high school drama club and our teacher, who was a really big Dolly Parton fan, got to pick the shows. I liked it well enough at the time, but after seeing a few more Broadway shows and many many tours since then I can see why it didn't last.  Megan Hilty and Stephanie J Block were fantastic though.

The first Broadway Tour I saw, however, w

You must log in to view off-topic posts.

Videos

TICKET CENTRAL

Recommended For You