News on your favorite shows, specials & more!

Profile for Jazzman714

Member Name: Jazzman714
Contact User: You must be logged in to contact BWW members.

Most Recent Message Board Posts:

View Off Topic Posts

King Lear  Mar 22 2019, 08:03:16 AM

I have to agree with Duckie4. The direction CAN affect the text when there are too many interesting but disparate choices made in both casting and presentation. The clutter of the props (dishes and cutlery everywhere), the blandness of the pivotal storm scene, and the wildly uneven performances all distracted from the text.

King Lear  Mar 13 2019, 08:56:26 AM

SPOILERS AHEAD

An exhausting production in more ways than one. The first act is exactly 2 hours and it felt much longer. (It also does not help that all the ushers continually warn us of its length AND that you will not be allowed back into your seat if you leave for the bathroom. This Rudin policy is very irritating.)

Emasculation and impotence. Those are the themes of this production of Lear. To further this message, Gold has cast women in three of the pivotal male ro

Will I Make It in Time?  Jan 2 2019, 04:33:08 PM

Oy - I'm stressed out just by thinking about it. It's certainly possible to make an 8pm curtain, but why put yourself through all of that worry? Best option: assume you will NOT make it by 8, then if you DO magically get to Times Square before 8pm, try grabbing a ticket at the TKTS line. In the past, I've walked up to the ticket window at 7:45 and been in a theater seat by curtain time.

Barbra's Oscar  Jun 23 2018, 05:18:31 PM

She totally deserved both.

THE BOYS IN THE BAND (2018) Previews  May 28 2018, 06:19:26 AM

If we could just not hate ourselves so much.That's it, you know.If we could just learn not to hate ourselves...quite so very much."

BWAY Baby2 said: "This is turning into The Boys In The Boards."

Ha! Spot on! :)

HELLO, DOLLY! Sets August 25 Closing Date; Bette Midler to Return July 17  Apr 29 2018, 06:08:32 PM

SherrieByTheSea said: "Stage Door Sally said: "2 hours 40 minutes including one intermission."

Thank you. Trying to figure out trains already
"

But also keep in mind that this show usually begins about 10 minutes late (in order to more fairly enforce the 'no late seating' rule).  

Official Bernadette Peters in Hello, Dolly! performances thread  Feb 23 2018, 10:54:11 AM

CT2NYC said: "DottieD'Luscia said: "CT2NYC, I understand what you mean, as I felt the same way when I saw the show twice during Bette's final weekend. I think once the original cast starting leaving, the chemistry of the production changed. I didn't feel that way when I saw the show in November with Donna Murphy though.

That being said, I have a ticket for the show on Saturday. I hope Christian Dante White is on as Cornelius.
"

Havi

Santino Fontana to Join Hello, Dolly as Cornelius!!  Feb 21 2018, 08:49:06 PM

CurtainPullDowner said: "Dante White has a great voice but his comedy sense was lacking and he was rather stiffwhen I saw him."

I disagree.  I thought White was adorable in the role.  And his voice was perfect. He turned me into a fan.

The Gospel Accoring To Scott Rudin  Feb 15 2018, 04:29:42 PM

Jeez - you people are being way too hard on HarveNYC. He's right -- this "no water allowed" rule is bull$hit. When I'm paying top dollar for a ticket, I don't need to be treated like a child or a peon. And guys, yes: water IS essential and during a two hour+ show can be invaluable.

That being said, HarveNYC, in the future just bring a small 8 oz bottle with you. I fit it into my pants pocket and the security guards -- who are completely distracted by their search

JERRY SPRINGER TONIGHT CANCELLED  Feb 14 2018, 10:14:49 AM

LightsOut90 said: "has Will Swenson ever been able to get through the run of a show without being out a bunch of times?

when I saw Priscilla his understudy was on, when I saw Murder Ballad his understudy (who was quiet good) was on, when I saw Little Miss Sunshine I mentioned this to him and he goes "you're lucky I almost called out this evening" and now he's apparently out of Springer.
"

I saw Priscilla with Swenson  You wer

Riedel on Groff as Bobby Darin possibly coming to Broadway  Feb 14 2018, 10:07:41 AM

mamaleh said: "Dodd Darin turned 65 in 2016, so I guess he stands to benefit from the proposed musical about his father’s life."

Actually, Dodd was born in 1961, making him 55 in 2016.

Gavin creel in hello dolly  Feb 9 2018, 08:48:21 AM

The (very excellant) "Hello Dolly" bootleg that's been making the rounds online is from a March '17 preview in which White performed. He's amazing.

Goodspeed cancels Woody's show  Jan 26 2018, 09:37:22 AM

dramamama611 said:
I don't know the truth, don't pretend to. But truth be told, I've always found him creepy....and marrying his very young step daughter is pretty disgusting. I don't know how anyone could find someone that they once bathed, tucked into bed, & kissed "boo-boos" for, to ever sexually appealing or a romantic possibility. It might not be illegal (as adult incest is not in most states) but it does say something about a person."

Hello Dolly Tickets - 2 Available 1/14 at 2pm  Jan 9 2018, 03:55:23 PM

haterobics said: "I was able to flip my second row single side orchestra ticket for $500 last week, and think I dodged a bullet there. "

Yes, you lucked out.

Bette Midler's Final HELLO, DOLLY! Performance Will Benefit the Actors Fund  Jan 9 2018, 03:51:52 PM

As for why they are going under face, I think there are a lot of people who bought tickets to flip for a profit, and they are realizing that there are more of them than there are people who want high priced tickets. The benefit didn't help either, since it made this not her last show."

Exactly right!  I was one of those poor fools who bought an orchestra ticket for the 2pm show thinking it would be her last performance. I didn't expect to make a mint - bu

Hello Dolly Tickets - 2 Available 1/14 at 2pm  Jan 8 2018, 07:10:34 PM

I'm surprised at the lack of interest too. I listed a single orchestra ticket for 1/14 on Stubhub last week and had no interest. I was asking $375 (not a crazy price considering it's Bette's last day.) Today I reduced it to $260, and it sold by dinnertime. 

Next for Bette Midler?  Nov 28 2017, 01:38:19 PM

Christian Dante White's amazing performance was captured in that bootleg. His performance as Cornelius is all the more amazing when you consider that, at that early preview, he'd had very little (if any) stage rehearsal time. It's a smooth and confident performance.

Barbra Streisand claims that she will never tour again!  Nov 21 2017, 02:49:55 PM

During this last 2016/17 tour, I felt that her formidable voice was at 80% of what it had been at her peak.  A very respectable performance – especially at age 75.  Nothing to be embarrassed about.  But the reality is: the voice can only go downhill from here.  Best for her to retire from touring while she’s still on top.

What You Paid vs. What You Got  Aug 15 2017, 10:31:39 AM

Paid almost $400 total for two orchestra seats to see Bette this past April.  Not a single regret.

Slightly off-topic: I paid $220 for a seat at the Barbra Streisand concert last August and felt a little bit of buyer's remorse. I was quite far away from the stage and basically relied on the diamond screens to watch the performance. I could have had the same experience watching a video at home. 

Getting to Newark airport early in the morning after seeing a show the previous evening  Aug 14 2017, 09:05:00 AM

I strongly urge the OP to stay in a hotel near the airport Sunday night. Traveling early on Labor Day morning is fraught with potential delays, slow-downs, reduced-holiday train schedules, cancellations, etc.  You'll sleep better Sunday night and have a lot less stress Monday morning. 

You must log in to view off-topic posts.

Videos

TICKET CENTRAL

Recommended For You