pixeltracker

Interesting things to do in NYC for theatre lovers

Interesting things to do in NYC for theatre lovers

Emma White Profile Photo
Emma White
#1Interesting things to do in NYC for theatre lovers
Posted: 5/5/17 at 2:16am

I'm in NYC, it's supposed to be rainy tomorrow, and I'm wondering if there are any lesser-known cool places to visit, see, experience for theatre fans. Open to anything: stores, museums, libraries, sites, anything theatre related. Thoughts?

"Nice is different than good."

Javi Profile Photo
Javi
#2Interesting things to do in NYC for theatre lovers
Posted: 5/5/17 at 2:20am

You can do a tour of Radio City Music Hall. I went last week. 

There is also a Disney on Broadway tour. 

dramamama611 Profile Photo
dramamama611
#3Interesting things to do in NYC for theatre lovers
Posted: 5/5/17 at 2:22am

The Drama Bookstore on W 40th. I could spend hours browsing.

If we're not having fun, then why are we doing it? These are DISCUSSION boards, not mutual admiration boards. Discussion only occurs when we are willing to hear what others are thinking, regardless of whether it is alignment to our own thoughts.

MoveOnGypsy Profile Photo
MoveOnGypsy
#4Interesting things to do in NYC for theatre lovers
Posted: 5/5/17 at 7:11am

The lincoln center library for the performing arts always has fascinating displays on theater related topics. They are running one called "Curtain Up: Celebrating the last 40 years of theater in New York and London" until June. It's just breathtaking. I try to go there at least twice a year.

https://www.nypl.org/locations/lpa

mmFan Profile Photo
mmFan
#5Interesting things to do in NYC for theatre lovers
Posted: 5/5/17 at 8:09am

If you're there Saturday morning (10am), they have a Behind the Emerald Curtain tour that is neat.  It shows you props with a couple Wicked ensemble leading it.  We did it last Saturday at enjoyed.

A couple years ago we also took a Broadway tour that we really enjoyed.  The guy took us around the area and talked about various theatres, history and stories.  I forget the name of the one we took but there are a few of them out there.

We also enjoyed the Radio City Music Hall tour.

Updated On: 5/5/17 at 08:09 AM

uncageg Profile Photo
uncageg
#6Interesting things to do in NYC for theatre lovers
Posted: 5/5/17 at 8:18am

The CURTAIN UP exhibit is still open at the Perforimg Arts Library in Lincoln Center. It is a nice exhibit.

I second the Drama Bookstore and Radio City. 

Javi, do they still take you under the stage and put you on the lift?

Just give the world Love.

characterism
#7Interesting things to do in NYC for theatre lovers
Posted: 5/5/17 at 8:21am

Someone mentioned a Broadway tour. I did one with Broadway Up Close two years ago.  The guy who owned it gave our tour, which ended up being a private tour since we were the only people signed up for that slot!  It was an awesome experience and he seemed to really enjoy doing it given that we were theatre nerds. It looks like they now have three different tours and also one specifically for Hamilton. I'd recommended it.

We are going back in a few weeks so this thread is helpful for me finding new things to do as well!

mmFan Profile Photo
mmFan
#8Interesting things to do in NYC for theatre lovers
Posted: 5/5/17 at 8:28am

characterism said: "Someone mentioned a Broadway tour. I did one with Broadway Up Close two years ago.  The guy who owned it gave our tour, which ended up being a private tour since we were the only people signed up for that slot!  It was an awesome experience and he seemed to really enjoy doing it given that we were theatre nerds. It looks like they now have three different tours and also one specifically for Hamilton. I'd recommended it.

We are going back in a few weeks so this thread is helpful for me finding new things to do as well!
"

Yes...Broadway Up Close...I think that's the tour that we did too.  And same here, the main guy ran it.  It was great and highly recommend it.

SeanD2
#10Interesting things to do in NYC for theatre lovers
Posted: 5/5/17 at 9:26am

I recommend a visit to the Paley Center. You can watch a lot of great theater related television programming that's never been commercially available.

https://www.paleycenter.org/visit-visitny

Javi Profile Photo
Javi
#11Interesting things to do in NYC for theatre lovers
Posted: 5/5/17 at 5:36pm

Uncageg, unfortunateky, when I did the Radio City Music Hall tour last week, there was an event that was scheduled in the auditorium that day (the screening of the Godfather movies as part of the TriBeCa Film Festival) which meant that we couldn't even go into the auditorium. We went up to a projection room quite high up and looked at the auditorium from there. However, I have read reviews on TripAdvisor where people describe going onstage or under the stage, sonny suggestion is that if anyone was thinking of doing a tour, check that there's no scheduled use of the auditorium that day. They never told us when we picked up the tickets. I wish they had said that the tour was going to be not the usual tour. 

Steve C. Profile Photo
Steve C.
#12Interesting things to do in NYC for theatre lovers
Posted: 5/5/17 at 6:11pm

SeanD2 said: "I recommend a visit to the Paley Center. You can watch a lot of great theater related television programming that's never been commercially available.

https://www.paleycenter.org/visit-visitny

I totally agree w/Sean. You could actually spend days there; we're trying to schedule time there too. The thing is to try and go in with a definite list because you can get lost in Broadway history. Even LCT material, old PBS shows. We're going to see what we can find looking up old "Hollywood Palace" shows with Carol Channing, Pearl Bailey, Louis Armstrong, Ethel Merman clips...

I Can Has Cheezburger With This?

Speed
#13Interesting things to do in NYC for theatre lovers
Posted: 5/5/17 at 7:38pm

Go to the Paley Center for Media at 25 W 52nd Street and watch old Tony Awards broadcasts.

MadonnaMusical Profile Photo
MadonnaMusical
#14Interesting things to do in NYC for theatre lovers
Posted: 5/5/17 at 8:21pm

Speed said: "Go to the Paley Center for Media at 25 W 52nd Street and watch old Tony Awards broadcasts.

"

Wow I did not know this was a thing. 

Speed
#15Interesting things to do in NYC for theatre lovers
Posted: 5/6/17 at 5:09pm

Yeah.  I haven't been there in awhile but when I used to go all the time, you got on a computer and searched for TV shows that they have in their collection.  You pick 3 and then watch them on a TV with headphones.  

My favorite Tony's are 93 & 94.

Updated On: 5/6/17 at 05:09 PM

BrodyFosse123 Profile Photo
BrodyFosse123
#16Interesting things to do in NYC for theatre lovers
Posted: 5/6/17 at 10:40pm

Go to the Paley Center for Media at 25 W 52nd Street and watch old Tony Awards broadcasts.

Um, they're all available on YouTube in their entirety including the original commercials.  

Videos