News on your favorite shows, specials & more!
pixeltracker

STARLIGHT EXPRESS will return to London in 2024

STARLIGHT EXPRESS will return to London in 2024

jacobsnchz14 Profile Photo
jacobsnchz14
#1STARLIGHT EXPRESS will return to London in 2024
Posted: 9/19/23 at 7:17am

Michael Harrison for Lloyd Webber Harrison Musicals is thrilled to announce that, next summer, Andrew Lloyd Webber’s STARLIGHT EXPRESS, which has been seen by over 20 million people across the world, will make its triumphant return to London.

This brand-new production will open in the purpose-built, specially designed Starlight Auditorium at Troubadour Wembley Park Theatre, with performances from 8th June 2024.

A true theatrical event, STARLIGHT EXPRESS will fully immerse audiences of all ages inside a world of speed, song and storytelling as an incredible cast of 40 whizz around and above, performing some of musical theatre’s most beloved songs, including AC/DC, Make Up My Heart, Light at the End of the Tunnel and the iconic Starlight Express.

As a child’s train set magically comes to life and the engines race to become the fastest in the world, Rusty the steam train has little hope of winning until he is inspired by the legend of the ‘Starlight Express’.

With music by Andrew Lloyd Webber and lyrics by Richard Stilgoe, the creative team for this new production is helmed by acclaimed director Luke Sheppard (&Juliet, The Little Big Things), set designer Tim Hatley (Back to the Future), video designer Andrzej Goulding (Life of Pi), costume designer Gabriella Slade (Six), lighting designer Howard Hudson (&Juliet) and sound designer Gareth Owen (MJ the Musical) with new orchestrations and musical supervision by Matthew Brind.

With thrilling new choreography by Ashley Nottingham (Pacific Overtures), STARLIGHT EXPRESS also sees the return of Arlene Phillips as creative dramaturg.

Ticket on-sale details will be announced in due course. In the meantime, sign up for more information and updates at – starlightexpresslondon.com

https://theatrefan.co.uk/andrew-lloyd-webbers-starlight-express-london-revival-announced-troubadour-wembley-park-theatre-summer-2024/

Jordan Catalano Profile Photo
Jordan Catalano
#2STARLIGHT EXPRESS will return to London in 2024
Posted: 9/19/23 at 7:33am

I’ve never seen this show live and with the team behind this production, I’m pretty excited for next summer. 

RippedMan Profile Photo
RippedMan
#3STARLIGHT EXPRESS will return to London in 2024
Posted: 9/19/23 at 7:51am

Agreed! Garbage show but I love the idea of a purpose built space and an immersive show. Count me in! 

Dylan Smith4 Profile Photo
Dylan Smith4
#4STARLIGHT EXPRESS will return to London in 2024
Posted: 9/19/23 at 8:27am

This sounds interesting. Definitely would like to check this out!

The idea is to work and to experiment. Some things will be creatively successful, some things will succeed at the box office, and some things will only - which is the biggest only - teach you things that see the future. And they're probably as valuable as any of your successes. -Harold Prince

rosscoe(au) Profile Photo
rosscoe(au)
#5STARLIGHT EXPRESS will return to London in 2024
Posted: 9/19/23 at 8:43am

Just please do the original score. No rap, no stupid changes. This is such a guilty pleasure of a show. 

Well I didn't want to get into it, but he's a Satanist. Every full moon he sacrifices 4 puppies to the Dark Lord and smears their blood on his paino. This should help you understand the score for Wicked a little bit more. Tazber's: Reply to Is Stephen Schwartz a Practicing Christian

jacobsnchz14 Profile Photo
jacobsnchz14
#6STARLIGHT EXPRESS will return to London in 2024
Posted: 9/19/23 at 9:07am

Recently released single

saxpower
#7STARLIGHT EXPRESS will return to London in 2024
Posted: 9/19/23 at 10:04am

rosscoe(au) said: "Just please do the original score. No rap, no stupid changes. This is such a guilty pleasure of a show."

At the very least, reinstate "Only He/Only You"- I cannot understand why that was cut. 

CATSNYrevival Profile Photo
CATSNYrevival
#8STARLIGHT EXPRESS will return to London in 2024
Posted: 9/19/23 at 12:15pm

As far as the changes go, I prefer the 1992 rewrites, mainly the Vegas version with CB reinstated. The majority of the changes that came after that are baffling to me. I suspect this new production will incorporate the unfortunate 2018 revisions that gave us Momma instead of Papa, “I Got Me” and a whole batch of other nonsense changes. I understand the desire to update some of the misogyny that was built into the original productions with female characters being relegated to carriages only but “A Lotta Locomotion” could still be used with a few lyric tweaks. Writing a whole new song for that section is not necessary and the new songs that have taken that spot are never as good.

I’m curious to see what the new creative team has in store, but ultimately I think it might be a mistake to put this show in a purpose built space and not use the iconic original costume designs by John Napier. His scenery designs changed with every new production but the costumes gave the show its identity and ultimately I think it could end up being a mistake to give audiences something entirely new when there’s probably a large portion of ticket buyers, especially in London, who will be seeking nostalgia.

I like the artwork though.

Jordan Catalano
#9STARLIGHT EXPRESS will return to London in 2024
Posted: 9/19/23 at 12:19pm

Webber’s video message this morning made me think significant changes are being made to every aspect of this show. 

Jarethan
#10STARLIGHT EXPRESS will return to London in 2024
Posted: 9/19/23 at 12:32pm

I never saw this in NYC, but saw it twice in a huge theatre that was humungous.  The skating was around the theatre, not concentrated in the stage, as was the NYC production.  It was just so much fun.

I imagine that the enormous success of the ABBA show, which was also staged at a site specifically designed for it, has influenced the decision  re specially designed venue.  

Since the original show ran over 12 years, I assume this is a much loved show in England.  Just wondering whether a revival / revisal can attract the sizable audiences they will probably require for years, as was the expectation with the ABBA show.  Will be interesting to see how this evolves.

RippedMan Profile Photo
RippedMan
#11STARLIGHT EXPRESS will return to London in 2024
Posted: 9/19/23 at 2:34pm

That’s what I love about theater in Germany. They seem

to build entire theaters just for one specific show. 

Bill Snibson Profile Photo
Bill Snibson
#12STARLIGHT EXPRESS will return to London in 2024
Posted: 9/19/23 at 3:42pm

jacobsnchz14 said: "

Starlight is one of those shows that needs to be encapsulated in a bubble of "80's weird pop shows" It just is what it is and doesn't need fixing. This song is trash and an attempt to try and be "Six" which it will never be nor does it need to be. It's a dumb show about trains...and the set was AMAZING!

Recently released single"

Jordan Catalano
#13STARLIGHT EXPRESS will return to London in 2024
Posted: 9/19/23 at 7:00pm

I went to see "The Little Big Things" again tonight and realized that the director of that (who did a BRILLIANT job) is directing "Starlight" so I have full faith it will at least look incredible. 

Theatre Fan3
#14STARLIGHT EXPRESS will return to London in 2024
Posted: 9/19/23 at 8:58pm

I saw the original London production several times. It was like nothing you'd even seen in a theatre before.  First time I believe we were sitting in the front of the Dress Circle ... one of the racing tracks had been built right in front of it so the performers came whizzing by right in front of you.  Another time we were seated in the stalls.  There was an oval track that extended out into the stalls and we were seated right in the middle of that track so they were racing all around us.  It really was an "Experience" to see it ... so much fun!!  Disappointed that it doesn't open until June as our next trip to London is in April but hoping since they are completely redesigning the theatre specifically for the show that they are hoping for an extended run and hopefully we could catch it the next trip around.

Theatre Fan3
#15STARLIGHT EXPRESS will return to London in 2024
Posted: 9/19/23 at 10:13pm

Interesting video on the background of the Broadway version of Starlight.

Bill Snibson Profile Photo
Bill Snibson
#16STARLIGHT EXPRESS will return to London in 2024
Posted: 9/20/23 at 12:02am

The set was so insanely amazing and like nothing we will ever have the chance to experience again.  

fashionguru_23 Profile Photo
fashionguru_23
#17STARLIGHT EXPRESS will return to London in 2024
Posted: 9/20/23 at 8:45am

"Ok ok ok ok ok ok ok. Have you guys heard about fidget spinners!?" ~Patti LuPone

LuckyDipster Profile Photo
LuckyDipster
#18STARLIGHT EXPRESS will return to London in 2024
Posted: 9/20/23 at 5:10pm

Starlight Express was the first West End show I ever saw back in the 90s and I loved it.  I still listen to some of the songs from back then.  I'm not so keen on the new stuff that was added over the years, but that's probably just my nostalgia.  The thing that excites me about this new production is Tim Hatley.  Having the set designer of Back To The Future feels like a good fit for this show.

Det95
#19STARLIGHT EXPRESS will return to London in 2024
Posted: 9/21/23 at 8:19am

Getting to see Starlight definitely wasn't on my 2024 bingo card, but there's no way I'm gonna miss this when I'm in London at the same time.

Wick3 Profile Photo
Wick3
#20STARLIGHT EXPRESS will return to London in 2024
Posted: 9/21/23 at 7:22pm

I was a kid when I watched this musical in Las Vegas and was in complete awe with what I saw! Got the CD and listened to the soundtrack and hope to see it live someday. I'll be seeing this in London in 2024 for sure!

If the production in Bochum Germany ever have English version I'd go there too (my understanding is they used to have an English performance a few times a year before covid.)

chrishuyen
#21STARLIGHT EXPRESS will return to London in 2024
Posted: 2/28/24 at 3:16pm

I actually just went to Bochum a couple weeks ago for the sole purpose of seeing this despite not really being familiar with the show before (though I did listen to the cast albums a few times beforehand just to familiarize myself), and I've now fallen into a deep deep rabbit hole around this show, to the point where I'm considering another London trip later this year (even though I just went during this same trip).

The new song I Am Me is also used in Bochum (and reprised at least twice) and while it's ridiculously catchy and keeps getting stuck in my head, I don't think it's nearly as charming as A Lotta Locomotion (and lyrically doesn't make that much sense).  I don't mind I Do, but I think Only He/Only You does a better job tying back into the rest of the show, especially the duet version (and also has more train puns).

I'm also curious about ALW's assertions that this will be a brand new production, and even more intrigued by his conviction that steam is the power of the future (lol).  But I like a lot of the creative team based on other things I've seen so I'm very intrigued (especially by the set elements)

metropolis10111 Profile Photo
metropolis10111
#22STARLIGHT EXPRESS will return to London in 2024
Posted: 2/28/24 at 6:35pm

As one that has an odd distinction of seeing every professional production of this in the world from Japan to Mexico to Vegas I will totally join you in that trip. 

Theatre Fan3
#23STARLIGHT EXPRESS will return to London in 2024
Posted: 5/26/24 at 6:15pm

Have Will Martin or Rebecca Wright ever performed in the West End?  I ran across a couple Youtube videos of them performing a couple of songs from the 2009 New Zealand tour ... would have really enjoyed seeing them perform these live.  I was lucky enough to have seen the original London production several times and will be returning to London this coming October and really looking forward to seeing this new production.

CATSNYrevival Profile Photo
CATSNYrevival
#24STARLIGHT EXPRESS will return to London in 2024
Posted: 6/8/24 at 6:34pm

Is anyone here seeing this soon? I'm anxious to read reports and get a song list.

RippedMan Profile Photo
RippedMan
#25STARLIGHT EXPRESS will return to London in 2024
Posted: 6/8/24 at 6:54pm

Someone on reddit posted the auditorium design and it looks pretty cool.

Videos