News on your favorite shows, specials & more!

Profile for saxpower

Member Name: saxpower
Contact User: You must be logged in to contact BWW members.

Most Recent Message Board Posts:

View Off Topic Posts

What Next For The Majestic?  Apr 29 2024, 05:45:49 PM

bwaylyric said: "The new MAJESTIC sign went up, and it is gorgeous!"

I suppose the installation of a "MAJESTIC" sign signals the rumored renaming isn't happening. 

2024 Tony Predictions  Apr 26 2024, 01:52:14 PM

A question/thought about Illinoise winning best musical

I remember in past years' (post-nomination) predictions as to who/what would win various award, it was noted Tony voters sometimes take the"business of Broadway" into consideration- in other words, they may (consciously or not) be more likely to vote for a result which they perceive will result in better overall grosses. 

If that's the case, would voters want to award "bes

SUFFS Previews  Apr 16 2024, 12:44:49 PM

The "Inside the Playbill" has been posted on Playbill Vault, suggesting the show is frozen. 

Disney Opening a new show at the New Amsterdam this September?  Apr 10 2024, 05:34:59 PM

“The New Amsterdam Theater is currently seeking friendly, enthusiastic, and reliable individuals with strong communication skills to join the Ushering Team for the opening of one of our shows in September.”

The "for the opening of one of our shows" language seems odd.  The New Amsterdam is going to have one show at a time.  However, the language makes more sense if Disney Theatricals is

THE OUTSIDERS Broadway Previews  Apr 10 2024, 01:24:41 AM

Opening night is on Thursday so not sure if it was a press performance this evening. It's in great shape and probably 'frozen' by now."

The "Inside the Playbill" is posted on Playbill Vault, which suggests it's frozen as well. 

Hinton Battle has died  Jan 30 2024, 05:19:33 PM

There's some amazing dancing going on in Heaven tonight.  Chita must have needed a partner. 

An Oversaturated Spring? Data and opinions...  Jan 25 2024, 01:38:03 PM

There's an upper limit to how many shows people can or will see in a short period.   There's only so much "oxygen" to go around and with this many shows either all of them get a small amount or someone is left without.   It may not be possible for multiple shows to get good box offices all at the same time, which also affects word of mouth and Tony-related "momentum".  There just may not be enough "butts in seats" to sustain this

Theatres Offered - But Kindly Declined.  Jan 11 2024, 02:02:54 PM

How much was the Hellinger really in the mix for Phantom?  If it did go in there, we'd have an additional active theatre (assuming the Nederlanders didn't sell Times Square Church one of their other theatres). 

What Next For The Majestic?  Dec 6 2023, 09:02:48 PM

Is there some sort of open passageway from 45th to 44th between the Shoenfeld/Broadhurst and the Booth/Shubert?  It kind of looks like there is on satellite view and street view on Google Maps.  This would avoid the crowds In Shubert Alley.  It also looks like there's a door from the stage area to 44th street if they want a short route.

I never like talking about putting something else in a theatre which already has a show, but if they are doing it next season, and d

LEMPICKA announcement teased for next week  Nov 30 2023, 01:15:02 PM

There may have been issues with the fact they could not remove them due to the theatre's landmarked status. 

ErmengardeStopSniveling said: "You'd think Shubert would have moved heaven and earth to get rid of those pesky poles when they renovated the Longacre fifteen years ago!"

Groban & Ashford in SWEENEY TODD On Broadway  Nov 7 2023, 12:52:32 AM

Interestingly, the show's website currently has NO ONE listed for Tobias.  Felix Torres-Ponce is still listed as Ensemble. This may suggests (as suggested by the prior poster) he is filling in temporarily until Daniel (or whoever the permanent replacement is) becomes available. 

Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 9/17/23  Sep 20 2023, 05:27:37 PM

DrMonicaDeMoneco said: "saxpower said: "Kimberly Akimbo is still making money, but barely. It likely won't make it past January, but for that's in line with what you would expect for a run for such a quirky little musical that could.I am going to assume they announce in October a January closing and try ride out "Last chance to see this year's Tony Winner for best musical."While 14 months is less than the runs forFun HomeandThe Band's Visit, whi

Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 9/17/23  Sep 20 2023, 12:48:07 PM

Kimberly Akimbo is still making money, but barely. It likely won't make it past January, but for that's in line with what you would expect for a run for such a quirky little musical that could.I am going to assume they announce in October a January closing and try ride out "Last chance to see this year's Tony Winner for best musical."While 14 months is less than the runs forFun HomeandThe Band's Visit, which both ran for about 16 months with how the calendar shap

STARLIGHT EXPRESS will return to London in 2024  Sep 19 2023, 10:04:20 AM

rosscoe(au) said: "Just please do the original score. No rap, no stupid changes. This is such a guilty pleasure of a show."

At the very least, reinstate "Only He/Only You"- I cannot understand why that was cut. 

Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 9/10/23  Sep 12 2023, 11:02:06 PM

I also wouldn't be surprised to see Kimberly announce a January closing ahead of time to juice the final months of sales

Do we know what's happening cast-wise after the one-year anniversary in November? KA seems to be the type of show to attract a more "theatre people" audience, for whom the cast may make a difference if the producers want to hold on through the end of the year (or longer). 

What's Next for the Imperial?  Aug 5 2023, 01:20:29 PM

RWPrincess said: "The Karate Kid?

Dang.  Beat me to the guess! 

Back To The Future previews  Jul 31 2023, 09:45:55 PM

Given the effects, is it better to sit in the rear orchestra (behind the premium seats) or does the overhang cut enough off the mezzanine is a better idea?

Ball to star in ALW’s new reimagined ASPECTS OF LOVE  May 23 2023, 11:51:27 PM

Robbie2 said: "https://www.aspectsoflove.com/"

Have they restructured the show with respect to Jenny?  There's only one actress listed as playing her (usually there is a younger and (relatively) older version

Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 5/7/23  May 9 2023, 06:23:21 PM

charlie525600 said: "For the person who asked "How can there be 48 shows in 41 theatres". There were 34 Broadway shows running last week."

Broadway World's data originally said 48 shows were running (despite listing 34 shows). They have since dorrected it. 

Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 5/7/23  May 9 2023, 03:21:50 PM

Probably I'm missing something obvious, but how can their be 48 shows in 41 theatres?  I can't think of any shows sharing theatres at the moment. 

You must log in to view off-topic posts.

Videos

TICKET CENTRAL

Recommended For You